HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov Out "Several Weeks" (Lower Body) / Sulzer recalled / New Lines

Old
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I actually like the detail of the injury report. The ubiquitous "upper body - lower body" injury is annoying. Tell us what the injury is so we know how long the player will be out. Or, don't say anything at all. I'd love to know what is wrong with Weber. Does he have a hairline fracture, strained ligaments, hyper-extended thumb, etc...

Why does Grebeshkov's injury result in gory details, while Weber's injury is veiled in secrecy? It doesn't matter to me where Grebs had surgery. I just want to know how long he'll be out. Same goes for Weber, or any other injured player.
I don't really want to know the details, and nor should the team release the details this time of year, so opponents can pinpoint & work on the opponent's injury all game long ... yeah, that's not smart ... I prefer the Bill Belichek school of injury reports ... the more vague, the better

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I actually like the detail of the injury report. The ubiquitous "upper body - lower body" injury is annoying. Tell us what the injury is so we know how long the player will be out. Or, don't say anything at all. I'd love to know what is wrong with Weber. Does he have a hairline fracture, strained ligaments, hyper-extended thumb, etc...

Why does Grebeshkov's injury result in gory details, while Weber's injury is veiled in secrecy? It doesn't matter to me where Grebs had surgery. I just want to know how long he'll be out. Same goes for Weber, or any other injured player.

They don't release injury reports because guys will go after the injured body part when they return from the injury. Someone playing with broken thumb will get slashed on his thumb. Injured shoulder.....sure to checked on that shoulder. Nobody will have the b*lls (pun intended) to hit Grebs there again when he comes back.

Last edited by Steelhead16: 03-10-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
They don't release injury reports because guys will go after the injured body part when they return from the injury. Someone playing with broken thumb will get slashed on his thumb. Injured shoulder.....sure to checked on that shoulder. Nobody will have the b*lls (pun intended) to hit Gebs there again when he comes back.
I'm sure this happens on occasion. But other professional sports aren't half as cryptic as the NHL concerning injuries... are they? And if other players really wanted to go after Weber's hand/wrist, all they have to do is watch 30 seconds of the game film to determine where on his upper body the injury occurred. I'll bet the same could be said for 90% of the injuries in the NHL. When the team is scouted and film is reviewed, it wouldn't be hard to determine what part of the body was injured on a particular player.

Maybe the upper/lower body response began in an era where game film wasn't easily accessible. With today's technology, it just seems a little silly to me.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I don't care one way or another whether the NHL limits their injury info to "upper/lower body". Unlike most other sports, injuries are treated in the locker rooms which are closed to the media during games. In the NFL, injuries are largely treated out on the field where the media roam pretty freely and treatments are within public view for observation.

There are also HIPAA regulations in play here that the NHL abides by. It is the player's prerogative whether or not he wants to disclose the nature of his ailment. Many times the player won't care and will comment on it or it is not something they can hide (like a sling/cast/walking boot/etc) and therefore the info is released anyways.

But the bottom line with injury info is that the main reason it is released and so readily sought after is for betting purposes. All the inquires from general fans with a sincere interest combined don't come close to the info that is scoured over for betting purposes alone. Due to it's niche status and lack of a larger TV deal, there is not a lot of action on NHL games and therefore, the NHL gets away with "upper/lower body" injury reports without any real hub-bub....

However, the real issue here is that Grebeshkov in this instance specifically asked for privacy in this matter and the Predators complied by announcing it in accordance with the "lower/upper body" policy and not commenting further on the nature of the injury. It was released by an Edmonton reporter that clearly did not call the Predators, Grebeshkov, or his representatives and reported it to the world.

In this case, I have a problem with it. I'm not anyone special, but occasionally I do get inside info on things like injuries and I would never report any specifics I heard about a player that was actively injured, especially with the sensitive nature of this injury, not even withstanding Grebeshkov's request for privacy.

IMO, this simply isn't cool...not only is Grebeshkov actively injured and recovering from his injury, but now he also wasn't even provided the opportunity to be the first to speak about the injury himself. Yes, these guys are professional athletes, but they are people too and deserve some basic respect as human beings...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Oh wow. Poor Grebs. I can only imagine the pain there, not to mention the sort of embarrassment attached to it (not that there should be, but all know there is). He's also with a new set of guys that he's not completely comfortable around yet... I hope they make him feel supported and whatnot (which I'm sure they will).

And since he asked it be kept private, it does anger me that it was released.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Oh **** SON!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

HIPPA and sports medicine have changed the rules of the game. I know, I used to be one of those poor ******** who'd run on the ice in Khakis and polos going "Oh ****! Oh ****!"

The whole idea about releasing an injury before an athlete has given permission should be considered criminal in the respect of HIPPA. Not sure how this relates with a Canadian reporter and an American team. There is a level of discourse this reporter crossed and he should be getting a nice pile of forms from Grebs and the Predators' lawyers.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I have to say the fact that Grebs played a bit after getting hit if that is true is a warrior. Good luck to him and I hope he recovers well.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I left a comment for the tool that wrote the story.... not that it will do any good...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I left a comment for the tool that wrote the story.... not that it will do any good...
No, it won't. Summary judgement might. Frankly, if the Preds and Grebs doesn't sue him then reporters will not learn from this.

Old
03-13-2010, 02:48 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Wow! I never actually clicked in this thread. I just assumed "lower body injury" meant leg or foot. But I had no idea it was a groin injury. I'm with everyone else here about the article. Not cool! Get well Grebs, we need ya!
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Bad Karma

He must be close to coming back since Sulzer was reassigned.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
He must be close to coming back since Sulzer was reassigned.
I think that was done because Weber is firmly back in the lineup now, and Franson has played extremely well since being called back up.

I would suspect it will be another week at the very least.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:55 PM
goalscorer

Any updates?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Any updates?
Grebs was cleared to resume exercising earlier this week, but still has not been cleared to resume skating. Therefore, he is still out indefinitely, but making progress...

Old
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
OpenWheel

Poile as much as said during the pre-game not to expect him much before the playoffs. He said he'll see the doctor this thursday, and that they originally said 2 to 4 weeks and he expects closer to four. So he said it will be a good shot in the arm to have a rested Grebs available for the playoffs. Personally I don't know how "rested" a guy gets when recovering from a major #### hit.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Poile as much as said during the pre-game not to expect him much before the playoffs. He said he'll see the doctor this thursday, and that they originally said 2 to 4 weeks and he expects closer to four. So he said it will be a good shot in the arm to have a rested Grebs available for the playoffs. Personally I don't know how "rested" a guy gets when recovering from a major #### hit.
Wouldn't be as concerned about conditioning after a long layoff like that as I would be just being rusty...Coach Good will have Grebs working on cardio and maintaining his strength as he recovers...it's the timing that's gonna be key...

Old
03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Man, I feel so bad for the guy. He comes to Nashville, gives us a goal and an assist against his home team on his opening night, and what do we do? We injure him in the most sensitive place possible and keep him out for the rest of the season. Tsk. I really hope he gets better soon as is back in the lineup as soon as possible!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

When do we see Grebs come back. April? Basically give him 4 games to get back in shape with the team?

Old
03-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Bad Karma

Probably, I don't think he's supposed to start skating till this coming week.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I jumped on your bandwagon thinking "what a nice place" and then I saw the name Denis Grebeshkov again and I was like

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote