HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Gordie Howe turns 82

Old
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

vCash: 500
Gordie Howe turns 82

'Mr. Hockey' Gordie Howe turns 82 Wednesday

How did we forget? Anyways, Happy Birthday to one of the greatest players to ever wear the Winged Wheel!

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Ahh! I forgot! I can't believe I forgot!!

Happy Birthday Gordie!!

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:15 PM
14ari13

Happy Birthday.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Dogkota

Happy Birthday Mr. Hockey, here's to many more

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:39 AM
nik jr

happy birthday to Mr Hockey. and RIP Mrs Hockey.

i wonder why that legends of hockey video in OP is incomplete. all of them i have seen only have about 1/2 of the original.

here is something from Jean Beliveau's autobiography:
Quote:
It goes without saying that Gordie Howe was the pre-eminent player of my generation. Witness his 21 nominations to 1st or 2nd all star teams at a time when Maurice Richard, Boom Boom Geoffrion and Andy Bathgate were his competition on right wing. Because of our size and temperament, especially off the ice, Gordie and I were compared during our playing days almost as often as he and Maurice.

Gordie was every bit as tough as reported, but his brawn was secondary to his hockey smarts. Many observers couldn't get past his elbows and so underestimated his on-ice intelligence. Gordie was a master of positioning, whether in possession of the puck or not. Even in the final years of his career, he was often the savviest player out there.

I have seen many players who stood taller than Gordie's 6 feet 1 inch, and who outweighed his 205 pounds, but i don't believe I've seen anyone stronger, with the possible exceptions of Bobby Hull and Tim Horton. Gordie didn't have the big square shoulders of a Kevin Hatcher or a Larry Robinson; his shoulders were thick and rounded and they sloped over a huge chest that was all knotted muscle. He could come up behind you gently slip his stick under your armpit and effortlessly lift you right off the ice. Trying to strong-arm Gordie off the puck in a corner was akin to wrestling a telephone pole.

How did Gordie manage to play pro hockey into his 50s? The answer lies in his incredible strength, high on-ice IQ, and a low-key personality with a streak of meanness when the situation demanded it--the definition, in short, of a formidable player. Even in the '50s, Lloyd Percival predicted a long career for Gordie.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:33 AM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Thanks for those.

Gordie is my absolute favorite player of all time, not just for his hockey days, but because of the way he lives life too. I know it sounds a bit cheesy (ok, a lot cheesy), but his book has kept me going sometimes when I'm frustrated to heck with school. Work hard, and you'll get somewhere...

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote