HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

goalies next year

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2005, 01:39 PM
  #1
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
goalies next year

so suppose there is no hockey this year and we start up next year w/ no starter goalie (since i doubt we'll resign cechmanek). i wonder what we'er going to do. garon, obviously, is on the verge of taking that position but would we want to take that chance or sign a starting goalie for one year so we can ease him into it?

now if i remember correclty, weekes is not signed right? if this is so, what would a goalie tandem of garon and weekes be like? that'd be a helluva combo, dont u think?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
  #2
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...49&hubname=NYR

Kevin Weekes signed as a UFA by the New York Rangers August 26, 2004.
(although he could be a UFA all over again July 1, 2005 )

You could bring back Potvin (UFA) as a veteran backup for Garon.

Also another former King Byron Dafoe is a UFA.

Other UFA goalies include Chris Osgood, Steve Shields.

Sean Burke will be a UFA July 1, 2005.

Probably some others that will be UFA's this July.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 06:33 PM
  #3
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Isn't Shields a good guy in the room? I think that is one of the more important attributes of a backup keeper. If he is, I would like to see him here for a couple of years. Plus he has the coolest mask in the league.

Venom_17 is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
  #4
Old Hickory
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
They way it is looking. Garon could start, Hauser could back him up and the way Fukufuji is progressing he could(just maybe) be in Manchester next year.

 
Old
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
  #5
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
throwing garon into the hot seat next year is a bit soon don't u think? also, i dont think hauser has shown he can sit in as a backup goalie just yet. takign one risk in goal is a pretty big deal, putting two is insane... leaving out the whole fuku issue. at minimum, we need smooene who can play a solid 40 games signed to at least one year. since weekes u said was UFA this year, i would really like to hope to see him play with us.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
  #6
Old Hickory
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
throwing garon into the hot seat next year is a bit soon don't u think? also, i dont think hauser has shown he can sit in as a backup goalie just yet. takign one risk in goal is a pretty big deal, putting two is insane... leaving out the whole fuku issue. at minimum, we need smooene who can play a solid 40 games signed to at least one year. since weekes u said was UFA this year, i would really like to hope to see him play with us.
It's not like Garon is a 18 or 19 year old we just drafted. He was sitting behind Theodore for years. He's ready to go

If we have a season this year he could probably beat out Roman for the #1 job

 
Old
02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
  #7
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
throwing garon into the hot seat next year is a bit soon don't u think? .
No, he's been in the NHL for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
also, i dont think hauser has shown he can sit in as a backup goalie just yet. takign one risk in goal is a pretty big deal, putting two is insane... leaving out the whole fuku issue. at minimum, we need smooene who can play a solid 40 games signed to at least one year. since weekes u said was UFA this year, i would really like to hope to see him play with us.
Why not? Garon and Hauser could end up being really good, and even if they stunk it up, it would be good cause we'd be getting a top 5 pick.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 07:40 PM
  #8
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 847
vCash: 500
I dont think starting Garon in a year will be any more of a risk the starting Cechmanek.

Year Team League GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

Hauser:
2003-04 Manchester AHL 43 20 15 7 2536 82 1104 7 1.94 .926

Huet:
2002-03 Manchester AHL 30 16 8 5 1784 68 868 1 2.29 .922

I thought Huet made a great back-up, I don't see why Hauser won't be able to be one in a years time, but i also wouldn't mind signing someone like Potvin, Shields or Weekes if hes a UFA.

Brodie562 is online now  
Old
02-10-2005, 09:10 PM
  #9
McSorley 33
Registered User
 
McSorley 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, Ca
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Garon should start and cechmanek has to go. He is a HUGE let down. Back up to Garon is a concern though. YOU can't win games with a joe average goalie. Enough said. Also bring back Potvan. No more Jamie Storr's. Please......... the new guy MARTY!

McSorley 33 is offline  
Old
02-10-2005, 09:19 PM
  #10
august
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Garon will start next year. He will be a future STAR player.

august is online now  
Old
02-11-2005, 12:04 AM
  #11
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
It's not like Garon is a 18 or 19 year old we just drafted. He was sitting behind Theodore for years. He's ready to go

If we have a season this year he could probably beat out Roman for the #1 job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
No, he's been in the NHL for awhile now.
just wondering if you guys realize that garon's heaviest year was last year, where he took a hefty 19 out of 82 games in the season. and u guys want to throw him into the #1 chair in a completley new franchise?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562
I dont think starting Garon in a year will be any more of a risk the starting Cechmanek.

Year Team League GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

Hauser:
2003-04 Manchester AHL 43 20 15 7 2536 82 1104 7 1.94 .926

Huet:
2002-03 Manchester AHL 30 16 8 5 1784 68 868 1 2.29 .922

I thought Huet made a great back-up, I don't see why Hauser won't be able to be one in a years time, but i also wouldn't mind signing someone like Potvin, Shields or Weekes if hes a UFA.
huet did make a great backup. i was one of his biggest fans, but it's funny how you left out one small, yet very significant statistic.
Quote:
2002-03 Los Angeles NHL 12 4 4 1 541 21 241 1 2.33 .913
notice how Huet's first year had 12 games.





so let me get this striaght, you want a 19 game backup goaltender and a 43 AHL playing, 0 NHL game, goalie to take the helm over 82 games (current #)?



nice... i think DT has a few lessons to learn from you guys.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline  
Old
02-11-2005, 12:20 AM
  #12
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Run with Garon, screw Cechmanek. If Mathieu falters, there are always a couple vets floating around in Jan-Feb-Mar. Guys like Shields, Potvin, Dafoe, Passmore, Salo, Irbe, and Snow could be had for a mid round pick. Not that these guys are major upgrades over Cech, but I think they are cheaper.

So run with Hauser, if he wrecks the bedsheets, DT can make a move.

Venom_17 is offline  
Old
02-11-2005, 12:27 AM
  #13
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Run with Garon, screw Cechmanek. If Mathieu falters, there are always a couple vets floating around in Jan-Feb-Mar. Guys like Shields, Potvin, Dafoe, Passmore, Salo, Irbe, and Snow could be had for a mid round pick. Not that these guys are major upgrades over Cech, but I think they are cheaper.

So run with Hauser, if he wrecks the bedsheets, DT can make a move.
Exactly. Look at what we got Hnilicka for, I think it was everyone's favorite future considerations that haven't even come to fruition yet, I dont think. Someone can always be had.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
02-11-2005, 12:38 AM
  #14
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,523
vCash: 50
Chechmanek stinks. take it from me, i saw him enough in Philly. He cannot handle any kind of pressure at all, fine his GAA is fairly low, BUT when he does give up the goals they are at key points of a hockey game or a very soft goal.
Sean Burke is going to be let go by the Flyers either way, So he will definitly be available.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
02-11-2005, 01:55 AM
  #15
Chartrand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
just wondering if you guys realize that garon's heaviest year was last year, where he took a hefty 19 out of 82 games in the season. and u guys want to throw him into the #1 chair in a completley new franchise?
He's getting plenty of starting time in the AHL, which has a more grueling schedule than the NHL. I wouldn't worry about making him a workhorse.

Chartrand is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.