HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks vs. Avs | 7 PM MTN | March 31, 10

Old
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Rookie players, rookie coach, rookie GM.

Heck, it's like blind leading the blind.

It won't shock me if we get outscored 3++ goals again. That seems to be Andy's MO these days.

What frustrates me to no end is that how cocky Sacco can be in handling the bench. Seriously, Boods should have started some of the games last week, once it becomes apparent that Andy is struggling.
I really hate to break it to everyone who is blaming Sacco, but would Budaj have stopped all those oddman rushes? I'm sure Anderson is a bit fatigued. He did make a mental blunder on their 3rd goal. But he also made some big stops as well. The defense has failed miserably and it's going to cost the team every time, no matter if Andy or Budaj is in net. Oddman rushes, breakaways, turnovers... that's what is killing the Avs right now.

The forecheck was great last night. The Ducks were having a really hard time trying to contain the offense. If the Avs would've finished off half of those chances, they would have gotten at least a point last night. But right now, it's apparent that the defense is the GLARING weakness on this team. Not Sacco & the goaltending.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
IDK about you guys but...I don't buy into Shattenkirk.

His defensive game is just not that good..He's a Brian Rafalski quality player, IMO.
If Shattenkirk is like Brian Rafalski, please sign me up.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Rookie players, rookie coach, rookie GM.

Heck, it's like blind leading the blind.

It won't shock me if we get outscored 3++ goals again. That seems to be Andy's MO these days.

What frustrates me to no end is that how cocky Sacco can be in handling the bench. Seriously, Boods should have started some of the games last week, once it becomes apparent that Andy is struggling.
I wasn't happy with the Sacco hiring when it happened, but I've been very pleased with his coaching this year. He's done so much more right than wrong, I can't bring myself to lay anything negative at his feet.

Two things I would like to have seen him done differently: Not play Anderson in so many games; and not sit Quincey in favor of Foote/Clark/Salei.

It's too late now to worry about Anderson's workload. Sacco has put himself in a position where he simply needs to ride Anderson from here on out. Can't play Budaj - the standings are too close. He should have rested him earlier.

And while Quincey is struggling, I don't think it's with effort. It's with execution and/or confidence, I think. So, what good is sitting him going to do? Seriously, is Foote or Clark going to outplay Quincey, even when Quincey isn't at 100% of his early season form? Certainly not. I don't get that.

Mostly though, the lack of talent and experience is showing its head here at the end of the season. I don't think it's Sacco. There's only so much he can do.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9 View Post
I really hate to break it to everyone who is blaming Sacco, but would Budaj have stopped all those oddman rushes? I'm sure Anderson is a bit fatigued. He did make a mental blunder on their 3rd goal. But he also made some big stops as well. The defense has failed miserably and it's going to cost the team every time, no matter if Andy or Budaj is in net. Oddman rushes, breakaways, turnovers... that's what is killing the Avs right now.

The forecheck was great last night. The Ducks were having a really hard time trying to contain the offense. If the Avs would've finished off half of those chances, they would have gotten at least a point last night. But right now, it's apparent that the defense is the GLARING weakness on this team. Not Sacco & the goaltending.

I agree with all your points and they are theories that should always be 100% correct, but I've seen too many games where teams were playing awful....the goaltender was changed...and a message was sent to the team and they responded.....Regardless of the difference in ability of the goaltenders......Sometimes it's more of a "wake up call" then anything

Sacco's tried to send messages (whether they failed or not) to a lot of the defensive players and it's gotten us nothing. But he adamantly refuses to send any type of message to Craig Anderson.

That being said, I think it's too late to do anything with Anderson now. Putting in Budaj for the biggest game of the year without your best goaltender in net is absurd. Sacco's definitely in a predicament right now with this whole situation, but it's his own fault for holding some players accountable and not others.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I agree with all your points and they are theories that should always be 100% correct, but I've seen too many games where teams were playing awful....the goaltender was changed...and a message was sent to the team and they responded.....Regardless of the difference in ability of the goaltenders......Sometimes it's more of a "wake up call" then anything

Sacco's tried to send messages (whether they failed or not) to a lot of the defensive players and it's gotten us nothing. But he adamantly refuses to send any type of message to Craig Anderson.

That being said, I think it's too late to do anything with Anderson now. Putting in Budaj for the biggest game of the year without your best goaltender in net is absurd. Sacco's definitely in a predicament right now with this whole situation, but it's his own fault for holding some players accountable and not others.
I can agree, Sacco has mismanaged things a bit. As we all know, this is his first season as an NHL coach. Maybe he handles things a little differently next season.

I'm with you on the Anderson situation too. It's too late in the game to bench the guy who got us this far. You can tell that's what's going on in his head too. So, it most likely will be Anderson from here on out.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
I can agree, Sacco has mismanaged things a bit. As we all know, this is his first season as an NHL coach. Maybe he handles things a little differently next season.

I'm with you on the Anderson situation too. It's too late in the game to bench the guy who got us this far. You can tell that's what's going on in his head too. So, it most likely will be Anderson from here on out.
So, I guess I am the only one who wants to see Boods tomorrow? Shaking things up helps. I mean, Kings started Bernier against Preds ( who owned Kings) and won. Sometimes all it needs is a new attitude and a new pair of eyes.

Andy needs a rest.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...g-right-ahead/

Dater is on point. Agree with everything he said here. This team just does not want it enough and it shows and yes the blown game against the Nucks have made them question themselves and made them question Anderson. Anderson is playing Peter Budaj hockey the team doesnt wanna trust him these days it seems and they shouldnt especially when he plays the puck like a ****** and cant focus. I watched that 3rd goal again and it was lazy, unfocused Anderson. Someone said it here before he may not be physically exhausted but mentally he has certainly hit a wall.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I wasn't happy with the Sacco hiring when it happened, but I've been very pleased with his coaching this year. He's done so much more right than wrong, I can't bring myself to lay anything negative at his feet.

Two things I would like to have seen him done differently: Not play Anderson in so many games; and not sit Quincey in favor of Foote/Clark/Salei.

It's too late now to worry about Anderson's workload. Sacco has put himself in a position where he simply needs to ride Anderson from here on out. Can't play Budaj - the standings are too close. He should have rested him earlier.

And while Quincey is struggling, I don't think it's with effort. It's with execution and/or confidence, I think. So, what good is sitting him going to do? Seriously, is Foote or Clark going to outplay Quincey, even when Quincey isn't at 100% of his early season form? Certainly not. I don't get that.

Mostly though, the lack of talent and experience is showing its head here at the end of the season. I don't think it's Sacco. There's only so much he can do.

-AB
Agree. Sacco still has my vote. He hasn't been perfect but he is a rookie coach. I'm willing to give him some slack. He should have rested Andy but I think he wanted to assure the team a PO spot before resting him. It might have backfired on him. Regardless it is done now and he must ride Andy until we have that last PO spot. Andy can rest after that if there are a game or two left.

I think we played pretty well last nigth. I think the defensive problem we had were mostly due by the Avs having to force the play so much. We would not have been in this position if we would have hit the f*&^%$ net early on in the game. I don't have enough fingers to count how many golden chances the Avs had to score and they just shot wide. We could have been able to play a better defensive game if a few of those had gone in.

I do agree with you though that this team is in need of a complete rebuild on the back end. It is obvious that we need more speed and better puck handling from the d. I can't wait for next year.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
IDK about you guys but...I don't buy into Shattenkirk.

I've watched him, and he looks to me like a harder-shooting John Michael Liles......

Perhaps I've totally missed it, but I don't see how this kid is a future first pairing d-man, like some have suggested...

His defensive game is just not that good..He's a Brian Rafalski quality player, IMO.
He's smarter than Liles defensively, but what he'll really bring next year is a good pass out of the zone, the pass that guys like Clark, Foote, Hannan, etc. have failed to make too many times this year, in turn leading to more chances against.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:

Agree.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Zodiac

the key to watching avalanche hockey, at least for me, is to try to not care too too much.

i know we're passionate fans and all ...but don't let it stress you out. this team has been a brain fart for the last 7 years or so. we should be used to it by now.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:

The point of playing a back up, is not that he will win you the game but its to rest youre starter. Also Budaj hasnt played bad this year, you dont know if he would have won that game or not.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Let's get this Friday GDT up.

Biggest game of the year. Probably longest GDT thread we'll have this year lol.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:18 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Let's get this Friday GDT up.

Biggest game of the year. Probably longest GDT thread we'll have this year lol.
We could title the GDT as "Colorado Avalanche vs. the NHL-Ready Gaelan Patterson"....

I kid, I kid.

Here's to a good game tomorrow

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
NovaDG33

IMO despite everyone's outrage toward the way Anderson played last night, he did have a couple of good saves the first half of the first period. I particularly haven't seen too many glove saves by him, and he did have a good one. He seemed to have crumbled after the first Ducks goal.

NovaDG33 is offline   Reply With Quote