HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Harry watched the game; Habs lose

Old
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
My, oh my.

What has happened to the special teams? they go 0% on the PK and 0% on the PP

We can break down the game as much as we want but ultimately, the special teams cost the habs at least one point.

Its a little concerning to see the special teams going down the tubes after it has been one of the strong points all season. This needs to be resolved because it has let the team get away its shortcomings in the past, and it will need to do so in the future as the habs start playing the bigger teams in more meaningful games.
What is it now, 6 for our last 45 on the PP? Our special teams always choke when it matters. Somehow, trends are reversed. Our vaunted PP of 07-08 went stone cold in the playoffs. In 05-06, our PP went dry against Carolina when the series returned to Montreal. In 03-04 our PP was #10 and it was average in the playoffs. In 2002 it was middle-of-the-pack but torched the Bruins in the first round.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaad64 View Post
I do not care what they say, we should be ready for New Jersey !

If there is no training, then coaching staff do not care to win !
Our pro scouting is some of the league's worst. We never look ready for some opponents and play right into their hands like it's some sort of simulation.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:58 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Boy that crowd was silent. Even at the beginning of the game. It's like they knew it would be the Devils so it was like "why bother". lol
The last game I was at vs NJ in the Bell it was the same deal.

I don't think the crowd gets pessimistic about losing to NJ as much as the expectation that they are going to see yet another "made in New Jersey" game that sucks all the energy out of you. Except for our goals it always seems hard to get excited about what either team is doing. The Devils have even managed to make Kovalchuk dull and he was the first star! LOL

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:12 AM
Habs13

Any news on Metro?? I missed the first seven minutes of the game... did Hal Gill drop the gloves???

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:30 AM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Any news on Metro?? I missed the first seven minutes of the game... did Hal Gill drop the gloves???
He dropped them, but just for viewing purposes, it wouldn't have made a difference if he was wearing them or not - He didn't throw a punch.

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
First round knockout for this team of cream puffs with no heart.
This is why i haven't been excited about the team the whole year. It's painfully obvious not much has changed with the Habs even if we changed half of the team.. It's consistently the makeup of this team: soft as butter, inside and out.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

good thing i didnt pay much attention to the game but it looked like a seasoned, winning team vs a "hey we wanna be like you guys" team of 5 year olds trying their hardest to beat the grownups.

the last play of the night were sergei didnt wanna take the hit pretty much explained the game for me.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
This is why i haven't been excited about the team the whole year. It's painfully obvious not much has changed with the Habs even if we changed half of the team.. It's consistently the makeup of this team: soft as butter, inside and out.
relax

i wouldnt go questioning their heart and character. They wanna be successful, but the make up of the team wont allow them to keep pace with the bigger teams.

they have some ingredients to allow them to get into the playoffs, but dont have the horses to cause any upsets. It has to be addressed.

Would you consider Philly a soft team? cause they sure as hell look like one right now. Boston is a quote on quote "tough" team, but they also will make the playoff by the skin of their teeth.

With all the injuries, i think the fact that the habs are where they are is a testament of how much character and heart they do have. On the ice i agree that some guys just arent delivering and playing like creampuffs.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The last game I was at vs NJ in the Bell it was the same deal.

I don't think the crowd gets pessimistic about losing to NJ as much as the expectation that they are going to see yet another "made in New Jersey" game that sucks all the energy out of you. Except for our goals it always seems hard to get excited about what either team is doing. The Devils have even managed to make Kovalchuk dull and he was the first star! LOL
lol, thats why we always give away the NJ tickets, jut not worth it. I can sleep better in my bed

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Looking forward to Brodeur's retirement

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Looking forward to Brodeur's retirement
The thing is though, New Jersey was just as good of a team with Scott Clemmenson.(Might have spelled that wrong)

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Habsfanatical

The way I look at is this.. OTT and NJ had streaks where they were crap on a stick, after those 5-6 games they turned it around and have been playing much better.. Pretty much where we are now, so that's what? 4 substandard games now? Meaning 1-2 more forgettable games before we start clicking on all cylinders (knock on wood).. Leaving us a handful of games before the playoffs to really recreate that chemistry and intencity.. Wishful thinking? I hope not..

Why did SK slow up going for that puck in the corner with under 30 seconds to go and our net empty? To me, that's NOT what we want or NEED going into the playoffs..

I see Cams and AK getting it going before the playoffs.. I see BOTH goalies standing on their heads the rest of the way..

Not only am I extremely sick and tired of the goalie debate.. Come on were HABS fans remember?? What happened to cheering for what's on the front of the sweater and not the back?? But I'm disappointed that the debate can't be left to the ACTUAL thread which is 4 parts too long as it is and not be brought into PGT.. Offend or Defend the goalie in net and not the goalie on the bench!! From what I saw there is plenty to crap on from the game without dragging the goalies into it.. I've said it before in every thread the goalies are debated.. Its goalies ARENT the problem!! The TEAM needs to preform at a higher more consistent level if were going to go anywhere IMO !!

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
The way I look at is this.. OTT and NJ had streaks where they were crap on a stick, after those 5-6 games they turned it around and have been playing much better.. Pretty much where we are now, so that's what? 4 substandard games now? Meaning 1-2 more forgettable games before we start clicking on all cylinders (knock on wood).. Leaving us a handful of games before the playoffs to really recreate that chemistry and intencity.. Wishful thinking? I hope not..

Why did SK slow up going for that puck in the corner with under 30 seconds to go and our net empty? To me, that's NOT what we want or NEED going into the playoffs..

I see Cams and AK getting it going before the playoffs.. I see BOTH goalies standing on their heads the rest of the way..

Not only am I extremely sick and tired of the goalie debate.. Come on were HABS fans remember?? What happened to cheering for what's on the front of the sweater and not the back?? But I'm disappointed that the debate can't be left to the ACTUAL thread which is 4 parts too long as it is and not be brought into PGT.. Offend or Defend the goalie in net and not the goalie on the bench!! From what I saw there is plenty to crap on from the game without dragging the goalies into it.. I've said it before in every thread the goalies are debated.. Its goalies ARENT the problem!! The TEAM needs to preform at a higher more consistent level if were going to go anywhere IMO !!
I noticed SK slowing up too. That really pissed me off.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post

Pretty much agree with everything, great post !

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
A truley terrible game, Montreal got out worked, outmuscled and downright outplayed. They barely looked in the same league as NJ. The best part is the total lack of emotion shown, they couldnt have given two ***** as usual. No urgency or anything, either the team is miserably slow or just can't be bothered to get pucks out of the corner.

First round knockout for this team of cream puffs with no heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I agree. Regardless of who is in net, I doubt we make it past the 1st round. Management needs to change the philosophy in drafting and development first and foremost. These old veterans aren't getting it done and they have to rely on 24 and 22- year old goalies to bail them out. How sad is that.
Alright you two... now take the time to remember this. We are 6-2-2 in last 10... we are in 6th. Now think what you would say in a win.

Points in a win:

-This team is full of heart! Warriors, never give up... much better than the soft euros that were our core last season.

your points in a loss:

They have no heart, they are softies, quit too easily... need I go on?

I'm singling you two out, cause your posts are what are wrong with some habs fans here.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:38 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Our pro scouting is some of the league's worst. We never look ready for some opponents and play right into their hands like it's some sort of simulation.
doesnt PG take care of that?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Atlanta plays Carolina before us and if they win that, Wednesday's even bigger. Friday at Philly is the biggie and knowing our play at home this year- dull and uninspired- and our record in important games, plus against Buffalo in general, we could be actually just 2 points up on 9th or squared. I wonder if Price starts the Philly game. It's a scary weekend ahead after the Carolina game for sure. Luckily we end with visits to the Isle and Carolina and a home game with the Leafs. I'd be content with 8th right now. The sickening thing is that we see just how uninspired this team is when everyone's healthy. Where's the heart? Oh yeah, we only show it when Cammy or Bergeron is out. So many passengers doing nothing at the big time this year.

AK's a scapegoat but he is one of many and some are worse offenders (Lapierre, Hamrlik) and some just need to step it up more (AK, his bro, Gill). Without Metro, we might actually try now? But look up at the teams 1-5 in the East and you'll note we've got a losing record against nearly all of 'em. At least it's cut and dry this season: We are not an Eastern elite and are nowhere close to it. So we should stop thinking and wishing for it and hope this team somehow has an extra gear for the playoffs that we've yet to see. Sadly that 6 game win streak might've been the peak. I still think we're playoff-bound but 6th might be stretching it considering the pivotal losses we've been piling up.

