HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gunnarsson's potential

Old
03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
What are thoughts on his potential?

I think he can learn to play a Kubina style of hockey and is a confident calm defensman. He's not afraid to shoot the puck nor he shouldn't because he has one of the best shots on Leafs D imo.

I do think he can be a replacement if Kaberle leaves (Stralman would've been better as a puck-moving D than Gunner but that ship has sailed). Next year will be a big year for him and perhaps him and Phaneuf will be the PP pairing.

Thoughts?
He's behind Deon and Beauch with the shot...

But a pleasant surprise all in all, reliable, see's the ice well, can skate, smart with the puck, makes solid plays at both ends and seems to have good character.
His style of play reminds me of Bouwmeester to a lesser degree.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Stephen

I say sky's the limit for Gunnarsson. Not because I'm a big homer, but because he seems to be a very intelligent player with good athleticism and a great frame, and can really read the play. He has all the ingredients to be a great defenseman if he gains confidence and whatnot.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I say sky's the limit for Gunnarsson. Not because I'm a big homer, but because he seems to be a very intelligent player with good athleticism and a great frame, and can really read the play. He has all the ingredients to be a great defenseman if he gains confidence and whatnot.
Defensively seems very intelligent.

Does well on the PK, as a rookie.

Playing style seems a combination of Schenn-Kaberle.

Seems to understand when to pinch, so maybe he should be an example to some of the others.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Defensively seems very intelligent.

Does well on the PK, as a rookie.

Playing style seems a combination of Schenn-Kaberle.

Seems to understand when to pinch, so maybe he should be an example to some of the others.
Hmmm, combination between Schenn and Kaberle would put him in roughly a Jonsson/Ohlund neighbourhood wouldn't it?

Old
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Baba Ganoush

i say he has the potential to be exactly like beauchemin (i mean that in a good way, for all you beauch haters). not a number one guy, but a perfect complimentary defenseman who does nothing flashy, but does everything well. i say he could be a number 3 dman on a cup winning team, like beauchemin was.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hmmm, combination between Schenn and Kaberle would put him in roughly a Jonsson/Ohlund neighbourhood wouldn't it?
Do you mean Kenny Jonsson? I think Kenny skated more fluidly, perhaps a little less physical.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
HariKari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
I see a Edler type player.
100% Agree

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Do you mean Kenny Jonsson? I think Kenny skated more fluidly, perhaps a little less physical.
I do remember Jonsson being more fluid as a skater compared to Schenn, but I don't think Gunnarsson is that much worse in terms of mobility, since he's way more mobile than Schenn. He's got a rangy style to him. I don't think Gunnarsson is more physical than Kenny Jonsson was though.

Old
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
TheTruculentTML
In it to win it

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...390/story.html

Bozak article that mentions Gunnar:

Going on road trips as a kid provided some very fond memories for the first year Maple Leaf and the road trips this season were no less exciting. “My roommate is Carl Gunnarsson,” said Bozak. “We were both down in the AHL to start the season and we’re both the same age and have a lot of the same interests. It’s kind of cool, he’s from Sweden and I’m from Canada its interesting to me to learn about his culture and stuff.”

TheTruculentTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Gunnarsson oozes and I mean oozes hockey intelligence, I would put any wager down that he is probably one of the smartest hockey players we have on our team. This guy plays over 20 min a game, and I hardly ever here his name. He is really poised out there, he makes quick smart decisions with the puck, he's physical with the body. He has great potential, he's a lock as a top 4 d man.

With everyone healthy next year and assuming komi and Kaberle are back I would still have no problem putting Gunnar in my top 4. I don't know what it is with him but personally I just see limitless potential. If he ever improves with his puck handling watch the **** out LOL.

Last edited by Stats01: 03-30-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
What are thoughts on his potential?

I think he can learn to play a Kubina style of hockey and is a confident calm defensman. He's not afraid to shoot the puck nor he shouldn't because he has one of the best shots on Leafs D imo.

I do think he can be a replacement if Kaberle leaves (Stralman would've been better as a puck-moving D than Gunner but that ship has sailed). Next year will be a big year for him and perhaps him and Phaneuf will be the PP pairing.

Thoughts?
I don't see him being a Kubina style player at all. He reminds me of a healthy Carlo Colaiacovo. Good skater with a good all arround game with a bit of sandpaper.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:41 AM
TheSilencer

I like the alex edler comparison..i'd be more than happy if he can reach upto edler...I think his strength is his defensive awareness know...he's insanely calm and poised..

when he's on ice i don't feel as "panicky" as i feel when i see some of our other D-men

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:42 AM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 150
Based on what we've seen so far, I feel like so many people in this thread are off the mark.

What we've seen is a solid d-man. He's not the fastest skater, but he's certainly mobile. He doesn't make incredible passes that thread the needle. He doesn't have a fantastic shot.

What he does have I might describe as an unwavering neutrality. He sees the ice in his general vicinity clearly. He many not spot the guy at the opposition's blue line, waiting for a pass, but he'll see everyone nearby. He'll nearly always make a smart pass. More importantly, he'll do it without thinking twice, and it'll usually be the right play.

There are no second thoughts on plays like we've seen with schenn this year - no hesitation. There are no ******** pinches like we see with beauchemin every game. There are no huge hits or grit that we see from phaneuf, and no long passes through hordes of enemies like we see from kaberle.

He's just solid. He doesn't think twice and he makes the responsible play. He's not afraid to hit, but doesn't go out of his way to land one. He's not afraid to shoot, but doesn't go out of his way to get into a primo shooting position. Right now, he seems like a perfect combination of everything necessary to be a responsible defenseman. I hope he keeps it up. If his shot, skating, grit, or passing improve, it's just gravy. He is very useful and very good at what he does well.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Vinh

One of the steadier dmen the Leafs have at the moment, but the more I watch him, the more I see that his decisions with the puck aren't great under pressure. It's just his first year though, so there's room to grow. Offensive potential isn't anything to write home about (I'd guess somewhere in the 20-25 point range) but that's not what he's there for in my opinion. Just a good, reliable dman.

Vinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Based on what we've seen so far, I feel like so many people in this thread are off the mark.

What we've seen is a solid d-man. He's not the fastest skater, but he's certainly mobile. He doesn't make incredible passes that thread the needle. He doesn't have a fantastic shot.

What he does have I might describe as an unwavering neutrality. He sees the ice in his general vicinity clearly. He many not spot the guy at the opposition's blue line, waiting for a pass, but he'll see everyone nearby. He'll nearly always make a smart pass. More importantly, he'll do it without thinking twice, and it'll usually be the right play.

There are no second thoughts on plays like we've seen with schenn this year - no hesitation. There are no ******** pinches like we see with beauchemin every game. There are no huge hits or grit that we see from phaneuf, and no long passes through hordes of enemies like we see from kaberle.

He's just solid. He doesn't think twice and he makes the responsible play. He's not afraid to hit, but doesn't go out of his way to land one. He's not afraid to shoot, but doesn't go out of his way to get into a primo shooting position. Right now, he seems like a perfect combination of everything necessary to be a responsible defenseman. I hope he keeps it up. If his shot, skating, grit, or passing improve, it's just gravy. He is very useful and very good at what he does well.
It's hard not to think his head for the game will expand as he becomes more confident and mature and depended on to do more. Not saying he will emerge as a real offensive threat ever, but remember when Kaberle broke in, he was just a smart cookie. We didn't really see his offensive game blossom until a few years into his career.

Old
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
One of the steadier dmen the Leafs have at the moment, but the more I watch him, the more I see that his decisions with the puck aren't great under pressure. It's just his first year though, so there's room to grow. Offensive potential isn't anything to write home about (I'd guess somewhere in the 20-25 point range) but that's not what he's there for in my opinion. Just a good, reliable dman.
Poise

Defenseman in particular that have it are cool under pressure, and it translate well into making less mistakes that result in costly giveaways.

Gunnarsson has plenty of poise and it serves him well and makes his potential for long term success exciting because reliable defenders are always a desire. .

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
beleaf101

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post

Well said

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Rifleman

he's the new Ian White but bigger.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
he's the new Ian White but bigger.
and without the stache

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
I do remember Jonsson being more fluid as a skater compared to Schenn, but I don't think Gunnarsson is that much worse in terms of mobility, since he's way more mobile than Schenn. He's got a rangy style to him. I don't think Gunnarsson is more physical than Kenny Jonsson was though.
Kenny Jonsson was a soft player.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
why do we even have to compare him to anyone at the moment, he's not even finished his first season and we're already putting limits on what he can become.

Last edited by Stats01: 03-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote