HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Hal Gill stop fighting!

Old
03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Hal Gill stop fighting!

Okay look, I was watching the Devils/Habs game last night. All of the sudden the gloves drop. Gill is fighting David Clarkson of the Devils. I said to my wife right away "oh great, this will be ugly for Gill".

Suffice to say he looked ridiculous. Gill barely threw a punch. Bob Cole was mentioning during the fight how long of a reach Gill has, but yet we never saw it. Clarkson got a few good shots in and both of them ended the fight standing up with the refs separating it. No one was hurt but Gill was non existant in the fight. Clarkson clearly won it. Remember that time about 10 years ago when Chara and Gill fought? The announcer was primed for a fight between to big guys and there was an awkward pause after Gill was thrown to the ground 5 seconds later.

Here is the question, when is this guy going to realize he cannot fight? Here's the stats:

Gill - 6'7" 250lbs.
Clarkson - 6'1" 195 lbs.

How many times have we seen Gill lose a fight to someone half his size? I love Clarkson, he was a gem when he played in Kitchener and we know he is a good fighter but Gill has got to stop embarassing himself, a guy his size should almost never lose a fight.

The reaction of the Habs fans after tells the truth, quite a disapointment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGw1DpaSyw

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Stephen

To be fair to Gill, the Habs are a fey bunch, so it's going to be up to the 6'7" giant to do the dirty work.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Big Phil

By the way here's the Gill v. Chara fight from several years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrX-...eature=related

Even the announcer mentions that Gill is a giant but "not a good fighter". Funny how he says at the end "Chara tunes him in"

Okay fine maybe I'm picking on poor Hal a little bit...........

Old
03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He's fought two times this year, this thread is fail.

Saying a guy his size should never lose a fight is like saying Tim Sylvia should never lose a fight in MMA, just because he's big doesn't mean he's a good fighter.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Gill is a pathetic fighter for a guy his size, and a phony tough guy.

That said, I'm not a fan of Clarkson as a fighter either. I like guys who fight more wide open styles.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
MatthewT

Considering Gill had a huge advantage fighting Clarkson, he was acting awfully defensive

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
gsharpe

Rypien should fight Clarkson. That would be a good fight.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Okay look, I was watching the Devils/Habs game last night. All of the sudden the gloves drop. Gill is fighting David Clarkson of the Devils. I said to my wife right away "oh great, this will be ugly for Gill".

Suffice to say he looked ridiculous. Gill barely threw a punch. Bob Cole was mentioning during the fight how long of a reach Gill has, but yet we never saw it. Clarkson got a few good shots in and both of them ended the fight standing up with the refs separating it. No one was hurt but Gill was non existant in the fight. Clarkson clearly won it. Remember that time about 10 years ago when Chara and Gill fought? The announcer was primed for a fight between to big guys and there was an awkward pause after Gill was thrown to the ground 5 seconds later.

Here is the question, when is this guy going to realize he cannot fight? Here's the stats:

Gill - 6'7" 250lbs.
Clarkson - 6'1" 195 lbs.

How many times have we seen Gill lose a fight to someone half his size? I love Clarkson, he was a gem when he played in Kitchener and we know he is a good fighter but Gill has got to stop embarassing himself, a guy his size should almost never lose a fight.

The reaction of the Habs fans after tells the truth, quite a disapointment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGw1DpaSyw
I wouldn't call what Gill does 'fighting'.

More like aggressive hugging.

Hmmmm, switch that. More like just hugging.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:55 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Considering Gill had a huge advantage fighting Clarkson,
This is completely uneducated. Just because your tall doesn't mean you have a HUGE advantage in a fight.

Would you say that 6'1 Sophia Young of the WNBA has a huge advantage in a fight against Brian Gionta because she is 5 inches taller than him?

Just because Gill is tall doesn't mean he is tough or has any fighting abilities. Strength and fighting abilities are what give you advantages in fights.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:58 PM
HenriquesJawLine

I remember Clarkson beat the **** out of Gill when he was on the Penguins

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJParise09 View Post
I remember Clarkson beat the **** out of Gill when he was on the Penguins

Surprised Hal Gill isn't still in the hospital after getting beat up so bad in that fight.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post

Surprised Hal Gill isn't still in the hospital after getting beat up so bad in that fight.
ok nvm

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is completely uneducated. Just because your tall doesn't mean you have a HUGE advantage in a fight.

