HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Would an immediate agreement + cancelled season turn away fans?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
DaveyCrockett

vCash: 500
Would an immediate agreement + cancelled season turn away fans?

It seems to be getting to the point where the feasability of starting a season is going out the window. However, if an agreement were reached in the very near future and the season was still cancelled, how would fans react? I would not be nearly as angry as it would be guaranteed that the NHL will run next season and there would still be a draft. Its just a thought and obviously not a likely outcome of the lockout. I just dont see how the NHL can start a season in late February but I think they can save some face by getting an agreement in place so they can start promoting the next season.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:02 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I believe it is the best option. It also grants them time to fix the on-ice product as well.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Bruwinz37

Wont happen.

They both realize there needs to be a season this year. That is why they are negotiating hard this weekend.

There will be hockey this year.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

As soon as a deal is signed, the NHL will have a season. It doesn't matter if it's 30, 20 games, or even an extended turnament. It's still FAR, FAR better than 8-9 more months without hochey. It's not a question of "season legitimity" or anything like that. It's simply a business imperative. If there's no NHL hockey this year, everybody will lose: the owners, the players, the fans, everybody.

[rant]
That's why I just can't understand the people who keep asking for the league to "cancel the season already". It just make NO sense for the owners to declare the season canceled. It won't help them in their negociation. It makes even less sense, from the fan's point of view, to ASK the owner to cancel the season. What would be the benefice? You don't like hockey, you don't want to see any? Then, what the heck are you doing posting on a hockey forum? I can understand the growing frustration and impatience, but canceling the season is an immature solution.
[/rant]

Old
02-12-2005, 03:19 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
It seems to be getting to the point where the feasability of starting a season is going out the window. However, if an agreement were reached in the very near future and the season was still cancelled, how would fans react? I would not be nearly as angry as it would be guaranteed that the NHL will run next season and there would still be a draft. Its just a thought and obviously not a likely outcome of the lockout. I just dont see how the NHL can start a season in late February but I think they can save some face by getting an agreement in place so they can start promoting the next season.
Agreed.

Cancelling the season at this late date, even with an agreement reached, would give both sides a chance to cool down, accept the terms, and come back ready to play next year.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:24 PM
DaveyCrockett

I think my post may have been mis-interpeted. In no way was I calling for them to cancel the season, I was just suggesting a "what-if" scenario. I was moreso suggesting that if an agreement isn't reach by tommorrow, and the season is cancelled, they should still keep negotiating. My feeling is that most of the damage has been done. If they can manage a season this year, great, but if they can't, an immediate agreement for next season would certainly help things. If they did start a season and it went into late July, I would think that the 05-06 season would have to get pushed back at least a few weeks.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:26 PM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
That's why I just can't understand the people who keep asking for the league to "cancel the season already". It just make NO sense for the owners to declare the season canceled. It won't help them in their negociation. It makes even less sense, from the fan's point of view, to ASK the owner to cancel the season. What would be the benefice? You don't like hockey, you don't want to see any? Then, what the heck are you doing posting on a hockey forum? I can understand the growing frustration and impatience, but canceling the season is an immature solution.
I wish the owners would cancel the season. The players dont believe they will. Its the only way to prove they are serious.

You have to understand the feelings of fans in many markets. You may disagree but many fans see the owners winning as the only way their team has a chance to stick around. They are willing to wait as long as it will take and dont care if the season is cancelled.

This not liking hockey thought you have doesnt make much sense. The NHL is not hockey and hockey is not the NHL. Wanting the owners to cancel the season has nothing to do not wanting to see hockey. There is plenty of non NHL hockey to see.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
i am dave

I see no down-side to having a season, shortened as it may be. You see all the polls about what percentage of people don't care about the lockout -- those are the same people who only watch hockey during the playoffs.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Hoek

I do hope they get something done at least before the draft, otherwise the mess just gets a WHOLE lot bigger with all the legal challenges by prospects and such.

Old
02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
ResidentAlien*
Unregistered User

IF it happens one of those ways, I'll be happy. However, if the seaon was/is cancelled, regardless of next year, it would be history-plus the damage to the game and the..etc etc...got that Jersey. That withstanding, having a season this short, starting this late, would'nt it also be history? Dare I go as far as to say a more positve one?

Multiple choice I pick B

Old
02-12-2005, 09:56 PM
jratelle19

I may be in the minority here, but if this season is cancelled, I will bid my adieu to the NHL forever. Even if they come up with an agreement in April and promise to start up the season this October (which would never happen. once this season is cancelled, expect to lose at least half a season next year) I would tell them to stick it.

You cancel an entire season and expect me to be waiting with open arms come October? :lol

Fat chance, a-holes of the NHL!!!

Closed Thread