HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

STH Town Hall Questions

Old
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
maybe we can bring Cechmanek back. I mean hey people seem to think he was so ****ing great and everything.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
via Eklunds twitter:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?
In all seriousness, getting Esche in here at this point would be a bit of a coup.

As per the discussion in the GDT, I'm not sure anyone we pick up would be available for the playoff roster.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-29-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Flyers wanted Esche for this season as it was.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

The scary thing is I found Homer to be crazy honest last year at Town Hall. In my group, he was asked about the goaltending situation for this season and beyond. He admitted he didn't see spending mongo bucks in the crease.
That proved to be exactly what happened.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
maybe we can bring Cechmanek back. I mean hey people seem to think he was so ****ing great and everything.
He WAS a beast during the regular season

Playoffs though....

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
infidelappel*

Holmgren, are you familiar with seppuku?

Would you mind? Your cap management is just shameful.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:47 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He WAS a beast during the regular season

Playoffs though....
Those teams really just self destructed in front of him. They got crushed by BUF and OTT in 01 and 02. I think Esche might have taken the starting job by the 03 playoffs where they did win the 1st round.

The last goalie to really cost the Flyers in the playoffs was Beezer in 99.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm going tomorrow, I plan on asking Holmgren about the Jones situation and Bobrovsky/Rynnas. If he says he doesn't know who they are (like he said about Gustavsson last year), I'll know he was lying then, so he is likely lying now.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

How do these actually go? Do season ticket holders actually ever get nasty and say rude things?

I think someone should really step up and make a point about the goal tending situation for the past 15 years. Something needs to be changed. Also, I think someone needs to bring up that our core of young players are unmotivated and will never win a championship.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm going tomorrow, I plan on asking Holmgren about the Jones situation and Bobrovsky/Rynnas. If he says he doesn't know who they are (like he said about Gustavsson last year), I'll know he was lying then, so he is likely lying now.
On that point with Jones, can you please somehow tie Knuble into it? Knuble's making 2.8 this year (Jones' salary). What a horrible ****ing move.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Take a note pad.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Haute Couturier

Ask if it is true he turned down Halak for a 2nd

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
They've been confirmed that we've had Neil Little there.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Anyone wanna go with me and my kid?
Town Hall is Monday at 5

Old
03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'd love to hear how this goes.

Where does this place take place?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

It's at the Wach. IIRC, LY had scouts, Homer, Luukko, Stevens, a locker room tour, and the head of parking.

Old
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Well, I'm back and here's some things that were discussed:

Holmgren:

Jones-I asked Holmgren if, looking back on how the move had an effect on our possible deadline moves, he would handle the situation with Jones on re-entry waivers differently, and he said he would have done nothing different. He said four teams had called him wondering what his intentions to do with Jones were(didn't go into specifics about what he said/how they reacted, but he did say that the Kings weren't one of them, so the Kings went under the Flyers' noses when claiming Jones off waivers, and he said that really pissed him off. He said they wanted Jones back with the Flyers, not to give him another chance elsewhere. He said he didn't have anything planned at the deadline that would have been halted by Jones' money being on the cap, but I don't buy that.
Goaltending-he sees this as our #1 priority in the offseason, he admitted that the Ray Emery experiment was a failure, but for reasons that he nor nobody else had anticipated. He said they were looking at free agents both overseas and NHL(mentioned Esche for a solution this season only but said he couldn't get out of his contract as was reported.)
Other weaknesses-he said the second most important thing they were looking to do besides stock up on goaltending is to get bigger up front. Said that that was one of the main motivations for the signings of Holmstrom and Testwuide, they've got size. Both Pryor and Holmgren likened Testwuide to Mike Knuble separately(they were in different stations), which tells me they realize his presence is sorely missed and Hartnell's not cutting it.
UFAs-admitted that there would be a few guys that were UFAs that wouldn't be returning to the team, I took this as guys like Asham, Emery, and a lot of the old guys on the Phantoms.
On the team's up and down play/locker room rift-said that the team frustrates the hell out of him, he doesn't know what is wrong. He thinks that there is the right blend of youngsters and veterans to keep the balance, doesn't think this is a bad group. On the topic of a rift, he said that there is no such rift, just said that Richie straight up doesn't like the media and would rather say nothing to them. At this same time, he said he has talked with him about this and told him that it needs to change, and he needs to get better. Commended Timonen/Pronger on their work in helping Richie with the media.

Luce & Pryor:

Eriksson-said that they are very happy with him, and they are going to be extremely patient with him. Said that they are more than likely going to let him play overseas for at least one more year, likely two barring an amazing performance that earns him a contract. Want him to step up to the SEL for a full year or two, and then they will likely want to bring him over. Stressed being cautious and patient. Admitted that neither he nor any of our goaltending prospects were ready to take over #1 duties for the Flyers.
Bobrovsky/Rynnas interest-alluded to the fact that they were "looking at some guys overseas, specifically goaltenders" in response to a different question I don't remember. Then I specifically asked about Bobrovsky and Rynnas, and Pryor acknowledged that they had sent scouts to look at both of them. Said that the Flyers' Russian scout thinks very highly of Bobrovsky, and confirmed that Little saw very little of Rynnas when he was over there to look at him. Said that Bobrovsky was higher on their priority list, and would be much more likely to sign with us than Rynnas.
Marshall-said that they are happy with how he has developed, they expect him to be a sort of Dany Markov type player in the future.
Trading of 1st round picks-said it was all about timing, saying that they value first round picks a great deal, but specifically in reference to the Pronger deal said that they along with Holmgren all agreed that they thought it was the right time to deal some of them to pick him up.
Lack of draft picks-didn't specifically refer to their making up for a lack of draft picks by signing undrafted FAs, but emphasized that they were looking at different guys at all positions all over Canada, the US, and Europe, so they're leaving no stone unturned, which I like.

Laviolette:

System-aggressive forechecking system, believes that any team should be able to adapt to the right system and be willing to implement it.
Fighting-a guy straight up asked him if he was against fighting, and he was sort of taken aback by the question. Said that he wasn't against fighting, but he was against undisciplined play and unnecessary fighting. He didn't approve of Gagne's retaliatory penalty against Volchenkov, despite the fact that he thought it should have been a penalty on A-Train. Said that the no more fighting thing in Carolina stemmed from the fact that they didn't have any fighters, and so it was unnecessary for them to fight, but is willing to let it happen here because we've got guys like Carcillo and Laperriere.

Luukko:

Draft/All-Star Game-said that they had put in a bid for the all star game and draft to be held here within the next 3 years, and sounded very confident that they were going to get it.
Winter Classic-said that the game was a huge success, and expects the Flyers to participate some time in the fairly near future. Acknowledged a possible game at Beaver Stadium against the Pens, and admitted that it was all about the ratings, and the Flyers draw them.
Broad Street Bullies Documentary-HBO did a documentary on the Flyers and the city of Philadelphia in the 1970s, focusing on the cup years, the Soviet game, part of the unbeaten streak. Said he was very happy with it, was very well done including interviews with a lot of the legendary guys. They're going to be holding the premiere at the Wachovia Center, and they are going to invite all season ticket holders, and are going to make a party of it. Will be on April 13th, the days between the regular season ending and playoffs.

Locker Room:

Equipment-a lot of these guys use some old ass equipment, especially shoulder pads, pants, and shin pads. Carcillo's shoulder pads as well as Coburn's were a minimum of 8 years old, I would guarantee you that. They all have different pants/girdles too, which I didn't realize. Almost all of the guys use pants except for Krajicek and Cote, they use girdles with shells, which I had no idea about. Krajicek's was some old blue one, looked really beat up. They almost all have the same Reebok elbow pads. Saw Richards' redneck rebellion hat that he always wears in post-game interviews.
Other-didn't see any liquor in anyone's locker this time, which was nice to see. I saw Gagne had some supplements, and Hartnell had an extremely odd doll in his locker where they keep their street clothes. It looked like a little black baby wearing some sort of odd green costume, I imagine someone put it there as a joke.

There was some obligatory *****ing by people about parking and how they don't think our defensemen are tough enough in front of the net, they tried to feed us Cadillac Grille memberships, and other filler stuff.

That's about all I remember, but the oddest thing was that both Laviolette and Holmgren referred to Gagne as Simon, like the way you would say Chris Simon's last name. I was in Group B for others that attended.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 03-29-2010 at 09:06 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Well, I'm back and here's some things that were discussed:

Holmgren:

Jones-I asked Holmgren if, looking back on how the move had an effect on our possible deadline moves, he would handle the situation with Jones on re-entry waivers, and he said he would have done nothing different. He said four teams had called him wondering what his intentions to do with Jones were(didn't go into specifics about what he said/how they reacted, but he did say that the Kings weren't one of them, so the Kings went under the Flyers' noses when claiming Jones off waivers, and he said that really pissed him off. He said they wanted Jones back with the Flyers, not to give him another chance elsewhere. He said he didn't have anything planned at the deadline that would have been halted by Jones' money being on the cap, but I don't buy that.
This is really scary.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Luce & Pryor:

Eriksson-said that they are very happy with him, and they are going to be extremely patient with him. Said that they are more than likely going to let him play overseas for at least one more year, likely two barring an amazing performance that earns him a contract. Want him to step up to the SEL for a full year or two, and then they will likely want to bring him over. Stressed being cautious and patient. Admitted that neither he nor any of our goaltending prospects were ready to take over #1 duties for the Flyers.
Bobrovsky/Rynnas interest-alluded to the fact that they were "looking at some guys overseas, specifically goaltenders" in response to a different question I don't remember. Then I specifically asked about Bobrovsky and Rynnas, and Pryor acknowledged that they had sent scouts to look at both of them. Said that the Flyers' Russian scout thinks very highly of Bobrovsky, and confirmed that Little saw very little of Rynnas when he was over there to look at him. Said that Bobrovsky was higher on their priority list, and would be much more likely to sign with us than Rynnas.
Marshall-said that they are happy with how he has developed, they expect him to be a sort of Dany Markov type player in the future.
Trading of 1st round picks-said it was all about timing, saying that they value first round picks a great deal, but specifically in reference to the Pronger deal said that they along with Holmgren all agreed that they thought it was the right time to deal some of them to pick him up.
Lack of draft picks-didn't specifically refer to their making up for a lack of draft picks by signing undrafted FAs, but emphasized that they were looking at different guys at all positions all over Canada, the US, and Europe, so they're leaving no stone unturned, which I like.
This was a lot more forthright than I would have expected. Nice to hear them specifically acknowledge guys they're looking at. It's also nice to hear how they're handling those goalies - they're doing it exactly how I would.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is really scary.
Homer ****ing loves that guy, lol.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Terence Peterman

Excellent report Billy. Thanks.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
This is really scary.
No, it's not scary...it's what we all said. He wanted Jones up with the team...and for some unknown reason actually thought he'd get a 1.3M cap hit D for one year through waivers.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

That's about all I remember, but the oddest thing was that both Laviolette and Holmgren referred to Gagne as Simon, like the way you would say Chris Simon's last name. I was in Group B for others that attended.
Thanks for the report!

Leino pronounced Gagne's name the same way yesterday. Maybe he prefers it to be pronounced that way now?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, it's not scary...it's what we all said. He wanted Jones up with the team...and for some unknown reason actually thought he'd get a 1.3M cap hit D for one year through waivers.
I'm referring to the fact that apparently the Kings didn't tell him they were going to claim Jones and then he got really upset at them when they did claim him because he wasn't informed.

Not like this is a competition or anything...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'm referring to the fact that apparently the Kings didn't tell him they were going to claim Jones and then he got really upset at them when they did claim him because he wasn't informed.

Not like this is a competition or anything...
Ah, I thought we were just focusing on the pure stupidity.