HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Wendel Clark

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2005, 03:54 PM
jcoldwell

vCash: 500
Wendel Clark

I am having a debate with one of my friends on the trading of Clark. The debate is who the Leafs got along with Clark when they traded with the NY Islanders to reacquire him. And who did the Leafs give up to get him back in Leafs silks.

Thanks for the responses.

Old
02-10-2005, 03:59 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
We got back Wendel Clark en Mathieu Schneider in exchange for Kenny Jonsson and the Leafs 1997 first round pick, 4th overall, which turned into Roberto Luongo.

Old
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
We got back Wendel Clark en Mathieu Schneider in exchange for Kenny Jonsson and the Leafs 1997 first round pick, 4th overall, which turned into Roberto Luongo.
Leafs also recieved D.J. Smith and gave up Sean Haggerty.

Old
02-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Can I start crying yet?

Old
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Leaf Army

I forgot. They gave up Darby Hendrickson too, but re-acquired him a couple years later.

Full trade was:

To Toronto:
Wendel Clark
Mathieu Schneider
D.J. Smith

To NY Islanders:
Kenny Jonsson
Sean Haggerty
Darby Hendrickson
1st round pick

Old
02-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Can I start crying yet?
Bah. Leafs probably would've taken Jason Ward with the pick anyway.

Old
02-10-2005, 07:05 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Who?

Old
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Pipe down and let me weep.

Old
02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Stephen

To put a positive spin on that disaster of a trade, I suppose you could say that we paid

Jonsson, Luongo, Haggerty and Hendrickson for Schneider, Smith and Sundin, whom we acquired for Clark in the first place.

But anyway, that is probably the worst Leaf trade in my books, maybe slightly better than the Kurvers for the pick for Niedermayer.

Old
02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Jonsson, Luongo, Haggerty and Hendrickson for Schneider, Smith and Sundin, whom we acquired for Clark in the first place.
Nice try but this is 1997 Clark not 1993 Clark. There was a big difference between the two.

Old
02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Pipe down and let me weep.
suck it guys, suck it up.....

Old
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Leaf Army

Honestly, I know I might take some flack for this, but that Clark trade doesn't bother too much. In fact, the piddling away of guys like Modin, Sullivan, Smith and Markov bothers me much more.

I mean it's easy to look back and criticize in hindsight. But when Clark was re-acquired, a lot of people were thinking that gave the Leafs a huge boost for a Stanley Cup that year. The trade was made with the Stanley Cup in mind and you never know how that's going to turn out until after the fact.

I still remember the first game of the playoffs that year, the puck was dropped and about 8 seconds into the game Clark nailed Brett Hull at center ice and the crowd just exploded. Everybody just had renewed hope because Clarkie was back.

Jonsson turned into a decent player, but not the player a lot of people felt he was going to be. Haggerty was a great prospect at the time, but he never panned out either.

The first round pick looks worse because it turned out to be Luongo, but we don't even know who the Leafs would have picked. In actuality they just traded a first rounder.

Heck, only two years ago, Detroit traded two prospects, a first rounder and a second rounder for Schneider alone. And Schneider was considered a throw-in in the Clark deal. And now Schneider has turned into Bryan McCabe for the Leafs and that ain't bad either.

I guess this all boils down to that I don't mind the Clark deal as much because at least there was a point behind it and there was no way the Leafs knew they were giving up a Luongo type player. Watching guys like Modin, Sullivan, Smith and Markov leave was much harder for me because I knew they were terrible moves at the time, and there was no solid logic or point behind those moves.

Old
02-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Nice try but this is 1997 Clark not 1993 Clark. There was a big difference between the two.
It was a horrible trade, what do you want from me.

Old
02-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Honestly, I know I might take some flack for this, but that Clark trade doesn't bother too much. In fact, the piddling away of guys like Modin, Sullivan, Smith and Markov bothers me much more.

I mean it's easy to look back and criticize in hindsight. But when Clark was re-acquired, a lot of people were thinking that gave the Leafs a huge boost for a Stanley Cup that year. The trade was made with the Stanley Cup in mind and you never know how that's going to turn out until after the fact.

I still remember the first game of the playoffs that year, the puck was dropped and about 8 seconds into the game Clark nailed Brett Hull at center ice and the crowd just exploded. Everybody just had renewed hope because Clarkie was back.

Jonsson turned into a decent player, but not the player a lot of people felt he was going to be. Haggerty was a great prospect at the time, but he never panned out either.

The first round pick looks worse because it turned out to be Luongo, but we don't even know who the Leafs would have picked. In actuality they just traded a first rounder.

Heck, only two years ago, Detroit traded two prospects, a first rounder and a second rounder for Schneider alone. And Schneider was considered a throw-in in the Clark deal. And now Schneider has turned into Bryan McCabe for the Leafs and that ain't bad either.

I guess this all boils down to that I don't mind the Clark deal as much because at least there was a point behind it and there was no way the Leafs knew they were giving up a Luongo type player. Watching guys like Modin, Sullivan, Smith and Markov leave was much harder for me because I knew they were terrible moves at the time, and there was no solid logic or point behind those moves.
I knew the trade was a bad one when it happened. It looked terrible a year later in 1997 when the Leafs were in last place and the Islanders were in second last and it looked like the Leafs had blown their shot at Joe Thornton. I agree that the Leafs ended up getting some good mileage out of the trade and some of the players didn't pan out as well for the Islanders, but the Clark trade was made to save Fletcher's ass more so than to win the cup.

The Leafs were a pretty ordinary team in 1996, everybody was struggling, none of Fletcher's trades were working out. I mean, they fired Pat Burns that year, right? The Clark trade was made to appease Stavros and to keep Fletcher's job. If the Leafs were serious about winning the cup in 1996, they wouldn't have traded Dave Andreychuk immediately to New Jersey after the Clark deal for nothing but a draft pick.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:38 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen

The Leafs were a pretty ordinary team in 1996, everybody was struggling, none of Fletcher's trades were working out. I mean, they fired Pat Burns that year, right?
Burns actually told them they might as well fire him because the players had tuned him out,and the leafs obliged.More of a quit with a sweet severance package really.

Old
02-11-2005, 01:03 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:

It couldn't have been said any better than this folks!
This is exactly how it went down.

At a time now when we are a contender, watching guys like the aforementioned guys hurts a lot more now cause we are now actually a 'contender'.

Closed Thread