HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you get the tongue of your skate to flop around?

Old
03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
jbroski15

vCash: 500
I have the new RBK 11Ks. and they have a protective strip down the middle with plastic. But they are built in segments so that they allow the flop just depends how much you want.

jbroski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
+1

Stock Easton S12's and I go tongue out. For me, it's a comfort thing. Guys have been wearing em like that for years.

FWIW, if you need the tongue up under your shins for proper support, chances are your skates don't fit correctly or you have some weak ass ankles.
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, i don't think any of us were making the argument for having your tongue under your shin pads, but just against how flopping your tongues out is just goofy and not necessary at all!

chances are most people don't flip their tongues out in their skates. I seriously don't understand how flopping the tongues out doesn't take support away from your ankles.

do you guys not lead forward at all when you are skating... or push down into the ice?
If I had my tongues out, id wouldn't feel as stable at all.. but i guess to each his own...

Last edited by Seanconn*: 03-27-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:06 PM
jsykes

I get zero support from the tongue above where the laces are tied. Above that it will just move, if you didnt have shins on, it would just bend over top the laces and you'll never notice any improved support.

Now, on the new TotalOnes, that have the insert in them to help give rebound spring, that is different. But the average felt tongue does nothing but protect your foot from shots and laces.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:09 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, i don't think any of us were making the argument for having your tongue under your shin pads, but just against how flopping your tongues out is just goofy and not necessary at all!

chances are most people don't flip their tongues out in their skates. I seriously don't understand how flopping the tongues out doesn't take support away from your ankles.

do you guys not lead forward at all when you are skating... or push down into the ice?
If I had my tongues out, id wouldn't feel as stable at all.. but i guess to each his own...
Quite the opposite, actually. With my tongues flopped im able to lean even further forward, which is why I do it. backwards crossovers are so much harder with the tongues in becuase its so stiff I can hardly lean at all. Although tongues in does help a TINY bit with forwards strides, but it's not worth it for sacrificing agility and backwards skating

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
Quite the opposite, actually. With my tongues flopped im able to lean even further forward, which is why I do it. backwards crossovers are so much harder with the tongues in becuase its so stiff I can hardly lean at all. Although tongues in does help a TINY bit with forwards strides, but it's not worth it for sacrificing agility and backwards skating
I agree with this. I just skate with my shin pads behind then tongue though. There isn't too much resistance for me to feel uncomfortable when skating backwards.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
stick9

Quote:

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of wearing your tongue out. It's not outside the laces, it's outside the shins. You're still lacing and tying your skates normally. So it shouldn't impact ankle support.

Chances are, most people do. I know most everyone I skate with wears them that way. The few guys I know who do, are life long d-man and do it for the added protection.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of wearing your tongue out. It's not outside the laces, it's outside the shins. You're still lacing and tying your skates normally. So it shouldn't impact ankle support.

Chances are, most people do. I know most everyone I skate with wears them that way. The few guys I know who do, are life long d-man and do it for the added protection.
that's how i tie me skates. I don't have my tongue behind my shin guards. that would suck!

but no you guys are simply talking about having your tongues outside your shin guards (which is how I wear my skates) not flopping your tongue basically in half and have them dangling there. which is what the OP was asking.

Old
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
that's how i tie me skates. I don't have my tongue behind my shin guards. that would suck!

but no you guys are simply talking about having your tongues outside your shin guards (which is how I wear my skates) not flopping your tongue basically in half and have them dangling there. which is what the OP was asking.
Do you understand that you are doing the same thing as the guys in the pictures, and what the op was asking, just dont have the tongue folded down??

I don't know if you really cant make sense of this or what, but if your tongue is outside your shins, if you folded it above the top lace, your setup would look just like the pics in the original post.

You are doing the same thing, just don't have it flopped over. The guys in the pics don't have them dangling there, their skates are laced up all the way.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Do you understand that you are doing the same thing as the guys in the pictures, and what the op was asking, just dont have the tongue folded down??

I don't know if you really cant make sense of this or what, but if your tongue is outside your shins, if you folded it above the top lace, your setup would look just like the pics in the original post.

You are doing the same thing, just don't have it flopped over. The guys in the pics don't have them dangling there, their skates are laced up all the way.

yeah, and i think the first person to reply basically nailed the answer. If all you guys are trying to say here is that you can fold your tongue out a bit without ruining your support, okay yes. but you are not going to get your tongue looking like either of the two pics in the OP, without not tying it up all the way. my Rbks actually have pretty big tongues but I would at least have to tie them up two eyelets short to get the fold to the extent in the pics that he's asking about.

you guys simply assumed I was arguing for having my tongue behind my shin guard. ..

but im done arguing with a bunch of americans telling me i don't know what im talking about when it comes to tying your skates.

Old
03-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
yeah, and i think the first person to reply basically nailed the answer. If all you guys are trying to say here is that you can fold your tongue out a bit without ruining your support, okay yes. but you are not going to get your tongue looking like either of the two pics in the OP, without not tying it up all the way. my Rbks actually have pretty big tongues but I would at least have to tie them up two eyelets short to get the fold to the extent in the pics that he's asking about.

you guys simply assumed I was arguing for having my tongue behind my shin guard. ..

but im done arguing with a bunch of americans telling me i don't know what im talking about when it comes to tying your skates.
No. My skates have stock tongues. I use all eyelets when I lace my skates. My tongues look exactly like the pics in the first post. And judging by your posts, you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to tying your skates.

Old
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
No. My skates have stock tongues. I use all eyelets when I lace my skates. My tongues look exactly like the pics in the first post. And judging by your posts, you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to tying your skates.
so you have felt tongues in your skates?

Buddy, i've been skating since I was 2 years old. Been playing hockey since I was 5. judging by your posts, your more worried about having your skates look like your a pro then actually skating like a pro. all style no substance

flopping your tongues out to an extreme with a: wear out your tongues. b: probably mean your not tying your skates tight enough and c: likely make you lean forward a little too much (that extra pressure leaning into the tongue of your skate will affect how well you can stay on your edge when making sharper turns or pivoting from forwards to backwards) and don't even get me started on how it would affect your backward skating.

Could I still skates 95% as well as I do with my skates tied how I usually tie them? yes. but the motives behind doing this are nothing but superficial.. which is lame, imo.

my opinion is that if your worried about skating to the best of your abilities tie your skates properly. If you aren't and are just worried about looking as cool as possible while playing, do whatever the **** you want. But don't attack my credentials when im just trying to give someone my honest advice here.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:44 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:

Buddy, i've been skating since I was 2 years old. Been playing hockey since I was 5. judging by your posts, your more worried about having your skates look like your a pro then actually skating like a pro. all style no substance

flopping your tongues out to an extreme with a: wear out your tongues. b: probably mean your not tying your skates tight enough and c: likely make you lean forward a little too much (that extra pressure leaning into the tongue of your skate will affect how well you can stay on your edge when making sharper turns or pivoting from forwards to backwards) and don't even get me started on how it would affect your backward skating.

Could I still skates 95% as well as I do with my skates tied how I usually tie them? yes. but the motives behind doing this are nothing but superficial.. which is lame, imo.

my opinion is that if your worried about skating to the best of your abilities tie your skates properly. If you aren't and are just worried about looking as cool as possible while playing, do whatever the **** you want. But don't attack my credentials when im just trying to give someone my honest advice here.
Luckily for you, I did get started on that already.

I find it funny when people are so insecure that they go out of their way NOT to do anything that resembles even an attempt at "style". It's really not that big of a deal. Some people like to wear their gear the way they think it looks best, it's not a sin, and it doesnt make you some sort of bandwagoner or *****.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
Luckily for you, I did get started on that already.

I find it funny when people are so insecure that they go out of their way NOT to do anything that resembles even an attempt at "style". It's really not that big of a deal. Some people like to wear their gear the way they think it looks best, it's not a sin, and it doesnt make you some sort of bandwagoner or *****.
just trying to give you some helpful advice so you can be the best skater you possibly can!

style mattered to me a lot more when I was playing competitive hockey.. most players myself included care about having nice helmets and gloves and stick. I swore by my yellow waxed laces... but one thing I would never compromise is stability in my skates just to look cooler. Hey, maybe you would be worse at skating if you were to stop flopping out your tongue to an extreme, and tie your skates like I do.

But for my style of skating I'm very used to "pushing" my mass forward into my skates, and getting as much power from each stride as possible. For me, if I flopped out to an extreme, it would adversely affect my skating. Maybe it's because I figure skated for quite a long time alongside playing hockey, and figure skating coaches stress this type of skating technique quite a bit. not having that 100% support can make a difference. shocking i know

now if you are doing this to emulate the pros, lets take a look at some of the best skaters in the NHL, and how they do up their skates.

Pavel Bure:

http://www.nyiforlife.com/uploaded_i...-96-766008.jpg

Scott Niedermayer:

http://fongbao.files.wordpress.com/2...ermayer-13.jpg

Chelios:

http://stanleycupplayoffs2008.com/As...%20Detroit.jpg

Patrick Marleau:

http://www.insidehockey.com/files/im...%20Marleau.jpg

Mikhail Grabovski:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Ol9IL...hail+Grabovski

Cogliano:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dy...le_13462_2.jpg

and Marian Gaborik:

http://eastonhockey.com/video/marian...ik_image04.jpg

not creating a best of the best list here or anything but these guys are all undoubtedly some of the best skaters to play in the NHL. Not a whole lot of flopping goin on..

although, Federov did flop... yet it seems most of the top skaters don't.

what a thread...

Old
03-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:

Buddy, you have no idea where I've played or how long I have been doing it. If I was as worried about impressing people on a message board as you are, I would brag about how long I've been skating and the teams I've played for, but I'm not.

I'm not sure if you can't read or aren't smart enough to figure out what has been said, but the tongue of the skates folds over the top lace. Its not a style thing, its more like my shinguards have pushed down on the tongue and the composite metatarsal guard has stayed bent in that position. Trust me, my skates are tied plenty tight and my backwards skating is fine. Thanks for worrying about me though, I guess that's the nice sweet figure skater in you.

Also, have you ever taken the time to look at a pair of speed skates? I wonder how they can go so fast or even skate at all considering that there is barely a tongue and not really any ankle support?

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/XiVJM...g+Championship

Wonder if those guys skate fast? :sarcas m:

Old
03-28-2010, 11:07 PM
SERE 24
LGR

A lot of people go tongues out. It's just a preference. However, to get the really pronounced flop like you see on a lot of NHL skates you do need a custom/modified tongue. Wearing your skates tongues out because that's what you prefer is entirely normal. Modifying your skates to emulate something you think looks "cool", especially when said modification will have no impact on comfort, fit or efficiency, makes you look like a goon.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
stick9

Quote:

now if you are doing this to emulate the pros, lets take a look at some of the best skaters in the NHL, and how they do up their skates.

Chelios:

not creating a best of the best list here or anything but these guys are all undoubtedly some of the best skaters to play in the NHL. Not a whole lot of flopping goin on..

what a thread...
You forgot one pretty good skater.

Your Chelios picture is a prefect example of tongues out. Nothing extreme, nothing out of the norm. That's exactly how I wear my skates as do most people I know.

So, looking at the pics you've posted one thing can be learned, it's all personal preference.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Webernaut

Quote:
just trying to give you some helpful advice so you can be the best skater you possibly can!

style mattered to me a lot more when I was playing competitive hockey.. most players myself included care about having nice helmets and gloves and stick. I swore by my yellow waxed laces... but one thing I would never compromise is stability in my skates just to look cooler. Hey, maybe you would be worse at skating if you were to stop flopping out your tongue to an extreme, and tie your skates like I do.

But for my style of skating I'm very used to "pushing" my mass forward into my skates, and getting as much power from each stride as possible. For me, if I flopped out to an extreme, it would adversely affect my skating. Maybe it's because I figure skated for quite a long time alongside playing hockey, and figure skating coaches stress this type of skating technique quite a bit. not having that 100% support can make a difference. shocking i know

Pavel Bure:

http://www.nyiforlife.com/uploaded_i...-96-766008.jpg

Scott Niedermayer:

http://fongbao.files.wordpress.com/2...ermayer-13.jpg

Chelios:

Patrick Marleau:

http://www.insidehockey.com/files/im...%20Marleau.jpg

Mikhail Grabovski:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Ol9IL...hail+Grabovski

Cogliano:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dy...le_13462_2.jpg

and Marian Gaborik:

http://eastonhockey.com/video/marian...ik_image04.jpg

what a thread...
You're a tool bag.

It's personal preference. Here is a list of players that play tongues out and would dominate the list you made.

