HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If Comrie does sign, we as Oilers fans.....

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 08:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
The agents tell them not to, and the players see the agents as the experts, so they listen. It's not rocket science.

Old
09-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The agents tell them not to, and the players see the agents as the experts, so they listen. It's not rocket science.
Actually, if I was an agent with a player who wanted to stay with his current team, I would encourage him to publicly say so. To back this up, players in fact do this all the time during contract negotiations.

Havlat has been quoted saying he wants to be in Ottawa. Gaborik has been quoted as missing the guys, the city, and the fans.

Seems to me it's not only good PR for the players fan relationships, but saying it really can't have any negative impact when it comes down to an agent and a GM throwing numbers and terms back and forth trying to hash out a contract.

On the other hand, if you don't want to appear to be a hippocrite after a trade, and really do want a trade while trying not to alienate your home town friends and fans, you might play it the way Comrie has.

(Shrug)

Old
09-26-2003, 09:37 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
ummmm players say that they want to stay in *insert town* all the time during negotiations..... exactly like other people have mentioned in this thread..... the fact that comrie doesnt say this just SCREAMS to me that he really does want out

Old
09-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
ummmm players say that they want to stay in *insert town* all the time during negotiations..... exactly like other people have mentioned in this thread..... the fact that comrie doesnt say this just SCREAMS to me that he really does want out
You got it bad for Comrie hey? Did he kill your dog or something?

Old
09-26-2003, 10:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
You got it bad for Comrie hey? Did he kill your dog or something?
hehe, yeah he ran over flopsy just last week... oh yeah, i guess he couldnt have done that..... because he is in MICHIGAN!!! lol, seriously i dont even live in edmonton anymore but i *am* a freaking die hard oiler fan.... and im a huge comrie fan, but as ive said in like 3 other posts now..... just because im an comrie fan doesnt mean im going to accept such actions as these without voicing my displeasure

if my best friend was acting in a similar fashion as comrie i would be the first person to tell him that hes acting like a spoiled brat and he should smarten the ***** up..... so to answer your question, no i dont have it in for comrie, but i do expect people to act with some dignity

Old
09-27-2003, 06:53 AM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Reading. Its fun and good for you.

For example, Oiler_Fan pointed out a few instances that prove the exact opposite of your factoid. Add to that list the majority of the contentious Oiler signings over the years...Ranford, Weight...heck, even Carter and Dollar Bill Guerin.

You and I shall have to agree to disagree on this, because players seem to ignore their agents all the time on this point. Comrie's especially attentive, I suppose. Go Mike.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:06 AM
oh_canuck

I dont understand why people think its a personal attack on them if a player wants to negotiate a contract by holding out. What do you care how much money he makes its hockey its supposed to be fun, go out enjoy the games and pray that the oilers can ice a high skilled team as possible and this would most definately include comrie...neither side is in the wrong, in this negotiation. It will come to a conclusion in due course so everyone should forget about it.

I cant understand how a player goes from the penthouse to the outhouse in such short order (ooops yes I do Clueless dolts who have no clue).

In my opinion there is to much jealousy on these boards.
Its not personal boys its just sports

Old
09-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck
I dont understand why people think its a personal attack on them if a player wants to negotiate a contract by holding out. What do you care how much money he makes its hockey its supposed to be fun, go out enjoy the games and pray that the oilers can ice a high skilled team as possible and this would most definately include comrie...neither side is in the wrong, in this negotiation. It will come to a conclusion in due course so everyone should forget about it.

I cant understand how a player goes from the penthouse to the outhouse in such short order (ooops yes I do Clueless dolts who have no clue).

In my opinion there is to much jealousy on these boards.
Its not personal boys its just sports

Oh I don't know. I think Oilers fans are pretty realistic in regard to contract negotiations. Having been threatened by previous ownership on a quarterly basis, Oilers fans have come to look at the big picture. Remember those Pocklington press conferences pressuring every level of government? Or that goof that came in to look at the books?

Personally, I'd rather see the 1.5 go to the ownership group than a kid who's to big for his britches. The ownership group are the heroes around here imo.

Comrie? Seen it, done it, didn't buy the t-shirt. Too much.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
jadeddog

couldnt agree more... the real heros are the owners.... the guys who put up their money and all their time to keep the oilers in edmonton.... the ones who could be making a lot more money off the interest alone from the money they have invested in the oilers, but they continue to just break even (maybe even losing some money)

these are the heros folks... not the spoiled millionaires who demand yet MORE millions to play a game that they supposedly love playing

Old
09-27-2003, 07:46 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
couldnt agree more... the real heros are the owners.... the guys who put up their money and all their time to keep the oilers in edmonton.... the ones who could be making a lot more money off the interest alone from the money they have invested in the oilers, but they continue to just break even (maybe even losing some money)

these are the heros folks... not the spoiled millionaires who demand yet MORE millions to play a game that they supposedly love playing
This is an excellent point and they have put there faith in Lowe to use the budget as they see fit. Therefore everyone should not be to worried about it, nor should they get mad about it, both sides are try to do whats best for themselves, NATURALLY

Closed Thread