HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers call up Carter Hutton

Old
03-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Flyguy_1ca

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Flyers call up Carter Hutton

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...er_goalie.html

The Flyers have called up goalie Carter Hutton, freshly signed from UMass-Lowell, to replace the injured Johan Backlund on the Flyers' roster.

Hutton was signed last week by the Flyers, straight from college.

Hutton, 24, played his college hockey at the University of Massachusetts Lowell of Hockey East. The Ontario native lead Hockey East in goals-against average (2.04), save percentage (0.928) and shutouts (4) last season. He posted a 13-12-2 record in 27 games played.

Hutton completed his four-year career at UMass-Lowell as the school's all-time leader in shutouts (10) and goals-against average (2.33) and is tied for the career lead in save percentage (0.913)

Man I hope they play him!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Like Duchesne, he'll also get his very own jersey to take home with him when his recall is over.

Link failed btw

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'm totally hyping this kid, and it's working.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...er_goalie.html

The Flyers have called up goalie Carter Hutton, freshly signed from UMass-Lowell, to replace the injured Johan Backlund on the Flyers' roster.

Hutton was signed last week by the Flyers, straight from college.

Hutton, 24, played his college hockey at the University of Massachusetts Lowell of Hockey East. The Ontario native lead Hockey East in goals-against average (2.04), save percentage (0.928) and shutouts (4) last season. He posted a 13-12-2 record in 27 games played.

Hutton completed his four-year career at UMass-Lowell as the school's all-time leader in shutouts (10) and goals-against average (2.33) and is tied for the career lead in save percentage (0.913)

Man I hope they play him!
Well, forget my call for Holmgren to be fired. He's clearly done a great job in solving the goaltending riddle

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's kind of interesting though. They'd rather call him up than Duchesne and Teslak both of whom have been working with the lower staff employed by the organization.

Old
03-27-2010, 11:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Well, forget my call for Holmgren to be fired. He's clearly done a great job in solving the goaltending riddle
Take any organization, count down to the 5th goalie on the depth chart, and then call me when you see someone ready to jump in and contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's kind of interesting though. They'd rather call him up than Duchesne and Teslak both of whom have been working with the lower staff employed by the organization.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but Hutton has been unbelievable. On top of that, both Teslak and Duchesne are terrible.

EDIT: Here's the link because the one at the top isn't working.

Old
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I know, but he's been in the organization for a week.

Old
03-27-2010, 11:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Can't he only play on weekends?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Can't he only play on weekends?
Yeah, that was the case. I'm not sure if he finished up with school or can put it on hold for the NHL. I mean this does mean he gets a contract and not just an ATO.

Quote:
I know, but he's been in the organization for a week.
With our options being him, Nicola Riopel, Jeremy Duchesne, and Michael Teslak...I take Carter Hutton. He's shown me a lot more in a few games than Riopel has outside of the Q and the other two have ever shown.

Old
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Garbage Goal

I'd take Hutton over Riopel just because I don't want to rush Riopel. Teslak and to a lesser extent Duchesne aren't really options right now with Hutton in front of them.

Can Hutton play in the playoffs? If he can be called up now then I don't see why he can't be used for the playoffs.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Take any organization, count down to the 5th goalie on the depth chart, and then call me when you see someone ready to jump in and contribute.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but Hutton has been unbelievable. On top of that, both Teslak and Duchesne are terrible.

EDIT: Here's the link because the one at the top isn't working.
Uh, maybe if the GM had treated the position of goalie with more of a priority than say, 7th defenseman, they wouldn't be on their 5th goalie.

They signed Ray Emery, which was a huge gamble based on his off ice history alone. The fall back was Brian Boucher, who obviously wasn't up to the job. He caught lightning in a bottle with Leighton.

Maybe, if, in the first place he had gone after a safer bet to be the starter in June or July, we wouldn't have to be on the Carter Hutton bandwagon.

Oh, BTW, Brian Boucher was SECOND on the depth chart, not 5th. So how bad is it when the guy who is second isn't a good option

Last edited by Scoopyten: 03-28-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Unless he had an ATO with the Flyers, which is only good for one game.

Hutton isn't listed on the Flyers chart on capgeek, so was it an AHL-only or ATO with the Phantoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'd take Hutton over Riopel just because I don't want to rush Riopel. Teslak and to a lesser extent Duchesne aren't really options right now with Hutton in front of them.

Can Hutton play in the playoffs? If he can be called up now then I don't see why he can't be used for the playoffs.
College players can play in the playoffs after being signed at the end of their college seasons.

Which is a good rule, or else more NHL teams would raid college teams earlier in the season and before their conference tournaments because they want him in their camp for the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Uh, maybe if the GM had treated the position of goalie with more of a priority than say, 7th defenseman, they wouldn't be on their 5th goalie.

They signed Ray Emery, which was a huge gamble based on his off ice history alone. The fall back was Brian Boucher, who obviously wasn't up to the job. He caught lightning in a bottle with Leighton.

Maybe, if, in the first place he had gone after a safer bet to be the starter in June or July, we wouldn't have to be on the Carter Hutton bandwagon.

Oh, BTW, Brian Boucher was SECOND on the depth chart, not 5th. So how bad is it when the guy who is second isn't a good option
1. Emery - hurt
2. Boucher - healthy now
3. Leighton - hurt
4. Backlund - hurt
5. Hutton - called up

Also, blaming Holmgren for three injured goalies is laughable.

Quote:
Unless he had an ATO with the Flyers, which is only good for one game.

Hutton isn't listed on the Flyers chart on capgeek, so was it an AHL-only or ATO with the Phantoms?
Capgeek doesn't have it. I checked, but this just happened. Give it time.

However, I'm fairly certain Hutton was on an ATO with the Phantoms. He had ZERO actual affiliation to the Flyers NHL team. That I know for sure.

Quote:
College players can play in the playoffs after being signed at the end of their college seasons.

Which is a good rule, or else more NHL teams would raid college teams earlier in the season and before their conference tournaments because they want him in their camp for the playoffs.
I agree.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Boosh started the season as second on the depth chart, he's currently third. Could have been fourth if Backlund didn't get injured.

I don't see how bad luck with injuries has a correlation with how you treat your position in goal. Emery was as good as any other option out there at the time and it's not like his injury was predictable. It's not like goalies like Lundqivst, Luongo, and Brodeur are immune to injuries.

He did catch lightning in a bottle with Leighton, but he did get a reliable person to replace Emery regardless. Then he gets injured. Then today our fourth string shows promise to step in and take the reigns, then he gets injured.

I don't see how any of those injuries are his fault. If you're argument is that he should have signed someone different as the backup during the off-season then please suggest who.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I wanna take bets as to what number he'll be assigned

Old
03-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
1. Emery - hurt
2. Boucher - healthy now
3. Leighton - hurt
4. Backlund - hurt
5. Hutton - called up

Also, blaming Holmgren for three injured goalies is laughable.
Not blaming Holmgren for 3 injured goalies. I'm blaming Holmgren for taking a big gamble with the most important position in the sport without hedging his bets with a quality second option.

Maybe you're not capable of being objective, but the original starter was a big risk for off ice issues. Not having a capable second option from the get go was a bad call. The injuries simply compounded the original mistake.

Maybe you've missed other posts I have made, but I'll sum them up here-for three years, Paul Holmgren has been the GM of a team that can not stick to a plan. He's mismanaged the cap and other assets like draft choices. His teams have been inconsistent for 3 plus years.

The folks that seem to defend Holmgren lean on the 2008 ECF run, which was largely due to a great run by an average goalie, and a guy who is a 2nd-3rd line tweener having every puck he shot against Montreal find it's way into the net.

He has done nothing but spend a lot of Comcast's money on talented, but underachieving teams. My problem isn't Carter Hutton, it's that the GM failed to plan for the possibility that his reclamation project wouldn't work out.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:14 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Not blaming Holmgren for 3 injured goalies. I'm blaming Holmgren for taking a big gamble with the most important position in the sport without hedging his bets with a quality second option.

Maybe you're not capable of being objective, but the original starter was a big risk for off ice issues. Not having a capable second option from the get go was a bad call. The injuries simply compounded the original mistake.

Maybe you've missed other posts I have made, but I'll sum them up here-for three years, Paul Holmgren has been the GM of a team that can not stick to a plan. He's mismanaged the cap and other assets like draft choices. His teams have been inconsistent for 3 plus years.

The folks that seem to defend Holmgren lean on the 2008 ECF run, which was largely due to a great run by an average goalie, and a guy who is a 2nd-3rd line tweener having every puck he shot against Montreal find it's way into the net.

He has done nothing but spend a lot of Comcast's money on talented, but underachieving teams. My problem isn't Carter Hutton, it's that the GM failed to plan for the possibility that his reclamation project wouldn't work out.
I'm starting to lose my patience for people who are wrong and/or make irrelevant points.

I strongly urge you to take some time, and rethink everything you are claiming.

If not, please take it to a new thread so as not to derail the thread about the only person within the Flyers' organization currently bringing any semblance of joy to my hockey world.

Last edited by CS: 03-28-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old
03-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Boosh started the season as second on the depth chart, he's currently third. Could have been fourth if Backlund didn't get injured.

I don't see how bad luck with injuries has a correlation with how you treat your position in goal. Emery was as good as any other option out there at the time and it's not like his injury was predictable. It's not like goalies like Lundqivst, Luongo, and Brodeur are immune to injuries.

He did catch lightning in a bottle with Leighton, but he did get a reliable person to replace Emery regardless. Then he gets injured. Then today our fourth string shows promise to step in and take the reigns, then he gets injured.

I don't see how any of those injuries are his fault. If you're argument is that he should have signed someone different as the backup during the off-season then please suggest who.
Actually, Boucher is now first on the depth chart.

The injuries are not predictable. Please show me exactly where I suggested they were predictable. What I said was, that given his off ice history, Ray Emery-good goalie or not-was a gamble. His back-up plan was Boucher, who has failed to the point where they have to turn to the 4th, 5th and 6th options in net.

Leighton was a waiver claim from the worst team in the NHL at the time. He did play very well, until he got hurt. But giving Holmgren credit for getting lucky with Leighton is the same as blaming him for the injuries.

And, I'm not blaming him for the injuries. I blame him for not having a better back-up plan.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Hutton was given a ATO by the Phantoms. Im guessing the Flyers will sign him tomorrow.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:23 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Maybe he can play the Devils?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
I'm starting to lose my patience for people who are wrong and/or make irrelevant points.

I strongly urge you to take some time, and rethink everything you are claiming.
I strongly urge you to remove the chip from your shoulder and not to treat those who disagree with your opinions like they are doubting the word of God. Where exactly am I incorrect?

Was Emery not a risk? Hadn't his last NHL team bought out his one year old contract because of numerous issues off the ice and in the dressing room?

Has Holmgren made goaltending a priority?

Have the Flyers been a consistent hockey team during Paul Holmgren's tenure as GM?

In the run to the 2008 ECF, were the main reasons for getting past Montreal Marty Biron and RJ Umberger?

So, again, agree or don't agree, but drop the attitude that you know everything and I'm some worthless schmuck that has been watching the sport for a couple of weeks. Because guys who act like they know everything and talk down to others are worse than tiresome.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:25 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Maybe he can play the Devils?
I doubt he plays tomorrow. He just played 2 games in a row in the AHL. I would like to see him get a shot though, sometime this week.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I strongly urge you to remove the chip from your shoulder and not to treat those who disagree with your opinions like they are doubting the word of God. Where exactly am I incorrect?

Was Emery not a risk? Hadn't his last NHL team bought out his one year old contract because of numerous issues off the ice and in the dressing room?
Emery being a locker room risk was gigantically overblown. Turns out that he did just fine in the locker room here.

Quote:
Has Holmgren made goaltending a priority?
He hasn't made it a priority. It shouldn't be the priority. Skaters hold the dominant position on the ice. It shouldn't be an afterthought of course, but it definitely should not be the priority. Goaltending will obviously be the priority this offseason.

Quote:
Have the Flyers been a consistent hockey team during Paul Holmgren's tenure as GM?
Consistent enough to make the postseason? Yes. We've had set-backs; some GM-related, most not GM-related.

Quote:
In the run to the 2008 ECF, were the main reasons for getting past Montreal Marty Biron and RJ Umberger?
Briere had a good postseason that year too. Everyone quickly forgets that. Besides, Marty is the one that most Flyers fans wanted run out of town anyway. And if you choose Umberger over Carter on this team, then I have to seriously question your sanity. I love RJ too, but he's not Carter.

Quote:
So, again, agree or don't agree, but drop the attitude that you know everything and I'm some worthless schmuck that has been watching the sport for a couple of weeks. Because guys who act like they know everything and talk down to others are worse than tiresome.
I answered your questions. Happy? Now please leave this thread alone. Seriously. I like this kid. I want him to do well. It probably won't happen, but I don't need people running amuck everywhere crying about Holmgren. There's already a thread for that.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Shadeslayer813

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I doubt he plays tomorrow. He just played 2 games in a row in the AHL. I would like to see him get a shot though, sometime this week.
Pfff the flyers medical staff will "Clear" Backlund to play by then

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Emery being a locker room risk was gigantically overblown. Turns out that he did just fine in the locker room here.

He hasn't made it a priority. It shouldn't be the priority. Skaters hold the dominant position on the ice. It shouldn't be an afterthought of course, but it definitely should not be the priority. Goaltending will obviously be the priority this offseason.

Consistent enough to make the postseason? Yes. We've had set-backs; some GM-related, most not GM-related.

Briere had a good postseason that year too. Everyone quickly forgets that. Besides, Marty is the one that most Flyers fans wanted run out of town anyway. And if you choose Umberger over Carter on this team, then I have to seriously question your sanity. I love RJ too, but he's not Carter.

I answered your questions. Happy? Now please leave this thread alone. Seriously. I like this kid. I want him to do well. It probably won't happen, but I don't need people running amuck everywhere crying about Holmgren. There's already a thread for that.
My point isn't about Carter Hutton. I made a snarky comment, which you took as the opening of a can of worms. You've responded and without getting into details, you have made a couple of valid points and a few I disagree with. I'll leave it at that, as you request.

I hope that Hutton pans out. He does have great NCAA numbers.. My issue is that it's embarrassing that it's boiled down to having to sign guys out of college two years in a row for the stretch drive to fill roles on what is supposed to be such a good team.

Last edited by Scoopyten: 03-28-2010 at 12:44 AM.