HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Hal Gill stop fighting!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
  #26
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcnARF View Post
A bad comparison is hardly a good argument. If you see two guys about to fight (you don't know either of them or what they do for a living), but one of the two has a significant reach/height advantage, wouldn't you bet on the bigger one? Sure it's not a lock, but still 6-7" is a pretty big advantage.
But in this case, we know both players and we know ONE PLAYER HAS A HUGE SKILL ADVANTAGE. That is what you guys are ignoring. Gill isn't a fighter.

You put Gill against Clarkson and he's going to lose 8 out of 10 times because he lacks the skill to fight.

You put Gill up against PJ Stock and PJ stock is going to win most times, once again because of skill. That is what you guys are underestimating.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
  #27
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Ok, I will use two men this time.

Are you saying that Antawn Jamison who is 6'9 in the NBA would have an advantage over George St Pierre who is 5'10?

My point is, your assuming that because someone is tall, they can fight. Its untrue. My point that strength and fighting abilities are far more important than height when it comes to fighting.
Put guys in the same league such as basketball players:

Try Earl Boykins vs. Yao Ming, who has the advantage?

(5 ft 5 in) vs. (7 ft 6 in)

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
  #28
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But in this case, we know both players and we know ONE PLAYER HAS A HUGE SKILL ADVANTAGE. That is what you guys are ignoring. Gill isn't a fighter.

You put Gill against Clarkson and he's going to lose 8 out of 10 times because he lacks the skill to fight.

You put Gill up against PJ Stock and PJ stock is going to win most times, once again because of skill. That is what you guys are underestimating.
If Gill knows he cant fight anyone, why does he continue?

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:41 PM
  #29
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Who is the best fighter on the Habs?

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
  #30
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
If Gill knows he cant fight anyone, why does he continue?
He fought to ****ing times this year. It's not like he fights every game.

Gill isn't there to fight.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
  #31
Djeez
Fower Porward
 
Djeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Quebec
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Who is the best fighter on the Habs?
Heh. Moen or O'Byrne, I guess. Pouliot fought once and he seemed more than able, but we probably won't see it often.

Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
  #32
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Who is the best fighter on the Habs?
Probably Ryan O'Byrne. He's won a few fights this year. Or Travis Moen.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
  #33
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
If Gill knows he cant fight anyone, why does he continue?
so clarkson doesn't go after any of the skilled players on the habs, to get his team going...do you know what fighting in hockey is for?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
  #34
Rysto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The badlands
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But in this case, we know both players and we know ONE PLAYER HAS A HUGE SKILL ADVANTAGE. That is what you guys are ignoring. Gill isn't a fighter.

You put Gill against Clarkson and he's going to lose 8 out of 10 times because he lacks the skill to fight.

You put Gill up against PJ Stock and PJ stock is going to win most times, once again because of skill. That is what you guys are underestimating.
Isn't that exactly what the OP was saying?

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:47 PM
  #35
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
lol @ Habs fan defending Gill.
What Hab fans are defending him.
lol at trolls who can't even read.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
  #36
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
so clarkson doesn't go after any of the skilled players on the habs, to get his team going...do you know what fighting in hockey is for?
If you look at the video of the fight, Gill laid a check on Clarkson which had angered him. They dropped the gloves and Clarkson whopped his ***.

Clarkson didn't have an intention of going after any of the "skilled players"

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:49 PM
  #37
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msi View Post
What Hab fans are defending him.
lol at trolls who can't even read.
I was referring to macavoy.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
  #38
Hero
Buffy is Back
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,798
vCash: 500
He's a brutal fighter, but someone has to do it.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
  #39
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Clarkson didn't have an intention of going after any of the "skilled players"
maybe you've never seen clarkson play. that's what he does best, attack the impact players on the opponent's team.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
  #40
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Im happy Montreal dosen't have any "stage fighters". Montreal has players who will fight if they need to but they don't have any Orr's that fight right after the puck drop.

IMO that's the fighting the league has to get rid of.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
  #41
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
maybe you've never seen clarkson play. that's what he does best, attack the impact players on the opponent's team.
I was referring to that fight alone:

Gill vs. Clarkson

Clarkson didn't even interfere with any of these so called "skilled players"

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
  #42
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Cutting Laraque was a mistake, hope he comes back to Edmonton.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:01 PM
  #43
MatthewT
Registered User
 
MatthewT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Cutting Laraque was a mistake, hope he comes back to Edmonton.
I dont think so, doesn't montreal have a great record since that move?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:01 PM
  #44
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 500
Why do Habs fans (at least in this thread) care so much? He sucks at fighting. A lot of teams have sucky fighters. The Stars bring you Krys Barch. Punch him. Throw him. He's your punching bag to give your team energy.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
  #45
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I dont think so, doesn't montreal have a great record since that move?
Yea they do but what if a guy like Cammellari becomes a victim of an open ice hit?

Once the teams play again, who will stick up for him? Gill, i think not.

Maybe a healthy scratch would be reasonable for Laraque.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
  #46
LeafOfBread
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But in this case, we know both players and we know ONE PLAYER HAS A HUGE SKILL ADVANTAGE. That is what you guys are ignoring. Gill isn't a fighter.

You put Gill against Clarkson and he's going to lose 8 out of 10 times because he lacks the skill to fight.

You put Gill up against PJ Stock and PJ stock is going to win most times, once again because of skill. That is what you guys are underestimating.
Yes of course, David Clarkson has a black-belt in ice boxing. He's the light heavyweight champion of the UIFC (Ultimate Ice Fighting Championship).

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:07 PM
  #47
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,700
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Who is the best fighter on the Habs?
Gill sucks at fighting...just look at his history. I can't see how anyone can deny that. Moen and maybe Mara and O'Byrne are the Habs best fighters. BGL was when he was still in the lineup but he never fought so meant nothing.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:12 PM
  #48
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Cutting Laraque was a mistake, hope he comes back to Edmonton.
Not at all.

Laraque was taking up a roster spot over a younger player or someone who could actually contribute to the team. He was a factor whenever he was dressed and it was for all the wrong reasons. He was usually injured, poor defensively and scored once since he was signed. It's pretty obvious that he was a liability when he was on the ice and didn't contribute anything to team except for what he did off the ice.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
  #49
chuppa chupp
star gazing
 
chuppa chupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is completely uneducated. Just because your tall doesn't mean you have a HUGE advantage in a fight.

Would you say that 6'1 Sophia Young of the WNBA has a huge advantage in a fight against Brian Gionta because she is 5 inches taller than him?

Just because Gill is tall doesn't mean he is tough or has any fighting abilities. Strength and fighting abilities are what give you advantages in fights.
Haha, this comparison makes no sense at all.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
  #50
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Considering Clarkson couldn't even reach Gills head, then yes Gill had a huge advantage. Some fans will back their players no matter what
Gill SHOULD have an advantage given he has the reach, but he's not a fighter. This isn't defending, it's the truth.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.