HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Game in 15,540 seconds

Old
03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
In my experience getting dozen of grade A scoring chances implies you are playing pretty well and not needing "a swift kick in the bottom". He's didn't finish, and neither did any of the other forwards. I'm all for getting upset with Staal when he puts forth little effort, but the effort was there tonight.
Except if you're getting paid like Staal is and have the expectations that Staal does and have shown the ability to finish those chances consistently (like Staal has), not finishing the many chances he had is inexcusable.

Especially the one in OT. Green overcommits, Whitney gives Staal the chance to go in all alone, and Staal tries for a 5-hole that was never there. The replay showed it clearly.

And like I said, if it were just Staal in his own little whirlpool of suck, I'd be ok with it. But when we're passing up prime scoring chances in an attempt to get the puck to him, it's not going to work.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
caniac247

Maybe Ray should be coach

Quote:
"Ronnie and I were arguing about it behind the bench, so Ray Whitney said, 'Give Rosey a chance,' " Maurice said, smiling. "I said, 'Are you sure?' and he said, 'Yep,' so we put Rosey out there."

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Except if you're getting paid like Staal is and have the expectations that Staal does and have shown the ability to finish those chances consistently (like Staal has), not finishing the many chances he had is inexcusable.

Especially the one in OT. Green overcommits, Whitney gives Staal the chance to go in all alone, and Staal tries for a 5-hole that was never there. The replay showed it clearly.

And like I said, if it were just Staal in his own little whirlpool of suck, I'd be ok with it. But when we're passing up prime scoring chances in an attempt to get the puck to him, it's not going to work.
Actually, he is one of the streakier players in the league. He goes on a tear (like the one we saw when he got named captain) and then he cools off (as has been the case recently)

Some nights the puck just isn't going to find the back of the net for you, no matter how many chances you have. That's not inexcuseable, that's hockey. Against Buffalo he was floating all game and still wound up with a goal on the PP late. Did he have a better game because the puck went in for him?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

There have been times to take Staal to task, but last night I can't fault him on effort. he's getting frustrated again, which is always a bad sign because it seems to build on him. But he was motoring on that late chance from Ray, so lack of effort wasn't a problem from my seat.

Agree about Legace on his interviews (Holmstrom offering tips on his glove - outstanding), but not ready to jettison Peters yet. heck, until we are sure about Cam's health, maybe we find a way to keep all three for a while next year.

As to the beverage of choice, I'll join in on the Kahlua...white russian, dude? And I don't mean OV or Semin.

Didn't like the way that came out.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

It is Friday afternoon, so laissez le bon temps rouler.

Last edited by Citizen Cane: 03-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Actually, he is one of the streakier players in the league. He goes on a tear (like the one we saw when he got named captain) and then he cools off (as has been the case recently)
It's not like he's some rookie that's playing off nervousness nor is he a grinder/energy guy that's not expected to score anyway. He's scored over 200 goals in the short time he's been in this league. He needs to finish one of them.

So yes, it's inexcusable. Effort is great, but if you're expected to be a scoring threat out there, you need to show the ability to finish those chances, especially when it's a tie game.

It's no different from tearing into Cole for not converting on his chances when he played in the top 6. If you want top 6 minutes, if you want PP time, if you're expected to score, when you're given that many chances, you need to convert.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If you are emotionally disturbed by an upset win over the probable President's Trophy winner, who is also the top team in your division and one of your fiercest rivals, in the shootout, on your home ice, in late March... maybe it's time to see a therapist?
I agree with this 100%. Man, I was dancing on the ceiling when Green missed.

Quote:
So yes, it's inexcusable. Effort is great, but if you're expected to be a scoring threat out there, you need to show the ability to finish those chances, especially when it's a tie game.
I still think something's nagging him. Some minor injury.

Quote:
It's no different from tearing into Cole for not converting on his chances when he played in the top 6.
Uhhh...Erik was in the top 6 last night. He was on the second line. What do you mean?

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post

It is Friday afternoon, so laissez le bon temps rouler.
Posted 2 hours and 18 minutes too early

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
I still think something's nagging him. Some minor injury.
Then he needs to sit. We're not playing for anything and there's no reason to risk he aggravates whatever injury he may have.

Quote:
Uhhh...Erik was in the top 6 last night. He was on the second line. What do you mean?
The point being that he was being torn into for being in the Top 6, getting PP time and not producing just a little while ago. When Staal gets the same benefits and doesn't produce, it's because he's "streaky".

Staal's streaky, but if it applies to Cole, there's no reason why it shouldn't apply to a better player in Staal.

Old
03-26-2010, 05:23 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Posted 2 hours and 18 minutes too early
I approve of this message.

That was before all this new **** came to light, you know, there's a lot of ins, a lot of outs.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Then he needs to sit. We're not playing for anything and there's no reason to risk he aggravates whatever injury he may have.
Yeah I think I agree. If he's just slumping, fine. But if there is something wrong maybe he should sit out.

Quote:
The point being that he was being torn into for being in the Top 6, getting PP time and not producing just a little while ago. When Staal gets the same benefits and doesn't produce, it's because he's "streaky".

Staal's streaky, but if it applies to Cole, there's no reason why it shouldn't apply to a better player in Staal.
Oh yeah I see what you were saying now. No arguments here.

Just watching Staal....it doesn't look to me like a player in a slump, it looks like something's a bit off.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:36 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochNorris View Post

That was before all this new **** came to light, you know, there's a lot of ins, a lot of outs.
all i know is this aggression will not stand.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
you're out of your element Donny.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM
bleedgreen

this mcbain really brings the room together.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochNorris View Post

But the Dude will abide. That's a comforting thought, ain't it.

How about some more of that good sasparilla?

Old
03-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
It's not like he's some rookie that's playing off nervousness nor is he a grinder/energy guy that's not expected to score anyway. He's scored over 200 goals in the short time he's been in this league. He needs to finish one of them.

It's no different from tearing into Cole for not converting on his chances when he played in the top 6. If you want top 6 minutes, if you want PP time, if you're expected to score, when you're given that many chances, you need to convert.
How is tearing into a guy who didn't produce in 1 game on a number of chances similar to tearing into a guy who has produced at a slightly higher rate than Miro Satan this season?

You have a team that is not very good, will miss the playoffs in a dreadful Eastern Conference, you have one offensive player who is clearly your best, is your captain, has played hurt half the year, and you ***** about him after a game that you win over the best team in the league? NEWSFLASH, there are games when Eric Staal doesn't score. There are games when Ovechkin doesn't score (like Thursday), and Staal isn't close to the goal scorer Ovechkin is, so maybe you should temper your expectations just a little bit.

Old
03-27-2010, 08:40 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
NEWSFLASH, there are games when Eric Staal doesn't score. There are games when Ovechkin doesn't score (like Thursday), and Staal isn't close to the goal scorer Ovechkin is, so maybe you should temper your expectations just a little bit.
I agree with what you are saying.

That being said, Ovie's top point total is 122. Staal's is 100. Not exactly night and day. They are both elite players.

Old
03-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying.

That being said, Ovie's top point total is 122. Staal's is 100. Not exactly night and day. They are both elite players.
GP G A PTS
324 219 201 420 - Night
328 153 174 327 - Day

Not including this year.

EDIT: The formatting looks like garbage, I apologize

Old
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
How is tearing into a guy who didn't produce in 1 game on a number of chances similar to tearing into a guy who has produced at a slightly higher rate than Miro Satan this season?

You have a team that is not very good, will miss the playoffs in a dreadful Eastern Conference, you have one offensive player who is clearly your best, is your captain, has played hurt half the year, and you ***** about him after a game that you win over the best team in the league? NEWSFLASH, there are games when Eric Staal doesn't score. There are games when Ovechkin doesn't score (like Thursday), and Staal isn't close to the goal scorer Ovechkin is, so maybe you should temper your expectations just a little bit.
It's real simple. Staal has been floating for quite a while now and this game was just an accumulation of his poor play. It's bad enough that he's shown a complete lack of caring since the Olympic break (either due to injury or just him being himself), but when he can't finish chances in addition to that, then he's of no use out there.

I'm not expecting Staal to score every game. I am expecting him to score when he's given as many chances as he had in this game. Star players do that, captains do that, Staal didn't do that.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
geehaad

Quote:
It's real simple. Staal has been floating for quite a while now
For me, it's this simple. Depending on your definition, Staal could be considered an elite-level hockey player, and when you see the difference in his play between when he coasts and when he busts his ass, it makes the coasting that much more difficult to accept. Frankly, it's a little mind-boggling why he hasn't caught on yet...if respected people around him aren't getting into his ear, you'd think seeing the success of players like Chad LaRose would clue him into the value of consistent hard work.

Considering this particular game, I'd want to watch it again before saying he was/wasn't trying hard, but even if it was borderline, it's easy to understand why fans would go ahead and sling some rotten tomatoes at him. He plays great when he thinks he's got something to prove, it's just unfortunate that too often he doesn't appear to want to prove himself.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
AD Skinner

Like many of us have decided as well, Staal has to have seen that Carolina's season is pretty much over. Yeah, it's frustrating that one of the highest-paid players in the NHL has decided to take his foot off the gas, but he sees the standings. I'm sure he gets NHL Network, you know? For Staal especially, whose current linemates are Chad freakin LaRose and Zach freakin Boychuk, an infusion of new talent to the Canes would be more of a boon than sneaking into the playoffs only to get knocked out early and start again next year with nothing to show for a bad-luck season. It sucks, but it's hard to blame him. If I was in the same situation I don't know that I'd act differently.

EDIT: Nothing against Boychuk or LaRose. Upon review it seemed like this was unnecessarily harsh towards them. But as of this moment in time neither one is top-line NHL talent, and after spending a tournament on Sidney Crosby's line, I can understand how one might get frustrated.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote