HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Zac Dalpe our top prospect?

Old
04-01-2010, 03:48 PM
totalkev

vCash: 500
Is Zac Dalpe our top prospect?

I thought this deserved it's own thread, but if the mods think it goes into the (sorta long) prospects thread, that's fine.

So, according to the site you're on right now, Dalpe is our No. 4 prospect behind Boychuk/McBain/Bowman. Granted, the other guys are ahead developmentally, but which guy do you think has the highest ceiling?

If we're to believe the draft-day rumors/chatter, the Canes were deciding between Boychuk and Dalpe at No. 14 in 2008, so obviously, they don't see a lot of daylight between them. McBain and Bowman were both second-rounders.

Right now, I'd have to go: Dalpe, McBain, Boychuk, Bowman. Me nuts?

And to think, I'm pretty sure the Canes were going to snag Jared Staal in the second round had Dalpe not fell into their laps.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Bowman has to be the most overrated kid in our system

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
right now I'd go McBain and Boychuk as our top 2, then Dalpe, then Bowman. Personally I prefer McBain over Boychuk, the kid has shown in the AHL this year that he's ready to be a top 4 guy in the NHL, with top pairing upside. while he's older then Boychuk, finding a guy like McBain with his kind of skill set and NHL readiness in a top 4 role is a bit more rare IMO. Not many have done it over the past few years, and those that have are pretty highly regarded.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
karparules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Bowman has to be the most overrated kid in our system
I've been reading a lot of folks saying that not only is Bowman overrated, but that he doesn't have an NHL future either. He certainly may be overrated, but I'm not really sure why everyone is so quick to give up on this kid. This is only his first pro season after a very strong junior career. I also see a lot of Canes fans complaining that we rush our prospects. Maybe everyone's gotten so used to that as the norm in this organization, that they believe a kid has no future if he doesn't score 5 goals in his first few games (like Dalpe). I'm looking forward to seeing how Bowman does next year in Charlotte, because I still believe he can be a good NHLer.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

1) McBain
2) Boychuk
3) Dalpe

that's my order

Then to me there is a debate between Osala, Tlusty, and Bowman

Old
04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
I've been reading a lot of folks saying that not only is Bowman overrated, but that he doesn't have an NHL future either. He certainly may be overrated, but I'm not really sure why everyone is so quick to give up on this kid. This is only his first pro season after a very strong junior career. I also see a lot of Canes fans complaining that we rush our prospects. Maybe everyone's gotten so used to that as the norm in this organization, that they believe a kid has no future if he doesn't score 5 goals in his first few games (like Dalpe). I'm looking forward to seeing how Bowman does next year in Charlotte, because I still believe he can be a good NHLer.
Yep, give Bowman at least another season in the AHL. He may be overrated (I don't think he is), but if we don't give him more time to prove what he's worth then we're making the same mistake we did with Ladd. Not everyone that's a good player is going to start out as a great player in the AHL. Some just take longer to develop.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, give Bowman at least another season in the AHL. He may be overrated (I don't think he is), but if we don't give him more time to prove what he's worth then we're making the same mistake we did with Ladd. Not everyone that's a good player is going to start out as a great player in the AHL. Some just take longer to develop.
Not saying he doesn't deserve more years... I think he does... Just saying, I think he's more like 6th in line now in our prospect pool

Old
04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I think the fact that Bowman's gone from underrated to overrated now back to underrated (if he doesn't have any future) over a couple seasons speaks volumes about the kid's inconsistency. Nothing is more frustrating than that.

But this thread isn't about him. I don't know much about Dalpe, but I'm looking forward to watching him.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Dalpe has the stuff, he really does. Chances are good that if he had been a CHL product he would have already been in the NHL this season in fits and starts like Boychuk and the revolving door in Albany. The question is what does that say about his upside?

Personally, I think Boychuk and McBain still have a better top end potential, which is what these rankings are generally about, than does Dalpe.

As far as Bowman goes, I think I was right on the mark when I coined the comparison to Joffrey Lupul. Two wildly talented, wildly inconsistent players who will likely never amount to what they could be. Right now, he's not even in that area but as time goes on he could be that kind of player.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

McBain is. Boychuk close second. Both kids are going to be studs next season.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

He'll be our best prospect (if we're talking ones who haven't got to the NHL yet) until June 25th, then he'll be our second best prospect.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I think the fact that Bowman's gone from underrated to overrated now back to underrated (if he doesn't have any future) over a couple seasons speaks volumes about the kid's inconsistency. Nothing is more frustrating than that.
It's ridiculous how people are talking about Bowman now, since he's looked sub par in his handful of NHL games and has had consistency problems his first pro season. Some people are expecting way too much out of a 3rd round pick in his first pro season. A year or two ago (especially when Bowman's junior team won the Memorial Cup) people here couldn't stop slobbering all over the guy. But now? Oh he's a bust that will never amount to anything in the NHL.

Old
04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
It's ridiculous how people are talking about Bowman now, since he's looked sub par in his handful of NHL games and has had consistency problems his first pro season. Some people are expecting way too much out of a 3rd round pick in his first pro season. A year or two ago (especially when Bowman's junior team won the Memorial Cup) people here couldn't stop slobbering all over the guy. But now? Oh he's a bust that will never amount to anything in the NHL.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm just surprised at how far away he is. I certainly haven't given up on the guy or anything.

Old
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
well, i think sutter has impacted the way some around here look at prospects for the worst and bowman is getting undeserved flak. im not giving up on bowman at all, but he has been the one i have questioned most as overhyped for the last 2 years. he doesnt seem to have hockey sense, or offensive sense, isnt confident enough, doesnt seem quick enough. he has speed so i take that as his brain is effecting his speed. a great shot only matters if you get into position and get shots off. he looks like he needs a couple of years of seasoning, and then we'll see if he develops his head. any guy who is only hyped for his shot is questionable to me. his one big skill carried him through junior, he has to develop everything else if he wants to make it in the bigs. confidence is the big thing. jamie mcbains two biggest attributes is he wants the puck all the time, and gets his shot to the net. he is all confidence.

boychuk/mcbain tied
dalpe
bowman
lawson
borer
chaput
terry

thats my list

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
totalkev

The knock on Brett Hull was that he was all shot, and no ability to get it off. Guys like this either adjust and find ways to get open, or they don't, and we don't hear from them again.

Old
04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Folks are too polar around here. If you speak ill of a prospect, you're writing him off. If you talk him up, you're overrating him. There is a middle ground. You can be encouraged by what you've seen without expecting far too much, and you can be equally discouraged by what you've seen and weigh that in too.

Bowman simply hasn't impressed me because of his unwillingness to play uncharacteristic hockey and put the work in. He seems like he wants to make his his way, and it's frustrating. I don't think that means the end of his prospect status, only that he's going to have to shake that off if he wants to play up here.

Boychuk did it. He hasn't lit the world on fire with his play, but he has shown the effort. That's all I want to see from these kids at this age. Because we know the talent is there, but sans the effort the talent means nothing. That makes Bowman a MUCH bigger risk right now.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Folks are too polar around here. If you speak ill of a prospect, you're writing him off. If you talk him up, you're overrating him. There is a middle ground. You can be encouraged by what you've seen without expecting far too much, and you can be equally discouraged by what you've seen and weigh that in too.

Bowman simply hasn't impressed me because of his unwillingness to play uncharacteristic hockey and put the work in. He seems like he wants to make his his way, and it's frustrating. I don't think that means the end of his prospect status, only that he's going to have to shake that off if he wants to play up here.

Boychuk did it. He hasn't lit the world on fire with his play, but he has shown the effort. That's all I want to see from these kids at this age. Because we know the talent is there, but sans the effort the talent means nothing. That makes Bowman a MUCH bigger risk right now.
....+1

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 02:34 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Boychuk has looked just as lost as Bowman to me, IMO. Boychuk looks better stat wise, but honestly Maurice only plays each of them sparing minutes so how are we expect them to develop? Honestly after seeing how Maurice has treated Boychuk, I fully understand why Maple Leaf fans feel he ruined Tlusty. I just don't understand how Boychuk gets a free pass and Bowman doesn't.. when theyre both put it situations to fail.

Old
04-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Boychuk has looked just as lost as Bowman to me, IMO. Boychuk looks better stat wise, but honestly Maurice only plays each of them sparing minutes so how are we expect them to develop? Honestly after seeing how Maurice has treated Boychuk, I fully understand why Maple Leaf fans feel he ruined Tlusty. I just don't understand how Boychuk gets a free pass and Bowman doesn't.. when theyre both put it situations to fail.
While Boychuck hasn't been great, he's looked much better than Bowman. Boychuk looks like he could be ready next year, Bowman looks like he's 2-3 years away...

Old
04-03-2010, 09:04 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
While Boychuck hasn't been great, he's looked much better than Bowman. Boychuk looks like he could be ready next year, Bowman looks like he's 2-3 years away...
And be ready at 22-23? What a shock!

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
karparules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post

Sorry if my post sounded like I was attacking you. It just reminded me of another post that was basically giving up on Bowman. I agree that he hasn't yet shown himself to be ready for the NHL. However, I think that there is still reason to be optimistic about his future. It would not be unusual for teams that are known for developing their draft picks, such as Detroit and New Jersey, to let a guy like this stay in the AHL for 2 or even 3 seasons before giving him a real shot in the NHL.
I will disagree with you about whether or not Bowman is showing effort. I don't see how you can tell that from a few NHL games and one injury-plagued AHL season. He clearly has NHL-quality offensive instincts and probably just needs a little time to put together a more complete game.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote