HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild to sign UMass forward Casey Wellman (Russo)

Old
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild to sign UMass forward Casey Wellman (Russo)

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/87706102.html

Two years (including this one), $900,000 cap hit and is NOT being sent down to Houston. (emphasis from Russo)

Haven't seen Wellman play, but anything that expands the prospect pool is good news in my book.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Haven't seen anyone make a jump like that for quite some time. I'm sure a lot has to do with injuries and the prospect pool in general, but this will be interesting...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Usually the players ready to make the jump are on teams which make the NCAA tourney so it's not really feasible except for a two-game ATO.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Haven't seen anyone make a jump like that for quite some time. I'm sure a lot has to do with injuries and the prospect pool in general, but this will be interesting...
Hanson played with Toronto at the end of last year. Happens often.

Wellman had a strong season. He's a sophomore, but he's 22, a senior's age. Gillies 21, Almond is 20, those were our 2 best forward prospects(don't know much about Wellman but I'd certainly put him in that class with his production, assuming his 185 lb listing on his UMass website is right and not hockeydb), so his age warrant him a chance over either one IMO.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Wouldn't say college free agents going directly to the NHL that season happens too often - it's the exception rather than the rule.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Wellman is #7

30 sec in - goal

15 sec through 1 min - hat trick

Not a whole lot to look at but I was bored so I looked him up on youtube.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Looking at the second one, I really hope they didn't show that game on television because those are some weird camera angles.

Old
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Was pretty impressive at prospect camp with the Predators this past summer. Left me with a positive impression each day and the coaching staff had good things to say about him too. Good speed and hockey sense were what really stood out with me...

Here's a quick article from the summer with some background and quotes...

http://www.examiner.com/x-8246-Nashv...redators-radar

I was really hoping the Preds would add him to the organization, but clearly he wasn't going to get the same opportunity to play right away as he is getting in Minnesota. I'm excited to see how he integrates into the NHL making the jump straight from the NCAA...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

More about Wellman from a friend who follows Hockey East:

Quote:
I only saw him play once against PC but he was pretty damn impressive. I actually looked back at the stats because I remember him playing a dynamite game when I saw him and I was right, he put up 4 assists. He definitely had some great vision, especially for a freshman. In my eyes if it wasn't for Kieran Milan he could have easily been rookie of the year in Hockey East last season. And looking at his stats from this season he definitely did not suffer from any sophomore slump.

Old
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'd say screw it, and throw this kid inbetween Latendresse and Havlat for a the first few games.

I mean if you're going throw a kid like this into the fire immediately, give him a chance to succeed, play over his head, and gain some confidence. It's not exactly like the Wild have any stronger suitors to play in that position with Ebbett, Brodziak, and Sheppard all in the mix. If this kid does have a shot and a bit of speed like advertised, he'd fit in well with Havlat's perimeter play and Latendresse grit.

It seems to me that bringing in a player like this and throwing him on the talentless bottom lines isn't going to do anything for him.

Last edited by this providence: 03-15-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Here's some more quick write ups from a thread I created looking for some opinions from people who have seen him:

Quote:
Good size and decent speed, but I look at him and think he's more quick than fast; he's a fine skater, but lacks that separation gear you look for. Elusive; uses his agility to turn defenders and gain inside position for quality scoring chances. Excellent athlete with the bloodlines to be an effective pro (dad played MLB). Superb vision and soft hands- one of those guys who finds loose pucks in traffic in close and has buried his chances this season. Very good shot- nice release and he generates good power on it. Could stand to work on accuracy. Gets open a lot for one-timers and seems to have a real feel for the offensive flow of the game. Not all that great defensively- will need to work on his awareness in the neutral and defensive zones when he reaches the pros.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=750677

Quote:
He's a good, solid skater, but I don't see high-end speed from him. He's like a hockey version of Wes Welker in that he's more quick and elusive than fast. Terrific shooter, though- quick release on a hard shot. And he's got the hockey sense to get open and exploit defenses. Will need to work on overall game at next level, but could be a gem in time for whomever gets him.
http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot...k-at-some.html

Old
03-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Why not - adds depth without costing anything in return.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
mnwildgophers

Think this is a great signing, not having seen him I'm not sure if he's good or not, but if 22 teams expressed interest in him, this is great.

I agree, throw him in between Lats and Havlat, what's the worst that can happen? You might as well and see what the kid's got. Happy to see Fletch making these moves.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Bookman

Latendresse is in fact only 5 months older than Wellman. Why not indeed.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:25 AM
BigT2002

From Russo:

Quote:
The Wild wasn't allowed to do anything to sweeten the pot financially to sign Casey Wellman. Nearly two dozen teams pursued the UMass sophomore sniper, and like all the finalists, the Wild offered the rookie maximum salary of $900,000.

So the Wild went into full recruitment mode and separated itself from five others. According to Casey's father, Brad Wellman, it came down to Minnesota, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Nashville, San Jose and Columbus.

So why Minnesota, besides the obvious opportunity at center?

"Chuck Fletcher," Brad Wellman, a former major league infielder, said. "When the GM shows up, it's a little different than someone's head scout. I know being in the sports world, when the GM shows up -- he's a very busy guy -- that means he's very interested. That sealed the deal for us."

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
that could have been wellman scoring the first goal of yesterdays game instead of Ebbet haha

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:31 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
that could have been wellman scoring the first goal of yesterdays game instead of Ebbet haha
Not gonna lie, his mom is pretty damn hot

Old
03-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Not gonna lie, his mom is pretty damn hot
As featured on the kiss cam the other night?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,228609

Old
03-20-2010, 03:11 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Great NHL debut by Casey - here's hoping for many more like that!

Old
03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Umass student and Bruin Fan here

Hey guys, i go to umass and have had the pleasure of watching Casey Wellman play for two years now, i even had a class with him last year and talked to him a bit, he's a great kid and an even better hockey player.

He's fast, a great shot, and has good hockey sense.

Expect good if not great things as he plays for the Wild. Umass will miss him, congrats Wellman!

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFan98 View Post
Hey guys, i go to umass and have had the pleasure of watching Casey Wellman play for two years now, i even had a class with him last year and talked to him a bit, he's a great kid and an even better hockey player.

He's fast, a great shot, and has good hockey sense.

Expect good if not great things as he plays for the Wild. Umass will miss him, congrats Wellman!
Thanks Loudfan! We've seen a few of those attributes already and hope to see Wellman develop as a member of the Wild.

Old
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Jbcraig1883

I've been very impressed with Wellman thus far. You can tell he needs to get stronger as he appears very weak along the boards. With that said, he has speed, hands and a great shot.

It would be great to see him bulk up a little bit and learn some defensive coverage because he would be great with Havlat and Latendresse. If not, he may fit with Brunette and Koivu, as long as they are doing a majority of the cycling.

Anywho, I am very impressed with this kid and give CF a lot of credit for obtaining him.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Wellman's Welcome Moments

Quote:
But he did participate in pregame warmups, wearing his new number – 17.

“Honestly, I didn’t even know it was 17. My girlfriend actually told me I was number 17 before I even knew. I think what happened was when I was going to UMass I asked if I could have number 70 and the equipment guy there said, ‘How about we give you number 7 and you can pretend there’s a zero.’ And I think when I was coming here, he emailed them and said I like number 70. They weren’t going to give me 70, but they wanted to give me something with a 7 in it, so I got 17.”

Old
03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
BigT2002

I thought it was his age.....