HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Nashville: Sanity Returns Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-31-2010, 12:00 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
I totally get what wabwat and bland are saying and the best move probably is for Bernier to head back to Manchester and play in the playoffs for the Monarchs, but I think he deserves another game or two here in LA as Quick's backup.

Besides, what if he is the ghost of Ken Dryden 1971?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Just because Bernier is good (and by god he is) doesn't mean Quick is bad. I rather give Quick the playoffs, it's not a good time to change the teams goalie and Quick has got us here, would be unfair not to let him play when he's done nothing wrong besides being overplayed.

I do think Bernier is the future, though. Would definitely have him be the #1 next year if he has a good pre season.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Kngswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Let's not start sucking each others dicks just yet. There is a lot of hockey left to be
played.
THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kngswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I totally get what wabwat and bland are saying and the best move probably is for Bernier to head back to Manchester and play in the playoffs for the Monarchs, but I think he deserves another game or two here in LA as Quick's backup.

Besides, what if he is the ghost of Ken Dryden 1971?
Or Cam Ward. How quickly people forgot that Gerber got the Hurricanes to the playoffs, Ward led them to the promised land.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
razzy

Pretty sure if Calgary loses tomorrow they go with Quick against Van b/c management will expect a rebound from him after JQ witnessing JB post the SO. Also, we will be going with Quick until Manch is eliminated, just the way it is. Now, if Calgary wins I think JB will play Thursday.

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Pretty sure if Calgary loses tomorrow they go with Quick against Van b/c management will expect a rebound from him after JQ witnessing JB post the SO. Also, we will be going with Quick until Manch is eliminated, just the way it is. Now, if Calgary wins I think JB will play Thursday.
Bernier should be allowed to continue in goal until he loses.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
What?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
bland

Quote:
Or Cam Ward. How quickly people forgot that Gerber got the Hurricanes to the playoffs, Ward led them to the promised land.

The problem is that if you hand Bernier the keys now, and he/the team falls flat on his/their faces, you could very well be back at the drawing board with two relatively unproven goalies with shakey confidence, and find yourself in the same situation next season.

Quick has earned the job all year and he hasn't lost it yet.

The best possible thing you can do is to send Bernier down to Manchester right now. Let him go back to the farm with the confidence that he has every chance in the world to earn the job next year, but also with that chip on his shoulder for the rest of this season. It's win-win.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Maybe some would prefer to suck dicks.
Speak for yourself I prefer to watch games like tonight to those of the past four games or like the last Hawks game at Staples. Tonight you could see they were a differnet team. O.k. the 2nd period was a bit scary, but they held serve. And, mopre importantly they held them off the score sheet. JB does look just oh so calm in there, which is not to criticize JQ, but JB's demeanor is just . . . well . . .smooth.

If we play like this I have little concern for how we will perform in the post season. but if Mr. Hyde shows up again, it can be very scary.

It will be quiter interesting to hear what TM has to say after this game. maybe something along the lines of "I told you there was no problem." In which case, refer to Reaper's earlier post!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
The problem is that if you hand Bernier the keys now, and he/the team falls flat on his/their faces, you could very well be back at the drawing board with two relatively unproven goalies with shakey confidence, and find yourself in the same situation next season.

The best possible thing you can do is to send Bernier down to Manchester right now. Let him go back to the farm with the confidence that he has every chance in the world to earn the job next year, but also with that chip on his shoulder for the rest of this season. It's win-win.
Or he goes back to Manchester and sulks again thinking what the hell do I have to do to make this team? I mean, I'd probably send him back as well but you have to remember that goalies are a fragile bunch and Bernier has been in that spot before.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Or he goes back to Manchester and sulks again thinking what the hell do I have to do to make this team? I mean, I'd probably send him back as well but you have to remember that goalies are a fragile bunch and Bernier has been in that spot before.
Then we're all in for a world of pain if he never shakes that nonsense. I think (hope) he's improved the mental side of things, and definitely should go back down once Ersberg's back is feeling better (). This is still Quicks team, of that there is no question.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Do you really think we want Ersberg as the backup goalie for the playoff run?????

Besides, Ersberg is injured and we need a backup. Bernier is here to stay until the Kings are eliminated or are hoisting the Stanley Cup, whichever comes first.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Ollie Weeks

So we've conquered another demon in excellent fashion. One more left. One last chance to convince me the worst playoff scenario is anything BUT Vancouver.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Kings success > Manchester success

Bernier needs to stay up and keep playing until he loses, Quick needs the rest. There's no doubt in my mind that Quick will be the #1 guy in the playoffs, but it's better for him to look over his shoulder then to feel comfortable the whole way through, imo.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:50 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

I agree and I also agree with what Reaper said, but what if Quick keeps losing games? Then what happens? We keep calling up Bernier as an emergency back-up? Come on man, Bernier's staying up, he deserves it.

Who'll backup Zatkoff in Manch though? Monarchs are ok, they're going to make the playoffs, Muzzin and Hickey should play tomorrow night

Old
03-31-2010, 12:54 AM
KingLB

Quote:

Agreed, you also have to remember that JB hasn't been up long enough to get a "book" on him, what happens if in say 5 games teams start to light him up because they find some tendencies in his game?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
ZOMG, shutout?!?!?!!?!?
she is one of the member from a girl group that I was trying to make my sexy pick avatar..

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:59 AM
palffytofrovlov

I am really stuck on who plays. I have been a fan of Bernier since he was drafted and I think he deserves to play again the next game. Not only because of the way he is playing but to give Quick a few games off I think he really needs it. As much as they say he is physically fine I think his game isn't mentally there since the birth of his son. Could be the pressure to make the playoffs or the amount of games since his off in his game. Maybe if Bernier gives him that break and Kings win and qualify in the next 2 games then you can return him to Manchester for their playoff run and give Quick games to round out his game again for the playoffs.

I agree there isnt a right or wrong decision its what they feel is best not only right now but in the future. But after seeing Bernier in his last 2 starts and seen him this year in the AHL... as good as Quick is Bernier will be better. I know its going to be hard for some of us even myself but you can see it in technique and calmness. On to the Nucks!!! Lets win this at home!!

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:02 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I think after tonight's game Lombardi and Hextall cracked open a bottle of champagne, smoked a cigar and congratulated themselves on a great goalie controversy. Hextall then volunteered himself to go tell Ersberg that he is still hurt and will remain hurt indefintely. I've been watching the Kings for over 20 years, most of that time it was massive suckdom in net. Now all of the sudden they appear to have 2 legit #1 goalies, great position to be in. Don't go buying those Jon Quick King jerseys just yet, I don't think the Kings will make the mistake Boston did and keep both. Great game tonight, great to have a #1 goalie controversy-FINALLY.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:03 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Whatever. I guess the people that can actually see that Bernier is already better than Quick will just have to wait till their ***** goes away for him. Give it about 3 games it'll soften up.

If I'm Jonathan Bernier and I get sent down, I probably want out of L.A. He's been the best goalie in the system for probably about two years and he's playing in the A.

He is our best option in goal. Wake up.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

From Rich Hammond...

Quote:
(on whether Bernier will stay with the team…)
MURRAY: “Yeah, he’s going to be on the plane.”

Murray really likes Bernier, you can see it in the interviews he gives. JB really has the vote of confidence from the GM and Coach. He is our most talented Goaltender, and our best option. Does he start the rest of the way, probably not. He earned himself a couple starts and certainly does serve himself well for next season.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Whatever. I guess the people that can actually see that Bernier is already better than Quick will just have to wait till their ***** goes away for him. Give it about 3 games it'll soften up.

If I'm Jonathan Bernier and I get sent down, I probably want out of L.A. He's been the best goalie in the system for probably about two years and he's playing in the A.

He is our best option in goal. Wake up.
want out lmao? come on man, if he wanted out, he would've asked for a trade when Hextall and Lombardi told him he had to go through a full season in the AHL. Bernier is understanding and accepts the fact that he needs to be successful down there before being successful in the show. With that being said, ya, he's played well in both the games with the Kings, but let's call that a tease for what's to come next season. Quick and Bernier are good friends, they'll be the best 1-2 tandem in the NHL next season. Bernier should play against the Canucks and have Quick rested up for the Saturday game

Old
03-31-2010, 01:16 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Parse has a lot of offensive talent, yet Murray still had the nerve to call him out for missing a good chance in a game against Vancouver earlier this year saying "I need someone out there who will finish that" or something to that effect.

WTF are you talking about Murray?!? Kid has 11 goals in limited games/minutes this season while your boy Duthin misses golden opportunity after golden opportunity. Duthin get's to play an entire 5-on-3 though while Parse gets scratched or put with Ivanans.

rant\

I really liked how they played tonight. Much better speed into the zone and Kopitar looked great. While Murray blew my mind by breaking up Parse/Richie/Horse, he kept at least a pair on each line who have played well together before: 11/94, 28/23, 26/17 and 15/63. If he's going to play musical lines, at least do it in a way like this that makes some sense.

I'm about 2 more games like this away from joining the Trade Johnson Movement. All the tools with no tool box to put them in. It's amazing how often he makes the wrong play; it's even more confounding that it takes him too long to think about what play to make and then he winds up making the wrong one anyways. Maybe he should stop thinking because it's never seemed to be his strong suit. Just play hockey man. If he makes a bad play because he's trying to do something with his impressive talent then that's fine; the problem is he makes horrible decisions on the simple plays.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
want out lmao? come on man, if he wanted out, he would've asked for a trade when Hextall and Lombardi told him he had to go through a full season in the AHL. Bernier is understanding and accepts the fact that he needs to be successful down there before being successful in the show. With that being said, ya, he's played well in both the games with the Kings, but let's call that a tease for what's to come next season. Quick and Bernier are good friends, they'll be the best 1-2 tandem in the NHL next season. Bernier should play against the Canucks and have Quick rested up for the Saturday game
What happens when Bernier plays stellar against Vancouver? Alright, buddy PEACE! Then Quick comes in and sucks like he has been.. but you know.. "he's played so many games this season.."

Whatever, I hope Quick comes in and plays well again. But the fact of the matter is Bernier is just flat out better than he is.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:22 AM
two out of three*

Another thing that pisses me off is that Quick was just handed this job, and now he thinks its his with no competition. Quick played a total of 33 games in Manchester and got the job starting for the Kings.. Bernier needs to play a whole season?