Would you say that 6'1 Sophia Young of the WNBA has a huge advantage in a fight against Brian Gionta because she is 5 inches taller than him?

Just because Gill is tall doesn't mean he is tough or has any fighting abilities. Strength and fighting abilities are what give you advantages in fights.
We're talking about two MEN fighting though. Your point doesn't make a lot of sense. And yes if I fight a guy 6-7 inches shorter than me I would think I have the advantage, of course it doesn't mean I will win, but the advantage is clear

Old
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Ulic

Quote:
Saying a guy his size should never lose a fight is like saying Tim Sylvia should never lose a fight in MMA, just because he's big doesn't mean he's a good fighter.
It isn't about technique, and the comparison of hockey players to professional fighters is absurd.

The point is that a man that large should be able to man-handle someone so much smaller.

Like this. Hinote is about the same size as Clarkson.
It has nothing to do with fighting ability. On the ice, a guy as big as Gill should be able to throw guys around. When the size is more even, like in the Chara fight, it should be more of a square fight. Gill can't handle himself in either situation.
Edit: Well, Chara is a freak, but still...

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:

That is a horrible, horrible comparison. A man fighting a woman is completely different from two grown men fighting.

Quote:
He's fought two times this year, this thread is fail.

Again, horrible comparison. MMA fighters are separated into weight classes to neutralize size advantages, not to mention these people go through rigorous training and it involves fighting on the floor as well, where body-locks can be used against people who are bigger.

Fighting on ice is different, a guy with Hal Gill's size should at least have won a fight or two in his career; I'm not even sure Gill has won a fight before, I think he's had a couple of draws with the rest of his fights being losses. With that size and reach he should be able to do something at least.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
MatthewT

Quote:

Considering Clarkson couldn't even reach Gills head, then yes Gill had a huge advantage. Some fans will back their players no matter what

Old
03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
We're talking about two MEN fighting though. Your point doesn't make a lot of sense. And yes if I fight a guy 6-7 inches shorter than me I would think I have the advantage, of course it doesn't mean I will win, but the advantage is clear
Ok, I will use two men this time.

Are you saying that Antawn Jamison who is 6'9 in the NBA would have an advantage over George St Pierre who is 5'10?

My point is, your assuming that because someone is tall, they can fight. Its untrue. My point that strength and fighting abilities are far more important than height when it comes to fighting.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Djeez
Fower Porward

It's just not in his nature. He's probably too much of a nice guy to enjoy it, too. I think he only fights because he feel obligated, because people ***** he's too soft for his size.

Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Rysto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic View Post
Like this. Hinote is about the same size as Clarkson.
Yikes. Those linesmen had no idea how to break up a fight, did they?

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
number 11

what's the problem? he threw a few good punches, his arm was tied up the entire time. gill isn't a fighter and clarkson is, i'd say he did fine.

just because the guy is tall doesn't mean he has to be a heavyweight.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Thorn

that wasn't even a fight, glorified hugging is what it was.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
MatthewT

Quote:

Are you saying that Antawn Jamison who is 6'9 in the NBA would have an advantage over George St Pierre who is 5'10?

My point is, your assuming that because someone is tall, they can fight. Its untrue. My point that strength and fighting abilities are far more important than height when it comes to fighting.
Your getting closer. Try comparing two male hockey players, both who should be in reasonable shape. Then 9 times out of 10 the bigger guy will have an advantage.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Considering Clarkson couldn't even reach Gills head, then yes Gill had a huge advantage. Some fans will back their players no matter what
Quote:
Your getting closer. Try comparing two male hockey players, both who should be in reasonable shape. Then 9 times out of 10 the bigger guy will have an advantage.
Thank you.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
QcnARF

Quote:

A bad comparison is hardly a good argument. If you see two guys about to fight (you don't know either of them or what they do for a living), but one of the two has a significant reach/height advantage, wouldn't you bet on the bigger one? Sure it's not a lock, but still 6-7" is a pretty big advantage.

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
HemskyToHall*

lol @ Habs fan defending Gill.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote