HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lou Article on Kovy

Old
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Big#D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek View Post
He's getting our hopes so high by saying all the rights things..

Damn him!
I think Kovalchuk is a lot like Lemaire in that he likes to screw with the media and the fans through implying things instead of answering the questions directly.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
nope! And it seems a little unethical. Maybe unethical is a poor choice of words, but its def. shady and goes against the point of the CBA. I can't see him really doing it.
Hasn't Lou bent the rules in his favor in the past ?!?!? I can't remember what he did but what I can remember is that everyone was throwing stones at Lou for finding a loophole.

If Lou can keep IK by finding a loophole in the CBA... you can bet your ass that he'll do it whitout any questions and if he doesn't cause it's not the "right" thing to do, he needs to step down A.S.A.P. His goal is to make the team better whitin the rules but if there's a way to avoid something while still being seen as "legal", you do it.

That's just my opinion

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

I am not getting my hopes up. that way, if he does somehow sign with NJ, i will be happy. If he doesn't, i wasn't expecting it anyway.

See my Logic?

He was saying a lot of the right things in ATL also. I wanna be a thrasher for life...Blah blah blah....

I would actually hope that this summer he tries to extend Parise also. Might as well get it all done this offseason....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Hasn't Lou bent the rules in his favor in the past ?!?!? I can't remember what he did but what I can remember is that everyone was throwing stones at Lou for finding a loophole.

If Lou can keep IK by finding a loophole in the CBA... you can bet your ass that he'll do it whitout any questions and if he doesn't cause it's not the "right" thing to do, he needs to step down A.S.A.P. His goal is to make the team better whitin the rules but if there's a way to avoid something while still being seen as "legal", you do it.

That's just my opinion
Lou probably will find a Louphole that allows him to keep Kovy for negative cap space or something crazy. But I don't know if it will be the long-term front loaded contract that he uses to do it.

He hasn't really used the long-term front loaded contract before, and I'm not sure he will. Not only is it slightly unethical, it's also a big risk if the player has an injury early in the contract and the team has to eat several years of his salary. Lou probably doesn't want to do that.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Semifinals or earlier: Kovy leaves.
Conference Finals or later: Kovy stays.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
that's what i think, too. and the "Kovy stays." would mean at a discount, too. I really do believe he's a true team player, and would be willing to take less $ to be on a true winning team.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
I don't understand this logic at all. Kovy knows how difficult it is just to make the playoffs, let alone advance to the Conference Finals. He could sign with Detroit on July 1 and the odds of him ever winning a Cup are still slim. Look what happened to Hossa.

Even if we lose in the first round (again), Kovy knows that Lou's goal is to win a Cup every year. That's the best any player can ask for -- to play on a team that has a chance of winning every year. To say that he'll leave if we don't reach a certain round, without taking anything else into consideration, is nonsense.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
I don't understand this logic at all. Kovy knows how difficult it is just to make the playoffs, let alone advance to the Conference Finals. He could sign with Detroit on July 1 and the odds of him ever winning a Cup are still slim. Look what happened to Hossa.

Even if we lose in the first round (again), Kovy knows that Lou's goal is to win a Cup every year. That's the best any player can ask for -- to play on a team that has a chance of winning every year. To say that he'll leave if we don't reach a certain round, without taking anything else into consideration, is nonsense.
Thank you... you just saved me 4 minutes right there. What every athlete wants from their organisation is to have a shot at the cup, period. We, the New Jersey Devils, have been given the chance to compete for the cup 13 straight years and that's a MAJOR accomplishement in pro sports, regardless of the sport.

In Lou I trust and if he doesn't resign IK, I'll know that he did everything humanly possible to lock him up... I have no doubts whatsoever.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
guyincognito

you guys are going to learn a valueable lesson the hard way.

some people in this thread get it. now, all that we wait for is... who gets the venom. Kovalchuk or Lou.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstonisuseless View Post

some people in this thread get it. now, all that we wait for is... who gets the venom. Kovalchuk or Lou.
Buzz murderer

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:

It depends. If we win the Cup, neither. If Kovy gets greedy, him. If Lou gets cheap, him. If he re-signs at a reasonable price, neither. We'll see which it is.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It depends. If we win the Cup, neither. If Kovy gets greedy, him. If Lou gets cheap, him. If he re-signs at a reasonable price, neither. We'll see which it is.
I wonder if we're going to have a draft party this year. (really no logical reason to have one when you don't have a first round pick, but they make alot of money)

this is when the riot could break out.

"we have a trade. the Devils trade the Thrashers 2nd round pick, 45 overall, and Ilya Kovalchuk, to the Los Angeles Kings for their 1st round pick, 24th overall, their 3rd round pick, 84th overall, and future considerations."

"hello.... Newark police department, this is officer X speaking"

"HELP!"

Old
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
I wonder if we're going to have a draft party this year. (really no logical reason to have one when you don't have a first round pick, but they make alot of money)

this is when the riot could break out.

"we have a trade. the Devils trade the Thrashers 2nd round pick, 45 overall, and Ilya Kovalchuk, to the Los Angeles Kings for their 1st round pick, 24th overall, their 3rd round pick, 84th overall, and future considerations."

"hello.... Newark police department, this is officer X speaking"

"HELP!"
If Lou didn't trade Gomez at the draft, when there were rumors that several teams were interested, he's not trading Kovy.

Old
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
JimEIV

I don't think we can afford him...I have seen the "Rosey Scenario" cap figures some of our fans have put together, but the reality is it is a pipedream.

And if anyone thinks a player is going to leave 20+ million dollars on the table to "play for a winner" they are very much delusional. Would you? Would your agent let you? Would your family appreciate the decision?

A million here or there maybe, but there are going to be suitors willing to open up the purse.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
If Lou didn't trade Gomez at the draft, when there were rumors that several teams were interested, he's not trading Kovy.
considering he had no interest in offering Gomez a contract, that was stupid. hopefully he learned from that mistake

Old
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I don't think we can afford him...I have seen the "Rosey Scenario" cap figures some of our fans have put together, but the reality is it is a pipedream.

And if anyone thinks a player is going to leave 20+ million dollars on the table to "play for a winner" they are very much delusional. Would you? Would your agent let you? Would your family appreciate the decision?

A million here or there maybe, but there are going to be suitors willing to open up the purse.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:22 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
To say that he'll leave if we don't reach a certain round, without taking anything else into consideration, is nonsense.
True...

Pardon my blanket statement.

Old
03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Oh, and is it fair to ask for a "Please Stay Kovy!" chant at the season closer?

Old
03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Oh, and is it fair to ask for a "Please Stay Kovy!" chant at the season closer?
I don't think it would hurt.

Old
03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
http://http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/03/ilya_kovalchuk_named_nhl_star.html

As usual, Lou reveals pretty much nothing. The only things he says that makes me think he won't re-sign Kovy is:

He also compliments Kovy in the article a lot, so who knows. Enjoy.
Why would that make you think that he won't re-sign Kovalchuk? What Lou states makes perfect sense. Fans (many) and media types are obsessed with the future. In late March, an NHL GM in charge of a contender lives in the here and now. As in: April-June.

And, a GM should never let fan sentiment affect multi-million-dollar decisions.

As has been stated, player and team are focused on one thing. Once that is over, player and team will assess their respective futures and determine if they wish to/can negotiate a relationship beyond July 1st. If they can, great, If not, that's OK too.

No need for worry...unless one likes to worry.

I personally believe that how the team fares from here on out will have nothing to do with Kovlachuk's decision. He knows that NJD is a winning organization annually, regardless of how this spring turns out. That is the Devils' reputation. What? Is he going to find a more successful or promising franchise?

Economics (for both sides) will have a much bigger impact, which is fine and should be expected.

What is so striking about Lou's comments (and so great, if one follows NJD) is that the GM talks about how the player "fits in". No player - even a world-class talent - is above this organization. That is NOT a small point. And Kovalchuk knows it...and I believe, embraces it. Which says a lot about him.

It is the difference between franchises that buy the new mercenary/hero free agent every July 1st... and those that have a winning brand, year after year.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-30-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
I think Kovalchuk is a lot like Lemaire in that he likes to screw with the media and the fans through implying things instead of answering the questions directly.
What high priced free agent would want his intentions known?

He's being smart.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
considering he had no interest in offering Gomez a contract, that was stupid. hopefully he learned from that mistake
I think Lou will be offering Kovalchuk a contract.

Lou was probably tired of dealing with Gomez and his father.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Someone tell me the last time Lou went and personally received a player he acquired. Skoula-la had to drive from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and then fly commercial to join the team in Calgary. It wasn't even a direct flight.

I'm sure there is some significance to that. Lou does a pretty good job locking up the players he wants to keep. With Niedermayer being the only exception, all of the players that left via free agency over the years did so because Lou wasn't interested in bringing them back. In fact, from what I remember, Gio, Madden, Gomez, Rupp, and Clemmer didn't even get an offer from him. Rafalski may have gotten one, but Lou clearly didn't aggressively negotiate with him like he did with Niedermayer. My point is, when Lou wants to keep a player, he usually succeeds. And so far, it seems like he wants to keep Kovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I think Lou will be offering Kovalchuk a contract.

Lou was probably tired of dealing with Gomez and his father.
Yep. I wanted Gomez gone after his arbitration hearing. His father said some things that made me seriously doubt that he would re-sign here.

Old
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

Ahhh, the optimist arrives.

Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Like I said several times before, getting rid of Pandolfo, Salvador, and Peters will create $5.9M of cap space. All three are expendable, and their departure should provide enough space to lock up Kovy. If Kovy truly buys into the team concept, he'll take a reasonable $7M.