HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tambo on Oilers lunch Today

Old
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I would be beyond pissed if we passed on either of the top 2 forwards to draft Fowler.
So would I.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
So would I.
Same here. I have nothing against Fowler but he isn't on Hall or Seguin's level and I don't see him as the franchise Dman that people were saying he'd be after the WJC. If there is a guy on Windsor that benefits the most from the "stacked team" it's Fowler...not Hall.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
So would I.
He just keeps bringing him up. Im scared ahaha

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
OILFAN #81

I think the Oilers at this point are going to select Seguin. I was reading some articles from Matheson as well as other hockey markets like Boston where they say that around the NHL circles, they are hearing that the Oilers are leaning towards Seguin. I'd be happy with either Hall or Seguin. Would be pretty upset with Fowler (not because he sucks but because Hall or Seguin are way ahead of him in terms of skill).

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
It should be pointed out that it was Stauffer, not Tambellini, that made the Gratton/Arnott comparison.
Phew. I didn't hear the interview, I was just going off reports here. That is very good to hear.

I don't know what Stauffer is smoking. There are a million better comparison for Hall vs Seguin then Gratton vs Arnott(neither of whom went top 2 btw). kovalchuk/Spezza is a much better one.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
I think if Gibby can continue playing well and Petry Develop and Smid Continues to get better. Then our top 4 can be pretty good with

Whitney-Gibby
Smid-Petry (This could be a very nice pairing)
Pekham-Johnson

For next year that could be good enough.

Point is Fowler is not a necessity right now. Seguin or Hall are much more important.

Good enough to get us a real high pick in the draft. As a unit, that will get eaten alive.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Why is this guy talking to the media so much? Geez, we've got our own Burkie here.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Phew. I didn't hear the interview, I was just going off reports here. That is very good to hear.

I don't know what Stauffer is smoking. There are a million better comparison for Hall vs Seguin then Gratton vs Arnott(neither of whom went top 2 btw). kovalchuk/Spezza is a much better one.
I think Stauffer made that comparision SOLELY because they played against each other in the playoffs. I think he said it because a lot of people are looking at the upcoming playoff series to decide who is better between Seguin and Hall. Stauffer's comparision was most likely solely to point out that the player who was better in the OHL playoffs between Gratton and Arnott did not turn into the better long-term NHL player.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
oilerfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
It won't matter who the Oilers draft, they will be criticized for it and that's a guarantee. They'll be crititicized if they win the draft lottery and draft Hall instead of Seguin. They'll be critiiczed if they draft Seguin instead of Hall. If they lose the draft lottery, they'll be criticized if they draft Hall/Seguin instead of Fowler. The Oilers will be criticized for who they draft no matter what.
Every fanbase is like that.You cannot please everyone that supports a team.

It is not just oiler fans.

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Girth

So did Tambo talk about Nash at all?

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
If we drafted Seguin I wouldn't mind a line up similar to this one:

Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky
Cogliano/Gagner/Brule
MPS/Seguin/Eberle
Jones/Potulny/Stortini

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
ScrillaVilla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Tambo's talk about Fowler is just a buncha hot air if you ask me. He's doing it so it sounds like he's covered all of his bases.

I'm more convinced that Stu Macgregor will be making the pick come draft day. I would think the head of scouting, not the general manager, would have a better feel for which player fits the team's needs come draft day.
I am sure both have thier opinions, but i get the feeling its the President of Hockey operations that has the last call.

ScrillaVilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Why is this guy talking to the media so much? Geez, we've got our own Burkie here.
Burke gives a lot... Tambo has had a big reputation for saying a lot but having little significant meaning

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
My point exactly.

What's the point in interviewing a guy who can't answer the questions people want answered the most?

To answer your question, I don't think it's possible to have an interesting interview with Tambellini.

GMs are gagged all the time anyway, and he's got the personality of a walnut.
The concept of an interview seems to be confusing to some. In this case, Stauffer asks questions and Tambi answers them. That's pretty much the formula interviews always follow. If you don't like the the topics then your beef is with whoever prepares the question. Unless you're just looking for reasons to spout off about Tambi for no reason.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

He's mentioning Fowler so that other GMs have a harder time pinning down who he wants to pick.

Not that they'll believe him, but every GM guaranteed the #1 or 2 pick in every year that doesn't have a generational talent like Ovechkin or Crosby - they'll always pay lip service to all the consensus top prospects.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
He's mentioning Fowler so that other GMs have a harder time pinning down who he wants to pick.

Not that they'll believe him, but every GM guaranteed the #1 or 2 pick in every year that doesn't have a generational talent like Ovechkin or Crosby - they'll always pay lip service to all the consensus top prospects.
Didn't the Islanders do the same last season. Rumours of the Islandes taking Duchene instead of Tavares.

04-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Good enough to get us a real high pick in the draft. As a unit, that will get eaten alive.
Good enough to build on. Good enough to finish between 8th to 12th. Not good enough to win anything of any significance. Having said that I'm pretty sure people were laughing at:

Jovonovski-aucoin
Michalek-Yandle
Lepisto-Vandermeer

at the beginning of the season but look where they are now.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
I am not sure I would read anything into this right now. They don't even have the first pick yet and even if they did I doubt that any GM would be so obvious with how they want to play it out.

Unless the deal is ridiculous, bypassing Hall for Fowler would be a PR disaster for the team. Hard to see that it would not result in a big exodous of fans.
Agreed. Truthfully, under normal circumstances organizations don't listen to their fans...but when you keep feeding your fans this **** sandwich and telling them there's steak and lobster in the future...ummm I'm hungry.

But seriously, the Oilers can't afford the PR/fan backlash that would result in not taking one of the goldenboys. Fowler's a smoke screen...

PigeonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Tambo's talk about Fowler is just a buncha hot air if you ask me. He's doing it so it sounds like he's covered all of his bases.
You better be right.

Quote:
I'm more convinced that Stu Macgregor will be making the pick come draft day. I would think the head of scouting, not the general manager, would have a better feel for which player fits the team's needs come draft day.
Its not about "team needs" when the draft is concerned. You always pick the best player available. You never pick a player based on "team needs", ever. I don't usually use the word never but in my opinion; you never draft a player based on team needs. That thought scares me.. a lot.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not the point at all, just that Hall is more physically mature like Gratton was, while Seguin isn't as mature like Arnott was. So he's covering the bases in case Hall overplays Seguin badly by saying that Hall is more mature at the moment but Seguin will likely end up being the better player. IF Hall is considered more physically mature, which IMO he is. Not that Hall is like Gratton or than Seguin is like Arnott
That's the way I read it too. I'm not sure the Oilers have really made a decision yet...if they do win the lottery, they might not be 100% settled until after the combine.

PigeonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

Thats what I'm leaning on as well.. and that better be the case.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
edmoil3

tambi's interviews are absolutely brutual. but i understand he cant show his hand. his job is alot like poker. but paired up with stauffer interviewing him is my nightmare.

edmoil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
foshizzle

Okay, for those of you not watching the PPV- Tambo again mentioned Fowler when asked about Hall or Seguin. Gene asked him about watching 2 players in the Windsor vs Plymouth series- Tambo quickly corrects them and says "3 players" mentioning Cam Fowler.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Same here. I have nothing against Fowler but he isn't on Hall or Seguin's level and I don't see him as the franchise Dman that people were saying he'd be after the WJC. If there is a guy on Windsor that benefits the most from the "stacked team" it's Fowler...not Hall.
Actually, Fowler has probably had the least benefit from Windsor's depth.

-Fowler shold be and would be the #1 D on any team in the OHL except that Windsor has Ryan Ellis filling that role.
-Windsor has at times appeared to try to use Ellis and Fowler as a 1A and 1B combo, not with the greatest sucess at times.
-Windsor runs their PP through Ellis and have tried to fit Fowler in there as another threat but they should have either split them up onto two separate units on run specific plays designed around each of them instead of plays that appear to be designed around both of them. As highly ranked as Windsor's PP is it has struggled in major ways at times this season.
-At the start of the season Ellis was away at camp as well as injured and Fowler looked to be as advertised. When Ellis returned to the lineup healthy Fowler started to struggle a bit but moreso was forced to take a back seat to Ellis while still facing high expectations that did not quite seem to fit the role he was playing. He appeared to be facing #1 expectations with a #2 role. Ellis and Fowler did not always look good together on the ice.
-When Ellis was away at camp and injured Fowler looked just fine taking on the #1 role. He had his moments adjusting to the OHL but for the most part looked very good.
-Hall looked as comfortable with Fowler running the PP as he does with Ellis.

Fowler was the early favourite to be #1 in this year's draft until Hall took over that spot.
Hall and Fowler were considered the top 2 before this season started and even early on in the season it was a three way race.

All the talk of Fowler would, IMO, be about Tambellini looking at Hall/Fowler or Seguin/Fowler if he can aquire the top two or two of the top three picks.

My question for Oiler fans (I am not an Oiler fan but a Windsor fan) would be how would you feel about Hall/Fowler or Seguin/Fowler with the top two picks or possibly two of the top three picks? If I were Tambellini I would consider the top forward and the top D in the same draft to be an extremely successful day 1 of the draft, depending on what I it cost me.

Another thing to consider is like Hall, Fowler has had his game scrutinized for three years now while Gudbranson and Gornley have really only been under the public microscope this season, like Seguin. After being watched for that long the good points of his game are known, and taken for granted which leaves people picking apart his game looking for anything that is wrong. With the others they are still finding out about their game and the mistakes tend to be overlooked or forgiven.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote