Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

hamburg freezers/brandon reid

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2005, 02:26 PM
neg marron

vCash: 500
hamburg freezers/brandon reid

how strong is this hockey team as well as the league they play in also were any players from this league on the world cup team for germany

also what do you guys in germany think of brandon reid

Old
02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg marron
how strong is this hockey team as well as the league they play in also were any players from this league on the world cup team for germany

also what do you guys in germany think of brandon reid
Hi Neg,

Currently, the Swedish, Czech, Finnish and Russian leagues are better than the German DEL. Still, anyone in the know can look at the rosters at www.del.org and realize that there are a ton of ex-NHLers and ex-AHLers, not to mentione quite a few lockout players. The league is a strong one and more or less all but 5 German national players are plying their trade right here in the DEL.

Brandon Reid has made pretty much exactly the impact that Micki Dupont made in the DEL before. He came in as a 23 year old guy on the cusp of the NHL and has gathered slightly over a point per game. Although surely one of the leagues top 5 fastest players, he has by no means dominated. He's good, but there are a good 20 other guys in this league that I'd classify as better. As a gage, long-time fourth liner Craig Johnson is playing on Reid's line and has 19-25-44 while Reid has 16-23-39. Certainly, Johnson is a good DELer, but was nothing more than a journeyman in the NHL. In addition, Hamburg has had lots of injuries and many have questioned managements decisions seeing as how many of the players they've got are old, underachieving or simply wrong for the team's make-up. Jim Dowd was probably the mistake of the year!

Old
02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Sanderson

I don't think there are up to 20 guys better than Reid. The best lockout players and Lebeau are clearly ahead of him, but the rest is pretty close.
Reid tends to play around too much, his decision-making ability isn't quite there yet, but his vision and his moves are superb.

I'd say Johnson & Reid are the second best duo in the league, right behind Lebeau & Norris.
Reid is the playmaker and creative energy of the team, while Johnson is more of a finisher. Right now Johnson is better, one of the best wingers in the league, but the team lacks creativity without Reid.

I don't really think the other leagues (with the exception of Russia) are better than the DEL, either. Some of them have superior local-talent, but they don't have as many foreigners. The lockout maybe changed that a bit, but it won't last forever.

Old
02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
I don't think there are up to 20 guys better than Reid. The best lockout players and Lebeau are clearly ahead of him, but the rest is pretty close. Reid tends to play around too much, his decision-making ability isn't quite there yet, but his vision and his moves are superb.
That's why there are 20 better guys in this league. I'd rather have a Kreutzer, Hackert or a Lewandowski than a Reid, because Reid tries 10 cutsy plays a game of which one or two often lead to a goal. He's not bad, but he's too much dipsy-doodle and he's easily removed from the puck. His feet are obviously faster than his mind.

Quote:
I'd say Johnson & Reid are the second best duo in the league, right behind Lebeau & Norris.
Hmmmm, interesting. When I think of it, I can't really think of a better duo either, although I'm sure many would say that Stastny/Tapper or Kelly/Hecht or Walker/Pederson aren't that far behind, even if their stats are only similar or worse.

Quote:
Reid is the playmaker and creative energy of the team, while Johnson is more of a finisher. Right now Johnson is better, one of the best wingers in the league, but the team lacks creativity without Reid.
That's for sure! In fact, they were lacking it WITH him too. This forward group needs another Johnson and Reid (Purdie and House, please report...) in addition if they wanna do something in the playoffs.

Quote:
I don't really think the other leagues (with the exception of Russia) are better than the DEL, either. Some of them have superior local-talent, but they don't have as many foreigners. The lockout maybe changed that a bit, but it won't last forever.
Well, seeing how Frankfurt did at that European league thing a few weeks ago, I dunno. I think WITH the NHL guys here, almost any team in Sweden and the Czech Republic, much less the top clubs in Russia, could beat even the best of the DEL teams every day of the week.

Switzerland is surely no worse than Germany either!

Closed Thread