HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could we trade Giguere to Chi?

Old
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
dionysios*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
I could see Giggy being moved at NEXT years trade deadline, if Jonas is playing well (which I expect).
Giggy will stay for the playoffs. He's the best mentor in the league and his role as a backup is perfect, but Gus still has to prove he's capable of number 1 duties. Plus the return for Gus would be of very low value.

Like another poster stated, I would be very confident heading into the playoffs with Jiggy than Jiggy-less.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
phillipmike

There are only two periods where Burke will trade Giguere; in the off-season and at the deadline.

1. If the Leafs are out of a playoff race then he will move Giguere at the deadline for long-term players or the highest picks possible.

2. If Burke feels that he has a good deal for Giguere in the off-season i am sure that he will treat the situation as if Giguere had a no trade clause. Burke will approach JS and ask him if he wants to be traded. Reason being is Burke knows that Giguere's son needs to be near a reputable hospital and because of the Burke and Giggy's relationship, Burke will only move Giguere if he wants to move another team. The only why this works in the off-season is because it will give Giguere ample time to settle in his new city and research hospitals in the area. It also gives Burke more options to find a back up.

I think Philly would be a good fit. Giguere would be the undisputed starter, Philly would get a stanley cup winning goalie and Philadelphia has one of the best Children's hopitals in North America (The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia).

Of course the Leafs would have to take some salary back and i would have my eye on Gagne.

To Toronto:
LW Simon Gagne (5.25M) - 2011
D Phil Oreskovic

To Philadelphia:
G JS Giguere (6M) - 2011

Not sure if thats something Philly wants to do but I think the rumors of Gagne for Thomas wouldnt be a great investment for them in the long run. Giguere would provide them with experience and the ability to start along with flexibility of coming of the books at the end of the season.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
There are only two periods where Burke will trade Giguere; in the off-season and at the deadline.

1. If the Leafs are out of a playoff race then he will move Giguere at the deadline for long-term players or the highest picks possible.

2. If Burke feels that he has a good deal for Giguere in the off-season i am sure that he will treat the situation as if Giguere had a no trade clause. Burke will approach JS and ask him if he wants to be traded. Reason being is Burke knows that Giguere's son needs to be near a reputable hospital and because of the Burke and Giggy's relationship, Burke will only move Giguere if he wants to move another team. The only why this works in the off-season is because it will give Giguere ample time to settle in his new city and research hospitals in the area. It also gives Burke more options to find a back up.

I think Philly would be a good fit. Giguere would be the undisputed starter, Philly would get a stanley cup winning goalie and Philadelphia has one of the best Children's hopitals in North America (The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia).

Of course the Leafs would have to take some salary back and i would have my eye on Gagne.

To Toronto:
LW Simon Gagne (5.25M) - 2011
D Phil Oreskovic

To Philadelphia:
G JS Giguere (6M) - 2011

Not sure if thats something Philly wants to do but I think the rumors of Gagne for Thomas wouldnt be a great investment for them in the long run. Giguere would provide them with experience and the ability to start along with flexibility of coming of the books at the end of the season.
Isn't Phil Oreskovic already Leafs property and playing for the Marlies?

Or, is there two D with the same name playing on different teams?

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Tim Thomas would probably be a better choice for them.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Chicago doesn't have the cap space.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:53 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13goleafsgo13 View Post
i really think we should trade giggy, we need that cap space and let gusty carry the team next season

Agreed...He should never have been acquired...with all the Toskala hate on this board...the Leafs should have rode out his contract and let him walk...freeing up cap space and allowing them alot more flexibility. Who in god's name wants Giguere at the price he is getting paid? NOBODY.

I don't understand this Burke trade...was Blake that bad that he had to unload him to take on this monster contract of a former MVP? Its not like this season mattered anyway...Giguere is not a goalie of the future IMO...so I dont get it. I think the Leafs are stuck with him until his contract expires. But then again we thought that about Blake, Toskala...so I guess anything can happen.

Also...there is WAY too much lip service paid to this "mentor" to Gustavsson stuff....Thats why they have the goalie coach....

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
mooseOAK*

Burke isn't going to care about the cap hit if he gets the goaltending that he needs which he has had since Giguere showed up.

This notion that cap space is of the utmost importance is prevalent but not correct.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
sgupca

Why not, its not like they don't have cap problems already lol

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Agreed...He should never have been acquired...with all the Toskala hate on this board...the Leafs should have rode out his contract and let him walk...freeing up cap space and allowing them alot more flexibility. Who in god's name wants Giguere at the price he is getting paid? NOBODY.

I don't understand this Burke trade...was Blake that bad that he had to unload him to take on this monster contract of a former MVP? Its not like this season mattered anyway...Giguere is not a goalie of the future IMO...so I dont get it. I think the Leafs are stuck with him until his contract expires. But then again we thought that about Blake, Toskala...so I guess anything can happen.

Also...there is WAY too much lip service paid to this "mentor" to Gustavsson stuff....Thats why they have the goalie coach....
I don't like the size of Giguere's contract but it meant being free from Blake's salary one year earlier. Given this is a prety weak UFA market while next year COULD have some real gems, this move is fine.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:09 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post

Whether or not JSG has been a good mentor or whatever, Gustavson's record since JSG got here is incredible. Coincidence? Whatever.

And for capspace, we'd have had Blake at $4 000 000 and a back-up for $2 000 000, and in 2011 JSG is UFA and we can have cap space when this team is seasoned and ready to compete. JSG, Kaberle and Sjostrom are the only key players who will be UFA in the next 2 years, and they give us $11 000 000 for limited spots to fill. This cap nonsense about JSG being so limiting is getting nonsensicle. All these people pissed that Brian is trying to get better, suddenly feeling we need to be great now. Give this cycle a chance, hope for some good things next year, and then in 2011-2012 we can hope to compete.

Patience my friend, patience.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
RECsGuy*

Giguere has been garbage since his first two Leafs starts, but the real question is:

How will Jonas perform when he isn't playing exhibition games?

Jonas has earned the right to start 2010/2011 as the team's No.1, but if he falters, Giguere will scoop the job up and (IMO) keep it.

Now 32 years old, Giguere knows this is likely his last chance to grab a starting job. The upcoming offseason will be the most crucial one of his career. Expect to see a more fit Giguere next season. A summer to settle in will do Giguere wonders.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
VL

To me, Giguere just has the right attitude (which is something that bothered me about Toskala). From an article in today's Toronto Star:

Quote:
And when pucks got by him, Giguere was mad, slamming his stick on the ice.

"I was upset," said Giguere. "I get upset when goals go in. Part of my job is to give up goals. I don't like it. After so many goals it still upsets me. The day it won't I will retire."
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...afs-a-good-fit

I know people will react differently but it did bother me a bit that Toskala never seemed to mind giving up horrible goals or playing terribly. He always seemed ready to shrug it off or pass the blame. I didn't want a tantrum after every loss but take a look at Lundqvist's post-game reaction on Saturday and you can at least tell that it bothered him that he had given up a bad goal and lost a game. Losing should never become so routine that it becomes acceptable.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL View Post
To me, Giguere just has the right attitude (which is something that bothered me about Toskala). From an article in today's Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...afs-a-good-fit

I know people will react differently but it did bother me a bit that Toskala never seemed to mind giving up horrible goals or playing terribly. He always seemed ready to shrug it off or pass the blame. I didn't want a tantrum after every loss but take a look at Lundqvist's post-game reaction on Saturday and you can at least tell that it bothered him that he had given up a bad goal and lost a game. Losing should never become so routine that it becomes acceptable.
That's because it was never Toskala's fault.....just ask him.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Giguere has been garbage since his first two Leafs starts, but the real question is:

How will Jonas perform when he isn't playing exhibition games?

Jonas has earned the right to start 2010/2011 as the team's No.1, but if he falters, Giguere will scoop the job up and (IMO) keep it.

Now 32 years old, Giguere knows this is likely his last chance to grab a starting job. The upcoming offseason will be the most crucial one of his career. Expect to see a more fit Giguere next season. A summer to settle in will do Giguere wonders.
You obviously missed the Pittsburgh game this week.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Giguere has been garbage since his first two Leafs start.
So anything less then a shutout is garbage...got it.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
destrukt

Why on earth would we trade Giguere now, when we've finally got a fully-staffed goaltending system in place - the goalie coach has two NHL caliber goalies who play the style that the coach is the greatest ever at teaching.

Everybody complains about not having solid goaltending and when we get the perfect situation for the future put together, it's immediately time to trade part of it away because of a perceived cap hit problem?

Doesn't make sense.

destrukt is offline   Reply With Quote