HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in hunt for Zuccarello-Aasen (Toronto Star: Signs with NYR?)

Old
03-27-2010, 01:04 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
See, this is the move Sather should be trying to make. Sure he's diminutive and undersized, but from the little I've seen of him in the olympics... this is not Petr Prucha part 2, and it definitely isn't Ambuhl or Jamtin v2. Neither of those guys have the talent or the smarts to compare to MZA. It's just an issue of size, and whether he'll be able to overcome that with his skating. At best I think he turns into a Brian Gionta with better smarts. The possibility for him to turn into a Patrick Kane is there, but I think it's very unlikely.

As for the point that Squishy made, neither of those guys were talented enough to break through. Pikkarainen and Denisov were hindered by the two overpaid *******s on the backline in Rozsival and Redden, and was behind Sanguinetti and Del Zotto in the organizational depth chart, and I'm not even sure that they would have been NHL level talent anyway. Ambuhl and Jamtin were brought over for depth, with the outside possibility of playing for the Rangers. Those signings never showed the promise of a the signing of a player like MZA.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
This year's Fabian Brunnstrom ? There's a reason nobody's picked up these guys in their
twenties
; major flaws in their game. Although he could have been overlooked because of his size.
Thats not always negative.

Like where are you most likely to for 20 bucks find a extremely expensive painting -- at Sothebys or some garage sale of some old dead ladys estate?

You won't be able to find a bargain from a place that everyone is looking at.

Like odds aren't big that a great kid will go unnoticed in the CHL. But how about the norwegian league? Norwegian and small -- could that be enough?

I definitely believe that this kid will become a player. I think the question is how good he will become. Like will he become a solid 40-50 pts 2nd-3rd line winger? Like a Dawes/Prucha type? Its not impossible to rule that out, that he will not become a great player. It could even be whats probable. But, even if that, its not like we have a bunch of talented or small players. We have none of them. So it wouldn't hurt if we had just got a Claude Giroux type of player. Because thats what I think MZA will be at the worst.

Then, on top of that, this kid have a lot more potential. Time will have to tell what that will amount to, but it could become something special. There is something special about this kid for sure.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:53 PM
UAGoalieGuy

How old is he ?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
As for the point that Squishy made, neither of those guys were talented enough to break through. Pikkarainen and Denisov were hindered by the two overpaid *******s on the backline in Rozsival and Redden, and was behind Sanguinetti and Del Zotto in the organizational depth chart, and I'm not even sure that they would have been NHL level talent anyway. Ambuhl and Jamtin were brought over for depth, with the outside possibility of playing for the Rangers. Those signings never showed the promise of a the signing of a player like MZA.
Compare a hockey team to a lawfirm. You have co-owners and you have plain workers.

Often they are charging the clients for the same jobs. If they are doing a due diligence, evaluating a contract can be done by a kid right out of college or a co-owner. The difference is that a co-owner can get clients for the law firm. He can put the contract to evaluate at the table in front of the kid.

A hockey team is also like that. If you have a structure, you can plug "holes" on it with guys who only are good in specific areas.

Its kind of the same with guys like Heikkinen, Ambuhl or Jämtin. If you can give them something to do, they could have done it. If a team like NJD signs a Johnny Oduya, they can give him something to do.

Like I think some are missing the point in this aspects. They look at a kid like Ambuhl and goes -- "hm he isn't even great in the AHL and people said he might be able to play on a lower line in the NHL". Well I am sure he could. If you had a role on like a 3rd or 4th line where his job was just to come in and provide some speed. Like plug him into Eaves position in for the Red Wings and I am sure he would look better then 90% of the players in the AHL would do in the same role. The thing is though -- if you don't have work for him he can't do it all by himself.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
How old is he ?
22, 23 in September.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
NYRangers77

This guy was very entertaining to watch and seemed very skilled and strong on his skates. Wont hurt im sure hell sign cheap, nothing to lose.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:28 PM
IG88

Low risk/High reward! How do you not make this happen if possible?

Kid looks great to me! Maybe with the new head shot rule at least we woudn't have to worry about him actually being killed repeatedly. Hell, some players may be worried about hitting him all together, being the Lil' fella he is! He looks scrappy though, which would be required for survival.

Look at it this way, how big was Theo? 5'6"? He had a great career for many seasons when the game was a lot more dangerous for little guys than it is now.

Plus, he sounded stoked to hear from Sather!

I hope this happens!

Therefore, it will not.

Sorry.

IG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:35 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

This guy is GOOD!!! I have been watching this kid for years. He was ripping it up in the mens league over here at age 18 and 19. His size might or might not be an issue at the NHL level. It certainly hasn't been an issue for him in any league he has played in so far in his carreer. I really hope the Rangers will give this kid a chance. He is an awesome hockey player. He certainly has the skill to play in the NHL. The only questionmark is his size.
His name is pronouced Oh-sen. Almost like awesome

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
XLJ

I remember watching him play in the olympics he played well. Your signing him to an entry level contract I think it is worth a shot.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
NYRMatt

This kid is my favorite non-NHL hockey player besides Jaromir Jagr. This kid is gold... and I would love to see that super awesome name on the back of a Ranger jersey.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:39 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I would be royally pissed if we don't land this kid, and I mean absolutely pissed. His desire, heart, and passion for the game is remarkable and evident after every goal he scores. His efforts are nothing to frown upon. Those assets will minimize most if not all of the questions about his size and playing in the NHL. FRICKEN GET IT DONE DAMN IT!

Edit: I see a lot of Ray Whitney in him too.

Last edited by hpNYR: 03-29-2010 at 12:52 AM.
hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:22 AM
gravytrain6t

Maybe Lundqvist can give him a grand tour of the city that never sleeps!! Who knows. That could be all it takes right now along with a reasonable contract (of course I'm just taking people's word on how good he really is).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Jim Morrison

http://tv.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?c...id=40218621953

Look at this video. He's not soft. He's fast. He knows how to score, even if it's lurking up rebounds or picking corners. He's good defensively. He looks a bit like Marty St. Louis to me. Look at this video of St. Louis highlights and you can see the similarities, same type of quickness and knowing how to score. Using his small frame to his advantage and sick hands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BCB9_Je88

And no, i'm not saying he'll be as good as MSL.

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:28 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I would be royally pissed if we don't land this kid, and I mean absolutely pissed. His desire, heart, and passion for the game is remarkable and evident after every goal he scores. His efforts are nothing to frown upon. Those assets will minimize most if not all of the questions about his size and playing in the NHL. FRICKEN GET IT DONE DAMN IT!

Edit: I see a lot of Ray Whitney in him too.
half Swedish, and half Sicilian? Odd.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:47 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
half Swedish, and half Sicilian? Odd.
I'm half Irish and half Sicilian...and I thought that was weird...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:23 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Look at some of his lines plays.

Zuccarello, Skröder and Sundström

Name pronunciation is in this video:

Quick question. It looks like he's had Zuccarello Aasen on his back, but on Modo he only has Zuccarello on the back of his jersey.

When he is a Ranger will he only do Zuccarello? Only do Aasen? or do both together on the back of his jersey? Anyone know?

Last edited by hpNYR: 03-29-2010 at 04:31 AM.
hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:15 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Just some food for thought:

A couple years ago teams were drooling over getting a shot at Brunnstrom. The year before he came over he had the following stats in the same league:
54GP 9G 28A 37P

Zuccarello-Aasen, at the same age, in the same league had the following stats this season:
55GP 23G 41A 64P

The guy has big-time skills. Size is the only issue and he is strong on his skates.
you should also note, his previous year (a year younger I assume) he went 12-28-40 in only 35 games. This year he scored more points than Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund combined! (edit: ah, those two only played 52 games combined but it doesn't make it any less true)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=1432

Summer of 2011 will have a good crop of UFA centers. Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Mikko Koivu, Patrice Bergeron, Tim Connelly. This summer it's like Marleau (plays wing this season?), Plekanec, Jokinen, Comrie. can you tell I'm really reaching here to make a list.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

very skilled but man he looks even smaller than i remembered. watching those youtube clips. how is this kid going to survive an 82 game NHL season. he's not nearly as thick as MSL or Fleury. he's short and thin. i cant see this kid getting anywhere near the net. i'd still sign him. why not? entry level contract only 22 years old no brainer bringing him in. just don't know how this guy is gonna make it. i hope he does because he's fun to watch just worried that he'll get killed out there and or totally change his game to survive.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
NYR Viper

Isn't he with the Rangers today? Any word?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yea he was suppose to fly in and meet with Sather today, hopefully they gave him the royal treatment.

I will go crazy if we sign him!

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Yea he was suppose to fly in and meet with Sather today, hopefully they gave him the royal treatment.

I will go crazy if we sign him!
If so, he's as good as ours.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Claxton

When can he actually be signed?

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Cherepanisimov

I logged on to the Rangers website and the season ticket banner popped up. I could only see the top half of the "newsreel" photo and I thought it was MZA. It was Corey Locke.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
I logged on to the Rangers website and the season ticket banner popped up. I could only see the top half of the "newsreel" photo and I thought it was MZA. It was Corey Locke.

If you didnt do it before me I probably would have got excited also when I went to the site thinking it was him for a quick second.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
HAPPY HOUR

What's with the gold helmet in first video?? All-Star game?? The rest of the team wears white ones.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote