HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

New computer help

Old
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

vCash: 500
New computer help

I just got a new Dell laptop today and they have my 500gig hard drive partitioned into four different parts. The main C drive only has 50 gig allocated, the D drive has 300, then I have a recovery drive, and 100gig that is just listed as free space.

I'm so confused on how to use these partitions. Everything I install would seem to go on the C drive, no? So shouldn't that be much larger than 50. Is there a way I can make the drives bigger/smaller; or is there something else I should do..

The PC has Windows 7 if that helps. Thanks in advance..

this is even more sad because I used to be somewhat tech savvy not so long ago...

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Kestrel

Windows 7 should allow you to expand partition sizes... I seem to remember it being quirky when I tried doing it myself though. It seems that what partition I reduced or removed had an impact on what one I could increase - if I remember correctly, getting rid of D: would let you expand C: - but you can't take your other empty space, and add it to C: - you can only add it to D: unless you remove D: first.

That said - you CAN install programs to drive D:. My non-game programs generally get installed to C: while my games go to D: (and some are already on E while my media files are on F:. If I get the SSD drive I eventually want to get, it'll become C:, I'll unpartition my one drive, and run it as D: and use it for games, and run my other drive as E: and still use it for media files.

Edit: Just to clarify, I think the reason that changing partition size is quirky is that all the space in a partition needs to be sequential. Still, it would be nice if Windows would let you decide what end of the partition you were changing, so you could make things sequential, and get the changes you want.

Last edited by Kestrel: 03-30-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I would leave the partition sizes and just select D:, E:, F: or whatever when installing stuff. It helps to make you acutely aware of your space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Edit: Just to clarify, I think the reason that changing partition size is quirky is that all the space in a partition needs to be sequential. Still, it would be nice if Windows would let you decide what end of the partition you were changing, so you could make things sequential, and get the changes you want.
^Thats right.

I do pretty much the same thing you do, though I don't even put non game programs on C. I go C (OS, around 40 gig). After that I do 100 gig partitions as needed and leave the unused space unallocated. I also have a My documents drive, usually Z, though some programs don't like that.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:41 AM
Bobby Orr
The End

I recently ran out of space on a 30GB C partition, and that was primarily just Win7 64. (Windows folder + hiber file = 22GB)

I came across these:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...tion-in-vista/

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ta-in-windows/

Problem with the first link - even after shrinking D, and ensuring the empty space was sequential, it wouldn't allow me to expand C. (The comments indicate others with the same problem)

Problem with the second link - it won't work with 64-bit Windows.

I eventually ended up downloading this:
http://partedmagic.com/

It was slow to scan the partitions, but it worked - my C is now up to 50GB, taking space from D.

If you do try this, make sure you backup important stuff to a secondary machine.

Bobby Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Or you could do what I do and buy a second driver. 500 for around 80 or less. Then build from scratch. Then you can do whatever you want with the drive and always have a backup system ready to go.

If you ever have what appears to be hardware problems, pop in the original drive and see if it's repeatable. If it is and you need Dell support you have a drive in it's original state that you know is good for them to troubleshoot with and can't blame it on you.

Cheap backup and peace of mind for me.

I am getting a new XPS 16 i7 820QM in the mail next Wednesday and it's the first thing I will do after booting up the original, checking everything out and registering it.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Kestrel

Getting a second drive should actually be pretty cheap. The following prices are in Canadian dollars, but should give you a decent idea... I've been seeing 2TB drives for $130-$140ish... the latest 1.5TB drive I bought was $99... I've seen some 1TB drives for 80 or 90ish... I use up a lot of space, so I don't bother looking at drives smaller than that.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote