HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learn to Take a Wrist Shot in Under a Minute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
  #1
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Learn to Take a Wrist Shot in Under a Minute

This video is for hof2120, you asked for a more detailed, in depth video on how to take a wrist shot. The first video I shot was 6 minutes long, but when I watched it I thought it was long winded, and dragged on way to long. I like my videos to be quick and to the point so I re-shot it and included every point in under a minute, I give to you

How to take a wrist shot in under a minute


Hope that helps

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
  #2
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Where do you recommend we practice shooting? I have a board like the one you're shooting on, only a bit smaller, and I was hoping to practice this summer. The first place I though of was a baseball diamond, but the ones around here have signs up saying no hockey. Backyard is kind of out of the question too, as is the basement. I'm now thinking of buying a heavy tarp and going to soccer fields, but do you have any other ideas?

BTW, I've seen some of your videos, they're great.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
  #3
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 11,485
vCash: 500
It seems to me like your right hand is too high, you're not able to get full use of the curve of the stick. But that all falls into preference. I don't think anyone can learn a wrist shot in a minute, then need to spend hours shooting pucks at a net to get their shot the way they want it to. Just like you probably did

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:48 PM
  #4
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Wow, thank you man. That seemed to really help, I'll have to put some of your tips to use tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks again man.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
  #5
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
It seems to me like your right hand is too high, you're not able to get full use of the curve of the stick. But that all falls into preference. I don't think anyone can learn a wrist shot in a minute, then need to spend hours shooting pucks at a net to get their shot the way they want it to. Just like you probably did
Ya,completely preference and situational... Also its just a friendly gesture for those maybe wanting a quick brief summary of the shot which is what he kinda said....good vid sure itll be helpful to many.

Wish I had a nice setup like you do Beav, especially the whole having outdoor ice. Damn South bein all hot n stuff.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
  #6
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
It seems to me like your right hand is too high, you're not able to get full use of the curve of the stick. But that all falls into preference. I don't think anyone can learn a wrist shot in a minute, then need to spend hours shooting pucks at a net to get their shot the way they want it to. Just like you probably did
Yeah hand location is a bit personal preference. For that wrist shot my hands are closer together, if I were skating in on the goalie my bottom hand would be closer to halfway down the stick.

The location of your hand depends on the type of wrist shot and where you are shooting from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I don't think anyone can learn a wrist shot in a minute, then need to spend hours shooting pucks at a net to get their shot the way they want it to. Just like you probably did
Absolutely, they can acquire the knowledge of how to do it, but in order to make a motion second nature it takes about 10 00 repetitions for your muscles to be trained. It is muscle memory, you have to program them, it is just good to program them right the first time. So learn, then practice

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
  #7
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Where do you recommend we practice shooting? I have a board like the one you're shooting on, only a bit smaller, and I was hoping to practice this summer. The first place I though of was a baseball diamond, but the ones around here have signs up saying no hockey. Backyard is kind of out of the question too, as is the basement. I'm now thinking of buying a heavy tarp and going to soccer fields, but do you have any other ideas?

BTW, I've seen some of your videos, they're great.
I have used baseball diamonds, tennis courts, school yards (after school is out) any open, public area is good. You can get old blankets from a thrift store and put them up between trees or something. All you need is something smooth and something to shoot pucks at.

Good luck!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:15 PM
  #8
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,104
vCash: 1550
Great videos guys, I subscribed =)

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
  #9
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 18,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
This video is for hof2120, you asked for a more detailed, in depth video on how to take a wrist shot. The first video I shot was 6 minutes long, but when I watched it I thought it was long winded, and dragged on way to long. I like my videos to be quick and to the point so I re-shot it and included every point in under a minute, I give to you
Not sure if you did this already, but making a video showing the difference between a snap shot and a wrist shot would be beneficial for a lot of new players.

Too many new players worry about their wrist shot, which is a slow and cumbersome way to shoot. Most pros and elite level players use snap shots, because they are faster to get off and have more velocity.

My uncle taught me the difference when I was younger and it made a dramatic improvement in my overall game, from scoring to passing.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:22 PM
  #10
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Not sure if you did this already, but making a video showing the difference between a snap shot and a wrist shot would be beneficial for a lot of new players.

Too many new players worry about their wrist shot, which is a slow and cumbersome way to shoot. Most pros and elite level players use snap shots, because they are faster to get off and have more velocity.

My uncle taught me the difference when I was younger and it made a dramatic improvement in my overall game, from scoring to passing.
I just added it to my list of articles / videos to make. The list is growing fast, I need to get some ice time! I am trying to shoot all the videos I can off ice just to keep up.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:08 AM
  #11
zbryne
Registered User
 
zbryne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
can take a pretty good wrist shot when im stationary but when i am moving forward and have to shoot forward I have a lot of trouble getting a lot behind the shot, and accuracy problems. Is there any tips for this or do I need to just practice more shooting while skating?

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
  #12
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbryne View Post
can take a pretty good wrist shot when im stationary but when i am moving forward and have to shoot forward I have a lot of trouble getting a lot behind the shot, and accuracy problems. Is there any tips for this or do I need to just practice more shooting while skating?
Try running on the spot when you practice at home. You could also try running and shooting with a ball, the dynamics would be similar.

This video might help for accuracy, I just posted it wristshot accuracy

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
  #13
zbryne
Registered User
 
zbryne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
yeah all im saying is we have practiced wrist shots where your toes are pointing completely away from the net but when im in a game and skating toward the goalie my toes are facing the goalie so i cannot shoot like i would when im standing toes facing away from him

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
  #14
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbryne View Post
yeah all im saying is we have practiced wrist shots where your toes are pointing completely away from the net but when im in a game and skating toward the goalie my toes are facing the goalie so i cannot shoot like i would when im standing toes facing away from him
I know what you mean, there are two types of wrist shots. One type you transfer your weight onto your foot closest to your stick (when you are skating towards the goalie) and the other type you transfer your weight onto the leg furthest from your stick. That is the type I show in the accuracy video, and it is actually the way you will get the most power from your shot.

When you take that type of wrist shot (like you do in practice) you should also use your legs to add power to your shot. If you push off with the leg closest to your stick, it will naturally point your other foot / leg towards where you should be shooting.

Most young players do not realize that a lot of power from your shot comes from your legs, and also your core muscles (like your abs) that is why it is important to rotate your upper body when you shoot, and also use your legs

This might all sound overwhelming and confusing at first but after learning this it will slowly come to you, just keep practicing, and try improving a little at a time.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.