HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers call up Carter Hutton

Old
03-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sigh. I know he is a rival of the college you went to, but atleast give him a chance.
I feel that statement's got a lot of objectivity to it. No one should be excited past the point of bittersweet over Hutton.

I also kinda feel his results in the AHL to this point are probably based largely on early adrenaline. Maybe he's one of those guys who just gets it and everything clicks at the higher levels...but I'm not going to put money on it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:14 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Sigh. I know he is a rival of the college you went to, but atleast give him a chance.
Or maybe I watched him for 4 years and he was pretty mediocre in 3 of them and only hit his stride this year when he was 24 years-old.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I feel that statement's got a lot of objectivity to it. No one should be excited past the point of bittersweet over Hutton.

I also kinda feel his results in the AHL to this point are probably based largely on early adrenaline. Maybe he's one of those guys who just gets it and everything clicks at the higher levels...but I'm not going to put money on it.
Meh could be true. He was the only one holding the Phantoms together down there. I doubt he plays today though. Saw 40 shots yesterday and it was his second game in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Or maybe I watched him for 4 years and he was pretty mediocre in 3 of them and only hit his stride this year when he was 24 years-old.
Goalies dont bloom late? I'm not saying hes the next big thing, but so far every post you have about him says he sucks. Well, so far with the Phantoms, he is everything but sucks.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
So what you're saying is that he just hit his stride and the best is yet to come?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
100 vcash on 69.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
Put me in for 67.
Duchesne had 67 when he was first recalled, but they changed it on him. I wonder if it will be 67 again.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
I was actually about to post that he was killing it.

I'm enjoying how a sizable portion of the posters were not on board with the Emery signing or the Boucher-Emery tandem and now when it's gone wrong as we predicted it probably would, we get the "hindsight is 20/20" comments and of course the classic "goaltending isn't important" argument as Boucher blows every game.
please dont lump in my comments about 20/20 with comments of those who didnt support the emery idea.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Seriously, he's a goalie that's played only 3 pro games. Why exactly should anyone be thrilled that a college kid with virtually no pro experience is getting called up while we are literally fighting for our playoff lives. What next, plucking a goalie from your local beer league?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 454
I guess goalies are really "a dime a dozen"

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I guess goalies are really "a dime a dozen"

Backlund performed well. Why not?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
since hindsight is always 20/20, how did the off ice issues effect emery this year? they didnt. the team shut down themselves if you look at the losses he had. maybe because i have the center ice, not sure if youdo but i watched all the sharks games when jr and boosh was there and honestly, he was more then adequate as a backup. so going on the information that they had, they made the best decision. if emery was picked up by someone else and didnt get hurt and we were stuck with biron in net how many people here would have been screaming for homers head by stating.. " hell emery was in russia last year we shouldve have picked him off before others have!!!".... 20/20 is all im saying.

I watched a lot of Boucher games, and he was adequate as a back for San Jose, a team that is dominant in the regular season.

My point was, Emery was a risk and Holmgren failed to hedge his bets. I don't even think goaltending is the main reason the Flyers are in the predicament they are in, but I'm kind of tired of goaltending being treated like it's the 7th defenseman.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Backlund performed well. Why not?
Backlund performed well.........for 40 minutes. The only reason people are excited about Hutton and I was excited about Backlund is because they're unknown quantities who may be good enough, where as we know that what we have now ain't cutting it.

As for why not? Because bad goal tending is a dime a dozen, good goal tending is not. Sure it would be nice if the Flyers were able to look under their carpet or between the cushions and find a play-off starter, but the odds are against it.

I'm with you though, no reason not to hope.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Backlund performed well.........for 40 minutes. The only reason people are excited about Hutton and I was excited about Backlund is because they're unknown quantities who may be good enough, where as we know that what we have now ain't cutting it.

As for why not? Because bad goal tending is a dime a dozen, good goal tending is not. Sure it would be nice if the Flyers were able to look under their carpet or between the cushions and find a play-off starter, but the odds are against it.
Agree for the most part. Just one correction.

Below average goaltending is like grass. Grows everywhere and free to take as long as it's not somebody's long.

Average goaltending is dime-a-dozen. Anyone can find a starter to work decently and win a Stanley Cup behind a great team. Well, as long as they don't get hurt.

Above average goaltending is nearly impossible to acquire. It takes luck usually. There are only a few of them in NHL. By few I mean, possibly 5. Meanwhile there are more goalies capable of starting a team to the finals behind an elite team than there are teams in the NHL.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

Below average goaltending is like grass. Grows everywhere and free to take as long as it's not somebody's long.

Average goaltending is dime-a-dozen. Anyone can find a starter to work decently and win a Stanley Cup behind a great team. Well, as long as they don't get hurt.

Above average goaltending is nearly impossible to acquire. It takes luck usually. There are only a few of them in NHL. By few I mean, possibly 5. Meanwhile there are more goalies capable of starting a team to the finals behind an elite team than there are teams in the NHL.
Elite teams are not any easier to create than elite goal tenders are to groom. And elite tending can carry mediocre teams the same way elite teams can drag mediocre goal tending along for the ride. We've done this goalie vs. team dance before, so for the sake of not jacking this thread, I'll leave it at that.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:45 PM
decadentia

Quote:

You post this same thing everywhere like it's your personal flag. Also, defining the best goalies in the league as "above average" (you specifically said 5) is obviously just blatant way of downplaying the importance of the position (as you usually do).

Ryan Miller 2.21, .929
Thomas Vokoun 2.45, .927
Tuuka Rask 2.11, .927
Evgeni Nabokov 2.39, .923
Jaroslav Halak 2.43, .923
Miikka Kiprusoff 2.27,.921
Ilya Bryzgalov 2.28, .921
Henrik Lundqvist 2.44, .919
Roberto Luongo 2.49, .915
Martin Brodeur 2.34, .914
Jimmy Howard 2.24, .926
Anti Niemi 2.22, .912

Go and ask the fans of these "above average" goalies if they give them a chance to win. Our whole teams needs a slap across the head for the lack of scoring, but it sure would help to have one of the above at times like this. Also, let's face it, we got extremely lucky with how well Leighton played. Great goalies can carry a satisfactory team as much as a great team can sometimes carry a "dime a dozen" goaltender.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
You post this same thing everywhere like it's your personal flag. Also, defining the best goalies in the league as "above average" (you specifically said 5) is obviously just blatant way of downplaying the importance of the position (as you usually do).

Ryan Miller 2.21, .929
Thomas Vokoun 2.45, .927
Tuuka Rask 2.11, .927
Evgeni Nabokov 2.39, .923
Jaroslav Halak 2.43, .923
Miikka Kiprusoff 2.27,.921
Ilya Bryzgalov 2.28, .921
Henrik Lundqvist 2.44, .919
Roberto Luongo 2.49, .915
Martin Brodeur 2.34, .914
Jimmy Howard 2.24, .926
Anti Niemi 2.22, .912

Go and ask the fans of these "above average" goalies if they give them a chance to win. Our whole teams needs a slap across the head for the lack of scoring, but it sure would help to have one of the above at times like this. Also, let's face it, we got extremely lucky with how well Leighton played. Great goalies can carry a satisfactory team as much as a great team can sometimes carry a "dime a dozen" goaltender.
As a Bruins fan, having to watch our terrible offense all year and ridiculous inconsistency. I can say one thing for sure....if not for Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask we would be down with Edmonton and Toronto, but instead we are fighting for a playoff spot.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post
As a Bruins fan, having to watch our terrible offense all year and ridiculous inconsistency. I can say one thing for sure....if not for Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask we would be down with Edmonton and Toronto, but instead we are fighting for a playoff spot.
That's just not possible. According to Chris teams create their goalies, not the other way around.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Seriously, he's a goalie that's played only 3 pro games. Why exactly should anyone be thrilled that a college kid with virtually no pro experience is getting called up while we are literally fighting for our playoff lives. What next, plucking a goalie from your local beer league?
Weigh the pros and cons.

With Boucher, we start a goaltender that's given up 27 goals in his last ten starts, and has a .878 save percentage. We have one win during those ten starts.

The best case scenario is he finds his rhythm at exactly the right time, and gets this team back in the hunt for a playoff spot. The worst case scenario is that he lets up a backbreaking goal early to a Devils squad coached by Jacques Lemaire.

With Hutton, we start a (24-year old) goaltender that's given up 11 goals in his last four starts, and has a .921 save percentage. He's outplayed every other starter in Glenn Falls, including Backlund who did alright in his first NHL game.

The best case scenario is that a rookie comes in, and plays out of his mind, giving the team the confidence they need. The worst case scenario is that he plays like Boucher has these past few games.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:10 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post
Thank you

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

Start Hutton

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Hutton wore 47 for the Phantoms. I'd bet that's what number he gets here.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I feel real comfortable with Carter Hutton starting. Good glove hand, excellent quickness, doesn't give up a lot of rebounds. Moves well side to side. As for him only playing 3 pro games, not worried about that either. It's not as if the guy is 18 or 19 years old. He's a 24 year old about to make his debut, so I think there's a level of maturity there. At this point, with the slide the team is in, there's really nothing left to lose by playing Hutton at this point. He'll either give us a Nittymaki-esque performance when Nitty was called up during the 2003-2004 season or he's going to bomb and he'll be nothing more than a second coming of Scott Munroe.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
The best case scenario is that a rookie comes in, and plays out of his mind, giving the team the confidence they need. The worst case scenario is that he plays like Boucher has these past few games.
Exactly how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Everyone who bought a Sbisa jersey is suddenly very excited for this guy.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:49 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Posts from the Emery signing thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...+emery+signing

Another comment from me getting annoyed.

Keep in mind, this is all before the season and the second Jones screwup.

Those are just quotes from the first 3 pages of the thread.
The problem with this whole post is that Emery didn't work because of anything people were actually concerned about in the offseason. Guy was a good teammate and worked hard. Guy performed very well in net when he was not injured. I don't think your argument holds any water unless you said "I don't want Ray Emery because he's about to have a career ending injury"

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The problem with this whole post is that Emery didn't work because of anything people were actually concerned about in the offseason. Guy was a good teammate and worked hard. Guy performed very well in net when he was not injured. I don't think your argument holds any water unless you said "I don't want Ray Emery because he's about to have a career ending injury"
Agreed. There was nothing wrong with Emery while he was here. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Having lived in Ottawa most of my life, the stuff that came out about Emery was 3/4s bull$h!t. The whole thing of him being a distraction and bad teammate was a figment of the Ottawa media imagination. The only faults Emery had in Ottawa was that he followed the team's suggestion with regards to rehabbing his wrist when he should have had it operated on and when he lost his starter's job due to his health, he didn't react the way he should. He also admitted to his mistakes and he was pretty damned good for us in the games he did play. I'm still interested to see if his career is over though. I haven't heard anything about Ray since he was diagnosed with avascular necrosis.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's wearing 40.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523053

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have recalled goaltender Carter Hutton on an emergency basis from their American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

Hutton will be available to play in Sunday night’s Flyers-Devils game at the Wachovia Center at 7:00 p.m. and wear uniform #40.

“I’m a little nervous and a little excited,” said Hutton. “It is all mixed together. It has been a bit of a whirlwind the past couple of days. I’m excited to be here and given the opportunity to put on the Flyers jersey and be a part of this organization.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote