HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers call up Carter Hutton

Old
03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
nosnhoj

vCash: 500
Hoping for the best I suppose. Maybe we can break the record for most goalies used in a season?

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:56 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Not blaming Holmgren for 3 injured goalies. I'm blaming Holmgren for taking a big gamble with the most important position in the sport without hedging his bets with a quality second option.

Maybe you're not capable of being objective, but the original starter was a big risk for off ice issues. Not having a capable second option from the get go was a bad call. The injuries simply compounded the original mistake.
since hindsight is always 20/20, how did the off ice issues effect emery this year? they didnt. the team shut down themselves if you look at the losses he had. maybe because i have the center ice, not sure if youdo but i watched all the sharks games when jr and boosh was there and honestly, he was more then adequate as a backup. so going on the information that they had, they made the best decision. if emery was picked up by someone else and didnt get hurt and we were stuck with biron in net how many people here would have been screaming for homers head by stating.. " hell emery was in russia last year we shouldve have picked him off before others have!!!".... 20/20 is all im saying.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:01 AM
dookie88

The first page of this thread is enough evidence to say that JSaq is a gigantic idiot.
Posted via Mobile Device

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:46 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Unless he had an ATO with the Flyers, which is only good for one game.
I do not believe that this is correct. An ATO is not just for one game, nor is a PTO.

As for Hutton, may as well throw him in against the Devils.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:11 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
I wanna take bets as to what number he'll be assigned
100 vcash on 69.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:28 AM
billandsebastian

Quote:
I wanna take bets as to what number he'll be assigned
Put me in for 67.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I hope he doesn't get a lick of ice time. And that is only because I want the best for him. If he plays one of two things are going to happen: he is going to be terrible, or he is going to string together more than 30 minutes of adequate goal tending and be smited under the watchful eye of whatever hockey gods took out Emery, Leighton and Backlund.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I like this kid, but I only hope he gets a shot if the team decides to show up and play for him, I wouldn't want them to do one of their vanishing acts and leave him out to fend for himself

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
The first page of this thread is enough evidence to say that JSaq is a gigantic idiot.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was actually about to post that he was killing it.

I'm enjoying how a sizable portion of the posters were not on board with the Emery signing or the Boucher-Emery tandem and now when it's gone wrong as we predicted it probably would, we get the "hindsight is 20/20" comments and of course the classic "goaltending isn't important" argument as Boucher blows every game.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:42 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I just saw that Hutton is Canadian and from a town not to far from here

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
FlyHigh

Posts from the Emery signing thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...+emery+signing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Wow, I can barely contain my excitement.

If we sign Emery and let Biron go, it's a massive step backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma
Nothing against Emery, but is he really the starter this team needs? Kinda confused here.
Another comment from me getting annoyed.

Quote:
We're ****ed.

Even outside of the off-ice crap (all this team needs is another partier and undisciplined player), Emery had 1 good season on an absolutely dominant Ottawa team and was extremely mediocre during his other 2 years.

**** Holmgren.

**** this ****ing POS team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88
Another opportune time for the 'vomit smilie.'
Quote:
I've defended Holmgren for a long, long time on this board.

But the Jones contract has already screwed us big time, the Lupul contract is going to be a huge problem if we can't unload it, and these Biron cockup is going to set us back to our 06-07 team basically.

At some point, he needs to stop living on the stuff he's done right (Coburn, Kimmo, and our drafts) and stop screwing stuff up.

I'd have a fairly itchy trigger-finger right now if I were Snider.
Keep in mind, this is all before the season and the second Jones screwup.

Quote:
Maybe Emery will pan out, but right now it's a huge question mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492
I am not saying he won't work out, I am saying it is way too big of a risk when you have a great core. I hope Emery turned it around, he certainly seemed to have alot of talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
And sets us up to be screwed at the one position you absolutely cannot be screwed at if you want to compete for anything. Emery has talent, but he's also a headcase with a rotten history and plays a position that can carry a bad team, or submarine a good team.

Great combination.
Those are just quotes from the first 3 pages of the thread.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
This team is so screwed.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I was actually about to post that he was killing it.

I'm enjoying how a sizable portion of the posters were not on board with the Emery signing or the Boucher-Emery tandem and now when it's gone wrong as we predicted it probably would, we get the "hindsight is 20/20" comments and of course the classic "goaltending isn't important" argument as Boucher blows every game.
I just don't see how the Emery signing is a bad one.
He's played fantastic before he got injured. People will say "well we said he will be injured because he isn't used to the NHL workload".
The fact is, he is one of the more harder working guys what getting in shape etc concern.
Another fact is, that he's out for the season not because of an injury but because of a disease. Neither Holmgren nor Emery himself could've done anything to prevent it or to know it before signing. It's unfurtinate, but nobody is to blame for it.
Boucher contract is bad, especially if you take other goalie signings (Nitty) into consideration.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I just don't see how the Emery signing is a bad one.
He's played fantastic before he got injured. People will say "well we said he will be injured because he isn't used to the NHL workload".
The fact is, he is one of the more harder working guys what getting in shape etc concern.
Another fact is, that he's out for the season not because of an injury but because of a disease. Neither Holmgren nor Emery himself could've done anything to prevent it or to know it before signing. It's unfurtinate, but nobody is to blame for it.
Boucher contract is bad, especially if you take other goalie signings (Nitty) into consideration.
Posted via Mobile Device
It was a risky signing (as we said at the time, see my other post) and it burned us which can happen when you take risks.

Also, you can be in shape and I'm sure Emery was, but there's nothing you can do to train for the 60-65 game grind during an NHL season if you're a goalie. Some guys have the durability, some guys don't.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:04 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

This is not a thread about Emery. I liked Emery from the get-go, but his career is likely over. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of hockey. Take it somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I hope he doesn't get a lick of ice time. And that is only because I want the best for him. If he plays one of two things are going to happen: he is going to be terrible, or he is going to string together more than 30 minutes of adequate goal tending and be smited under the watchful eye of whatever hockey gods took out Emery, Leighton and Backlund.
Sadly, I agree. I'm happy to see him recognized, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
dookie88

Quote:
It was a risky signing (as we said at the time, see my other post) and it burned us which can happen when you take risks.

Also, you can be in shape and I'm sure Emery was, but there's nothing you can do to train for the 60-65 game grind during an NHL season if you're a goalie. Some guys have the durability, some guys don't.
So we sign Biron to $4.5mil a year and every risk is nullified?
Every signing and trade contains risks, but at $1.5mil a year the risk of signing Emery wasn't to high.

Believe me, I'm all for getting Price if it doesn't cost us JVR, but the Emery signing was a good one.
Biron or every other goaltender could've had the same genetic disease like Emery.
If it would've happened to them we would be even more screwed, because we would have the same goalies we now have but likely would've lost a roster player to afford that goalie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

To piggy-back, the Emery signing itself was not necessarily a bad one (still would have preferred Marty). However, to sign Emery and expect him to be 'the guy' without a viable back-up plan was stupid. I mean, our whole season was contingent on the Hurricanes WAIVING Michael Leighton. Let your head wrap around that for a second. That's absolutely absurd. Can you imagine if Leighton had played to his career numbers? We're extremely lucky that in the games he started our team played fairly well and he didn't **** the dog too many times. If he had been average statistically (win-wise), we're not talking about the playoffs.

That's horrible planning, injuries or no injuries. To me, this team is like the 05-06 one---one whose season relied on one or two incredible runs. The lack of consistency for the last 5 years has been unbelievably frustrating.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
God damn mutha ****in' straight. Start this kid against the Islanders! I like this kid.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is not a thread about Emery. I liked Emery from the get-go, but his career is likely over. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of hockey. Take it somewhere else.

Sadly, I agree. I'm happy to see him recognized, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.
You really have to be in complete control 10% of the time don't you? You tell people who disagree with you to take a hike, you tell people who mention Emery in a Goaltending thread to take a hike....relax.

At this point in the season to be going through the problems the Flyers have, if they make the playoffs, which is a big "IF", they would be lucky to win a game.

The fact remains, that while everybody is genuinely happy that the Flyers managed to find what appears to be a decent goaltending prospect to help out over the stretch run, there is obvious dislike towards Holmgren because he let it come to this.

To say that Emery wasnt a locker room risk "because he has done fine here" is childish. A risk is something that may/maynot happen. The flyers got lucky with that risk and Emery did well in the locker room, as well as on the ice.

Holmgren should have had some body of better caliber then Boucher behind him. If you cant agree with that then you should be fired from any hockey related job you have. Leighton has since come in and taken the spot from Boucher, Backlund was going to steal the spot from boucher, and now a college kid with zero NHL experience heading into the most important part of the season is going to take the job from Boucher.

For Holmgren to look at himself in the mirror on deadline day and think that barring no Injury Leighton and Boucher could take this team to the cup would have been a joke. Because he wasnt PROACTIVE instead of the typical reactive approach he takes, this team will likely miss the playoffs.

If thats okay with a Hockey's Future staffer then i suppose is must be the generalm train of thought for the rest of the hockey world, you know, seeing as your opinion is the only valid one and all.....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Give him the start against the Devils tonight. Boucher hasn't exactly been a picture of perfection and the Flyers haven't been scoring any goals. Throw him in there and shake things up. The way they have been playing lately it doesn't look like they have a great shot to win anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Is it so much to ask that this not turn into another "Holmgren should be fired" war.

Everyone knows my stance on it, and now I ignore those threads on purpose.

I'm happy for this kid, and I want to see if he gets a chance or not.

Asking you to stop the chatter had nothing to do with me being a staffer. It had everything to do with showing a little respect for people who don't agree with you. I made my piece. You don't agree. I dropped it. No reason to continue.

Now seriously, please. I'm asking as a favor. Stop.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
FlyHigh

Okay, we'll just stick to overhyping a goalie that 99% of the board has never actually seen in a live game.

Sounds good.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:37 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He's better than Duchesne and Teslak, but that isn't saying much

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Okay, we'll just stick to overhyping a goalie that 99% of the board has never actually seen in a live game.

Sounds good.
Will do. 8.0C

Old
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Sounds good.
Sigh. I know he is a rival of the college you went to, but atleast give him a chance.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote