HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Eye sight involving hockey players.....

Old
03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
HemskyToHall*

vCash: 500
Eye sight involving hockey players.....

Hello.

My brother who is 10 years old is considering playing hockey.

His eyesight is not very good though. (Cant see time on clock, etc)

What can I do to help him?

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I've always found that these people called optometrists give you these things called contacts that really help with eyesight.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
I've always found that these people called optometrists give you these things called contacts that really help with eyesight.
Ahh contacts for a 10 year old?

Sorry my parents wouldn't allow this.

Wouldn't it be dangerous tho?

Old
03-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Read the first question of this...

http://www.allaboutvision.com/contact-lenses-teens/

Or you can get him prescription sport goggles and have him get chirped non stop.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
SabresFreak97

Oh Yeah

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
AIREAYE

just glasses, nothing wrong with that

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:12 PM
noobman

There's nothing wrong with playing hockey w/ glasses on. I've been doing it forever.

If he starts playing at a high level he should get contacts.... just because at that level you get more contact, and you don't want to take any unnecessary risks (glass shattering due to high impact collision, but in that case the kid would prob. have a concussion anyways). Besides, every time you get hit w/ glasses on you have to reposition them. Wearing glasses also limits your peripheral vision (where contacts give you clear sight all around) and they are prone to fogging.

Then again, there's the risk of contacts falling out.

Flexons are the way to go for comfort. Get the lenses as big as comfortably possible (not so big that he gets teased at school). Designer glasses look great and all, but they're not very practical from a sports perspective.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Pog Form

I wear contacts. Don't know if 10 is too young for them, though.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
DevilsFan38

Glasses? If his eyesight is that bad he should probably have them so he can see the board in school...

I know plenty of people who wear glasses and play, and especially since he'll have a full cage it's not like he'll take a puck to the face and shatter them.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

i've played with lots of kids with glasses, some of em were really good players... definitely might get beaked at a bit, especially if he's scoring goals... but it's just going to be the retards who can't play worth ****, that will be worried about beaking kids over wearing glasses. You mean his eyesight is bad enough that he can't see the clock with his glasses on, or without, haha? because if that's the case... well, pick a different sport.

he's 10, he's not going to have to worry about glasses posing a problem until kids really start hitting hard, and if he's still playing at that point, im sure he'll get contacts or some form of sports glasses!

make sure he's got a cage not a visor (so he can adjust if he really needs to) and might want to look into getting a spray to prevent fogging up.

bigger the frame the better, so he has a good line of sight like noobman, (haha) said.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

I saw a kid wearing glasses under his full face cage the other day. He looked okay with it, your brother should do fine.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:37 AM
VickiUKHockeyFan

I've posted about my sight before, and if you look at my most recent thread you'll see I just started playing. At the moment I'm not wearing my glasses because the helmet I'm using won't fit with them on. I'm doing ok so far and when I get my own lid I'll make the decision as to whether I keep playing without them or put them on. Just get your brother a helmet that can accomodate his glasses while still being safe and he should be fine. And encourage him, it's hard learning for anyone but when you can't see well it can be even harder so keep encouraging him even when things get tough.

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
TCNorthstars

I have a bad astigmatism and horrible eyesight. I can't wear soft contacts, I have to wear rigid contacts. I usually don't wear my contact for hockey. I just go without. I can see the puck just fine like this. I couldn't read a clock, but I can see the puck.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I started wearing contacts in 6th grade, I dont feel like figuring out what the age is for that but its gotta be somewhat close. No problems whatsoever for me wearing contacts that young. Me eyesight is pretty bad too, for contacts im -8 in each eye.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
I have a bad astigmatism and horrible eyesight. I can't wear soft contacts, I have to wear rigid contacts. I usually don't wear my contact for hockey. I just go without. I can see the puck just fine like this. I couldn't read a clock, but I can see the puck.
I always play with contacts now. Have you ever tried it? I'm not familar with soft vs. rigid lenses, but I know that mine are soft. I can play fine without them, but my depth perception improves so greatly with them on that I can't imagine playing without them.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Those look almost exactly like my glasses.

I used to wear contacts all the time but a few years ago I switched exclusively to glasses because the contacts were drying my eyes out and giving me headaches. Now that I have started playing hockey, I am wondering whether to wear contacts just for the game or to wear my glasses under the cage... the glasses fit fine but I do get more peripheral vision with the contacts. I'm still deciding.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
frito

He can always wear a pair of recspecs http://http://www.sporteyes.com/rsgog.htm. I have a pair of these that I'll wear if I'm not wearing my contacts. I see plenty of kids out there wearing regular glasses though I'd lean towards the recspecs.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
I have pair almost just likely these that are now my hockey glasses. I bought them maybe 4 years ago so now there a bit small on me and fit in my helmet perfectly. That's one thing to make sure of before you buy him a pair, make sure they fit in his helmet.

You do have to adjust them sometimes, but it's not every minute or anything, plus if it's that big of a deal you can buy these things:

BTW I've been wearing glasses while playing hockey for about 6 years now and no one has ever chirped me for it lol.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Ziostilon

are there prescription versions of what amare stoudemire is wearing in this picture

looks like those can withstand some impact, considering the basketball might come into your face, and player's hands often come up to that area

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:38 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

I wear contacts to play but for coaching I wear glasses. I just wore my glasses to my lhs and tried on helmets until I found one that was comfortable with them. Bauer 5500 to be exact. Just make sure his glasses have plastic lenses not glass.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
HemskyToHall*

He does wear glasses, but I'm afraid they might get broken..

Maybe full cage with glasses, or sports goggles on?

Old
03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
kirsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
He does wear glasses, but I'm afraid they might get broken..

Maybe full cage with glasses, or sports goggles on?
i have a full cage and glasses.

if you worry about his main pair breaking, you can always get cheap, backup ones for hockey. there are lots of websites like this one (http://www.zennioptical.com) from which you can get prescription glasses. just call his eye doctor and ask for his prescription info and pupillary distance.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Those look like my reading glasses.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Should be fine. If he's wearing a cage anyways then no worries. Which kids that young should have anyways.

I play with glasses and a visor (sometimes a cage). Never had a problem playing or getting chirped. Nor do I have issues with fogging up anymore than my visor would normally. If anything, I get a smile and nod when I see someone on the other team wearing a pair.

The glasses posted are similar, the ones I wear have the rubbery/bendy arms/frame. So the flex takes the stress off the joints if I do take a jolt.

Just make sure he picks a helmet that fits with the glasses on. I tried a few and they way they sat on my hear made it tough to keep my glasses straight. I evenually got a Nike Bauer 5500 which was very comfy and didn't interfere at all. Recently got a Easton Stealth S9 which is just as good, albiet smaller profile.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote