HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our powerplay is frustrating

Old
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Jwm1986

vCash: 500
Our powerplay is frustrating

I know we have been in the top half in terms of powerplay production for most of the season, but i havent had the sense that we have a dynamic powerplay all season..

The last stretch has been downright frustrating....i really dont understand TM's philosophy when it comes to this....

First of all, am i the only one who feels that Stoll shouldn't be on our first unit pp? hes useless to me in this setting....he's out there for one reason, and thats to have pucks fed to him for the one timer....problem is, he almost never connects and either 1 ) shoots high, or 2) gets the puck blocked....he serves no other purpose in my mind....he has made our PP so predictable its sad

2nd, i really dont think Kopitar is being utilized to his strengths most of the time. He just stands at the half-wall and dishes pucks out to the point....on rare occasion, we see him make a great move around a defender and shoot at the net (which usually results in a goal)....i think if he played much lower and closer to the net, we would have more options as he is a great passer...

i think this is an area where Frolov would strive... give him Stoll's place and have him play the opposite half-wall, which will primarily serve what Kopitar has been doing, only on the other side....his great puck possession would be great....

Johnson and Doughty at the point, with Smyth in front.....

just an idea as to something that might work....a bit of a new look would be refreshing

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Yup.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
SLang

Agreed that watching it has been frustrating, seemingly all year long. That's why the fact that it's 6th in the league feels like such a mystery. But then I realize that it's in the top 20% of NHL teams and I get frustrated because it could be best in the league.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Agreed that watching it has been frustrating, seemingly all year long. That's why the fact that it's 6th in the league feels like such a mystery. But then I realize that it's in the top 20% of NHL teams and I get frustrated because it could be best in the league.
As long as its best in the playoffs is all I care about.

Then again, since the refs swallow their whistles in the playoffs, I guess its a moot point...

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
When it comes to pp, you need to put things in perspective. If a team scores 1 out of 5 pp opportunities, that is considered good. Another way to look at it is if we fail to score on 4 out of 5, 16 out of 20, 80 out of 100, that is considered an efficient pp.

I would imagine, majority of these boards are filled with complaints about lack of scoring from their respective pp units. And that's all because people can't understand why their special team can't score. Well guess, what, they're not suppose to score majority of the time.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Whats with all the love about putting Jack on the powerplay instead of Stoll? Stoll is just so far superior to jack to play left point. The problem is that the powerplay is run through him shooting, when Doughty and Kopitar both have more dangerous shots

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
When it comes to pp, you need to put things in perspective. If a team scores 1 out of 5 pp opportunities, that is considered good. Another way to look at it is if we fail to score on 4 out of 5, 16 out of 20, 80 out of 100, that is considered an efficient pp.

I would imagine, majority of these boards are filled with complaints about lack of scoring from their respective pp units. And that's all because people can't understand why their special team can't score. Well guess, what, they're not suppose to score majority of the time.
I think that if you look back over PP complaints over this season, they're less about the actual numbers and more about what happens when they DONT score. Our PP is so stagnant. It lacks motion. It's far from dynamic. In fact, some of our 'wow' moments this year have come when the PP has been improvised due to a breakdown.

When our PP isn't scoring, it's actually a momentum killer, because we're either giving up SH chances, getting shots blocked, or just flat out missing high and wide. It's not as if we're moving the puck and bodies around and just not scoring; if the PP doesn't put a puck in the net, it's just 5 dudes standing around playing hot potato for 2 minutes. Hard to generate energy and keep momentum after that.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Unrelatedly, how is Doughty's one-timer? I know when he has time to set up and blast it, he's ridiculous...but I was arguing with a buddy about Kaberle and contemplating how nice it would be to have him and Doughty opposite one another, both with the opportunity for a pass or shot. Or, you know, replace Kaberle with JJ once he can adjust his bricks-for-brains a bit

Old
04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I think that if you look back over PP complaints over this season, they're less about the actual numbers and more about what happens when they DONT score. Our PP is so stagnant. It lacks motion. It's far from dynamic. In fact, some of our 'wow' moments this year have come when the PP has been improvised due to a breakdown.

When our PP isn't scoring, it's actually a momentum killer, because we're either giving up SH chances, getting shots blocked, or just flat out missing high and wide. It's not as if we're moving the puck and bodies around and just not scoring; if the PP doesn't put a puck in the net, it's just 5 dudes standing around playing hot potato for 2 minutes. Hard to generate energy and keep momentum after that.
GREAT point!

The PP either scores, or kills momentum. What we need is a PP that scores or generates momentum. Sure, sometimes a really good PK by the other team will give them momentum, but we seem too polarized with our PP.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

But just about any team in the league can say that their pp is "stagnant" and "lacks motion", "momentum killer" because many of them are. Having a one man advantage isn't THAT great of an advantage if you really think about it.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
GREAT point!

The PP either scores, or kills momentum. What we need is a PP that scores or generates momentum. Sure, sometimes a really good PK by the other team will give them momentum, but we seem too polarized with our PP.
I want a PP that scores, generates momentum, and leaves me with a minty fresh feeling.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
But just about any team in the league can say that their pp is "stagnant" and "lacks motion", "momentum killer" because many of them are. Having a one man advantage isn't THAT great of an advantage if you really think about it.
That's pretty true, and some that are worse than ours are...just ugh. But how many times this year have we watched our 5-man unit just pass around the perimeter for 30-45 seconds while the penalty killers hardly move anything but their sticks? There's very few passes through seams, guys moving to the net, or really doing anything dangerous at all. I compared it to bubble hockey with my friends; these guys move only along a small slot in the ice once we've set up.

The scouting report is simple. Cheat to Stoll, either block the shot or move the dude in front, and leave the guys below the goal line alone. This ensures that, after passing around for some time, someone will either flub a weak shot on goal or a hard one wide. I mean, it may be an oversimplification just because we watch it so much, but it's soooo painful sometimes.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
GREAT point!

Right! And it may not be fair to compare ours to the Blackhawks or something, but I know I'm genuinely scared to face their PP because of the high level of creativity and improvisation. That's something you can't necessarily scout and lock down in a 7-game series.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Yet, Chicago is 16th in the league at 18.1%.

Washington, that is a scary good PP team. 76 goals in 76 games (25.7%).

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Yet, Chicago is 16th in the league at 18.1%.

Washington, that is a scary good PP team. 76 goals in 76 games (25.7%).
I guess my point is the numbers don't mean a whole hell of a lot when you're playing the same team 7 games in a row. If you're predictable, you're boned.

If our philosophy is throw pucks at the net and get the garbage, I'm fine with that...provided we actually come within 5 feet of the net!

Old
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
onlyalad

The Kings, stagnant, motionless powerplay is the 6th best in the league. I don't care if it looks boring. Scoring is what counts. There are only 5 teams that do it better than the Kings. Yes it has has has been a little streaky but over the course of the season it is one of the best. Would you rather have a PP that passes through the middle and gives up a shorthanded breakaway goal?

I understand that flashy is fun to watch but nothing about the Kings is flashy. (ok except Drew). They are more a wear you down type of team. That is why they are best in the 3rd period. Other teams get tired of playing them.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Its not about flashy or boring, again, its about momentum.

Streaky won't work in the playoffs. It needs to consistently be a help and never be a hinderance, which ours is when it isn't actually scoring.

If its not scoring itself, it needs to generate momentum, unlike the last bunch of games. 0 for 7 on the PP is fine if you are still carrying the play before and after those missed chances. When our PP goes 0 for 7 tho, it gives the other team momentum because of the boom or bust nature of our system.
I don't want to get knocked out of a series because our pp didn't happen to be on a good streak that game and instead helped generate momentum for the opposition.

Old
04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I don't want to get knocked out of a series because our pp didn't happen to be on a good streak that game and instead helped generate momentum for the opposition.
Unless there is a coaching change, this is what you are going to see. We just have to hope that we are on a good streak in the playoffs.

Murray says that the special teams must get better, but they send out the same players and system over and over. Richardson's line needs to get some PP time, at least they would keep the momentum going.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:

ok..............

A lot of guys look for the stats and some numbers....
If we look for these things

We own a playoff spot.
We are 4th best team in PP%
We are 20th in PK%
We own a goalie with 3rd most wins.
We are in the top 10 if it comes to wins.....

We could continue to pick out the good stats and numbers......

Problem is...... these stats mean absolutely nothing in playoff.
You point out that 20% would be a solid PP number.

But what i try to say... with a true sniper in Kopitar, 2 of the most lethal blue liner,
an league leading expert in garbage goals......

20% is not looking good anymore.
I would put my hand into the fire.... a true PP coaching expert could squeeze out
30%
Most of the guys in front of the TV could puke when they have to watch the defender on the wrong side, or Stoll sucking on PP because you are forced to play
the same system with him.
Just watch the real good PP teams. The players are moving all time and the puck
is like a flipper ball. they use the puck movement to force a defender out of position
instead shooting on him until he drops dead.
They are not waiting for an open lane, they open the lane, play the cross pass to the point and a guys with a rocket shot scores.

What we are doing is to pass the puck in slow motion, wonder that the opponent doesn't open a lane for us and shot from the blueline doesn't matter the shooting lane is blocked or not.
That's why we have so many trouble to keep the puck in the o-zone.

i could go ahead....... but i bore the people because they have to read this stuff in every GDT posting.

All in all, don't trust stats to much

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Ok we are 6th in PP. If movement, point shots actually hitting the net, and more slashing to the net could move that ranking up to say 3rd or even 2nd would do that, which of us posters would say "No thanks, boring, undynamic and flatfooted is working just fine"? Anyone? Anyone? [Bueller]

Stoll misses the net FAR MORE OFTEN than he hits it. Johnson doesn't shoot enough, instead waiting, usually until the shot is gone and then just throws the puck down low.

Frolov cutting to the net or along the half boards while Kopitar slashes toward the net might work wonders. I do know that flatfooted defenseman or whoever is manning the points is not a good thing. stats are great, but we all watch the same thing every PP and most of us have seen how predictable it is. If we see, don't you think that guys with a bit more hockey sense (coaches and players) than you and me see it too?

I'm not saying it sucks, although sometimes in stretches it truly does, but it could easily, with just a few little tweaks, be alot better.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Ok we are 6th in PP. If movement, point shots actually hitting the net, and more slashing to the net could move that ranking up to say 3rd or even 2nd would do that, which of us posters would say "No thanks, boring, undynamic and flatfooted is working just fine"? Anyone? Anyone? [Bueller]

Stoll misses the net FAR MORE OFTEN than he hits it. Johnson doesn't shoot enough, instead waiting, usually until the shot is gone and then just throws the puck down low.

Frolov cutting to the net or along the half boards while Kopitar slashes toward the net might work wonders. I do know that flatfooted defenseman or whoever is manning the points is not a good thing. stats are great, but we all watch the same thing every PP and most of us have seen how predictable it is. If we see, don't you think that guys with a bit more hockey sense (coaches and players) than you and me see it too?

I'm not saying it sucks, although sometimes in stretches it truly does, but it could easily, with just a few little tweaks, be alot better.
exactly my point....when our 2nd unit pp is effective, its usually because of Frolov....he has the puck most of the time....

i think playing Kopitar down low will entice him to shoot more....it also creates something for other teams to think about, which creates other openings.....

were not talking a big change here.....

TM has been so inconsistent with the lines all season, i just dont understand why he never really switched up the PP

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... This thread is bordering on self-parody.

"Our powerplay does nothing well, except for scoring goals!"

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Youngblood93

If the PP strugles tonight in the early going I'd like to Parse get a chance. He's proven that he has his cocked and ready to go.

Bottom line - every team that plays the Kings know what they're going to do, stand still and look for the perfect one timer. The Kings need to move there feet and get the PK running around in there zone. Start opening lanes and look for shots right away. They also need better passing on the PP

Side note - I hate how fans are always yelling "Shoot, Shoot" If you have ever played I think you may side with me. These players are so good in this league that unless the pass in on the tape, you wont' get the shot off. The lane will close then they shoot and it's blocked.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
Side note - I hate how fans are always yelling "Shoot, Shoot" If you have ever played I think you may side with me. These players are so good in this league that unless the pass in on the tape, you wont' get the shot off. The lane will close then they shoot and it's blocked.
There's a guy who sits near my section that yells "SHOOT!" at every opportunity. He once yelled it while the puck was in the neutral zone.

Boy did we ever make fun of him.... haven't heard him since.

Old
04-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
There's a guy who sits near my section that yells "SHOOT!" at every opportunity. He once yelled it while the puck was in the neutral zone.

Boy did we ever make fun of him.... haven't heard him since.
haha, i know what you mean. Some people are yelling shoot before Quick can stop the puck after it's iced

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote