HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Wild - 3/29/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-30-2010, 12:10 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Good game Kings fans. Wish you guys the best of luck the rest of the season and playoffs!

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Orenji

Can we start a new trend for game threads tomorrow? The whole effort people put in is just silly when the Kings haven't really shown up in a week or two.

I recommend we just go with the King Fail Boat GDT's for now on to see if something good happens.

If the Kings don't show any effort, why should we?

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I cannot believe the vitriol I am seeing in this thread. Are you all true Kings fans or aren't you?

This team is 42-27-6, one of their best records in franchise history. So they have hit a bump in the road. Get over it, and get over yourselves. Grow the **** up, and move on.

I would bet that I have seen a hell of a lot more disappointment from this team than anyone else on this board. Unless there is someone else out there who has watched this team since GAME 1. And I do mean Game 1!

Learn to relax and enjoy the wins. They will come. This team will improve. Jesus, you can't win every day. Get over the losses, sheesh!

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
weems

Dont get too down on Quick. He looks majorily fatigued to me. He's played the most minutes of any goalie besides Brodeur. Its unfortunate that there isnt a better backup goalie to allow him to rest a few more times. Alot of the goals hes letting in look like the result of someone whos very mentally fatigued.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bernier is better, but I would argue against him being more experienced. Quick's name is now on a few franchise records. Regardless if they are team accomplishments or not, he still has had a tremendous NHL season under his belt.
Not that hard to break franchise records, given the vast amount of history of crappy goaltending this franchise has had. So while that sounds impressive, it's really not.

That being said, Quick had a solid season.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneil99 View Post
Seriously guys all we have to do is make it, anything can happen after that. Take a look, the flames next 4 games are as follows: Coyotes, Avs, Hawks and Sharks, followed by Wild and Canucks. The flames need right now 3 wins to pass us, do u see 3 wins in there? I sure don't. If the kings beat the predators tomorrow then people will lighten up a bit.
Yeah, that is why our 5 points should hold up... But who knows. The Preds just jumped 5 points on us. Our schedule is just as difficult. If Calgary gains some wins, we could have our backs against the wall in the blink of an eye. We are essentially praying that Calgary loses to teams that they should lose to now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24frolov View Post
Not that hard to break franchise records, given the vast amount of history of crappy goaltending this franchise has had. So while that sounds impressive, it's really not.

That being said, Quick had a solid season.
Perhaps, but I would bet that it wouldn't be passively ignored by management and they are still accomplishments nonetheless. Either way, Quick has been the guy this entire season. Taking it away from him or questioning him just a handful of games prior to the playoffs seems extreme. He really needs to finish this season, regardless of what Bernier does.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I cannot believe the vitriol I am seeing in this thread. Are you all true Kings fans or aren't you?

This team is 42-27-6, one of their best records in franchise history. So they have hit a bump in the road. Get over it, and get over yourselves. Grow the **** up, and move on.

I would bet that I have seen a hell of a lot more disappointment from this team than anyone else on this board. Unless there is someone else out there who has watched this team since GAME 1. And I do mean Game 1!

Learn to relax and enjoy the wins. They will come. This team will improve. Jesus, you can't win every day. Get over the losses, sheesh!
Are you really a Kings fan since 67? Because most of us have been around a long time and are fairly used to this garbage, but it still bugs the hell out of us.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
THe times Parse got scratched before they were deserved, he let his game slip. He looked good tonight, but Parse can be Scott Parse and Mr. Hyde sometimes.
I agree on the consistency issues for Parse but I don't agree with all the scratches (some are understandable). Parse is a rookie; he's going to have ups and downs. And Parse while he's down is still better than Purcell, Ivanans, Harrold, Halpern, etc. in the roles they're asked to play.

It all goes back to Murray's wonky system of accountability. Guys like Kopitar, Brown, Quick, and Doughty seem to be immune to his accountability. Now, I'm not advocating every player should be benched when their play hits the toilet but it can still be addressed with a loss of specialty time or reduced minutes. While guys like Frolov, Johnson, Parse, etc. seem to take the brunt of the accountability for the entire team. The players pick up on these things.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
i wonder if our season was over the last time we lost 4 games in a row too

it's discouraging but **** happens. freaking out and saying stuff "i'm done with this team", or something similiar, when they lose 4 games in a row during the best season any of us have had as fans in like 8 years is embarassing. i've seen some blackhawks fans say the same thing in the past few days too; it's just a really weird attitude to have.

they do need a finisher. not even kovalchuk, but just someone to bump brown down to a 3rd line role where he can focus more on being an energy guy and a crasher/banger instead of a scorer.

quick looks tired as hell. he's dropping to his knees early again and it's only a matter of time before he starts getting lit up on high shots again. not exactly inspiring confidence right now, even when he's making the saves. excited to see bernier play tomorrow (i missed his first start this season).

i still don't really understand why the 5 on 3 has ZERO tempo. they move the puck fine at 5 on 5 and even with a 1-man advantage most of the time. they look like slugs with a 2 man advantage. everyone stands still and even still the passes are slow and methodical. the whole reason 5 on 3s are so dangerous is because you have 2 open guys to pass to, yet the kings routinely take 3 or 4 seconds of standing in one place to find that man, and then he takes 3 or 4 seconds to find another guy. granted, brown has hands of stone and had 2 chances to bury a goal on the 2-minute 5-on-3, but the puck movement was still really slow and the only reason we had chances is because kopitar is really good.

and halpern being on the top line was insane, for lack of a phrase that accurately defines my irritation within the rules of hfboards. i spent 2 periods trying to figure out who the hell was playing with kopitar and smyth. after narrowing down every other line i still couldn't figure out who the **** was playing on that line. kopitar was invisible in this game but it's hard to blame him when he played with 2 guys who are limited offensively (don't get me wrong, smyth is effective at what he does, but he's not a great offensive weapon). he needs to be playing with frolov (who was also bad in this game) or simmonds or hopefully williams when he's really ready to go at top speed again.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I'm actually so disappointed, I thought we'd get the 2 points vs Minnesota tonight. It's really frustrating when you actually dedicate so much time watching your favorite team and they let you down like this. Ugh

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Orenji

Also, the Avalanche are sucking as well right now.

Right now, it's a three team race between the Kings/Avalanche/Flames.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quick needs a break. Hopefully Bernier provides that. I'd consider starting Bernier twice.

This is where Ryan Smyth and Sean O'Donnell find a way to rally the troops.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Its unfortunate that there isnt a better backup goalie to allow him to rest a few more times.
Actually there is, he was sitting on the bench tonight.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Fangio

Quote:
Agreed with everything except that. Depends on the replacement. If we are talking Kovalchuk, then see ya. But if we are talking about picking up some aging guy or throwing some rookie there and praying our offensive numbers rebound, then I disagree.
As much as I like Frolov, I just don't see Dean resigning him. Not enough impact for the money he may be worth. Unless we're talking a considerable discount. As long as Murray is behind the bench, I just don't see it working out anyway.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I would like to add this..
Remaining Flames Games:

Coyotes / Flames
Flames / Avalanche
Flames / Blackhawks
Sharks / Flames
Wild / Flames
Flames / Canucks

Don't they have a lovely schedule!

Now for us:

Kings / Predators
Canucks / Kings
Ducks /Kings
Kings /Ducks
Coyotes / Kings
Oilers / Kings
Kings / Avalanche

There really is a reason to calm down. We get 2 wins ad we clinch.. guarantee.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:19 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
As much as I like Frolov, I just don't see Dean resigning him. Not enough impact for the money he may be worth. Unless we're talking a considerable discount. As long as Murray is behind the bench, I just don't see it working out anyway.
you stole my headline

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Are you really a Kings fan since 67? Because most of us have been around a long time and are fairly used to this garbage, but it still bugs the hell out of us.
Yes, I was 9 when this team began play in 1967, and I am (almost) 52 now.

So yeah........I have seen a LOT OF DISAPPOINTMENT. One ****ing Stanley Cup appearance in 43 ****ing years. Thanks to Marty McSorely, no Stanley Cup.

The biggest disappointment of all time was 1975, when they went 42-17-21, and lost to the Leafs in a first round matchup, 2-1. Three game series.

Biggest thrill: Getting back at the Leafs, and beating them to get to the finals in 1993.

Miracle on Manchester was awesome too. Winning that series against the hated Oilers was a high point as well.

And taking Boston to seven games in 1976 ranks high there too.

The first Kings game I ever attended was in 1977, when we beat the Atlanta Flames in a playoff game. That was awesome.

Anyway, the good times have been few and far between, and the bad times have been far too common. But stand by your team for goodness sake. This team is coming. Maybe not this year, but they are definitely on their way.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

Perhaps, but I would bet that it wouldn't be passively ignored by management and they are still accomplishments nonetheless. Either way, Quick has been the guy this entire season. Taking it away from him or questioning him just a handful of games prior to the playoffs seems extreme. He really needs to finish this season, regardless of what Bernier does.
No they wouldn't ignore it, nor should they. Considering that Quick may become an asset down the line. As far as Quick finishing the season, I don't know...he seems to be breaking down at the worst possible time. And this is something I spoke about very loudly during the trading deadline, I wanted to trade for a backup or call up Bernier. Ersberg is freaking worthless.

At this point, Kings need to win games...I don't care about what's fair or what's not. We need to win and finish on a high note. If Quick's feelings are hurt over it, oh well.

Old
weems

Quote:
Actually there is, he was sitting on the bench tonight.
Ya but has he been on the bench the entire season? Wasnt Ersberg the backup for most of the regular season?

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
I would like to add this..
Remaining Flames Games:

Coyotes / Flames
Flames / Avalanche
Flames / Blackhawks
Sharks / Flames
Wild / Flames
Flames / Canucks

Don't they have a lovely schedule!

Now for us:

Kings / Predators
Canucks / Kings
Ducks /Kings
Kings /Ducks
Coyotes / Kings
Oilers / Kings
Kings / Avalanche

There really is a reason to calm down. We get 2 wins ad we clinch.. guarantee.
The Oilers are the only team I see there where we should have a considerable amount of leverage going into the game against. Other than that, we should hopefully be able to at least split the games with the Ducks. Outside of that though, I don't see a whole lot of room for success, and if the Flames win a few in a row early for whatever reason, it will go down to the wire. We should make it, but this season is far from over.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Fangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
you stole my headline
I dunno, man. I put it up this afternoon before the game!

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:23 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Ya but has he been on the bench the entire season? Wasnt Ersberg the backup for most of the regular season?
No he wasn't on the bench, he is too good to be on the bench for a full season. That said, he could have been a useful goalie down the stretch for Quick to get some rest for the playoffs.

Ersberg is worthless. He will be back in the swede leagues . Hasta La Vista Ersberg.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Don't worry, this season isn't about this season.

Everything is fine.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Someone will sign Ersberg. Or trade for him, whatever his contract status is.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
No they wouldn't ignore it, nor should they. Considering that Quick may become an asset down the line. As far as Quick finishing the season, I don't know...he seems to be breaking down at the worst possible time. And this is something I spoke about very loudly during the trading deadline, I wanted to trade for a backup or call up Bernier. Ersberg is freaking worthless.

At this point, Kings need to win games...I don't care about what's fair or what's not. We need to win and finish on a high note. If Quick's feelings are hurt over it, oh well.
I wouldn't say worthless. He has just fallen down the depth chart this season and will likely not be a part of the team next season. He isn't a terrible goaltender and can make a pretty decent backup. Bernier will get his game tomorrow, and hopefully, depending on Ersberg's condition, gets sent back down to Manchester. Believe me, I would love to see Bernier in a playoff game, but I wouldn't like to see it at the expense of benching Quick after what he has done to get here. Quick has been a big part of earning this run, it should be his to see through.