And no matter the goalie we put in, we will be outplayed by a superior team and be constantly outmuscled, outworked along the boards, pushed around and victimized in our own zone. And our coaching staff is doing nothing to curtail it. It's a finesse team playing defense-first and a soft team trying to play gritty. Sorry Martin, that ain't gonna cut it. Really, unlike in 2006 and 2004 when I saw some heart, I don't think we can get much more out of the 09-10 Habs. We'll have our lowest point total in seven years if we don't win 4 of our remaining 6, yet that still might be good enough for playoffs... this time around. How many years have the Habs backed in on the final week?

2004- Lost 3 of last 5, clinched playoff spot with an OT loss at Boston
2006- Lost final 2 games, clinched spot when Atlanta lost to underdog Washington 6-4.
2007- Lost final 2 games to blow 8th spot and miss the playoffs by 2 points
2008- No problemo this time
2009- Lost last 5 games, clinched spot with OT loss at Boston
2010- ???

Is it too much to ask to go into the playoffs on a winning tear?
So true. When the opposition starts playing playoff hockey a week or two before the season ends, we go into a tailspin. I cant fathom the fact that we still lack the physicality and top end talent to rectify this problem, which has been a problem for at least a decade to a decade and a half. It just seems that we have the same mediocre team year in and year out. Not good enough for the top-five but yet not bad enough to finish in the bottom five.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

It was another boring NJ game. no surprises

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
No but Houde mentioned it.
ok thanks! how do you say "faire la vague" in english?
last time I've been involved in one was the last game in 2008, vs Toronto, sick game...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You want hate? Here you go. No way in hell are we going to beat the Leafs in 2 weeks. First, we won't need it 'cause the spot will be secure. Then, there is no freakin way in hell are you guys going to have the first 3 picks. Do you hear me???? No way in hell and if it means losing against the Leafs, well we'll do it.....

I've never pulled more for the Leafs than what I'm doing right now. And it has NOTHING to with loving them....it's more the HATE I have for a certain team....

Happy?

Seriously.....I'm freakin pissed off about this upcoming draft. For that only moment, I want to be a Bruins fan. Then once it's done, I'll become a Habs fan again and will find every single weakness about the 25 kids you picked up in the first 2 rounds.....
HAHA! Thanks Whitesnake, you always manage to cheer me up and keep the rivalry alive. Here's to hoping we both finish 7th and 8th and meet again for the third year in a row!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
I agree with your main point about coaching but there's no way our talent level is even close to being similar to the Devils'. Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac, Elias, Langenbrunner, Martin, Brodeur are all players I would take before most of the guys on our team.
I'm sorry, but the raw talent level IS fairly close or at least, nowhere like the difference in the standings.

Parise is a great player, but he's no Sidney Crosby. Zajac, Elias, Langenbrunner... all in all, that group of forward is not miles ahead of Montreal's. Kovalchuk is great, but he's a one-dimensional player and he wasn't with the team at the beginning when they were winning more than they are now.

The Devils' defense does not have any dominant #1 guys. Martin is great, but he's not Markov. The Habs' blueline is probably better than New Jersey's really when considered man for man.

Brodeur is Brodeur. That is, a guy who's made himself a massive reputation based on endurance and longevity but who is, as an everyday puck-stopper, pretty much equivalent to any top #1 goalie out there. Frankly, this year Halak has probably been the superior puck-stopper. Anyway it's a moot issue because the Devils can swap him out for Scott Clemenssen and barely miss a beat.

And really, that is the point of the Devils. Better players make them better, but they can interchange almost at will with good results. They'll always be competitive, a very strong 5-on-5 club, and they'll always max the talent of their players because their coaching and system is so strong. They are calm, collected, adjust easily.

Montreal's system actually causes their players to underperform, they panic on the first goal-against, they are very weak 5-on-5. They are, put simply, a poorly coached club.

And the #1 reason why the Habs can't be the Devils is that: coaching.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
This team is just mediocre. Many consecutive losses to NJ, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Buffalo, etc.
I looked up the records just to confirm the suspicion, and wow, you're dead on. In the last two seasons, Montreal's records against those 4 teams & Washington & Philadelphia are:

NJ 1-5-2-0
Pitt 3-5-0-0
Phil 4-3-0-0 (only winning record)
Wash 3-3-0-2
Buff 3-5-0-3
Ott 5-6-1-0

Total 19-27-3-5

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote