HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

You have a convert!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2010, 12:07 AM
  #51
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,324
vCash: 50
just gonna throw in my $0.02US.

I just dont get how someone who is a passionate fan can "adopt" another team.

Dont get me wrong, midnight, I am glad to have you and dont question your sincerity, I just know I couldnt do it.

I am a lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan and they have sucked monstrously for the last 19 years, yet I cannot bring myself to become even a casual fan of another team. Yes, when the playoffs roll around I usually decide who I'd like to see win, but I would never actually feel like I was a "fan" of that team.

If, God forbid, the Preds ever left Nashville, I cant see myself becoming a fan of another team. I'd probably still watch some hockey, and would likely root for a few favorite players, but I can never envision myself a Blues fan, which would be the next closest team geographically...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
  #52
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just gonna throw in my $0.02US.

I just dont get how someone who is a passionate fan can "adopt" another team.

Dont get me wrong, midnight, I am glad to have you and dont question your sincerity, I just know I couldnt do it.

I am a lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan and they have sucked monstrously for the last 19 years, yet I cannot bring myself to become even a casual fan of another team. Yes, when the playoffs roll around I usually decide who I'd like to see win, but I would never actually feel like I was a "fan" of that team.

If, God forbid, the Preds ever left Nashville, I cant see myself becoming a fan of another team. I'd probably still watch some hockey, and would likely root for a few favorite players, but I can never envision myself a Blues fan, which would be the next closest team geographically...
Thrashers? They are closer to Nashville, though I see you are from Kentucky so that might be your starting point.

I am a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but always secondary to the Preds. I don't feel like I'm betraying the Preds or anything since they come first, especially given that they are in a different conference. I don't start rooting for the Pens first if the Predators start sucking, but if the Preds were out of it and the Pens were still in it, I'd definitely start rooting for them more.

Oh, and to answer Richie's question from long ago, there were indeed some Predator fans who rooted for Team Canada. They were mostly Shea Weber fanatics, but they were there... some wore Team Canada jerseys to the Preds games.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
  #53
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Thrashers? They are closer to Nashville, though I see you are from Kentucky so that might be your starting point.

I am a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but always secondary to the Preds. I don't feel like I'm betraying the Preds or anything since they come first, especially given that they are in a different conference. I don't start rooting for the Pens first if the Predators start sucking, but if the Preds were out of it and the Pens were still in it, I'd definitely start rooting for them more.

Oh, and to answer Richie's question from long ago, there were indeed some Predator fans who rooted for Team Canada. They were mostly Shea Weber fanatics, but they were there... some wore Team Canada jerseys to the Preds games.
*raises hand*

In fact, i think I'll wear it tonight.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 08:43 AM
  #54
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
*raises hand*

In fact, i think I'll wear it tonight.
Traitor.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
  #55
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,037
vCash: 562
I like to watch teams from the Eastern Conference, like Buffalo or NYI's, or Tampa, but they all take a backseat to the Preds.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
  #56
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
yeah, basically for me here's how it works.
I will cheer for Edmonton over everyone. Even Nashville. Sorry
I can think of exceptions to that rule, sure. Like earlier in the season (just weeks ago, really) where losses were more valuable to the Oilers than wins. I was never really one to cheer for the tanking, I'm sort of the fan that would rather see us valiantly clash for a playoff spot than get Taylor Hall. Maybe that's stupid, but I hated seeing my Oilers suffer like that this year. But anyway, in a situation like that, I would probably cheer for the Preds over the Oilers. Other than in an Oilers game, though, I will cheer for the Predators anywhere.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #57
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
*raises hand*

In fact, i think I'll wear it tonight.


I bore a personal grudge against Brian Burke for the deliberate exclusion of R.J. Umberger. My team's captain was (and is) one of Team Canada's best players. The only three players I knew particularly well that I liked on Team USA normally played for The Hated Enemy, The Implacable Foe, and another team I'm not too enamored with 'cause their fans invade our arena.

But I still rooted for Team USA, because, damnit, I'm an AMERICAN.

You, sir, should be ASHAMED.





<-- maybe
(Rafalski, Suter, Miller. In case you're wondering.)

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:46 AM
  #58
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post


I bore a personal grudge against Brian Burke for the deliberate exclusion of R.J. Umberger. My team's captain was (and is) one of Team Canada's best players. The only three players I knew particularly well that I liked on Team USA normally played for The Hated Enemy, The Implacable Foe, and another team I'm not too enamored with 'cause their fans invade our arena.

But I still rooted for Team USA, because, damnit, I'm an AMERICAN.

You, sir, should be ASHAMED.





<-- maybe
(Rafalski, Suter, Miller. In case you're wondering.)
I was hoping there'd be a mark of sarcasm in there because you almost lost all credibility with me with that one. You are good, I've got to give you that. Hope one of Canada's best players can whip up on Detroit some in the next week or so. Hope all your boys do some whipping for that matter.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
  #59
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Viqsi;24860275But I still rooted for Team USA, because, damnit, I'm an AMERICAN.[/QUOTE]

I thought Canada was in North America. Wouldn't that make them American also?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
  #60
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I was hoping there'd be a mark of sarcasm in there because you almost lost all credibility with me with that one. You are good, I've got to give you that. Hope one of Canada's best players can whip up on Detroit some in the next week or so. Hope all your boys do some whipping for that matter.
To be truthful, I really was bitter about Umberger's not even being invited because he's one of my favorites, but I eventually got over it. Whether or not he would've actually made the team would be a separate issue.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
  #61
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I thought Canada was in North America. Wouldn't that make them American also?
By that logic, anyone in the North America, South America, and Central America would be considered "American." And I think most Canadians would rather drink piss than be called American.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
  #62
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
I miss a lot when I don't come on for a day.

Richie79: I assumed it was an April fool's day thing with his diatribe but then realized when he posted it wasn't 4/01 yet on your guys and gals end of the world.

As for rooting for another team, most of the 'old' timers around here know this but since we have a lot of young blood and since we're being honest with each other I'll state this again:

Being from Idaho (which I didn't take offense to when Harpoon Pete mentioned it) I didn't really get into hockey. I played the old school NES hockey game but that was about as close as I got for a long while.

Then on my 16th birthday a good friend who's originally from Detroit got me a Konstantinov jersey, and because of that I thought I owed it to him to root for the Wings.

That said I got sick of being called a bandwagon fan (which I guess I was more or less) but by then I had been following hockey for a while and couldn't stand any of the teams that are near Idaho. Then the Preds came into the league.

Have never been to Nashville but had always heard good things, I liked the name of the team and started following them as my 1B team. But when the Wings and Preds faced off in the playoffs for the first time, I switched and it was Preds 1A, by the end of the playoffs even losing to the Wings, I made it up in my mind that the Preds were the team I'd root for through thick and thin, and it became Preds first and foremost.

I'm sure someone like Richie79 would have a field day with me considering how hard he ripped into Midnight but meh. In fact, considering most foreigners here in Taiwan are Canadian I stand proud as not only one of the few Americans around, but also the American that likes hockey AND on top of that, in their minds people like me are destroying hockey by rooting for Nashville. **** the haters.

In fact some of my best friends here are Canadian but don't rag on Nashville at all, guess that's partly why we're friends. I went over to one's house to watch the gold medal game with them, it started at 4am here but we all were up watching it, I nearly lost it when it got tied up but then of course they had the last laugh when they won the game. Was something I'll never forget though.

And it's April 2nd already here in Taiwan, so none of this is an April Fool's Day joke.

Peace.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
  #63
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
To be truthful, I really was bitter about Umberger's not even being invited because he's one of my favorites, but I eventually got over it. Whether or not he would've actually made the team would be a separate issue.
Why would you be bitter about it? I like Umberger as a player because he's gritty and a leader but there is no way he should've been included on that roster for Canada. There were other guys that were left off that deserved to be there more than him.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
  #64
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Umberger is American

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
  #65
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Umberger is American
OOOOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSS.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  #66
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Thrashers? They are closer to Nashville, though I see you are from Kentucky so that might be your starting point.

.
yes, I am 3+ hours from STL and 5+ hours from Atlanta.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
  #67
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 42,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
*raises hand*

In fact, i think I'll wear it tonight.
If you were sitting in or near 303 I think I saw you. Otherwise it was just another traitorous Weber fan.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.