HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign Stefan Schneider (D turned Centre)

Old
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
My thought is that the ECHL has a lot of guys who are are tweener professional hockey players; guys who are still trying to decide between hockey as a career or something else. Makes sense to stock up the Salmon Kings with some local guys(he's a BC boy) who might get a thrill out of playing pro hockey in front of a hometown crowd.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Lard_Lad

I wonder if Schneider was a by-product of heavy scouting on the Hawks for somebody else, or multiple somebodies?

Going to be a pretty big incoming group of pro rookies next year...Hodgson, Schroeder, Schneider, Rai, Volpatti, Connauton, Sauve, possibly Butcher, Fredheim, and/or Clark.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:24 AM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
I wonder if Schneider was a by-product of heavy scouting on the Hawks for somebody else, or multiple somebodies?

Going to be a pretty big incoming group of pro rookies next year...Hodgson, Schroeder, Schneider, Rai, Volpatti, Connauton, Sauve, possibly Butcher, Fredheim, and/or Clark.
This is how he has to do it. If he really believes in development, he's going to have to get young players in the organization and working with the staff.

Nice to see him add some size, the guy is obviously a role player at this level, I'm guessing they thing he can fill that same role at the ECHL/AHL level, and see where he goes from there.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Agent007

Schneider had an assist and was a +1 in last nights win over Everett. Portland now leads the series 3-2.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Anonymous User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Schneider had an assist and was a +1 in last nights win over Everett. Portland now leads the series 3-2.
Spokane, not Everett.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
Spokane, not Everett.
You're right. My mistake.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:24 AM
orcatown

Hope this is not indication we are having trouble attracting high end NCAA players.

At this point I think you have to somewhat disappointed in how we are doing in this area.

Walsky was dreadful, Oberg looks a real long shot and the feature players like Irwin and Baldwin have gone elsewhere - just like last year.

I very much worry with Smyl the point man on this enterprise.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Hope this is not indication we are having trouble attracting high end NCAA players.

At this point I think you have to somewhat disappointed in how we are doing in this area.

Walsky was dreadful, Oberg looks a real long shot and the feature players like Irwin and Baldwin have gone elsewhere - just like last year.

I very much worry with Smyl the point man on this enterprise.
I think it has to do with our depth. These college UFAs will want to try and establish themselves in the NHL as quickly as possible, with many of them already considered "old" for a prospect at age 24 or 25 who hasn't yet reached the NHL. So they will try and sign with a team that's relatively thinner at the position that they play in themselves. It might just be as simple as that. And of course sometimes there could be other factors too like how early on the NHL team showed interest in him, hometown team, money etc.

Having said that, though, I do hope that we can sign a few UFAs with some upside, since we don't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder this upcoming draft.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I think it has to do with our depth. These college UFAs will want to try and establish themselves in the NHL as quickly as possible, with many of them already considered "old" for a prospect at age 24 or 25 who hasn't yet reached the NHL. So they will try and sign with a team that's relatively thinner at the position that they play in themselves. It might just be as simple as that. And of course sometimes there could be other factors too like how early on the NHL team showed interest in him, hometown team, money etc.

Having said that, though, I do hope that we can sign a few UFAs with some upside, since we don't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder this upcoming draft.
If that's the case why are these top D-men signing with the Rangers? Why not with the Canucks?

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
IComeInPeace

Why does Oberg look like a real longshot?

His 1st yr as a pro, he has already gotten into a game with the 'Nucks, and has at times been the Moose's best d-man. He's young, can skate, thinks the game well...

I think the biggest thing holding him back in the future is his skinny frame, and that is something that he has 100% control over.

I think we'll see Oberg have a bigger impact with the Moose next yr. It will probably take him a couple more off seasons to fill out and get used to playing with the added weight, but at that point I think he will be an NHL caliber d-man.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
If that's the case why are these top D-men signing with the Rangers? Why not with the Canucks?
Gilroy was from New York. That and look at the deal he got - *ONE-WAY* two year $1.75 cap hit deal.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
Why does Oberg look like a real longshot?

His 1st yr as a pro, he has already gotten into a game with the 'Nucks, and has at times been the Moose's best d-man. He's young, can skate, thinks the game well...

I think the biggest thing holding him back in the future is his skinny frame, and that is something that he has 100% control over.

I think we'll see Oberg have a bigger impact with the Moose next yr. It will probably take him a couple more off seasons to fill out and get used to playing with the added weight, but at that point I think he will be an NHL caliber d-man.
Agreed...as an undrafted NCAA player, Oberg's season has been a pretty big success. He still leads the Moose blueline in scoring, and is having a very strong rookie pro season IMO. Yes, Walsky was unfortunately a wash but you take those chances; signing him and having him not work out is better than passing on someone and watching him pan out for another team.

I'm glad Gillis is helping add some depth to the Salmon Kings/Moose systems; it shows he's got a good functioning relationship with them and is wanting to help them succeed. This sort of thing doesn't go unnoticed, especially when Heisinger is helping to uncover the next Burrows/Rypien type player.

Schneider definitely seems like Salmon Kings/Moose fodder, but that's fine with me. By all accounts he's a smart player with a great attitude and some versatility, something either of those teams could use IMO.

Old
03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
StrictlyCommercial

A centre with good size and good speed... That sounds alright to me. Gillis likely recognizes that we are getting pretty small up front prospect-wise. Hence this guy and Volpatti. It's definitely better to sign your big players and draft the pure talent guys.

I approve.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
A centre with good size and good speed... That sounds alright to me. Gillis likely recognizes that we are getting pretty small up front prospect-wise. Hence this guy and Volpatti. It's definitely better to sign your big players and draft the pure talent guys.

I approve.
That's a good point. If signing guys like Volpatti, Schneider, and Desbiens lets us draft players like Rai and Anthony over Brown and Fuller then I am all for it.

Warren Piece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I agree it is not a bad strategy. Problem is top end, big physical forward talents do not grow on trees and it is unlikely he will acquire one in this manner.

This is one aspect we are lacking in on our team and I hope Gillis will pick his battles at the draft table carefully.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
That's a good point. If signing guys like Volpatti, Schneider, and Desbiens lets us draft players like Rai and Anthony over Brown and Fuller then I am all for it.
Again, largely agree, but keep in mind that this isn't like a truism.

For every Nathan Smith there is a Mike Richards available to make the big pick on. My worst nightmare in the "drafting for skill" mantra is that we draft a decent, small, offensive talent and we pass up a total package player because the long term rewards are allegedly higher at the time.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
A very good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. I would definitely like that strategy.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:56 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
A very good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. I would definitely like that strategy.
Its good for the 3rd round and on, with 1st/2nd rounders, you have to at some point get skill and size together. Its something that simply isn't available late in the draft. You might luck out and find a guy like Penner as a college UFA, but more than likely you need to at some point get big skilled players in the draft, because thats the only time they are available. I like the idea that with a 3-7th pick you are simply getting the guy with the most translateable NHL skills, but size has some value too.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:14 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Not sure why they would choose the Rangers, but as for the Canucks, it's probably 'cos they see the Canucks' blueline as being much too deep for them to earn a spot on immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Gilroy was from New York. That and look at the deal he got - *ONE-WAY* two year $1.75 cap hit deal.
Definitely - Gilroy's age meant he couldn't be signed to an ELC or something, I think. Essentially he was just like any other UFA and could go to the highest bidder, which he did.

Again, I don't see why college UFAs like Lee Baldwin would choose the Rangers though. It's not like their blueline is that weak or anything. Sure they do have 2 albatross contracts back there in Redden and Rozsival, but they can still play. It's just they're just massively overpaid. Then they also have Staal, Girardi and Del Zotto, 3 young defenders who should be with the Rangers for a long time. Gilroy could be with them for a while too.

In all, it's strange why Baldwin picked the Rangers over other teams who might be weaker on the backend. I mean, New York's blueline prospect depth is pretty good too, with guys like Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, Potter and McDonagh! Damn. Unless Rangers brass told him they were planning to unload one of Redden or Rozsival in the offseason and give him a spot for next year.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
pitseleh

From the college FA thread (on Baldwin):

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
Vancouver tried to sign him (he actually met with 7 nhl teams this week) but he thought there was a better chance with the Rangers because they were weaker on the back end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
I know the family he lived with when he was playing on the Burnaby express
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=college

Why he thought that, I have no idea.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:24 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Not sure why they would choose the Rangers, but as for the Canucks, it's probably 'cos they see the Canucks' blueline as being much too deep for them to earn a spot on immediately.

Definitely - Gilroy's age meant he couldn't be signed to an ELC or something, I think. Essentially he was just like any other UFA and could go to the highest bidder, which he did.

Again, I don't see why college UFAs like Lee Baldwin would choose the Rangers though. It's not like their blueline is that weak or anything. Sure they do have 2 albatross contracts back there in Redden and Rozsival, but they can still play. It's just they're just massively overpaid. Then they also have Staal, Girardi and Del Zotto, 3 young defenders who should be with the Rangers for a long time. Gilroy could be with them for a while too.

In all, it's strange why Baldwin picked the Rangers over other teams who might be weaker on the backend. I mean, New York's blueline prospect depth is pretty good too, with guys like Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, Potter and McDonagh! Damn. Unless Rangers brass told him they were planning to unload one of Redden or Rozsival in the offseason and give him a spot for next year.
maybe because the Rangers are a team that's in a bit of disarray right now. they have underachieved big time and if they miss the playoffs (which is looking very likely) then chances are that there's going to be changes there - more so than a team that is winning the division, like in Vancouver's case.

If you're a young player looking for a chance to play in the NHL, do you go with a team like Vancouver, who despite their holes on defense have shown over and over that they prefer to have veterans back there than bring up any youth and considering they're on their way to a 2nd division title, are much less likely to make major changes to their roster, or a team like the Rangers, who are heading out of the playoffs again, after already making major changes last season because of underachieving then as well, and have a history of bringing up young players even on defense?

and this doesn't even touch on the difference in the cities. Let's face it, NY has huge allure for anyone, especially young people, and is one of the top cities in the world. I'm sure a lot of players sign in NY just for the chance to play in NY.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
timw33

Nothing wrong with this signing. He's got a good frame and is a RH Centre. We need these kind of guys in the system.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
xtr3m

Big player that can be a defender or a forward? We have our Byfuglien now!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
He's not as fat

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
That's such a great point, even if it was extremely tongue in cheek.

If we had a player like that on the Canucks people would pick him apart really badly. I mean gosh darn it, sure he was drafted 8th overall but he showed so much promise, and what, he is slow and he is a 30 point scorer? That's soo soo awful!

He may never become anywhere near a Byfuglien and likely won't. That is just the point though. People criminally underrate the element that he a player like that would bring, especially in the playoffs. I bet he with his 30 points would be just as much of a going concern to the Canucks in a 7 game series as a Pat Kane or Marian Hossa.

So far it seems it is against management's philosophy to draft such players. Maybe they will just materialize from diamond in the rough signings