HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to expect at first pick up game?

Old
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
No matter what happens, skate hard. Even if you're terrible no one will really care if it at least looks like you are trying. If you float around out there people won't like you, won't help you, and won't pass to you.

Also, the skill of pickup games can vary a lot. It might be worth it to watch a game or two before you play to see if there are other players of your skill level.
Yeah this is exactly it, when you go out, give it your all, don't get mad, and don't mope around the ice, or just stand there.

Skate hard and change often.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:34 AM
drorange14

One thing I haven't seen on here that I think is really important is to play your position to the best of your ability. It may take some time to realize where you're supposed to be on the ice, but nothing is worse than someone who is just skating around with no clue where they are supposed to be. Once you make some friends (or if you bring some with you), I'm sure they'd have no problem explaining some of the basics to you.

That being said, I would stick to playing forward, specifically as a winger if you're starting out. Any mistakes you make as a winger are a lot less noticeable than mistakes you make on defence.

drorange14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I recently had my first pickup session with no clue going in.

I skated as hard as I could, forechecked and backchecked. Passed it when I could. Kept it simple. Only took shots when they were available. I changed as soon as I couldn't go 110 MPH and fell a few times (it was my 2nd time in skates and full gear, stopping was an issue). I scored twice on one-timers near the net. I'd say most were better than me but I cannot wait to go back to show how I've progressed after my last skate n puck (so many things make more sense).

In the end, it's all about getting better.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorange14 View Post
One thing I haven't seen on here that I think is really important is to play your position to the best of your ability. It may take some time to realize where you're supposed to be on the ice, but nothing is worse than someone who is just skating around with no clue where they are supposed to be. Once you make some friends (or if you bring some with you), I'm sure they'd have no problem explaining some of the basics to you.

That being said, I would stick to playing forward, specifically as a winger if you're starting out. Any mistakes you make as a winger are a lot less noticeable than mistakes you make on defence.
I made the mistake of thinking, "well, i don't really know where to be in the o zone, so i'll play d. I might as well have a hospital bed with them amount of times I was burnt by a better player. Though, I did make some nice poke checks or quick skate stops after a while.

I suggest playing everything and figure it out as you go.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:44 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Superb stickhandling practice video:I'm not sure what type of ball/puck to use in the park though, which in NY are rough concrete.

Any suggestions?
Try the green bicuit. This thing is supposed to work great on almost any surface. I have one and have used it for stick handling pratice on my hardwood floors and it slides almost as nice as a real puck on ice. In the demo they show it sliding in a parking lot.

http://www.greenbiscuit.com/

Also I can I say that HockeyFan68 does a great job of helping people out on this site. I know when I come into one of these threads I will see him here either handing out tips or just telling people to keep their heads up.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
PanniniClaus

I usually like to get the gloves off early in a pickup game - and then concentrate on the hockey part. Two fights in one pickup game usually means you will not be asked back.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote