HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lou Article on Kovy

Old
03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
It is the difference between franchises that buy the new mercenary/hero free agent every July 1st... and those that have a winning brand, year after year.
I think Trotts just took a shot at the Rangers... but I'm not 100% sure...

"Chewie... we're home."
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar

vCash: 500
When the garden comes calling, you heed it's siren song.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
When the garden comes calling, you heed it's siren song.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Big#D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
What high priced free agent would want his intentions known?

He's being smart.
It's not just about possible negotiations. I just get a feel that Kovalchuk likes to say stuff to the media to screw with them, like Lemaire does.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
It's not just about possible negotiations. I just get a feel that Kovalchuk likes to say stuff to the media to screw with them, like Lemaire does.
I think you're right. He fed the media nothing but soundbytes full of sunshine, unicorns and cotton candy in Atlanta - much like he is doing here. I hope he's genuine, but I can see him just playing the media game well.

But I still like what he's saying...

Old
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I think you're right. He fed the media nothing but soundbytes full of sunshine, unicorns and cotton candy in Atlanta - much like he is doing here. I hope he's genuine, but I can see him just playing the media game well.

But I still like what he's saying...
I think he is genuine, and I really think he wanted to stay in Atlanta. I think he liked it there and really wanted to stay. But the way management dealt with him and the constant failure to build a competitive team probably persuaded him to leave.

He could be lying about the Devils, but I think he was being honest in Atlanta.

Unknown Caller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
sbresistor

I would give him 8 million to 8.25 cap hit max
I doubt anyone offers him much more - if someone offers over 9mil and he wants to go then c'est la vie

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post
I would give him 8 million to 8.25 cap hit max
I doubt anyone offers him much more - if someone offers over 9mil and he wants to go then c'est la vie
Yes, he should be in the realm of Gaborik type of numbers although I think he's more multi-dimensional...not to knock on Gabby....but he's been healthy and look what he did this year.

Kovy doesn't put up the numbers like OV or crybaby so 9+ million seems out of line. I'm not sure if LA, who has had a good season thus far and has some really good youth coming up. Why do they need to pay one player an obscene amount? If they do, they'll fall into a situation like Pittsburgh with no money to resign their young players who are coming off ELC and such.

No, the biggest question will be what does Kovy want? Does he want a big dollar, short term contract (1-2 years) or a longer term at a more reasonable rate trading off for stability? I doubt he expects 6+ years at over 8 or 9 mil each...but..you never know. Lou doesn't do long really contracts but Kovy is in his prime years so I'd expect an offer of something like 5-6 years at an average of 7.5-7.75 mil.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
he's one goal away from 6 straight 40 goal seasons.... thats crazy

Old
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Semifinals or earlier: Kovy leaves.
Conference Finals or later: Kovy stays.
One playoff win: Kovy stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
he's one goal away from 6 straight 40 goal seasons.... thats crazy
It's like we have a goal scoring Marty Brodeur now.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Why would that make you think that he won't re-sign Kovalchuk? What Lou states makes perfect sense. Fans (many) and media types are obsessed with the future. In late March, an NHL GM in charge of a contender lives in the here and now. As in: April-June.

And, a GM should never let fan sentiment affect multi-million-dollar decisions.

As has been stated, player and team are focused on one thing. Once that is over, player and team will assess their respective futures and determine if they wish to/can negotiate a relationship beyond July 1st. If they can, great, If not, that's OK too.

No need for worry...unless one likes to worry.

I personally believe that how the team fares from here on out will have nothing to do with Kovlachuk's decision. He knows that NJD is a winning organization annually, regardless of how this spring turns out. That is the Devils' reputation. What? Is he going to find a more successful or promising franchise?

Economics (for both sides) will have a much bigger impact, which is fine and should be expected.

What is so striking about Lou's comments (and so great, if one follows NJD) is that the GM talks about how the player "fits in". No player - even a world-class talent - is above this organization. That is NOT a small point. And Kovalchuk knows it...and I believe, embraces it. Which says a lot about him.

It is the difference between franchises that buy the new mercenary/hero free agent every July 1st... and those that have a winning brand, year after year.
I guess LA is far more successful and promising. After one good year.

Old
04-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
Someone tell me the last time Lou went and personally received a player he acquired. Skoula-la had to drive from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and then fly commercial to join the team in Calgary. It wasn't even a direct flight.

I'm sure there is some significance to that. Lou does a pretty good job locking up the players he wants to keep. With Niedermayer being the only exception, all of the players that left via free agency over the years did so because Lou wasn't interested in bringing them back. In fact, from what I remember, Gio, Madden, Gomez, Rupp, and Clemmer didn't even get an offer from him. Rafalski may have gotten one, but Lou clearly didn't aggressively negotiate with him like he did with Niedermayer. My point is, when Lou wants to keep a player, he usually succeeds. And so far, it seems like he wants to keep Kovy.

Yep. I wanted Gomez gone after his arbitration hearing. His father said some things that made me seriously doubt that he would re-sign here.
Rafalski got the equivalent of a qualifying offer. No raise. You're right - every one of the players we've lost with the exception of Niedermayer we didn't even make an attempt to keep. Even though many of them would have taken relative discounts to stay (Gionta, Madden, even Rafalski among them).

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:41 AM
SixStringAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
It's like we have a goal scoring Marty Brodeur now.

1 Brodeur can get us to the playoffs, hopefully another one will get us to the 2nd round

SixStringAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
Like I said several times before, getting rid of Pandolfo, Salvador, and Peters will create $5.9M of cap space. All three are expendable, and their departure should provide enough space to lock up Kovy. If Kovy truly buys into the team concept, he'll take a reasonable $7M.
Everybody wants to get rid of Rolston's disgusting contract, which is 5M, so yeah, obviously we should get rid of those guys and get rid of even more than that. Maybe see if Rolston would waive the no-trade.

"What does Canada want?"
"We want. more moneh."

Anyway, Kovalchuk's currently on a 6.4M deal.

You honestly think he's only going to want a 600k increase to what he has already made the last few seasons? No chance of that happening, not even if Lou points a gun to his child's skull. Even if he's the die-hard team player we all assume he is. I think 8M is perfectly reasonable. He's earned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post

1 Brodeur can get us to the playoffs, hopefully another one will get us to the 2nd round
Oh ye of little faith. You're looking at the glass half full.

Together, they will combine the power of Marty's Fault and turn it into a prestigious champagne. They'll call it Stanley Cup ala Brodeur.

Last edited by Crimson Devil*: 04-01-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old
04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
JimEIV

Quote:

You honestly think he's only going to want a 600k increase to what he has already made the last few seasons? No chance of that happening, not even if Lou points a gun to his child's skull. Even if he's the die-hard team player we all assume he is. I think 8M is perfectly reasonable. He's earned it.
I think your rational and figures are much closer to reality than most of the figures I've seen posted on this board.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

Almost everyone I've seen post up here has forecasted 7.5M - 8.5M a year salary cap hit for him... basically hoping he'd take a $1M discount from the $9M expectation for open market value to stay on a contender.

I think $8M cap hit is reasonable with an escalating scale from $7.5, $8.0, $8.5 or so on a 3 year deal. That would open him back up to the market right at his prime for a big juicy contract and would be in the probable "rebuilding" of the post-Marty era.

Old
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:

I know what his market value is, I'm just hoping he gives us a discount. The reason he didn't re-sign in Atlanta is because he wants to play for a contender. If I'm Lou, I sit him down and explain that if he makes a small sacrifice, he'd help make this team better. That $1M difference can go a long way toward re-signing other key players like Martin and Clarkson. It's not the Kovy show anymore. I hope he's realized that he can't lead a team to the playoffs, let alone a Cup, on his own. He needs a good supporting cast, and in order to get that, he's going to have to give a little. That being said, I'd still be willing to pay up to $8M.

My ideal scenario is that Lou re-signs Kovy and simultaneously signs Parise to an identical extension. Marty, Patty, Jamie and others will still be around, but let them know that it's their team now. Re-signing Zach long-term will also ensure Kovy that this team won't go south in a few years if he bounces and Marty retires.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Juneemoon

There's only one problem in y'alls logic...Jay Grossman is his agent and he is a f***kin snake. And Ilya gives him complete carte blanche when it comes to his contract negotiations. Ilya may very well stay in New Jersey, but if you think you're going to get any kind of discount you're dreaming.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
There's only one problem in y'alls logic...Jay Grossman is his agent and he is a f***kin snake. And Ilya gives him complete carte blanche when it comes to his contract negotiations. Ilya may very well stay in New Jersey, but if you think you're going to get any kind of discount you're dreaming.
The issue is Kovalchuk isn't going to get the contract he reportedly was offered by Atlanta anywhere. It's financially impossible for most hockey teams, and organizational suicide for the others. He'll need to pick: organizational stability and competitiveness, or a maximum contract.

Besides, you're massively overstating the agent issue. Jay Grossman doesn't scare me. He was Brian Leetch's agent, and I don't remember Leetch bleeding the Rangers dry.

Old
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Ilya has the final word, not his agent. If IK says "I want to resign with the Devils for league minimum", he has no choice but to go with what his client wants. His agent wants the best contract for his player cause he's getting a % of that same contract and if his agent had "carte blanche" as you say, he would've taken the Atlanta offer and ended it right than and there... but it didn't happen.

Kovy is the one that will decide were he plays and if it's NJ, he'll take whatever offer Lou seems reasonable and if IK or his agent dissagree... he'll sign elsewere, period.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
The issue is Kovalchuk isn't going to get the contract he reportedly was offered by Atlanta anywhere. It's financially impossible for most hockey teams, and organizational suicide for the others. He'll need to pick: organizational stability and competitiveness, or a maximum contract.

Besides, you're massively overstating the agent issue. Jay Grossman doesn't scare me. He was Brian Leetch's agent, and I don't remember Leetch bleeding the Rangers dry.
Maybe Jay Grossman bleeds blue bra

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
JimEIV

Quote:

What makes you think Atlanta isn't going to put the offer back on the table July 1st?

It really doesn't matter if Kovalchuk is interested or not. What it does is sets the bar awefully high if an offer like that is even out there.

Waddell was very specific in saying that Jay Grossman and Kovalchuk had a desire to be the Highest paid player in the league.

Quote:
We also met his desire to be the highest paid player based on average annual salary with a separate offer of 7 years at $10M per year ($70M). This offer is $0.5M higher per year than any other player.

- Waddell

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Waddell was very specific in saying that Jay Grossman and Kovalchuk had a desire to be the Highest paid player in the league.
Yet they rejected the contract offer that would have done just that.

Old
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
What makes you think Atlanta isn't going to put the offer back on the table July 1st?

It really doesn't matter if Kovalchuk is interested or not. What it does is sets the bar awefully high if an offer like that is even out there.

If that were actually the case and not an instrument for getting out of Atlanta, he would have signed the contract in the first place.

Old
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
If that were actually the case and not an instrument for getting out of Atlanta, he would have signed the contract in the first place.
Yep. I believe that was just Kovalchuk's way of asking for a trade. I bet he and Grossman didn't expect DW to actually put those offers on the table.