HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coburn contract talks

Old
03-28-2010, 08:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Coburn contract talks

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...-in-esche.html

Quote:
Coburn defers contract talks: Defenseman Braydon Coburn, who’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent July 1, received a contract offer from the Flyers but instructed his agent to decline and hold off negotiations until after the season is over.
“It was at their request,’’ Holmgren said.

As for Coburn’s play this season, Holmgren seemed to be mildly disappointed. The 25-year-old has only five goals, 18 points and was a minus-9 going into Sunday night’s game.

Coburn’s numbers have declined each of the past two seasons, going from 36 in 2007-08 to 28 last year.

“I don’t think he’s played as well as we would have anticipated,’’ Holmgren said. “And if you ask Braydon, probably not as good as he would have liked. He still logs a lot of minutes for us. I’m concerned that his production has dropped again this year.

“But I do think there are some variables here that are out of his control. Chris (Pronger) gets more power-play time now and Braydon is getting less this year. But we still consider him part of our future. We look forward to getting it (contract) done.’’

There are three other scheduled restricted free agents: Darroll Powe, Ryan Parent and Daniel Carcillo. Holmgren doesn’t feel any urgency to get anything done on any of those until after the season.
“We’ve talked on and off with Powe,’’ Holmgren said. “I don’t think we’re that far apart.

“I don’t have any problems with Ryan. He’s been out with injuries and we just wanted to see how he did when he came back. He’s restricted, I don’t think there are any worries there.’’

Holmgren said he had one talk with Carcillo’s agent but both parties decided to wait until after the season ends.
/n

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-28-2010 at 08:50 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Slowbro

vCash: 500
cheap coburn okay. coburn who pulls a biron? not okay.

power and carcillo deserve a paycheck, ryan parent deserves another shot (at not getting injured).

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:37 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Coburn doesn't have a greedy agent I dont think. His last contract was very good

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
carcillo = resign. but please dont pay out the ass for him

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:45 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
carcillo = resign. but please dont pay out the ass for him
If Carcillo gets greedy, you dish him out west.

He is making like 895k now, and as a RFA he gets atleast 105% of that I think, so like 940k.

Give him 2/3 years at 1 million

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:57 PM
BringBackStevens

I have no objections to keeping all of these guys at a reasonable cost. Coburns not so great year could help us get him at a few years on a low cost contract. I'd say he's been an OK #4 this year, which is disappointing, but at worst he is a good #5. He still has the ability to get back to where we anticipated him to be, a good #3 defensemen.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:00 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I'd offer Coburn 3 years at 1.35m per. If he wants more, I go up to maybe 1.6m max, he just isn't working out any more. Carbomb is worth probably 1m-1.2m a season. Powe, 650k... we have other players that can take his role. As for Parent, I don't have a clue. Maybe 2 years at 1.3m? If we spend more than 5m to retain those 4 guys, I'll be irritated.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
mm6492

Surprised Homer would talk about him like that during the year.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
mm6492

Coburn :: 3 Years @ 1.4M/per
Carcillo:: 2 Years @ 1M/per
Parent:: Arbitration (is he a RFA??)--give him another year

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:05 PM
mypunkrock

You keep Powe and Carcillo, both are gritty, tough guys that can agitate, have ok hands, etc.

I like Parent, but his injury history concerns me. I would not mind keeping Coburn either, but I want him to be a rabid machine, a la Tom Hanks in Celebrity Deathmatch.

Really, I could live with letting Asham, Cote, Pyorala, and Boosh go. Keep Leighton. Work from there. A bunch of guys from the A aren't being kept.

Another year under JvR's belt helps us. Same with giroux. Hopefully no one has any major injuries like last year, where half the team had separated shoulders and bad hips.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
You keep Powe and Carcillo, both are gritty, tough guys that can agitate, have ok hands, etc.

I like Parent, but his injury history concerns me. I would not mind keeping Coburn either, but I want him to be a rabid machine, a la Tom Hanks in Celebrity Deathmatch.

Really, I could live with letting Asham, Cote, Pyorala, and Boosh go. Keep Leighton. Work from there. A bunch of guys from the A aren't being kept.

Regards,
Rick
I liked Pyorala's game . He probably won't get another shot with Philly, but I would like to see him stick in the NHL somewhere, he has a decent all-purpose game. Asham is a good player but doesn't bring anything irreplaceable I don't think.

Mostly though, I am just wondering how a machine gets rabies?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Coburn :: 3 Years @ 1.4M/per
Carcillo:: 2 Years @ 1M/per
Parent:: Arbitration (is he a RFA??)--give him another year
I like this. But I'd like to see Carcillo get a longer deal. He seems to like Philly and I don't think he'll ever get more than $1 mil. I wouldn't have a prob giving him like a four or five year deal at $1 mil.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
If Carcillo is going to be last, I hope he's not expecting more than $1M, and that may be generous. He may be arbitration eligible, is he not?

He says they're not far apart with Powe, that's good for Powe

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
i never thought i would be so eager to keep carcillo. amusing

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Garbage Goal

I wouldn't mind keeping all of those guys as long as we don't over-pay. I could honestly care less whether Parent stays or goes to be honest though. Don't have high hopes for him at this point.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
im fine with a 1.5-1.75 million dollar deal.
I wonder if Holmgren is capable of negotiating. Is Coburn arbritration eligible? I dont remember.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:22 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Or - do we hold off on the Coburn talks till after July 1? See if perhaps we get a draft day deal with him.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Flyers93

I want Carcillo and Powe back, and Coburn as long as it's at a reasonable price.

Parent I'm not sure about, I want the guy to succeed in Philly but I don't know if its gonna pan out or now.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM
SolidSnakeUS

No more than 1.4 million. He's not worth more than that. Carcillo should be re-signed definitely, not sure for how much, but definitely a player for the Flyers' future.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I just love the quotes from the article:

“I don’t think he’s played as well as we would have anticipated,’’ Holmgren said. “And if you ask Braydon, probably not as good as he would have liked. He still logs a lot of minutes for us. I’m concerned that his production has dropped again this year.

“But I do think there are some variables here that are out of his control. Chris (Pronger) gets more power-play time now and Braydon is getting less this year. But we still consider him part of our future. We look forward to getting it (contract) done.’’

What Coburn has Holmgren been watching? Coburn has been absolutely atrocious. Some variables that are out of his control? Please. Maybe if Coburn played up to his ability, there wouldn't be any variable question. The guy has flat out stunk and he's stunk for two years. I hope he turns down the Flyers contract so they can ship his sorry ass to someone else and let him be their problem. An absolute 6'5 waste. Not even Therrien was as bad as Coburn has been.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:21 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I just love the quotes from the article:

What Coburn has Holmgren been watching? Coburn has been absolutely atrocious. Some variables that are out of his control? Please. Maybe if Coburn played up to his ability, there wouldn't be any variable question. The guy has flat out stunk and he's stunk for two years. I hope he turns down the Flyers contract so they can ship his sorry ass to someone else and let him be their problem. An absolute 6'5 waste. Not even Therrien was as bad as Coburn has been.
I was going to say something, but this post should be the end-all.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:31 AM
L-train*

To be fair, if you watch him in person, it's difficult to not fall in love with the way the man takes the puck up the ice. His skating is so fluid, he's probably top five on D-men I've ever seen in person.

However, he's been horrible at just about every other aspect of being a D-man.

Old
03-29-2010, 01:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
He just isnt that good on either side of the puck. His hockey IQ isnt very high and he is very fragile mentally.
He is a kid with all the tools, but he just doesnt have it above the shoulders. It would not shock me if he is traded at the draft.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:40 AM
L-train*

He'll put it together someday, but that probably won't be here, and it probably won't be for another 3-4 years, minimum.

Old
03-29-2010, 01:51 AM
IrishSniper87

apparently Coburn is not pleased with the latest Homer offer.

I saw it in my twitter stream and I will update it later, but I'm tired and going to bed.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote