HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHANTOMS and 2010 Flyers Prospect Discussion Thread - Bring on the Future

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Popov could be the guy to come in and win a spot on the Flyers. Esepcially if one of Hartnell/Briere are traded
I think Testwuide. According to the article and other sources, if he trains hard and rests well, he has a very good chance of making. Supposedly he is NHL ready

Old
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Added a bio for Gustafsson.

Also, the Flyers signed RW Mario Valery-Trabucco and Chris Clackson(brother to Matt) to tryout contracts with the Phantoms a few days ago, didn't see this anywhere.

http://www.poststar.com/app/blogs/?cat=784

Here their stats, looks like Valery-Trabucco is a scorer and Clackson is a scrapper like his brother.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=97857

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=81069

These two signings apparently stemmed from the fact that Bourdon and Matt Clackson are both our for 2 weeks, and Beaulieu and Stephenson are both banged up.
Yea posted this in the other thread. One guy is from Union (the rival of my college). Their just AHL deals.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Testwuide and Gustafsson are both on this list from early March by HF of 10 best NCAA free agents

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/

And Popov is listed as 6'0, I doubt he is like JVR

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 03-31-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
And Popov is listed as 6'0, I doubt he is like JVR
He's nowhere near as skilled as JVR, but as a "power-forward" he's similar. When I say nowhere near, I mean he's lesser than JVR in everything.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's nowhere near as skilled as JVR, but as a "power-forward" he's similar. When I say nowhere near, I mean he's lesser than JVR in everything.
but is he actually only 6'0? (from hockeydb) doesn't sound big to me.

Goal by him starting at 1:03

Only video I could find of him so far

Old
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
but is he actually only 6'0? (from hockeydb) doesn't sound big to me.

Goal by him starting at 1:03

Only video I could find of him so far
He's bigger in the upper body than the lower body, and yes, 6'0 seems about right. It's hard to tell because I've seen him listed anywhere from 5'11 to 6'1.

There are plenty of places that have him listed as a power-forward, but he's really not a typical one. It's pretty hard to describe exactly what he is.

He definitely has some offensive skill, but he's nothing spectacular offensively. He's definitely not solid defensively from what I've been told. Hard to get a true read on him because the vast majority of what I have for him are goal highlights since I don't exactly have the luxury of watching the KHL often.

He's an interesting prospect, but to get a real read on what he can do, I need to get him over here.

EDIT: Here's some stuff on him written by Russian hockey analysts, people who see him often:

HF

Quote:
Scout: Possesses a very good vision of the ice…controls and protects the puck well…possesses a precise wrist shot… above average passer…needs to improve his skating – his acceleration and start speed...also needs to improve his skating technique… effectively uses his size to his advantage, can hit, but does not necessarily look for the physical contact…doesn’t stay away from traffic…has a very good work ethic… player, who can become a power forward similar to Keith Primeau…defensively, he is a winger, so doesn’t come back on defense as much, instead looking to go on the offensive…Traktor’s head coach Tsygurov taught him how to play better defensively this season in the High League (Russia 2).
This is what appears to be an older one taken from RussianProspects.com, where some HF writers double:

Quote:
Scout 1: a smooth skater with a fluid stride and solid acceleration...plays with above-average agility...possesses a decent balance, but still should strengthen his lower-body...should keep his feet moving more so than he does now...can be often caught flat-footed...boasts a soft pair of hands which control the puck smoothly...can surprise his opponents with quick moves...a solid player in one-on-one situations...doesn't play a physically intimidating style...lacks enough strength to be a quality traffic player...uses his stick instead of his body in tight spaces...a decent accurate passer but doesn't always read the plays well...an average forechecker...should show up in front of the opposing net more often and fire the puck more often...possesses a precise wrist shot...above average slap shot which could be more accurate...his intensity off the puck drops off...tends to be very passive and uninvolved in the game...doesn't show much commitment to the defensive play...too slow at marking his man...can be caught off position in the defensive end...immense talent, but needs to show more motivation on the ice.

Scout 2: Possesses a very good vision of the ice...controls and protects the puck well...possesses a precise wrist shot... above average passer...needs to improve his skating
More from RP from his draft outlook back in 2006:

Quote:
Rank 1: #3
Rank 2: #2 Ranking Comments: Popov is widely considered the Russian with the most potential in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, but despite his success with Traktor, his lack of success at the recent U18 tournament and his general skating shortcomings have prevented him from taking over the top spot.
Rank 3: #3 Ranking Comments: Popov remains the forward with the most potential to come out of Russia in 2006. The young winger is already performing well at the professional adult level in the High League (Russia 2) with Traktor. While he did not enjoy a very successful showing at the U18 World Junior Championships, a lot of it had to do with not having a consistent line, with his center Mamin constantly being moved back to defense due to Russia's defensive vows. Popov possesses impressive size and skill to go along with a developed ability to play in traffic and use his size. However, to continue his development, Popov needs to use his line mates better and to become more aggressive.
I'm getting a LOT of mixed signals about this kid. Maybe he's a power-forward type of player in Russia who wouldn't work in that kind of role here, but he's the kind of "floater" that JVR was described as back when he was in college. A big body (though he doesn't seem gigantic) that doesn't appear to do much with his legs and works all upper body.

Last edited by CS: 03-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old
03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
It seems like Eriksson himself really wants to come over and get his shot. I like that he's excited to get himself over here, but the last thing I want is to rush him.
is there an option for him in jrs? he could transition to the smaller rinks while competing against guys at his age range. still gives him another year to develop and might give him an easier time in the ahl. be alot easier to follow his progression if he was on this side of the pond too. and if he dominates againt the competition there i dont think confidence is a bad thing for a young goaltender.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
is there an option for him in jrs? he could transition to the smaller rinks while competing against guys at his age range. still gives him another year to develop and might give him an easier time in the ahl. be alot easier to follow his progression if he was on this side of the pond too. and if he dominates againt the competition there i dont think confidence is a bad thing for a young goaltender.
I'm completely against tossing him to the juniors. What would dropping him into a lesser league do for him? It wouldn't give him a challenge or incentive to work harder to progress. It could help his confidence, but other than that, the CHL does nothing for him.

Old
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
I'm completely against tossing him to the juniors. What would dropping him into a lesser league do for him? It wouldn't give him a challenge or incentive to work harder to progress. It could help his confidence, but other than that, the CHL does nothing for him.
hockeywise sure but i think a step down might be better when you consider how much away from the rink hell be adjusting to, the language, moving away from home etc. it doesnt seem that big a deal but it can be alot when you have the big hockey stuff on your plate moving up in the competition level and adjusting to the smaller rink. so you split those tasks in half. we tend to downplay how much moving halfway across the globe can have on a 19 year old kid. if hes dead set on coming over i think that would be the better option then throwing him in on the phantoms. i think the sel is best but if thats not an option id try and find the best situation for him.

Last edited by captainpaxil: 03-31-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old
03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
All Swedes speak English. . . Swedish is not actually the national language of the country. . . they don't technically have one . . . just a fun fact for you.

Old
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
I have a couple of friends who live in Russia and watch a ton of hockey and from what they said hes finally starting to put his talent together and hitting his stride offensively. they did point out that a power forward in Russia is not the same as a power forward in the NA, its not a big body in front of the net crashing and banging.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Update-

Harper had a goal on the 26th in a 4-0 Everett win to give them the 3-2 series lead. Also had a goal in a 5-4 Everett loss to Kelowna to force a Game 7. In game 7, Everett fell 2-1 with Harper assisting on the only goal. He finished with a very solid 6 goals and 4 assists for 10 points in 7 playoff games.

Brandon and Saskatoon are facing off in the next round of the playoffs, and their first game is going to be tonight. It's a matchup of DeSerres vs. Morrison, but I don't think Morrison will be getting much if any time at all.

The 2nd round of OHL playoffs begins tonight. Wellwood and Windsor will be facing Plymouth, and Pither and Barrie will be facing Brampton.

Riopel shut out Cape Breton 4-0 on the 27th, allowing Moncton to move onto the next round. Moncton will face Rouyn-Noranda in the next round, their first game is tomorrow.

Shawinigan was eliminated by Victoriaville on the 28th, 4-2, Labrecque did not play.

Old
04-01-2010, 04:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Harper and Gustafsson both joining the Phantoms. Harper #7, Gustafsson #36.

On a side note, I'm starting to wonder how we're going to handle Labrecque.

Old
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Let's get Blake Geoffrion. He's Boom Boom Geoffrion's grandson, I just think it would be cool to get him lol.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523564

Old
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He's Nashville property.

Old
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1425
NOTE: The Phantoms' thread is about to close since it is approaching 1,000 posts. Instead of opening a similar thread, all Phantoms-related talk can be discussed in here.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-02-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old
04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Bring on the future is right, we need it right now .

Old
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
He's Nashville property.
Oh... I shoud've read the whole blurb.

Old
04-02-2010, 09:05 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Article on TESTWEED

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Old
04-02-2010, 04:10 PM
goalby66

Send a message via ICQ to goalby66
I know a lot of people tend to think Matsumoto should get a chance in Philly, but obviously won't with the depth that the Flyers have at center. With him becoming an RFA, do you think he will be let go or will maybe switch to playing a wing position to help his cause?

I've seen a bunch of Phantom games this year. Yeah, he's small. Not very physical. He obviously isn't going to be a top 6 player, but I think he find a role in the bottom 6. He's out there in every situation...makes little sense for him to spend more time with the organization if he is going to be stuck in the AHL for the for foreseeable future.

Old
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalby66 View Post
I know a lot of people tend to think Matsumoto should get a chance in Philly, but obviously won't with the depth that the Flyers have at center. With him becoming an RFA, do you think he will be let go or will maybe switch to playing a wing position to help his cause?

I've seen a bunch of Phantom games this year. Yeah, he's small. Not very physical. He obviously isn't going to be a top 6 player, but I think he find a role in the bottom 6. He's out there in every situation...makes little sense for him to spend more time with the organization if he is going to be stuck in the AHL for the for foreseeable future.
Honestly, I think that some of our redundant RFAs like Syvret and Matsumoto might get moved to the highest bidder this offseason just to clear up room for Holmgren's AHL restructuring project.

Old
04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I want Stephane De Costa... 20 yr old French dude who destroyed it in Merrimack as a freshman

Old
04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Carter Hutton released from his ATO, cause he is exploreing other options. Brian Stewart was signed

Old
04-02-2010, 06:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Carter Hutton released from his ATO, cause he is exploreing other options. Brian Stewart was signed
There goes my twitter background.

Old
04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
There goes my twitter background.
Just made a thread about it. I was googling it and some are saying he is going to sign an ELC with another team.

Oh and also:
Quote:
Shane Harper is dressed for warmups, wearing No. 7. Valery-Trabucco, Gustafsson, and C. Clackson not on ice.
-PSPhantoms

Closed Thread