HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Kings v. Dallas Stars: THOUGHTS, TIDBITS, AND COMPLAINTS!

Old
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
So after a night's sleep to cool off I feel I should clarify a few things (if anyone actually cares what I have to say): First, I don't think this team won't make the playoffs. I don't expect them to go 0-8 and have Calgary win 4 of their next 7. However, I'm particularly worried about what happens when they get to the playoffs. I get the statement that this season is not about this season, believe me, but I question how conducive to team development in the future it will be to back into the playoffs and presumably get waxed by a top team. Second, people can argue about how a slump like this was bound to happen and whatnot, but the way the slump is happening is what is most disconcerting. They have spurts where they play great, but that is followed by even longer droughts of awful play. No cohesion on the forecheck, too many blatant mistakes in the defensive zone, not enough loose puck battles won. All of these are adding up to some bad hockey for a majority of the time since the Olympic break. Something needs to happen with this team, and it needs to happen soon.

As someone who has played competitive hockey for a long time (and I still do), I can guarantee you that on even the most tight-knit teams, a string of losses and poor performances (in general) leads to negativity seeping into the dressing room and onto the ice (as much as people try to guard against it). It's only human nature. I think Brown's post game quotes last night are evidence of that. Negativity is not conducive to successful team building. I've had many a good teams ruined by overall negativity. I think it's starting to affect the players.

They've been less than impressive in their wins the past couple weeks, inconsistent in their losses (and sometimes downright terrible), and there is something that just doesn't feel right about how things are starting to go with this team. Like I said, something needs to happen soon to snap them out of it.
Your statements are right on point, and the knowledge that losing breeds negativity must be looked at here. We aren't going to see any monumental changes, or even minimal changes, other than line combo's. TM has implemented a rigid (too rigid???) structure that he is not going to part with simply because the team isnt playing well. The team has to find a way to execute the system, with all its strengths and weaknesses, if they are to play well enough to have a shot at even getting to the second round.

I, like yourself, think that a first round and out playoff showing may in fact be detrimental to this team's apparently fragile psyche. And, although we don't KNOW what's going on in the dressing room for sure, Brownie's comments sure seem an indication that something isn't right.

I think the players do need to MAN UP, individually, and as a team, and show that desperation that we have seen them display in some of their come from behind games. I just hope that there are some reserves left in the tank right now, becasue they look like they are down to running on fumes.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I meant most dangerous PP dman. He's more dangerous than Doughty in my opinion. Jack creates more scoring chances per alotted time than any of the people we've had at the point.
Johnson needs to learn two things to be the player you want him to be offensively: 1) to shoot the puck quickly and not hold on to it so long that the oppsoing winger gets up on him and takes his shot away; and 2) to put the shots he does get off on the friggin NET.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post

JJ does almost nothing right. He holds on to the puck just past the last possible second to make the right play, then turns it over. He peels off of breakout plays to regroup for no apparent reason. He can't hit the net from 50 feet out. He tries to shoot it thru players instead of moving the puck quickly, and avoids wrist shots like they were the plague.

He is the worst possible player to put out on the PP right now because he doesn't use his teammates. They have no faith that he will make the smart, simple play. Scuderi, who has almost no offensive ability at all is a better choice because at least he will keep it simple and follow the system.

Ok, check Jack's turnover stats. You're being biased and it's making you wrong regarding his tendancy to turn the puck over. Yes, he peeled off on the PP yesterday and then regrouped but if you don't think he made the right decision doing so you again are biased. There was a forward line change which would have made the play a 4 on 1. One of your biggest beefs with Brown is that he does exactly what you condemn JJ for not doing. He made the right play. I won't even respond to you saying he can't hit the net since I already did. Terry Murray even mentioned Jack as one of the teams best passers because he sends the puck to a point instead of where the player was. Are you really dogging Jack for not using wrist shots? Jarred Stoll man. Jarred Stoll.

You are so wrong about not using his teammates. You are just talking out of your ass to help your debate. Jack defering to his teammates is his biggest offensive issue. He doesn't shoot the puck nearly as much as he should. Please don't ever talk like you know what his teammates are thinking. Unless you have an open line to his teammates and discuss their trust of Jack don't talk at all. There is no signs of that on the ice.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
To say Jack Johnson is more dangerous than Drew on the point.. Is.. well.. stupid. Drew Doughty is better in every aspect of the game than Jack Johnson is.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
To say Jack Johnson is more dangerous than Drew on the point.. Is.. well.. stupid. Drew Doughty is better in every aspect of the game than Jack Johnson is.
Scoring chances. Jack creates more on the PP than Drew when you pro rate time.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Also, Williams and Modin have killed this team. Modin makes so many stupid decisions. His turnover to takeaway rate is off the chart. Also, he makes at least one Ivanans style penalty each game.

Williams has made no effort to play D since his return and is often seen leaving the zone without posession. His balance just isn't there and it's apparent in his puck possesion. He's killing any type of offensive pressure that the Kopitar line puts forth. I want to say he's not even trying but I know he's a character guy that probably doesn't have his wheels back yet. Meanwhile, he shouldn't be on the top line.
Jack Johnson is a tool bro, sorry. He needs to know that he's in the show now, and not in Michigan. That bs doesn't fly in the NHL. Hickey and Voynov right now would make better decisions that he does.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Scoring chances. Jack creates more on the PP than Drew when you pro rate time.
Jack creates shots that end up basically being passes to the other teams killers. And it gets sent right down the ice for your buddy to go fetch.

If your EYES cant see that Drew Doughty creates WAY more perhaps numbers will.. The guy IS third in defenseman scoring behind Keith, and Mike Green (who is basically a fourth forward cause that guy doesn't play defense).

Meanwhile YOUR BOY is fourth to last in plus/minus with -19, and spare me the "he plays with Randy Jones" line cause if Johnson "creates" as much as you say he does he'd be able to figure it out and "create" with anybody.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Any word on Greene?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Calgary won today....let's hope they don't get momentum

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:25 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Any word on Greene?
Yeah, we need Greene back in there on the PK.

I hope his upper body injury isn't the same back problem he had earlier in the season.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Jack creates shots that end up basically being passes to the other teams killers. And it gets sent right down the ice for your buddy to go fetch.

If your EYES cant see that Drew Doughty creates WAY more perhaps numbers will.. The guy IS third in defenseman scoring behind Keith, and Mike Green (who is basically a fourth forward cause that guy doesn't play defense).

Meanwhile YOUR BOY is fourth to last in plus/minus with -19, and spare me the "he plays with Randy Jones" line cause if Johnson "creates" as much as you say he does he'd be able to figure it out and "create" with anybody.
Scoring chances man. When does Doughty create scoring chances? He shoots the puck and gets close to as much PP time as any Dman in the NHL. Points are going to come when you shoot the puck every chance you get. The only time Doughty creates scoring chances on the PP is when he takes it end to end. He has the ability to create but the first team PP is as vanilla as you'll see. Jack is not, which is probably why he gets so little time. The Kings PP scheme is just silly.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
bland

Quote:
Ok, check Jack's turnover stats. You're being biased and it's making you wrong regarding his tendancy to turn the puck over. Yes, he peeled off on the PP yesterday and then regrouped but if you don't think he made the right decision doing so you again are biased. There was a forward line change which would have made the play a 4 on 1. One of your biggest beefs with Brown is that he does exactly what you condemn JJ for not doing. He made the right play. I won't even respond to you saying he can't hit the net since I already did. Terry Murray even mentioned Jack as one of the teams best passers because he sends the puck to a point instead of where the player was. Are you really dogging Jack for not using wrist shots? Jarred Stoll man. Jarred Stoll.

You are so wrong about not using his teammates. You are just talking out of your ass to help your debate. Jack defering to his teammates is his biggest offensive issue. He doesn't shoot the puck nearly as much as he should. Please don't ever talk like you know what his teammates are thinking. Unless you have an open line to his teammates and discuss their trust of Jack don't talk at all. There is no signs of that on the ice.

There is really no sense in highlighting any particular portion of your post, because it is all 100% factually incorrect. It's not even a matter of differing opinions - it's just false.

You are stating things that are not happening. Sorry man, you are just flat out wrong about this issue.

And one point of clarification, I am not talking about just the powerplay - the bigger issue is that he holds the puck too long on the breakouts and misses opportunities to hit fowards in stride.

There is a definite reason why his +/- is so bad - his decision making leads to less offensive possession and increased attack time for the opponent. This is fact, and not opinion. He sags in off the blueline allowing easier attack angles, and simply doesn't do much with the puck.

It's not a question of pure skill - of course he is capable of passing well. The problem is the decision making - he makes the wrong plays at the wrong time.

My only bias is pro-Kings. Every player has a bad game from time to time, but the two players who consistently make the same mistakes, never learning from them, are Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown. Both of those two make terrible decisions both with and away from the puck, and they are simply not improving. Neither deserves the minutes they are getting, and they are hurting the team with their play.

The only acceptable defense for Johnson is that he is young, inexperienced and has probably played twice as much hockey this season than he ever has in one year before.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
On the selfishly bright side, I didn't see one second of this game.
Luckily neither did I.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
On the selfishly bright side, I didn't see one second of this game.
Same as me, High Five

Quote:
When he and Drew played together everyone here and the main board were comparing that pairing to the Bhawks and Preds. Unfortunately, unlike Drew, Jack doesn't get the benefit of playing with our other sound Dmen. Our back end of the D is without a doubt the worst in the NHL.
When Jack played with Drew it was just dreadful. They was no real praise by anyone after a couple of games. It was nice at first for 2 young stars to play together, but people quickly realised they were awful together since both need a stay at home dman beside them at this stage in their careers.

Our back end of the D is by far not the worst in the NHL. Greene- SoD is a stud pairing, I have huge confidence with those 2 on the ice. It isnt a coincedence that all of the combos of lines that JJ has been on, has been the kings weak D link. At the start of the year, people gave him the benefit of the doubt for having a large minus, but now we are realising it is because he just makes poor decisions all the time. Hopefully he will grow out of it though since he has the natural talent

Quote:
Scoring chances man. When does Doughty create scoring chances? He shoots the puck and gets close to as much PP time as any Dman in the NHL.
Are you serious? When on the pp, he skates the puck into the zone to set up more often than the forwards do, add that into the fact, he has a natural talent at being able to get a majority of his shots to the net to create havoc. JJ has the abilty to try and hit the puck as hard as he can in the general direction of the net

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

The part about Jack hesitating on nearly every play, be in offense or defense, pass or shot, can not be underscored enough. It is a huge problem for him and I have no idea why he has this issue. He didn't have it for Team U.S.A.

The only time Jack is decisive is when he decides to rush the puck end to end. Only problem there is he then proceeds to stick around and try and forecheck once his initial chance doesn't work out, instead of immediately hustling back to his D spot and switching with the forward as he should. Inevitably the play turns the other way and Jack has to hustle even harder to get back.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Same as me, High Five
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Luckily neither did I.
High fives all around!

I'm missing tonight's game and tomorrow's as well. I hate missing wins, but I'll make an exception now that we need them SO desperately!

Old
03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
High fives all around!

I'm missing tonight's game and tomorrow's as well. I hate missing wins, but I'll make an exception now that we need them SO desperately!
You might want to record the game tonight. Bernier will either be the savior or the goat.

You don't want to miss that.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You might want to record the game tonight. Bernier will either be the savior or the goat.

You don't want to miss that.
Oh they are both set to record, I just likely won't have time to watch them until wednesday. I MAY be able to watch tonight's game around 9, and fast forward through tomorrow's game in the 30 minutes I'll be home before I need to sleep.

Watch Bernier just be a healthy scratch tonight and all us be like