HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

How to get a laptop ready for sale

Old
03-29-2010, 10:46 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
How to get a laptop ready for sale

My original laptop is a Lenovo R61 Thinkpad. It's been having a few problems and is starting to show it's age, so I purchased a new (used) T60 Thinkpad. I put the R61 laptop on Ebay thinking I could just hit a few from the boot screen like I did with my Z60 Thinkpad a few years ago when I got the R61 and restore it to factory settings. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've searched and searched and the overwhelming advice is to use the included recovery disks that were in the original purchase. I don't have those anymore. I just want to delete all of my personal information and wipe it completely, the right way.

Is there another way of going about doing this?

For what it's worth, I'm running Windows 7 but Vista was the original OS. I need to revert to Vista as well because I've upgraded to Windows 7 on the T60 using the product key.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
My original laptop is a Lenovo R61 Thinkpad. It's been having a few problems and is starting to show it's age, so I purchased a new (used) T60 Thinkpad. I put the R61 laptop on Ebay thinking I could just hit a few from the boot screen like I did with my Z60 Thinkpad a few years ago when I got the R61 and restore it to factory settings. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've searched and searched and the overwhelming advice is to use the included recovery disks that were in the original purchase. I don't have those anymore. I just want to delete all of my personal information and wipe it completely, the right way.

Is there another way of going about doing this?

For what it's worth, I'm running Windows 7 but Vista was the original OS. I need to revert to Vista as well because I've upgraded to Windows 7 on the T60 using the product key.
Well you could boot from a linux live distro, windows install cd/dvd/, or put the drive in another system using one of those enclosures and format it. The drive would obviously not have an OS on it anymore.

Does it not have a recovery partition? At boot up there might be a factory restore option, unless you deleted the recovery partition when you installed 7. Not sure what Lenovo does.

You could probably order recovery media from Lenovo for less than 25$ if you really want it. Did one a few months back on a compaq and they wanted 15$

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I'm not sure about the recovery partition. I went through a few different system recovery/restore etc programs and none of the options included a recovery partition. They all wanted to restore from a previous backup, but that doesn't really do me any good.

Also, I'm kind of in a time crunch. I didn't really look to wipe the hard drive until tonight, and the auction ends in about 45 minutes. Any sort of recovery CD wouldn't make it in time before I would have to ship it, and to be honest, it's not gonna sell for much more than 100$ so I'd rather not cut into my profit all that much. And I'm not sure if the buyer is just going to sell it for parts themselves or actually use it, so to be on the safe side I'll probably have to have an OS on it.

I may be missing something, because I'm not all that computer savvy, but I don't know if I am. My goal is to just wipe it somehow but with the factory OS (Vista) on it.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Pirate/Buy/Borrow any old Vista disc of the same version. Install it using the product key sticker on the laptop.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
guinness
those were the days

I would use Dban to clean wipe, the pirate the Vista iso (although, MS does allow people to download the 7 iso, so maybe it's the same with Vista).

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote