HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Francois Beauchemin?

Old
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I guess he's your Spacek.
No, Beauchemin is a good defenseman.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:59 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
Might be safe to say, Beachemin maybe the biggest disapointment this season. Looked really good in pre-season, but was pretty awful the first 15-20 games. His play slowly improved, but he hasnt looked good at all during this little streak the Leafs have put together. just a quick question, has he been named to one of the 3 stars at all this year?
Anybody who got ice time the first 15 games looked pretty awful. Beauch was -9 the first 18 games thanks in great part to 25 minutes a game and the porous VT.
Only -5 in the next 58 games. Taking out the record awful start he wasn't that bad even strength. Gunnarsson wasn't up then so only White and Schenn have a plus rating including that brutal start.
The Leafs special teams are easily their weakest point. Maybe most of his gaffs are in odd man situations so they don't show up in the stats, or maybe they don't result in goals against that often. I blame Wilson for the weak pp and pk results so if Beauch is breaking down in these situations that may be due to how the coach is running him.
Not trying to make light of what has been a poor year, but it wouldn't take that much for next season to be a whole lot better for him.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:48 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

plus/minus is useless.

all Beauchemin's plus/minus this year means is that he's played on the top defensive pair all season long against the other team's top lines, playing in front of the worst goaltending in the league.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
plus/minus is useless.

all Beauchemin's plus/minus this year means is that he's played on the top defensive pair all season long against the other team's top lines, playing in front of the worst goaltending in the league.

Its actually nothing to do with stats and more observational. His decision making has been very poor at times, getting caught pinching and which results in good scoring chances the other way. Just little things in his own end, bad decisions you dont expect from a guy who came in with reputation of being a solid veteran player. The other night against Pittsburgh, just seemed that every solid scoring chance they had...he was the main culprit.

Some players, even the most experiences one's, can take time to adjust to a new team. Im hoping this is the case with Beauchemin or he's just had an off year. We really need him to be much better next season.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Its actually nothing to do with stats and more observational. His decision making has been very poor at times, getting caught pinching and which results in good scoring chances the other way. Just little things in his own end, bad decisions you dont expect from a guy who came in with reputation of being a solid veteran player. The other night against Pittsburgh, just seemed that every solid scoring chance they had...he was the main culprit. Fourth goal is scored with Kabs and Gunnar on the ice, Kabs isn't tying up Cooke or "fronting".

Some players, even the most experiences one's, can take time to adjust to a new team. Im hoping this is the case with Beauchemin or he's just had an off year. We really need him to be much better next season.
The first goal he did a good job tying up Rupp, but Hanson was asleep infront. The second goal Schenn couldn't handle Crosby and there was no support for Beauchemin on the boards. Third goal was Schenn not identifying Crosby and Bozak leaving his man, miscommunication between the two.

I think alot of the board looks and says, oh he missed that pinch, stupid Beauchemin always does that rather than looking to see the support, how it reacts and considering how effective his pinches are. He'll push-up when most d-men retreat, this may cause 1-2 odd man rushes a game, but it also negates twice as many, if not more. If he's in the neutral zone and has either support or a legit shot at delaying the forward, he's pinching. Sometimes it burns him, but more often than not, it works out in the Leafs favour.

He spends half the game on the ice, logic says half the scoring chances against us, will come with him on the ice. The blame just seems to be working its way to him for some reason. Beauchemin's far from perfect, he does make mistakes, but more often than not his gambles end up working in our favour.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Vinh

I have to disagree with this claim that he prevents twice as many odd-man rushes as he allows. Most of the neutral zone pinches are on lobs or chip outs which wouldn't amount to anything substantial for the opposition. Of course, his play has denied some scoring opportunities but it's created just as many -- at the very least -- when there wasn't anything there to begin with.

As for his performance against Pittsburgh, I wouldn't pin the blame on him for any of the Pens goals other than maybe the first Sid tally where he essentially passed the puck to Orpik despite time and space to make a smarter play.

Not to stir the pot or anything, but this statement from earlier in the thread really bothers me: "c'mon Leaf fans..seriously it's hard to debate or make valid points when you are clearly biased against someone." Most of the points made regarding Beauchemin have been perfectly valid yet they're continually dismissed. I like Beauch, I feel he could be a very good dman if he tweaks his decision-making. I also think he's played quite poorly this year and have stated the rationale behind this position. I guess I'm clearly biased though.

Vinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The first goal he did a good job tying up Rupp, but Hanson was asleep infront. The second goal Schenn couldn't handle Crosby and there was no support for Beauchemin on the boards. Third goal was Schenn not identifying Crosby and Bozak leaving his man, miscommunication between the two.

I think alot of the board looks and says, oh he missed that pinch, stupid Beauchemin always does that rather than looking to see the support, how it reacts and considering how effective his pinches are. He'll push-up when most d-men retreat, this may cause 1-2 odd man rushes a game, but it also negates twice as many, if not more. If he's in the neutral zone and has either support or a legit shot at delaying the forward, he's pinching. Sometimes it burns him, but more often than not, it works out in the Leafs favour.

He spends half the game on the ice, logic says half the scoring chances against us, will come with him on the ice. The blame just seems to be working its way to him for some reason. Beauchemin's far from perfect, he does make mistakes, but more often than not his gambles end up working in our favour.

IIRC, on the first goal he iced the puck. They had a face-off which was won and Beauchemin had it on his stick and turned it over, the puck went out front and a rather harmless looking shot went in.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
IIRC, on the first goal he iced the puck. They had a face-off which was won and Beauchemin had it on his stick and turned it over, the puck went out front and a rather harmless looking shot went in.
The play came off a dump-in where Sjostrom beat him both Beauchemin and Rupp to the puck. It slid by Beauchemin where he ands Rupp were waiting for the puck, Beauchemin had Rupp tied up, but Rupp reached down and used his hand to create some seperatation, fanned on his first centering pass, chipped the second one over Giggy's stick onto the other Penguins stick (not sure who) as Hanson was standing beside him just watching the play.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Anybody who got ice time the first 15 games looked pretty awful. Beauch was -9 the first 18 games thanks in great part to 25 minutes a game and the porous VT.
Only -5 in the next 58 games. Taking out the record awful start he wasn't that bad even strength. Gunnarsson wasn't up then so only White and Schenn have a plus rating including that brutal start.
The Leafs special teams are easily their weakest point. Maybe most of his gaffs are in odd man situations so they don't show up in the stats, or maybe they don't result in goals against that often. I blame Wilson for the weak pp and pk results so if Beauch is breaking down in these situations that may be due to how the coach is running him.
Not trying to make light of what has been a poor year, but it wouldn't take that much for next season to be a whole lot better for him.
This should all improve with a team unit now in place.

Gunnarsson, Schenn, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Kaberle, and Phaneuf. Out of those six, only Schenn and Kaberle played together before Burke was here. Next year, the defence will have a year under its belt and will vastly improve. This carries over to both the PK and PP.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
It actually kinda makes sense.

A team has player A and player B. The fans ***** and complain about how overpaid and terrible player A is and how player B is the much better option. The team then gets rid of player A and player B takes his role. The fans who previously *****ed and complained about how terrible Player A is, begin to complain about how ****** Player B is and how great Player A was when he was here. Try to follow all of that.
NHL players are not as good as we think they are going to be when we get our information from generalized perspectives, hearsay or biased sources, likely because we have unrealistic standards/expectations in comparison to other fan bases. We both have different interpretations of "good", to make it simple. Ducks fans say that player A was "good", so we assume that their "good" is the same interpretation as ours, and we apply our preconceptions. This results in disappointment when he doesn't fit our image night in, night out.
What do you guys think, did Beauch really play better when he was in California or is it just the fault of Torontonians that he appears to be worse?

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Well for the most part Kubina actually was better than Beauchemin has been so far, so sometimes player A is better than player B.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
Well for the most part Kubina actually was better than Beauchemin has been so far, so sometimes player A is better than player B.
I disagree. Beauchemin has his bad moments but Kubina's first year with this team was a disaster. And for anyone complaining about Beachemin's mobility, it is far better than Kubina's. And at 3/4 the cap hit.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The play came off a dump-in where Sjostrom beat him both Beauchemin and Rupp to the puck. It slid by Beauchemin where he ands Rupp were waiting for the puck, Beauchemin had Rupp tied up, but Rupp reached down and used his hand to create some seperatation, fanned on his first centering pass, chipped the second one over Giggy's stick onto the other Penguins stick (not sure who) as Hanson was standing beside him just watching the play.
You're right, I was thinking of Saturday's game, the weak goal Gustavsson let in when Beauchemin iced the puck and then gave it away on the face-off.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Superstar

Just saw the highlights of Wilson's press conference and he was ticked at Beauchemin (and Kaberle)..."we handed the game to Atlanta" was his comment and I have to agree. Atlanta was flat and we gave the game away on a nothing-nothing game at the time: case in point, Beauchemin's weak little backhand off the boards to an Atlanta player that lead to the 1st goal -- it was pathetic really (reviewed it in the game-in-six highlights at the Maple Leafs site).

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Just saw the highlights of Wilson's press conference and he was ticked at Beauchemin (and Kaberle)..."we handed the game to Atlanta" was his comment and I have to agree. Atlanta was flat and we gave the game away on a nothing-nothing game at the time: case in point, Beauchemin's weak little backhand off the boards to an Atlanta player that lead to the 1st goal -- it was pathetic really (reviewed it in the game-in-six highlights at the Maple Leafs site).
He has a few of those flubs every game.

Didn't think I would be able to say it this year, but Luke should give Beauch some lessons on how to move the puck out of the defensive end.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You're right, I was thinking of Saturday's game, the weak goal Gustavsson let in when Beauchemin iced the puck and then gave it away on the face-off.
The one where everyone was in good position and Gustavsson just missed the puck? I wouldn't be too worried about defensive misplays there.

Beauchemin was responsible for the first goal last night, but made 3-4 nice pinches to break-up plays before they evolved into odd man rushes. Doesn't excuse his poor decision on that play though. Wilson pointed to his poor pinch and Hanson not rotating down for that particular goal and it's hard to disagree with him on it.

Old
03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Dark Passenger

Ive watched Beachemin closely the past few games, which isnt isnt easy from the view of your couch, and one thing Ive noticed is that he seems a little unsure when he gets the puck. In other words, his decision making isnt as quick as it should. He could certainly improve by putting a bit more intensity in his game and keeping things a little more simple. I half wonder if he's been watching Kaberle too much, and thinking that being composed and and not panicking is the way to play. I'd also like to see him step it up in the physical department and play with more of an edge.

Wilson and Burke made comments at the beginning of the season that both Beach and Komisarek were trying too hard to impress after joining new team and this was hurting them. I also tend to think that Beauchemin is 3rd/4th defeneceman on most teams, but is getting top two ice time here in Toronto, which may also be contributing to him struggling.

Ive said before, would like to see both Phaneauf and Schenn be the top pairing next year, and moving Beach down the pecking order a little.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the loonie View Post
I disagree. Beauchemin has his bad moments but Kubina's first year with this team was a disaster. And for anyone complaining about Beachemin's mobility, it is far better than Kubina's. And at 3/4 the cap hit.
Kubina is and was not slow. If his first year was a disaster, what's Beauchemin's first year? A walk in the park?

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
Kubina is and was not slow. If his first year was a disaster, what's Beauchemin's first year? A walk in the park?

How can you even take the poster who claims that Beauchemin is better than Kubina...farce. What sport does he watch.. Beauchemin is soooo over-rated and is actually pretty horrible. Faster than Kubina? When? When they were 8 year olds? Simply put....Beauchemin was a horrible Burke signing (didnt seem so at the time but in retrospect....) and the Kubina deal was just plain AWFUL..

Who would I rather have? Kubina or Beauchemin/Komisarek? No contest....Give me Kubina and his bloated contract over these two UFA's.....7 days a week.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Wilson and Burke made comments at the beginning of the season that both Beach and Komisarek were trying too hard to impress after joining new team and this was hurting them. I also tend to think that Beauchemin is 3rd/4th defeneceman on most teams, but is getting top two ice time here in Toronto, which may also be contributing to him struggling.

Ive said before, would like to see both Phaneauf and Schenn be the top pairing next year, and moving Beach down the pecking order a little.
He's gotten huge ice-time since the lock-out ended incuding some very strong Anahiem teams. Not sure you can say it's the TOI that is contributing to his struggles.