Wayne Gretzky... I have heard he is good.
Alex Ovechkin
Sergei Federov
Mike Green
Mark Messier
Marcel Dionne
Mario Lemieux

I can keep going.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Webernaut

Joe Sakic
Ray Borque
Mark Recchi
Adam Oates
Jari Kurri

Last edited by Webernaut: 03-29-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Webernaut

Why do you think the Bauer Supreme TotalOne is coming with different flex tongues? There was a ton of Euro players back in the day that cut off the tendon guard on the back of the skate. I am not sure but I think those guys are known for a certain skating style...

OP, try it out. That's the best I can say. I used to skip the top two eyelits and fold the tongue down. I switched to playing with tongues in and like the feel better. I also think that the type of skate you wear will factor in. I still play tounges out on my CCM Pro Tacks that I converted to inline but on my CCM U+ Pros for ice, I go tongues in. A teammate of mine likes the style factor of tongues out but the feel of tongues in. So, he bought some white felt tongues, cut them down a bit, sewed them on like two inches from the top of the original tongue, so that when he laces the skates he laces around the white tongue so it flops. Like the laces are on the outside of it all the way to the tongue then they tuck behind but stay on top of the original tongue. Kind of a cool idea if you're in to that. I will try to post pics for anyone that wants to see.

Old
03-29-2010, 05:29 PM
SERE 24
LGR

The argument of "Tongue Out" vs "Tongue In" is not only absurdly ridiculous (it has minimal, if ANY, effect on your skating, as evidenced by the countless professional players worldwide who represent both styles) but it isn't what this thread was created about.

If you want the tongue to flop you have to train it to flop (there have been numerous ways suggested in this thread). If you want the really pronounced flop that you see some NHLers having, you'll need a longer, modified/custom tongue. That's pretty much the end of the conversation.

I wear my skates with the tongues under my shins. Clearly, from that picture, I could get the flop by simply training my tongue to stay folded, but it wouldn't be as pronounced as you see on guys like Ovie, because I have a stock X:60 tongue. Unless you're going to stop an eyelet lower when lacing your skates, if you want the *really big* flop you'll need to replace your tongue.

If you're not in the NHL and you realize that having a bigger portion of tongue hanging out won't change the way you play hockey at all than you're a pretty big hoser if you go out and spend money on something that trivial. Modding your tongues to get the big flop is worse than wearing a tinted visor. At least you can buy a tinted visor as is... modding your tongues for house league is like buying a clear visor and than taking it to an auto-body shop to get it tinted (yes, I met a kid at an open hockey who had done that; no, I don't wear a tinted visor).

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
The argument of "Tongue Out" vs "Tongue In" is not only absurdly ridiculous (it has minimal, if ANY, effect on your skating, as evidenced by the countless professional players worldwide who represent both styles) but it isn't what this thread was created about.
+1. Exactly. I will say, I've skated both ways and with the tongue out it does feel like you're less restricted but in reality, it doesn't hinder or help mobility of the ankle.

It's all personal preference.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
PlagerBros*

SeanConn- Wow, you seriously have no clue. Using your logic we should all use tube skates since two of the three best players of all time used them and we should tuck our jersey's into one side of our pants and secure it with velcro since the third did that.

Oh, and I have been flopping my tongues since I started skating at the age of two (back in the mid 70's) and have never had any issues with flexibility, support or any of your other red herrings.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagerBros View Post
SeanConn- Wow, you seriously have no clue. Using your logic we should all use tube skates since two of the three best players of all time used them and we should tuck our jersey's into one side of our pants and secure it with velcro since the third did that.

Oh, and I have been flopping my tongues since I started skating at the age of two (back in the mid 70's) and have never had any issues with flexibility, support or any of your other red herrings.
not really, im just saying my preference is to not flop out my tongue to a ridiculous extreme as I wouldn't feel as much pressure on my lower leg on the tongue, which im used to.

I don't tuck my tongue behind my shin guards, i have them out, but not flopped out like a freaking idiot. flopping out all crazy will definitely have a minute affect on your skating if you are actually using proper technique. but considering most of guys are yanks, you don't know crap all

Old
03-30-2010, 03:51 PM
swede84

vCash: 398
I wouldn't be surprised if skate baking has to do with the overall flexibility of the tongue as well. I'm sure that combined with how much use those skates get causes the tongue to become much more flexible

swede84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I look at it the same way as black vs. white tape and lefty vs. righty...if one was really better than the other then everyone would do it one way.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote