HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee "popped"

Old
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I dont know if it needs surgery or not, I need to make an appointment with an orthopedic today, so I'm hoping I'll be seen Friday/Monday. I'm hoping It wont require surgery, but if it does..well, theres nothing I can really do about it other than tough it out. I'll be playing again, I bought new equipment the day this happened and I'll be damned if it goes to waste. In the meantime I'm trying to get my friend to play, so we're shopping skates at the moment. Head over to the "which skates are best thread" if you can help us out
Well I had a partial tear before and there was no surgery required, so I guess you can hold out of hope for that.

I won't be able to help on the skates b/c I only play ice & floor no roller, but good luck.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

That sucks, I hope all goes well.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

Im in the same boat man. I got the results of my mRI Friday. I have torn cartilage which will require surgury and a recovery time of 4-6 weeks. And heres the big one...torn ACL which requires major surgury and an estimated recover time of 9-12 months.

I'm pissed to say the least as I had rotator cuff surgury this time last year. Which kept me off the ice for over 2 months.

The doc said the ACL surguey MAY not have to be done. He said if I strengthen the muscles around the knee that may be enough.

I asked him if I would play hockey again without the ACL surgury he said the chances are good. He told me the John Elway played almost his whole career with a torn ACL. I dont need to compete on anywhere near that level so im hopeful. I just want to play shinny or rec hockey.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
Im in the same boat man. I got the results of my mRI Friday. I have torn cartilage which will require surgury and a recovery time of 4-6 weeks. And heres the big one...torn ACL which requires major surgury and an estimated recover time of 9-12 months.

I'm pissed to say the least as I had rotator cuff surgury this time last year. Which kept me off the ice for over 2 months.

The doc said the ACL surguey MAY not have to be done. He said if I strengthen the muscles around the knee that may be enough.

I asked him if I would play hockey again without the ACL surgury he said the chances are good. He told me the John Elway played almost his whole career with a torn ACL. I dont need to compete on anywhere near that level so im hopeful. I just want to play shinny or rec hockey.
I was told something similar. My Dr explained it as, you don't need an ACL for your knee to function properly. If the other 3 ligaments are strong and healthy they will hold the knee in place. I had no choice though. I sprained my LCL at the same I tore my ACL.

If you choose not to do it (pretty big commitment) you may end up wearing a brace for greater stability.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Damn man I'm so sorry

is there anything you can do to minimize the pain while playing and can you even play on it?
Just saw this question, and had to throw this in again: you really cannot keep playing on a partially torn ligament, or else you will just eventually completely tear it. Partially torn ligaments will eventually heal, but fully torn ligaments will never heal and will only be fixed by surgery and lengthy rehab. Please, do not play on a partially torn ligament.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Just saw this question, and had to throw this in again: you really cannot keep playing on a partially torn ligament, or else you will just eventually completely tear it. Partially torn ligaments will eventually heal, but fully torn ligaments will never heal and will only be fixed by surgery and lengthy rehab. Please, do not play on a partially torn ligament.

Oh I know, Im not playing on it. I'm not even walking without a cane, not because I *need* it, but I'm uncomfortable walking without it right now. I dont mind walking across the house without it, but I dont even want to do that for fear of falling and hurting it further.

Dont worry though, I wont even think about playing on it till the doc says I can, or at the very least, some sort of time frame he gives me. (if he says 4-6 months, Ill try to skate around without playing around month 2 or so, just to keep my feet)

edit: the only thing Im doing hockeywise is watching it, and playing around with my smart hockey ball

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
So I got the results of the MRI back today and:

High grade partial tear of the ACL.

FML.
That sucks dude, sorry to hear that. Have you heard back regarding surgery or not?

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
That sucks dude, sorry to hear that. Have you heard back regarding surgery or not?

nope I have a consult scheduled for the 19th of April, and if surgery is needed, I'm going to schedule it for after my semester ends (may 25th)

Old
05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

So I just got surgery, and I'm back homje, just thought Id let you all know it went fine, and I hope to start playing again soon

Old
05-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Good luck on the rehab process- when you say soon, what is your expected recovery time?

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Good luck on the rehab process- when you say soon, what is your expected recovery time?
He told me, but I forgot. I think he said 6 months till unrestricted sports

Old
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
While we are on the subject of knees I'd like to throw out my situation and see what people say. A couple years ago [2-3] my right knee started popping. It didn't bother me at first, I only had to pop it maybe once every half hour or so. Then, maybe a year after my right knee started, my left started. Fast forward and about a year ago I went to my doctor and he sent me to get some MRI's done. High grade partial thickness tear of my ACL on my right knee and low grade on my left. I constantly have to kick my knees out [the right more than the left] to relieve pressure that I can feel inside my knee. It also, sucks big time trying to go from sitting or laying down on a floor to standing up.

I thought, "okay, well things are torn and that must mean surgery right?". Wrong. I went to an Orthopedic surgeon [is that the name?] and he told me that "some people's knees pop". I took a year off from playing hockey while I did some physical therapy type stuff. Nothing. I went on a cruise to the Carribbean with my g/f and for some reason for like the first two weeks we were back home my knees were ALMOST fine. They still popped, but not as much [WTF]. They slowly started to degrade to where they were when we left. So, my question to anyone is "what the hell do I do?" Has anyone ever heard of this? Do I have to live with it? My knees only bug me when I'm standing or sitting still. When I play hockey [I have HUGE knee pads that have a lot of support and protection] they don't bug me at all unless I'm standing in one position on the bench.

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Well to the above poster, my doctor (surgeon) had told me that some people can still play sports while having an ACL tear. Its a low population, but you seem to be one of the few. He told me that the people that can play likee that often feel iscomfort after playing, or it will pop in and out, but nothing that they cant live with. He then told me that most people like that elect to get surgery just because they dont want to deal with the annoyance. Anyway, thats what it sounds like to me

Old
05-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
Quote:
Well to the above poster, my doctor (surgeon) had told me that some people can still play sports while having an ACL tear. Its a low population, but you seem to be one of the few. He told me that the people that can play likee that often feel iscomfort after playing, or it will pop in and out, but nothing that they cant live with. He then told me that most people like that elect to get surgery just because they dont want to deal with the annoyance. Anyway, thats what it sounds like to me
Yeah, I think I've heard that before too. The thing that bugs me the most is, I was specifically told that surgery will not do anything for me. How is that possible?

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:18 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Sounds like you could use a second opinion more than anything else.

Btw, Steve, good to hear you had successful surgery Good luck with rehab, stick with it and you'll be fine!

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Well good luck wuith the rehab and I am glad you could get that done.

My partial bicep tendon tear is okay almost one year later without surgery, the surrounding muscles are bigger to compensate and yes there is some annoyance with one bicep being 25% weaker than the other.

The tear affects the screwdriver motion of the bicep and did not affect shots in hockey thankfully.

I am sure you will be absolutely perfect after your surgery is healed and rehabbed.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote