HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

3/27 Daily Discussion Thread - Rivals

View Poll Results: Who is the biggest rival for Minnesota?
Anaheim 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Colorado 0 0%
Dallas 1 20.00%
Vancouver 3 60.00%
Themselves (or) the Wild have no rivals 1 20.00%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
3/27 Daily Discussion Thread - Rivals

This seems to be an interesting topic to start things off on. Depending on who you talk to, the Wild have a few different "hated" teams based on geography, history, division and playoffs. They include (in alphabetical order):

-Anaheim: Two playoff series, Brad May on Kim Johnsson

-Chicago: Old Norris Division rivals, Minnesota-Chicago rivalries are prevalent in baseball and football.

-Colorado: Same division, two playoff series, Andrew Brunette retiring Patrick Roy

-Dallas: Norm Green, former Minnesota team, won a Stanley Cup which was eluded by the team during their Minnesota years

-Vancouver: Same division, 2003 Playoff series, Ohlund slash on Koivu

Which team is Minnesota's most hated and the biggest rival? Or do the Wild have another team not mentioned or even no rivals? Discuss.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:51 AM
mnwildgophers

I think I can say that I view Vancouver as our biggest rival because of the 2003 playoff series and they just always seem to play dirty against us at least. Colorado is a close second because I also can't stand them because of the playoff series with them too.

I wasn't able to vote on the poll (it wouldn't let me), but we seem to be pretty good rivals with everyone in our division except for the Oilers, I just don't feel that much hatred towards them.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:43 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Vancouver easily. They hate us up there and we hate them down here. Plus I hate that smug basterd Louongo more than anyone in the league I think.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I don't believe the Wild have a rival and are probably one of two least-received teams because of it. While there are some great games against Vancouver, that has more to do with the team itself than actually rival hatred. I'm sure if you ask the Canucks Minnesota is about sixth or seventh on the list now as those playoff feelings have died down.

Minnesota also has the unfortunate regard of being in a division which it is isolated from the other four cities and have no pre-existing sports rivalries (unless someone wants to count Wolves-Nuggets or Minnesota-DU). The Wild are the youngest team in the NHL and while NHL hockey has existed in the Twin Cities before, none of the built up rivalries the North Stars had are able to continue due to the fact Minnesota is not in the old Norris Division and face those teams six times a year. It's just not an ideal situation to build a rivalry.

So basically until Minnesota becomes a perennial playoff contender or a second team ends up in Minneapolis (don't count Winnipeg because of the Canadian angle - fans of those teams really don't care about the American teams), I can't see the Wild having a major rival.

Old
03-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I voted Vancouver, because I think it is the Wild's biggest rival in the minds of the fans; however, I agree with you Gopher that Canucks fans would say Calgary, Calgary fans would say Edmonton, etc. The fact that the Wild have faded compared to Vancouver has also diminished what could have become a pretty good rivalry.

I remember the wonderful rivalry the Stars had with Chicago, and hope for the Wild to earn such a rival in years to come.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Actually the saddest thing is that Minnesota should be more pissed off at Dallas but fans aren't. It seems like that has died too (partially due to the division thing and partially due to time), although it ends up being everyone's Winter Classic match-up for both teams. That should probably speak volumes.

Old
03-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I don't believe the Wild have a rival and are probably one of two least-received teams because of it. While there are some great games against Vancouver, that has more to do with the team itself than actually rival hatred. I'm sure if you ask the Canucks Minnesota is about sixth or seventh on the list now as those playoff feelings have died down.

Minnesota also has the unfortunate regard of being in a division which it is isolated from the other four cities and have no pre-existing sports rivalries (unless someone wants to count Wolves-Nuggets or Minnesota-DU). The Wild are the youngest team in the NHL and while NHL hockey has existed in the Twin Cities before, none of the built up rivalries the North Stars had are able to continue due to the fact Minnesota is not in the old Norris Division and face those teams six times a year. It's just not an ideal situation to build a rivalry.

So basically until Minnesota becomes a perennial playoff contender or a second team ends up in Minneapolis (don't count Winnipeg because of the Canadian angle - fans of those teams really don't care about the American teams), I can't see the Wild having a major rival.
This sums up my feelings on the topic.

However, for discussion purposes, I did vote Vancouver because it is the closest thing to a rival the Wild have. Cooke sucker punching Marshall, spearing Matt Johnson, Ohlund slash on Koivu, Burrows vs. Bouchard, etc. But, since Cooke/Bert/Ohlund are gone and Burrows has become a successful winger with the Sedins, the games are more anti-climatic than what they were even a few years ago.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote