HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you get the tongue of your skate to flop around?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2010, 05:28 PM
  #51
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
not really, im just saying my preference is to not flop out my tongue to a ridiculous extreme as I wouldn't feel as much pressure on my lower leg on the tongue, which im used to.

I don't tuck my tongue behind my shin guards, i have them out, but not flopped out like a freaking idiot. flopping out all crazy will definitely have a minute affect on your skating if you are actually using proper technique. but considering most of guys are yanks, you don't know crap all
Haha, wow, you are one serious idiot. After being proven wrong countless ways by countless posters, your only reply is "you guys are American so you don't know **** about lacing skates or hockey." Good logic, boy.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
  #52
PlagerBros*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
not really, im just saying my preference is to not flop out my tongue to a ridiculous extreme as I wouldn't feel as much pressure on my lower leg on the tongue, which im used to.

I don't tuck my tongue behind my shin guards, i have them out, but not flopped out like a freaking idiot. flopping out all crazy will definitely have a minute affect on your skating if you are actually using proper technique. but considering most of guys are yanks, you don't know crap all

Wow, that's all I can say about the complete idiocy of this post...and pretty much every one of yours in this thread.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
  #53
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Seanconn-It's time to shut up. You've embarrassed yourself enough.


Anyways, no need for "special" tongues. Look at Grafs, they even come with a crease on the sides so you can flop them better.



Whether your tongues are in or out, flopped or not flopped- your ankle support is basically the same. But with your tongues out and flopped you'll get the most forward movement possible which lets you get lower AND skate faster. The fact that you look better is just a bonus.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
  #54
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post

Whether your tongues are in or out, flopped or not flopped- your ankle support is basically the same. But with your tongues out and flopped you'll get the most forward movement possible which lets you get lower AND skate faster. The fact that you look better is just a bonus.
True enough about the ankle support but the bolded section is a myth. If flopping the tongue gave you equal support but allowed you to skate faster, don't you think everyone would do it? It's simply a comfort/style preference. It has no effect on how fast you can skate. I have worn my tongues out as a youth and switched to wearing them in and it has certainly not effected my speed in the slightest, most insignificantly marginal way at all. It is simply a matter of personal preference. There are no pros or cons.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
  #55
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
True enough about the ankle support but the bolded section is a myth. If flopping the tongue gave you equal support but allowed you to skate faster, don't you think everyone would do it? It's simply a comfort/style preference. It has no effect on how fast you can skate. I have worn my tongues out as a youth and switched to wearing them in and it has certainly not effected my speed in the slightest, most insignificantly marginal way at all. It is simply a matter of personal preference. There are no pros or cons.
Bingo. Ankle support and forward flexion are only affected by the number of eyelets used and how tight you tie your skates, all of which happens below where a tongue is either flopped or not. It does not have any impact on speed.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
  #56
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Your Chelios picture is a prefect example of tongues out. Nothing extreme, nothing out of the norm. That's exactly how I wear my skates as do most people I know.
There is a big disconnect on this thread.

The OP is not simply discussing tongue out, as in outside of the shin guard vs under the shin guard. That "style" has been around for ages. It's not controversial in any way.

What the OP is describing is the floppy tongue look, like Ovechkin has. Completely different from simply wearing your tongue over your shin pads (which probably 50% of hockey players do).

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:36 PM
  #57
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Some of us realized that and tried to get the thread back on track but it was too late.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM
  #58
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
True enough about the ankle support but the bolded section is a myth. If flopping the tongue gave you equal support but allowed you to skate faster, don't you think everyone would do it? It's simply a comfort/style preference. It has no effect on how fast you can skate. I have worn my tongues out as a youth and switched to wearing them in and it has certainly not effected my speed in the slightest, most insignificantly marginal way at all. It is simply a matter of personal preference. There are no pros or cons.
It makes you more comfy. And the more comfy you are-the faster you can skate.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
  #59
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, i don't think any of us were making the argument for having your tongue under your shin pads, but just against how flopping your tongues out is just goofy and not necessary at all!

chances are most people don't flip their tongues out in their skates. I seriously don't understand how flopping the tongues out doesn't take support away from your ankles.

do you guys not lead forward at all when you are skating... or push down into the ice?
If I had my tongues out, id wouldn't feel as stable at all.. but i guess to each his own...
Tongues in or out have nothing to do with support.

Everything about hockey equipment and performing well in it is comfort. There was a guy who played pro hockey for the Bruins (forget his name now, he was a call up banger guy) in the 80s who had his skates laced low almost like regular shoes and his skates were almost loose enough to pull off his feet by hand. I saw a film clip back then in the lockeroom and he was explaining it.

The point is there is NO incorrect way to lace, tongue, or tape up a skate. None.

I've seen so many different ways and have tried a few, I had tongues out in the late 70s and early 80s because the socks had foot stirrups and were made that way. Some guys used to cut the stirrups off and tuck the tongue under their shinguard.

I don't now, I have tongues under the shinguard and lace the skate all the way up on every eyelet. years ago i used two seperate laces on each foot, one lower and one upper and not laced up all the way. That felt comfortable in THAT skate.

Again it is a comfort thing. Today's skates should not have any support issues to deal with and all are made well enough as it should not even be an issue. I am not talking about the cheapie skates for $120-$200.

Anyhewwwwww ......

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:51 AM
  #60
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Haha, wow, you are one serious idiot. After being proven wrong countless ways by countless posters, your only reply is "you guys are American so you don't know **** about lacing skates or hockey." Good logic, boy.
makes sense to me, since it's only been Americans beaking me this whole time.

I think ive made it clear I don't think flopping out your tongue to an extreme like Ovi does is going to really change your ability to skate for 90% of skaters. Put for skaters who take big powerful strides opposed to quick short ones, I think it really does make a difference. that is all. not a huge difference but it a difference nonetheless.

how bout this, next time I go to the rink I will try to flop out my tongue as far as I can. But im pretty much positive it would bug the hell out of me and I would notice a difference.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
  #61
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
It makes you more comfy. And the more comfy you are-the faster you can skate.

Unless you're a tongue-in guy and it makes you less comfy. Which is why it's a preference thing and doesn't "make you faster". But yes, whatever YOU are more comfortable with is going to work better for you.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:16 AM
  #62
BCheetham17
 
BCheetham17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I have a pair of x60s i got from a pro stock retailer last weekend. The pro who the skates were intended for had put reinforced plastic inserts in the tongues. I usually like to flop it out, I just like the way it looks and feels on my feet. I went to a local customs shop we have around and it costs about 80 bucks to get white felt tongues that are easy to flop.

In short, if you can't flop you're tongues, get them modded with white felt, most pro shops will do this for you for around 70-100 bucks.

BCheetham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 08:24 AM
  #63
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
There is a big disconnect on this thread.

The OP is not simply discussing tongue out, as in outside of the shin guard vs under the shin guard. That "style" has been around for ages. It's not controversial in any way.

What the OP is describing is the floppy tongue look, like Ovechkin has. Completely different from simply wearing your tongue over your shin pads (which probably 50% of hockey players do).
BIG TIME!

Originally, I was focused on the pictures the OP attached. Sort got side tracked there a bit, but hey what do you expect from a filthy yank.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
  #64
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
makes sense to me, since it's only been Americans beaking me this whole time.

I think ive made it clear I don't think flopping out your tongue to an extreme like Ovi does is going to really change your ability to skate for 90% of skaters. Put for skaters who take big powerful strides opposed to quick short ones, I think it really does make a difference. that is all. not a huge difference but it a difference nonetheless.

how bout this, next time I go to the rink I will try to flop out my tongue as far as I can. But im pretty much positive it would bug the hell out of me and I would notice a difference.
Do you not understand why you are getting "beaked"?

It is because what you are saying in countless posts including the one I'm replying to is completely wrong and has no logical basis, not because you are Canadian and I am American.

I think its been made clear several times in different ways by different posters that tongues in or out have no effect at all on speed. IT IS STRICTLY A COMFORT ISSUE, NOT A PERFORMANCE ISSUE.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
  #65
Webernaut
 
Webernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
If he think he pitches better in women's underwear, he pitches better in women's underwear. -Bull Durham

Same theory applies here.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
  #66
sherwood sniper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
First...I didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to point out that in the picture of Pronger his tongues are not out. It's actually a piece of padding that extend from the shin pad to protect the top of the foot......Seabrook does the same.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
  #67
trisgale
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
just because of this thread I decided to try tongue outside of my shin's last night (not flopping around, Just outside), I've always wore them under my shins. I did notice more ankle mobility but my ankle was still supported. I actually liked it better as i felt more flexible. So I guess my own preference from now on will be tongue out.

I know this doesn't answer the OP original question however the replies are kinda leading to my experience.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
  #68
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
well since this thread is going in all different directions i want to add that i put my socks over my tongue kind of like but even more cause my socks are longer so i can more



also since ive gotten one95 skates, and whoever has them or even x60s know this but there is an ankle lock on there where like teh ball of your ankle sits in and its really dug out so the whole skate contours around your foot with not a whole lot of movement which is what its suppose to do

i usually tuck my tongue in so its not showing, not really under the shins mostly cause i use 14" chinsy small shins and im 6'3 so they are a bit small but i noticed that if i tuck my tongue in too much into the skate the tongue goes into teh ankle ball dugout lock which stops the ball of my ankle from sitting in teh ankle lock properly and causes pressure.

i didnt notice it right away but when i was putting my skates one time i noticed why the ball of my ankles was hurting, so i pushed the tongues out a bit and the ball of my ankle was sitting in there better which relieved that pressure and pain and make it a much better fit

i kind of have to push the tongue out a little with the one95s

any one95 wearers notice that too??

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
  #69
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Yeah, one95s were made to give you the greatest range of motion. I wore my tongues out on my one95s and it was way comfortable.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
  #70
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Yeah, one95s were made to give you the greatest range of motion. I wore my tongues out on my one95s and it was way comfortable.
yea it took my a few times on the ice to figure that out, i was just so used to tucking my tongue into my skate but it almost has to be pushed out, it doesnt have to flop but it should be pushed out

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.