HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier Recalled / Ersberg out with sore back

Old
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
JDM,

Do you consider Steve Mason to be a #1 NHL goalie? I think the jury is still out on him and if Columbus had a Bernier waiting in the wings he would probably be playing instead of Mason right now.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
JDM,

Do you consider Steve Mason to be a #1 NHL goalie? I think the jury is still out on him and if Columbus had a Bernier waiting in the wings he would probably be playing instead of Mason right now.
#1 is subjective and the title means dick. We are talking about who has earned the postseason. Quick has earned this postseason and his stats have given the team stability. He has played a full season in the NHL and will get the nod going into the postseason. I don't care if Bernier is the second calling of Patrick Roy, he is going back to Manchester. After all the "earning your stripes" hoopla, do you really believe that Lombardi would allow Quick to be sat out after his record setting season in favor of Bernier because he happened to win 2-3 games as an emergency call-up? Not happening. Bernier didn't even earn those starts and wouldn't have been on the team had it not been for emergency reasons.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
What?

Labs played 45 games one season and only won 17 of them.

If Labs had a season like Quick is having, in terms of GP and WINS, not ****ing sv% and GAA, then yes, he would be a #1 goalie.

One season with 39 wins proves NOTHING? Really? NOTHING?!?!

So Quick's 39 wins prove nothing, but Bernier's 2 wins proves he deserves the reins as much as Quick? Sorry, that logic makes no sense to me.

Riding the hot hand is one thing, but you are taking this a step too far.

I've already said that if Quick reclaims his form, that he will play in the playoffs. But if he continues to lose games and give up soft goals and Bernier continues to play as well as he has in the 2 games, then yes Bernier will play in the playoffs. Lombardi and Murray's jobs are to win games. Period.

You have to admit that Murray has mismanaged his goalies? Right? Playing Quick this much in his first full NHL season is ridiculous.

I think all Kings fans were worried that Quick was playing too much and this could be the result at the end of the season.

Old
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Mason is a bit different.

Mason had one good season and now is having a bad season. Quick has had half of a great season and a full very good season, so far Quick has proven more than Mason.

But yes, Mason is a #1 in my opinion. For now. Legit #1 doesn't mean "he will be a winning goaltender for the rest of his career." Players rise, they fall. Who knows what he'll be next year, but just as his season has been subpar, the team around him kind of sucks as well. See, this is where the differentiation comes between a legit #1 and an elite #1. Elite #1's are the goalies who bring that A, winning game, year in and year out over their careers. The rest, are journeymen #1's. They will generally be starting goaltenders, likely on several different teams, but they will never carry their team to the cup. The years to come won't tell us if Quick or Mason were legit #1's now, only if they are journeymen or elite.

But let me ask you a question. What of Nabakov?

He has proven a great starting goalie year in and year out, but has never done much of anything in the playoffs. Same goes for Kipprusoff. Where do you draw the line?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
You have to admit that Murray has mismanaged his goalies? Right? Playing Quick this much in his first full NHL season is ridiculous.
Yes. On this we agree. Murray is terrible at using his backup and rotating his goalies. I give Ranford and the goalies themselves all the credit, and Murray, none, in this regard.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
I've already said that if Quick reclaims his form, that he will play in the playoffs. But if he continues to lose games and give up soft goals and Bernier continues to play as well as he has in the 2 games, then yes Bernier will play in the playoffs. Lombardi and Murray's jobs are to win games. Period.

I think all Kings fans were worried that Quick was playing too much and this could be the result at the end of the season
Well, no, I don't think Murray has mismanaged JQ at all. Heck, if we had played EE as much as some of you may have wanted to, we may not even be in the playoff picture. The way I look at it, none of us will truly know whether playing JQ as much as TM did had more positive or negative effects.

Bottomline, we're in the playoff picture and we have 2 solid goalies ready for the playoffs.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
But let me ask you a question. What of Nabakov?

He has proven a great starting goalie year in and year out, but has never done much of anything in the playoffs. Same goes for Kipprusoff. Where do you draw the line?
I would call both of them legit #1's, but not elite.

Now, what about Fluery in Pittsburgh? Very similar numbers to Quick this year, but has a ring. Is he elite or just legit?

Or is he Too Legit to Quit??