HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coed hockey fights and the human response

Old
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

vCash: 500
Coed hockey fights and the human response

Hey guys so would you say I overreacted?

I play in a low level ball hockey league (coed) we were playing a new team, they were very raw, alot of hacking and whatnot and they didn't let up on the girls in the corners. One guy on there team was about 6'4 250 very unskilled and he hit one of our girls in the corner, which is bad enough but than he called her a diver. I was about 10 feet so I ran at him and threw a bodycheck, than dropped my gloves and said "lets go expletive expletive" etc etc, he wasn't wearing gloves therefore did not drop them. Nothing came of it, except his voice cracked and I noticed he had braces . Overreaction? what should I have done. I've never been in that kind of situation in a coed league, usually the guys are very apologetic when a girl gets knocked down. Anyway what would you do in my situation?

FYI I'm 5'7 180, short and stocky, so he was well out of my weight class. But I'd still wreck him

Last edited by Bring_Bak_Damphousse: 03-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post

I play in a low level ball hockey league (coed) we were playing a new team, they were very raw, alot of hacking and whatnot and they didn't let up on the girls in the corners. One guy on there team was about 6'4 250 very unskilled and he hit one of our girls in the corner, which is bad enough but than he called her a diver. I was about 10 feet so I ran at him and threw a bodycheck, than dropped my gloves and said "lets go expletive expletive" etc etc, he wasn't wearing gloves therefore did not drop them. Nothing came of it, except his voice cracked and I noticed he had braces . Overreaction? what should I have done. I've never been in that kind of situation in a coed league, usually the guys are very apologetic when a girl goes down. Anyway what would you do in my situation?

FYI I'm 5'7 180, short and stocky, so he was well out of my weight class. But I'd still wreck him
I play in a coed intramural league here at school and I all I ever do when this happens, because it happens a lot cuz dumb kids don't think girls belong on the same ice anyway, is simply go over to the guy give him a little shot or maybe start a little pushing match and see what he does lol. It's different, because if we fought we would both be kicked out of the league forever, but no one has ever dropped the gloves. And I'm about your size. Maybe you overreacted a little, but that **** is just dangerous and has no place in any game yet alone a rec league coed game.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

If girls cant handle a bit of rough play then they should play in an all girl league. I am not saying expect to get full out hit, but pushing and shoving is a part of hockey.

In my intramural league its co-ed and I nudged a girl going to the net once, like I would do to any other player and she went flying, and I got a penalty. Fortunately I am pretty strong so no one really came after me haha, but still if I had nudged a male player like that nothing would have happened.

Girls should just expect to be treated somewhat the same as other guys, obviously I wont go out of my way to hit a girl, and I would never fight one.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
If girls cant handle a bit of rough play then they should play in an all girl league. I am not saying expect to get full out hit, but pushing and shoving is a part of hockey.

In my intramural league its co-ed and I nudged a girl going to the net once, like I would do to any other player and she went flying, and I got a penalty. Fortunately I am pretty strong so no one really came after me haha, but still if I had nudged a male player like that nothing would have happened.

Girls should just expect to be treated somewhat the same as other guys, obviously I wont go out of my way to hit a girl, and I would never fight one.
I get what your saying and I agree to an extent, coincidental contact is part of hockey at all levels but this was almost a full on hit by a big dude. Not to mention he said she was a diver.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
ean

I'm not even going to touch the fact that this was in a "ball hockey" league...but either way:

Get a grip dude. Yes what the guy did probably warranted you getting in his face and saying something and maybe giving him a shove. But going straight to tossing down the gloves and challenging a guy (in a ball hockey league!) shows that you're either: A. some Marty McSorley wannabe whose never even scrapped before but has seen it on TV or B. madly in love with this chick on your team (who is probably butch anyways). I'm going to guess you're both.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post

I play in a low level ball hockey league (coed) we were playing a new team, they were very raw, alot of hacking and whatnot and they didn't let up on the girls in the corners. One guy on there team was about 6'4 250 very unskilled and he hit one of our girls in the corner, which is bad enough but than he called her a diver. I was about 10 feet so I ran at him and threw a bodycheck, than dropped my gloves and said "lets go expletive expletive" etc etc, he wasn't wearing gloves therefore did not drop them. Nothing came of it, except his voice cracked and I noticed he had braces . Overreaction? what should I have done. I've never been in that kind of situation in a coed league, usually the guys are very apologetic when a girl goes down. Anyway what would you do in my situation?

I'm not touching that one.

But I will add that anyone being rough at a coed game needs his ass kicked end of story. You did what I would have.

Some women have told me after skating into each other not to worry about it as they like to play that way. You know women these days have the "We're not girls, we're women" type things. I love women for not being weak nowadays.

I hope to see women in the NHL someday as people who can play and not as a novelty. They are getting better and better and someday it will be common place for rough stuff in the corner with the opposite sex even at an amature coed game.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Get a grip. The girls should be treated just like the guys.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
You don't think a 250lb man around 6ft tall cleaning out a woman in the corner and then stating she was diving warrants at least a "hey dude you really suck man" comment?

Okeedokeee then.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

ball hockey as in no equipment floor/street hockey? I wouldn't really ever want to contact hockey with girls unless it was on skates with full equipment.

On ice it's different as girls can usually skate just as good if not better than a lot of guys, and can avoid getting hit a lot. guy was probably being a complete dick, but you could have just said "buddy, **** off and get your head in the game"

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
ball hockey as in no equipment floor/street hockey? I wouldn't really ever want to contact hockey with girls unless it was on skates with full equipment.

On ice it's different as girls can usually skate just as good if not better than a lot of guys, and can avoid getting hit a lot. guy was probably being a complete dick, but you could have just said "buddy, **** off and get your head in the game"
That would depend on what went on with him building up to that point for me .... if it came out of the blue after playing for a while and he wasn;t doing that then yeah but the original poster stated their team as a general whole were over roughing it from the first drop of the ball.

I would have done the same thing with this guy if it had been going on previously. Especially if someone mentioned it to them and they still did it.

But yeah I agree with you just dropping gloves and beating someone would not be cool.

For an example in one of our men's league games we were losing like 17 to 3 or something stupid like that, our goalie was awful that night as well as the team as a whole who did not do much to help him.

Well a guy scored and then hammed up a "neh-neh-nah nah nah" dance and celebrated like they won the stanley cup. Normally that in itself would not be cause to do anything other than to get a few chirps but that specific game was cheap, chippy and elbows up, sticks up etc. That was just "it" we had had enough. Right when he did that about 4 of us dropped gloves and went after him. i didn't get there first but whatever.

There is a line that can be crossed and hitting a woman and weighing 250lbs crosses it ... especially in a ball hockey game for amatures to boot.

Sometimes an ass kicking is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
I play in a coed intramural league here at school and I all I ever do when this happens, because it happens a lot cuz dumb kids don't think girls belong on the same ice anyway, is simply go over to the guy give him a little shot or maybe start a little pushing match and see what he does lol. It's different, because if we fought we would both be kicked out of the league forever, but no one has ever dropped the gloves. And I'm about your size. Maybe you overreacted a little, but that **** is just dangerous and has no place in any game yet alone a rec league coed game.
Fighting in hockey was partially devised as a tool to protect players for this very reason. if you could kick his ass it would not happen regularly unless they knew they would answer for it. I am replacing a skilled player who doesn;t fight with a female player in my analogy. basically the same difference there.

it would be nicer to see a woman drop her gloves and kick some guy's ass for a cheapshot.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
I'm pretty sure they DON'T want to be treated differently, that's why they are playing in those leagues.

To the OP, would have done the same thing if this decked a one of the smaller guys on your team....say someone not much bigger then the girl?

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 08:43 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I'm pretty sure they DON'T want to be treated differently, that's why they are playing in those leagues.

To the OP, would have done the same thing if this decked a one of the smaller guys on your team....say someone not much bigger then the girl?
speaking as a girl (despite my screen name yes, I am a girl) I'd say this poster hit the nail right on the head. I play in 2 adult hockey leagues. one is officially co-ed and the other technically isn't but there are about 20 women scattered through out the league of 40 teams. in the one that isn't co-ed it's still pretty female friendly. there are a few guys who have said moronic things like "women shouldn't be playing ice hockey." but it's usually after one of the women in the higher levels burns him like a piece of toast.
I hate it when I get cheap-shoted and a male teammate goes after the guy saying, "wtf? you don't hit a girl like that!". how about "you don't hit anybody like that!"?
I also hate it when I draw a penalty and I hear the guy say "you only called that because I hit a girl!". how about he called that because you cross-checked me down or punched me in the head?
I understand that most guys were raised to defend girls but unless you'd defend a male teammate similarly it's probably best to let your female teammates fight their own battles.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
it would be nicer to see a woman drop her gloves and kick some guy's ass for a cheapshot.
Hopefully she would have the foresight to ask someone to record it for Youtube posting.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
noobman

Really?

Most guys I know are too busy playfully hitting, then hitting on the girls to take cheap shots and whine.

I would have just called the guy fat.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Ragss

The way I see it, you overreacted by dropping the gloves immediately, but everything else was fine. It doesn't even matter so much that it was a girl team mate, if I'm playing ball hockey and a huge doofus runs over one of my smaller team mates I'm going to get in there and make sure he knows he won't be doing that again.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
OCanada

I firmly believe that you always stick up for your teammates. If it was one of your male teammates that it happened to, would you have reacted the same way? If you said "yes" then you did the right thing. If you said "no", then I think you should have let it go. JMO

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
rinkrat22

its COED. not mens league, if a woman comes out to a MENS league, maybe she should expect a little contact.but its coed so going in you KNOW there are women playing.Not to mention its ball hockey. you did the right thing, although I probably would have hit the guy I mean if your gonna drop the gloves you might as well finish the job.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:01 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That would depend on what went on with him building up to that point for me .... if it came out of the blue after playing for a while and he wasn;t doing that then yeah but the original poster stated their team as a general whole were over roughing it from the first drop of the ball.

I would have done the same thing with this guy if it had been going on previously. Especially if someone mentioned it to them and they still did it.

But yeah I agree with you just dropping gloves and beating someone would not be cool.

For an example in one of our men's league games we were losing like 17 to 3 or something stupid like that, our goalie was awful that night as well as the team as a whole who did not do much to help him.

Well a guy scored and then hammed up a "neh-neh-nah nah nah" dance and celebrated like they won the stanley cup. Normally that in itself would not be cause to do anything other than to get a few chirps but that specific game was cheap, chippy and elbows up, sticks up etc. That was just "it" we had had enough. Right when he did that about 4 of us dropped gloves and went after him. i didn't get there first but whatever.

There is a line that can be crossed and hitting a woman and weighing 250lbs crosses it ... especially in a ball hockey game for amatures to boot.

Sometimes an ass kicking is required.

Fighting in hockey was partially devised as a tool to protect players for this very reason. if you could kick his ass it would not happen regularly unless they knew they would answer for it. I am replacing a skilled player who doesn;t fight with a female player in my analogy. basically the same difference there.

I agree, I don't know if this is politically correct (but who cares sometimes...?) but sometimes, you gotta be chivalrous.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I agree, I don't know if this is politically correct (but who cares sometimes...?) but sometimes, you gotta be chivalrous.
You are correct sir...

Old
03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I'm not even going to touch the fact that this was in a "ball hockey" league...but either way:

Get a grip dude. Yes what the guy did probably warranted you getting in his face and saying something and maybe giving him a shove. But going straight to tossing down the gloves and challenging a guy (in a ball hockey league!) shows that you're either: A. some Marty McSorley wannabe whose never even scrapped before but has seen it on TV or B. madly in love with this chick on your team (who is probably butch anyways). I'm going to guess you're both.

So judging by your ball hockey comment you must be some sort of beer league superstar, hey your the man cool guy. No I'm not typically aggressive in non contact low level coed ball hockey...than again who is. I guess the next time some big ****er hits a girl on my team I'll leave him to it, seems like something you would do. Am I right?

Old
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
nullterm

So, do you have a crush on the girl?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
speaking as a girl (despite my screen name yes, I am a girl) I'd say this poster hit the nail right on the head. I play in 2 adult hockey leagues. one is officially co-ed and the other technically isn't but there are about 20 women scattered through out the league of 40 teams. in the one that isn't co-ed it's still pretty female friendly. there are a few guys who have said moronic things like "women shouldn't be playing ice hockey." but it's usually after one of the women in the higher levels burns him like a piece of toast.
I hate it when I get cheap-shoted and a male teammate goes after the guy saying, "wtf? you don't hit a girl like that!". how about "you don't hit anybody like that!"?
I also hate it when I draw a penalty and I hear the guy say "you only called that because I hit a girl!". how about he called that because you cross-checked me down or punched me in the head?
I understand that most guys were raised to defend girls but unless you'd defend a male teammate similarly it's probably best to let your female teammates fight their own battles.
Hey when I'm on the floor I don't see male or female, just teammates and opposition

If a guy would've been cranked in the corner, I'd have done the same. It happens alot in the higher mens leagues. You don't typically see this kind of play in coed. I'm not trying to come off as some sort of macho ****** bag, I simply had a bit of a run in and I wanted to know how many people would've done the same.

Old
03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
So, do you have a crush on the girl?
haha no, actually my wife plays on the team aswell.

Old
03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
hof2120

I think if anyone blatantly cheap-shotted someone on my team I'd get in their face, guy or girl. You have to stand up for your teammates.

I got suspended from my baseball league for beating the living **** out of a pitcher after he blatantly threw at (and hit) one of my teammates in the head simply because my teammate was owning him that game. The pitch to the head gave him a concussion and now he has short-term memory loss. Never once have I regretted doing it.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
rinkrat22

are you ****ers kidding me? ITS COED, the name implies that its for both sexes you ****ing **********. And let me tell you if some dickwad laid out a woman on my team I would beat the **** out of him.

And no I'm not some McSorley wanna be, but my old man taught me how to treat a woman. With ****ing respect.