HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Hal Gill stop fighting!

Old
03-28-2010, 04:20 PM
JBIZ14

vCash: 500

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:44 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
I was referring to macavoy.
I'm not defending Gill, I am saying Gill SUCKS at fighting and doesn't have an advantage against fighters. I'm saying any fighter in the league is better than Gill at fighting.

You need to learn to read if you think otherwise.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm not defending Gill, I am saying Gill SUCKS at fighting and doesn't have an advantage against fighters. I'm saying any fighter in the league is better than Gill at fighting.

You need to learn to read if you think otherwise.
Well he does have an advantage...

6 ft 1in vs. 6 ft 7in.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Well he does have an advantage...

6 ft 1in vs. 6 ft 7in.

Yes but the skill advantage of all the fighters greatly outweigh his height advantage. If you did a poll of

Gill vs Brashear, everyone would vote for Brashear because of his obvious skill advantage.

Height isn't really that much of an advantage when you factor in skill levels. Do you honestly think Gill has an overall advantage in a fight vs Brashear?

Old
03-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
We're talking about two MEN fighting though. Your point doesn't make a lot of sense. And yes if I fight a guy 6-7 inches shorter than me I would think I have the advantage, of course it doesn't mean I will win, but the advantage is clear
Thats not true at all. Laraque is smaller then a lot of guys he fights but he beats the crap out of everyone. Domi was smaller then most guys. Look at the UFC, the UFC is proof that big doesn't mean win or advantage. Big can be used as a disadvantage. Fighters are good because they know how to fight, fighters are good because they have a fighting spirit. There are many factors that influences who has the advantage in a fight, many factors that are much more important then how tall a person is.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Yea they do but what if a guy like Cammellari becomes a victim of an open ice hit?

Once the teams play again, who will stick up for him? Gill, i think not.

Maybe a healthy scratch would be reasonable for Laraque.
If Cammalleri becomes a victim of a big hit, what would it matter that a guy gets beat up for it? The team is boned anyways.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post

The best pound for pound fighter in the league vs. the worst pound for pound fighter. This further proves that Gill, despite his height, isn't a good fighter even against someone who's listed at 5''11 190.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Ok, I will use two men this time.

Are you saying that Antawn Jamison who is 6'9 in the NBA would have an advantage over George St Pierre who is 5'10?

My point is, your assuming that because someone is tall, they can fight. Its untrue. My point that strength and fighting abilities are far more important than height when it comes to fighting.
A one foot difference in height is what I would call an advantage. In St. Pierre's case, he is an UFC champion. His sole purpose is to be a street fighter and he's basically a kick boxer. If you would make an exception to a guy 5'10" beating a gu a foot taller than him, then he would be your guy. Or another good example would have been a prime Mike Tyson.

Also Lennox Lewis was 6'5". No doubt in my mind after watching him box the distinct advantage he had was his height and reach.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Well, now I know who the muffin man is. His name is Hal Gill.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
If Gill knows he cant fight anyone, why does he continue?

Because hes not a *****?
He fought twice this year its not like if he was looking for it
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
By the way here's the Gill v. Chara fight from several years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrX-...eature=related

Even the announcer mentions that Gill is a giant but "not a good fighter". Funny how he says at the end "Chara tunes him in"

Okay fine maybe I'm picking on poor Hal a little bit...........
Gill had to fight Chara in that instance, because no one else on Boston could.

How does being 6'7 automatically make you a good fighter ? Like, all of you say"he sucks for his height" Well, yeah. Just because he's 6,7 250 doesn't mean he's a beast.

Boris Valabik sucks at fighting too.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
macavoy

Quote:
A one foot difference in height is what I would call an advantage. In St. Pierre's case, he is an UFC champion. His sole purpose is to be a street fighter and he's basically a kick boxer. If you would make an exception to a guy 5'10" beating a gu a foot taller than him, then he would be your guy. Or another good example would have been a prime Mike Tyson.

Also Lennox Lewis was 6'5". No doubt in my mind after watching him box the distinct advantage he had was his height and reach.

If Hal Gill was fighting Rypien, would you bet on Gill winning because of his height advantage?

I'd be willing to bet that Hal Gill has no advantage in his next 3 fights. I'm willing to be he loses more than he wins in his next 3 fights. I'd bet an avatar for a year, are you willing to back up your claim that height is that much of an advantage.

Old
03-29-2010, 01:50 PM
swede84

Gill is so not a mobile big guy. I would take Chara over Gill all day long. After watching the Gill vs Chara fight, I had to edit my post just to emphasize how glad I am we don't have Gill anymore Just what every team wants : a defenseman that is flatfooted and moves awkwardly and can't play physical and fight. Move over Ovechkin, Gill's taking the Hart trophy this year

Last edited by swede84: 03-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
swede84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Some of the toughest guys I know are little. I am a big dude, and even I admit - the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Big guys can strut their stuff and intimidate people, and seldom have to back it up. Little guys constantly have to prove themselves and actually have to mix it up.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Yea they do but what if a guy like Cammellari becomes a victim of an open ice hit?

Once the teams play again, who will stick up for him? Gill, i think not.
Laraque would skate up to whoever leveled Cammalleri and politely ask him to fight. The guy would say no, and then Laraque would skate away and get a delay of game penalty or something equally stupid.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
He's fought two times this year, this thread is fail.

Saying a guy his size should never lose a fight is like saying Tim Sylvia should never lose a fight in MMA, just because he's big doesn't mean he's a good fighter.
Exactly, you would think by now people would realize just because your big, height wise or poundage wise that it doesn't equate to being a good fighter. Yes, it can be an advantage but your size has nothing to do with how well you can throw down with somebody. You know what they say "The bigger they are, the harder they fall " and I honestly believe that in a lot of incidents.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I'm 5'11 190lbs. When I was sparring in me first Karate class, a kid that couldn't be taller than 5'4'' who was a brown belt beat me 2-1. My first point was from using my kicking reach. He then knew that's my only chance and used his skill and speed to get to the inside and took that away then easily won.

I'm sure if Gill fought an unexperienced fighter he'd win by using his reach advantage. In fact, I'm sure there are examples of that. However when a skilled fighter takes that away, he isn't good enough to overcome it. That's why guys like Clarkson and Rypien win a lot of fights. They know how to take themselves out of disadvantageous situation.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
That is a horrible, horrible comparison. A man fighting a woman is completely different from two grown men fighting.

Again, horrible comparison. MMA fighters are separated into weight classes to neutralize size advantages, not to mention these people go through rigorous training and it involves fighting on the floor as well, where body-locks can be used against people who are bigger.

Fighting on ice is different, a guy with Hal Gill's size should at least have won a fight or two in his career; I'm not even sure Gill has won a fight before, I think he's had a couple of draws with the rest of his fights being losses. With that size and reach he should be able to do something at least.
it is a bad comparison, but i actually think Gionta would get his butt handed to him. hahaha

and as for MMA and Tim Sylvia comparison.. I'm sure he would manhandle Hal Gill and David Clarkson. why? he's trained to fight. no matter how bad he actually is at it, HAL GILL IS WORSE.
my grama could fight better then him probably.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Roamin

I think I might be baised tho.
I think Hal Gill should be in the AHL honestly.
he sucks at fighting, hockey and defense.

Old
03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede84 View Post
Gill is so not a mobile big guy. I would take Chara over Gill all day long. After watching the Gill vs Chara fight, I had to edit my post just to emphasize how glad I am we don't have Gill anymore Just what every team wants : a defenseman that is flatfooted and moves awkwardly and can't play physical and fight. Move over Ovechkin, Gill's taking the Hart trophy this year
I know it's not the main subject of this thread, but I just wan't to point out that Hal Gill have been nothing short of superb for us. Slow start, but he have been rock solid since then.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
I think I might be baised tho.
I think Hal Gill should be in the AHL honestly.
he sucks at fighting, hockey and defense.
Gill and his penalty killing ability is outstanding.

Though, you're right. Hal Gill sucks so much defensively it's not even funny. I mean, if Pittsburgh didn't have him on the ice in the final minutes with a 2-1 lead, they might have won the cup.

Oh wait...

Old
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Roamin

Quote:
If Hal Gill was fighting Rypien, would you bet on Gill winning because of his height advantage?

I'd be willing to bet that Hal Gill has no advantage in his next 3 fights. I'm willing to be he loses more than he wins in his next 3 fights. I'd bet an avatar for a year, are you willing to back up your claim that height is that much of an advantage.
height is considered an advantage for fighting.
mainly due to longer limbs if you have more height.
all of this is assumed that both fighters are of equal skill. thus, the one with longer limbs would have an advantage.

whoever brought up Tim Sylvia in MMA. use him as an example. he sucks. but he won fight and was champ since he was just a lot taller then most and had longer reach.

Last edited by Roamin: 03-29-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old
03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Gill and his penalty killing ability is outstanding.

Though, you're right. Hal Gill sucks so much defensively it's not even funny. I mean, if Pittsburgh didn't have him on the ice in the final minutes with a 2-1 lead, they might have won the cup.

Oh wait...
sorry, you're right.
he makes a great big pylon infront of the net.

Old
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
ok now thats sad... 6"7 245 vs 5"11 prob 180 ish.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
sorry, you're right.
he makes a great big pylon infront of the net.
He lays down on the ice, you can't pass across and pucks hit him, so he's doing his job effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
ok now thats sad... 6"7 245 vs 5"11 prob 180 ish.
Rick Rypien is a great fighter.

D'agostini isn't and did a pretty good job against 6'7 252 lbs Brian Boyle.

I bet Hal Gill could kick his ass. And Hal Gill has less fighting ability than he has offensive awareness.