HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Harry watched the game; Habs lose

Old
03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Sports1131

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Neither goalie is going to be much... In Montréal, anyways.

Especially with small forwards and an idiotic coach.

We need a goal, so what does he do ? He moves our hottest scorer (at least GPG) down and puts Pyatt in his spot. God, he's an idiot.
He's better than Carbo, but that's about all I'll give him. This obsession with Pyatt is getting to be a bit much -- Darche can contribute more to this team right now and at the very least Pyatt has absolutely no business being in a scoring role. The guy generates no offense whatsoever.

My biggest problem though is that with less than two minutes left in the game, down by a goal, he had Gill, Moen, and Moore on the ice. That stuff drove me crazy with Carbonneau and it still does now. Win and lose with your best players.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

So Price equals expectations.
Halak equals sympathy.
Couldn't have said it better.

I do believe it is stupid, but that's how it is. Price will always get heat for being a top pick, ''Gainey's golden boy'' (BUT OMG GAINEY LEFT WHY IS PRICE STILL HERE THEN?) and having the #1 spot thrown at him at 20 years old . Is it his fault? Not at all, but it encourages people to cultivate that ''lazy, stupid, spoiled brat'' perception of him whereas Halak benefices from, the ''hard working, treated unfairly, underdog'' perception.
Rooting for the underdog is always much funnier
(also, there are many bitter Huet fans! )

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:03 AM
OneSharpMarble

A truley terrible game, Montreal got out worked, outmuscled and downright outplayed. They barely looked in the same league as NJ. The best part is the total lack of emotion shown, they couldnt have given two ***** as usual. No urgency or anything, either the team is miserably slow or just can't be bothered to get pucks out of the corner.

First round knockout for this team of cream puffs with no heart.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Ginu

I still say we'll play Buffalo and this game shows how much we need Darche in front of the net.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
eightyseven

If the anti-Price media and "fans" are successful and Habs' management is stupid enough to trade him at age 22, then they'll get what they deserve when he becomes a superstar elsewhere. I guarantee it. Let's just say, I really do believe that he's got the potential to be the one of the only young, emerging stars on a Canadian franchise. Unlike the idiots who don't know anything about hockey and only repeat what the anti-Price media tells them, I can clearly see that Carey Price's technique and skill set are very, very good. Will he ever reach his potential here in Montreal? Who knows. But if we give up on him so soon, we'll regret it.

That's why I'm so disgusted with the treatment towards Price.Management basically ruined his development and now we're seeing major confidence issues...it's gotten so bad this season that Price's play is drastically different in front of his hometown fans compared to on the road where there's no pressure. Sad but true.

Anyway, best of luck to both goalies. They need to develop thick skins if they ever want to be successful here in Montreal.

Personally, I'm glad Price had the balls to say his post-game comments after the Buffalo loss because he knew he played a great game and wanted to make sure that the media understood that. The rest of the team deserved it. Price's assertiveness and confidence in his play is only beneficial to the team.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:12 AM
eightyseven

Quote:
A truley terrible game, Montreal got out worked, outmuscled and downright outplayed. They barely looked in the same league as NJ. The best part is the total lack of emotion shown, they couldnt have given two ***** as usual. No urgency or anything, either the team is miserably slow or just can't be bothered to get pucks out of the corner.

First round knockout for this team of cream puffs with no heart.
I agree. Regardless of who is in net, I doubt we make it past the 1st round. Management needs to change the philosophy in drafting and development first and foremost. These old veterans aren't getting it done and they have to rely on 24 and 22- year old goalies to bail them out. How sad is that.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

I read the GDT after it was closed. I have a few comments to make.

1)The comments about AKost were not only intemperate but they exploded in the crabs' faces like a trick cigar when he made a great goal, a great pass, and two big hits. A few games ago he scored the only 2 goals. Some people are hard to please. Trade AKost for a draft pick? Exactly what would the Habs do until that draft pick is ready for the NHL.

2) AKost and Plekanec were playing with a LW (Cammalleri) who looked as though he should still be rehabilitating. He has contributed nothing since his return. The Habs need him to score.

3) In this game Pouliot played as though he was just recovering from mononucleosis.

4) During the 6-game winning streak the 3rd and 4th lines really pitched in. Tonight they turned back into pumpkins. The Gomez line and the Plekanec line have been taking turns in doing all the scoring since then, but that's not enough to win many games. The point men have done little on the PP. Where has the PP gone? Are you still there, MAB?

5) Since the end of the Habs' winning streak Halak has been mediocre to fairly good but never once great. He seems to have Florida's number but he finds it difficult to outplay Brodeur, Elliott, or Gustavsson. He doesn't look playoff-ready. I can't think of a team he could beat.

6) The loss was costly. Once more the Bruins are in a position to overtake and pass t he Habs if they cash in on their games in hand. Ottawa? Completely out of reach. Fortunately, the Flyers are relapsing again, so that the Habs aren't losing any ground to them.

7) On an unrelated note, the Leafs are winning just enough games to frustrate the Bruins, who hold their first round pick. Maybe the Leafs can catch one or two more teams, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I love Cammy but he wasn't good tonight despite getting two points. Halak let in two stoppable goals in the second and was shaky the rest of the night, Price should start vs. Carolina on Weds.
Right, Cammaalleri got 2 cheap points while his linemates did the heavy lifting. Halak wasn't terrible but it would have been helpful if he'd given up 2 goals rather then 3.He made it impossible for the Habs to catch up. I'd add Pouliot to your gripe list tonight.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Having Subban on the back-end would completely change the look of this team, for the better.
I know it's a very nasty thought, but I keep hoping one of our D has a small injury so we can see Subban again for a few games.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:05 AM
marvelousmotion

Well, they did not felt the urge to perform tonight. No one had the drive to step up, lead and take control during those pathetic powerplays.. Very disappointed by Markov's play. It's quite rare that I criticize the guy, but really, he needs to step it up big time. He's been playing like crap lately, taking bad decisions with and without the puck.

With the loss tonight, the Trashers are only 4 points behind, with one game in hand.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Boy that crowd was silent. Even at the beginning of the game. It's like they knew it would be the Devils so it was like "why bother". lol

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
JackZap

So is JM man crush on Pyatt done with?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Agree or not, stupid or not, Halak was a 9th rounder, Price was a top 5 pick, and the chosen one by this organization, a vet was sent packing for a 2nd round pick in a year where we could have done some serious damages. The kid was sent Halak packing in order to have his spot in the Calder Cup and actually ended up winning. Won the Worlds in the process as well.

So Price equals expectations.
Halak equals sympathy.

Is it too hard to understand?

Again, not saying it should, not saying how intelligent it is, chances are they are both where they are now, should be treated equally, the world should be a better place, we should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables every day.....BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. What should happen doesn't always happen. Halak will always be viewed differently, like it or not.
I think some sympathy capital is going Prices way. Hes taking his licks, not really complaining, working in practice, being a good team guy and ppl starting to realize all his bashing is and was overdone.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:36 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
So is JM man crush on Pyatt done with?
I hope so. Both HAM and the big club need him. I am sure he has a proper name with folks lads.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Habs

I always give NJ/MTL gamees about 5 minutes of my time, then walk away knowing I have missed a snoozer that MTL will lose.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Horrible, boring game. We lost an important one here, but aren't they all important these days? I just hope we don't have to play the New Jersey Devils in the first round of the playoffs.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Fire Brunet*

It was getting so boring that we started a vague to entertain ourselves
Did they show it on tv lol?
Its the first time they lose when i go i'm mad they ruined the sequence
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:58 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
It was getting so boring that we started a vague to entertain ourselves
Did they show it on tv lol?
It the first time they lose when i go i'm mad they ruined the sequence
Posted via Mobile Device
No but Houde mentioned it.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:07 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
This team has all the tools to succeed and they freaking run around like chickens with their heads cut off.
The biggest difference between the Devils and the Habs is coaching. The two have fairly similar talent levels, but one is an extremely well-coached team with a very strong system, the other is a poorly-coached team with a weak system.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

My, oh my.

What has happened to the special teams? they go 0% on the PK and 0% on the PP

We can break down the game as much as we want but ultimately, the special teams cost the habs at least one point.

Its a little concerning to see the special teams going down the tubes after it has been one of the strong points all season. This needs to be resolved because it has let the team get away its shortcomings in the past, and it will need to do so in the future as the habs start playing the bigger teams in more meaningful games.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:53 AM
JayBee*

same old ****.

Aggressive forecheck + finish checks = habs loss.

One day I pray that I'll watch a habs team that physically dominates its opponents.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The biggest difference between the Devils and the Habs is coaching. The two have fairly similar talent levels, but one is an extremely well-coached team with a very strong system, the other is a poorly-coached team with a weak system.
I agree with your main point about coaching but there's no way our talent level is even close to being similar to the Devils'. Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac, Elias, Langenbrunner, Martin, Brodeur are all players I would take before most of the guys on our team.

Anyway, frustrating loss, if only because I could have predicted it before the game even started. This team has absolutely no killer instinct and lacks the mental fortitude to impose itself when the situation asks for it. Martin got outcoached once again and the special teams keep failing. I don't think I've seen Bergeron shoot the puck once on the PP since he came back. Sure, he's getting pressured on the point, but this team has to start making plays at some point. Stop looking for the perfect play and put shots on the damn net.

Anyway, let's hope for a big win against Carolina on Wednesday, we're gonna need that because Atlanta is only 4 points back.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:46 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I can't believe I'm about to get sucked into this, but here I go. Halak has won many big games for us this season. Remember the win in New Jersey? Halak may not have stood on his head, but he was solid and a lesser performance means we would have lost. The fact is, Halak has won a lot of good games against good teams. Why can't you guys be a fan of the team and root for everybody instead of choosing goal tenders like its some sort of gang war.
And I also can't believe I am get pulled into this. But let's be realistic.

Forget about everything else and evaluate tonite's performance. When you are playing NJ you can't afford to give up a weak goal. Halak unfortunately gave up two. He made a stellar glove stop on Kovalchuk. A couple of other nice pad stops, but really the Devils did not test him much otherwise. He looked to be fighting the puck and rebounds were not under control a few times, even on shootins

Do we write off Halak because of this performance. Of course not. He has done a good job more times than not. But no way he was "solid" other than giving up two soft goals. You have to call it what it was, and criticism is certainly valid

We have scored more goals this year than NJ. To beat them your goalie can't allow the soft variety. End of story

PS: I'd start Halak next game anyway. I don't think he has had consecutive bad starts.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Atlanta plays Carolina before us and if they win that, Wednesday's even bigger. Friday at Philly is the biggie and knowing our play at home this year- dull and uninspired- and our record in important games, plus against Buffalo in general, we could be actually just 2 points up on 9th or squared. I wonder if Price starts the Philly game. It's a scary weekend ahead after the Carolina game for sure. Luckily we end with visits to the Isle and Carolina and a home game with the Leafs. I'd be content with 8th right now. The sickening thing is that we see just how uninspired this team is when everyone's healthy. Where's the heart? Oh yeah, we only show it when Cammy or Bergeron is out. So many passengers doing nothing at the big time this year.

AK's a scapegoat but he is one of many and some are worse offenders (Lapierre, Hamrlik) and some just need to step it up more (AK, his bro, Gill). Without Metro, we might actually try now? But look up at the teams 1-5 in the East and you'll note we've got a losing record against nearly all of 'em. At least it's cut and dry this season: We are not an Eastern elite and are nowhere close to it. So we should stop thinking and wishing for it and hope this team somehow has an extra gear for the playoffs that we've yet to see. Sadly that 6 game win streak might've been the peak. I still think we're playoff-bound but 6th might be stretching it considering the pivotal losses we've been piling up.

And no matter the goalie we put in, we will be outplayed by a superior team and be constantly outmuscled, outworked along the boards, pushed around and victimized in our own zone. And our coaching staff is doing nothing to curtail it. It's a finesse team playing defense-first and a soft team trying to play gritty. Sorry Martin, that ain't gonna cut it. Really, unlike in 2006 and 2004 when I saw some heart, I don't think we can get much more out of the 09-10 Habs. We'll have our lowest point total in seven years if we don't win 4 of our remaining 6, yet that still might be good enough for playoffs... this time around. How many years have the Habs backed in on the final week?

2004- Lost 3 of last 5, clinched playoff spot with an OT loss at Boston
2006- Lost final 2 games, clinched spot when Atlanta lost to underdog Washington 6-4.
2007- Lost final 2 games to blow 8th spot and miss the playoffs by 2 points
2008- No problemo this time
2009- Lost last 5 games, clinched spot with OT loss at Boston
2010- ???

Is it too much to ask to go into the playoffs on a winning tear?

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

on a positive note I like how our defense played this game. Although, NJ's style isn't to overload the opposition so it's no big achievement to have made few defensive errors against them.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote