HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo on Oilers lunch Today

Old
03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Gusher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
An interesting interview.
What would be an interesting interview from Tambellini, in your opinion?

He can't talk about getting rid of certain players.

He can't talk about what players he might want to trade for.

He can't talk about what players he wants to draft.

Not sure what else the guy is supposed to do. Sure is tough to please you 95% of the time. Others too.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
An interesting interview.
Then why even bother tuning in to an interview with an NHL GM?

Care to list some topics or specific questions that you would find interesting?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
What would be an interesting interview from Tambellini, in your opinion?

He can't talk about getting rid of certain players.

He can't talk about what players he might want to trade for.

He can't talk about what players he wants to draft.

Not sure what else the guy is supposed to do. Sure is tough to please you 95% of the time. Others too.
My point exactly.

What's the point in interviewing a guy who can't answer the questions people want answered the most?

To answer your question, I don't think it's possible to have an interesting interview with Tambellini.

GMs are gagged all the time anyway, and he's got the personality of a walnut.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
My point exactly.

What's the point in interviewing a guy who can't answer the questions people want answered the most?

To answer your question, I don't think it's possible to have an interesting interview with Tambellini.

It's better then Stauffer going into an hour long debate with fans about Horcoff.

On the GM part, there has been some GM's like Holland and Howson that are real interesting to listen to.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Seachd

Quote:
My point exactly.

If you already know that then why are you tuning in to an interview with a GM expecting anything different?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
reginaoil

I can't believe no one has picked up on him tipping his hand that he will select Seguin not Hall. He basically came out and said it, yet people are freaking out that he even brought up Fowlers name.

-Comparing Hall Vs. Seguin to Chris Gratton Vs. Jason Arnott. Nice!
Apparently Gratton was more physically mature than Arnott at the time and dominated him in a playoff series but Arnott turned out better.

Hall is the more physically mature..

How could he come out and more clearly say that he is picking Seguin in this type of interview?....

That looked like a strong hint IMO, I'll be shocked if he was saying that for no point.

Last edited by reginaoil: 03-31-2010 at 05:50 PM.
reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
I can't believe no one has picked up on him tipping his hand that he will select Seguin not Hall. He basically came out and said it, yet people are freaking out that he even brought up Fowlers name.

Apparently Gratton was more physically mature than Arnott at the time and dominated him in a playoff series but Arnott turned out better.

Hall is the more physically mature if you don't know...

How could he come out and more clearly say that he is picking Seguin in this type of interview?....
That indeed is a pretty scary bad comparison. If Tambo really thinks Hall's future will mimic Gratton's I am very frightened for the future of our franchise.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
If you already know that then why are you tuning in to an interview with a GM expecting anything different?
I didn't tune in.

I read the painfully predictable updates in this thread and made my own conclusion.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That indeed is a pretty scary bad comparison. If Tambo really thinks Hall's future will mimic Gratton's I am very frightened for the future of our franchise.
This is just a guess, but I think he wants Seguin and if he doesn't get him with trade down for Fowler. That's how I interpret that interview...(hence why Fowler is being brought up often even though it is supposed to be a two man race in the eyes of fans).

Edit: We are deep at LW and need a franchise C or D more than another LW especially with MPS, Eberle, Omark, Penner etc there.

Last edited by reginaoil: 03-31-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Hall is the more physically mature..

That looked like a strong hint IMO, I'll be shocked if he was saying that for no point.
I am not sure I would read anything into this right now. They don't even have the first pick yet and even if they did I doubt that any GM would be so obvious with how they want to play it out.

Quote:
This is just a guess, but I think he wants Seguin and if he doesn't get him with trade down for Fowler. That's how I interpret that interview...(hence why Fowler is being brought up often even though it is supposed to be a two man race in the eyes of fans).
Unless the deal is ridiculous, bypassing Hall for Fowler would be a PR disaster for the team. Hard to see that it would not result in a big exodous of fans.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Chirs Gratton
1991-92 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 62 27 39 66
1992-93 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 58 55 54 109

Tyler Seguin
2008-09 Plymouth Whalers OHL 61 21 46 67
2009-10 Plymouth Whalers OHL 63 48 58 106

Taylor Hall
2007-08 Windsor Spitfires OHL 63 45 39 84
2008-09 Windsor Spitfires OHL 63 38 52 90
2009-10 Windsor Spitfires OHL 57 40 66 106

Who seems closer to Gratton?

Old
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
It isn't exactly a far fetched comparison, lets not forget that Gratton was highly touted center that went third overall in a very deep draft.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:59 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It isn't exactly a far fetched comparison, lets not forget that Gratton was highly touted center that went third overall in a very deep draft.
Didn't Philly give him $10 mill a season when he was younger before he had proven himself also? He was highly touted.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:59 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
I sure hope you're wrong. If that is his plan I will pull my hair out give up on the Oilers until all of management is replaced. To not be interested in the near consensus number 1 screams insanity/idiocy to me.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I am not sure I would read anything into this right now. They don't even have the first pick yet and even if they did I doubt that any GM would be so obvious with how they want to play it out.

Unless the deal is ridiculous, bypassing Hall for Fowler would be a PR disaster for the team. Hard to see that it would not result in a big exodous of fans.
Didn't the Islanders do the same thing last season. Media even thought they were leaning towards Duchene.

03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Chirs Gratton

Tyler Seguin

Taylor Hall

Tyler Seguin. I believe Hall is closer to a comparrison of Arnott.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:03 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Chirs Gratton

Tyler Seguin

Taylor Hall

Edited to show the first two years for all players. If one is the same as Gratton, another is much worse.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
I sure hope you're wrong. If that is his plan I will pull my hair out give up on the Oilers until all of management is replaced. To not be interested in the near consensus number 1 screams insanity/idiocy to me.
I hope I am wrong also about my interpretation of what he means,but that's what I see in what he was saying.

Old
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Not the point at all, just that Hall is more physically mature like Gratton was, while Seguin isn't as mature like Arnott was. So he's covering the bases in case Hall overplays Seguin badly by saying that Hall is more mature at the moment but Seguin will likely end up being the better player. IF Hall is considered more physically mature, which IMO he is. Not that Hall is like Gratton or than Seguin is like Arnott

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

It won't matter who the Oilers draft, they will be criticized for it and that's a guarantee. They'll be crititicized if they win the draft lottery and draft Hall instead of Seguin. They'll be critiiczed if they draft Seguin instead of Hall. If they lose the draft lottery, they'll be criticized if they draft Hall/Seguin instead of Fowler. The Oilers will be criticized for who they draft no matter what.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I hope I am wrong also about my interpretation of what he means,but that's what I see in what he was saying.
I would be beyond pissed if we passed on either of the top 2 forwards to draft Fowler.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Edited to show the first two years for all players. If one is the same as Gratton, another is much worse.
So it's more fair to show the draft season for two of them and only up to the year before draft eligibility for another? Hall played in the OHL earlier then both Seguin and Gratton, I don't see why that should be held against him.

My whole point was that Hall has dominated the O since he got there while guys like Seguin and Gratton only had the one good year (so far for Seguin)

Old
03-31-2010, 06:12 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
It won't matter who the Oilers draft, they will be criticized for it and that's a guarantee. They'll be crititicized if they win the draft lottery and draft Hall instead of Seguin. They'll be critiiczed if they draft Seguin instead of Hall. If they lose the draft lottery, they'll be criticized if they draft Hall/Seguin instead of Fowler. The Oilers will be criticized for who they draft no matter what.
You will not find a group of people who will all agree on on thing in most aspects of life. I wouldn't expect everyone to pick the same player.

I actually would be able to understand if they wanted Seguin but fell to second and decided to trade down for Fowler and probably a nice additional pick or player aslo.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
So it's more fair to show the draft season for two of them and only up to the year before draft eligibility for another? Hall played in the OHL earlier then both Seguin and Gratton, I don't see why that should be held against him.

My whole point was that Hall has dominated the O since he got there while guys like Seguin and Gratton only had the one good year (so far for Seguin)
Ok, you didn't mention how the age factored into your comparison. I see your point more clearly now.

View Post
Chirs Gratton

Tyler Seguin

Taylor Hall

Old
03-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Wheatking

It should be pointed out that it was Stauffer, not Tambellini, that made the Gratton/Arnott comparison.

Wheatking is online now   Reply With Quote