HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rbk Edge Socks. Worth $25?

Old
04-03-2010, 04:04 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Rbk Edge Socks. Worth $25?

Just looking at the Rbk Edge socks. They're about $25. Does anyone notice a difference? Regular socks cost about $12.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Why not try them out and see?

Even at $25, it's not like it's going to break the bank. They seem to have some decent features that would merit a try.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Badger36

Unless the socks are made out of gold or will do the skating for you, they arent worth the cost, IMO.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Unless the socks are made out of gold or will do the skating for you, they arent worth the cost, IMO.
I guess you missed the product description then.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
Why not try them out and see?

Even at $25, it's not like it's going to break the bank. They seem to have some decent features that would merit a try.
Yeah... but you can get two regular pairs instead of one Edge pair. I probably wouldn't try them because I have no clue which advantage they have that justifies that price.

If you'll buy them please share your experiences.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

RBK add about 2MPH(3km/h) on your speed.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I'd think the light weight and breathability is perfect for summer hockey.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Well I was hoping for some more serious answers, but Salzig hit my point dead on, is it worth getting 1 pair for the price of two if the benefits aren't worth it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 05:52 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well I was hoping for some more serious answers, but Salzig hit my point dead on, is it worth getting 1 pair for the price of two if the benefits aren't worth it.
They're socks man, RBK just made them to go with the Edge jerseys, you could get two pairs and choose a variety of colors, can match with jerseys too

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 12:34 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I'd think the light weight and breathability is perfect for summer hockey.
This is right. I've been using a pair for a few weeks, and they are much lighter and more comfortable than the heavy sweater socks.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:59 AM
DevilsFan38

What I've heard (never actually tried them myself) is that the pro Edge socks are much nicer than the retail version, and worth trying to hunt down if you want to try them out. I've also heard that they're really nice and breathable, but that the downside is that you will slide forever if you fall on them. I also think I remember hearing that the retail socks only have velcro on one side of the sock (front, I think), so if you use jock shorts with velcro to hold them up that could be a bit of an issue, you might have to sew on another velcro tab.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:03 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
What I've heard (never actually tried them myself) is that the pro Edge socks are much nicer than the retail version, and worth trying to hunt down if you want to try them out. I've also heard that they're really nice and breathable, but that the downside is that you will slide forever if you fall on them. I also think I remember hearing that the retail socks only have velcro on one side of the sock (front, I think), so if you use jock shorts with velcro to hold them up that could be a bit of an issue, you might have to sew on another velcro tab.
I own the retail version after going to the LHS, and couldn't tell much difference between the 2, perhaps the "pro version" is a tiny bit thicker, but they were nearly identical.

Both just have the front velcro tab, so I splurged and had my local tailor sew one on the back.

I cannot recommend them highly enough compared to the sauna that is the old-fashioned sweater sock. Those following my other posts can tell that that is my least favorite item by far of any hockey gear, right ahead of shin pads that need shin straps or shin tape because the manufacturer went the cheap route

----------------------------
I'll throw in a plug for the online store I bought them from:

www.greatskate.com

Good people there - plus they had solid colors in stock like black, navy, etc., which no one else seemed to have lately.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 04-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Buy them at your team's gear sale. I got mine for 10$.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I wear the old fashioned socks sometimes, mostly i wear roller hockey pants but anyway .... when wearing regular socks I use the Itech jock short like you mentioned and use just the front velcro. i tried the back one as well but it keeps undoing and with just the front it seems to hold up good enough anyway.

I think I should get these type of socks mentioned here just because of being cooler. it is why i wear roller hockey pants as the backs of the legs are mesh and they are nice and cool to wear.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:40 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I own the retail version after going to the LHS, and couldn't tell much difference between the 2, perhaps the "pro version" is a tiny bit thicker, but they were nearly identical.

Both just have the front velcro tab, so I splurged and had my local tailor sew one on the back.

I cannot recommend them highly enough compared to the sauna that is the old-fashioned sweater sock. Those following my other posts can tell that that is my least favorite item by far of any hockey gear, right ahead of shin pads that need shin straps or shin tape because the manufacturer went the cheap route

----------------------------
I'll throw in a plug for the online store I bought them from:

www.greatskate.com

Good people there - plus they had solid colors in stock like black, navy, etc., which no one else seemed to have lately.
you sure you saw the "pro" version? the pro version does not come with velcro at all...i have 2 pairs of pro's, and yes, as was said earlier, the material is a bit thicker and robust. the pro's also come in different sizes...L, XL and XL+. retail edge is pretty much XL.

i do notice a bit more breathability but nothing substantial. i'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine and just going with traditional from here on it. just don't think they're worth it in the end.

btw, the reason the retail edge socks only have 1 velcro tab in the front is that they were designed to work in conjunction with the 9k hockey pants that have an integrated velcro section to hold up the edge socks.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Buy them at your team's gear sale. I got mine for 10$.
Didn't even think of this! Good call ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Didn't even think of this! Good call ...
the Thrashers were selling them for $2 a pair. I walked out with a stack of 'em.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
This is right. I've been using a pair for a few weeks, and they are much lighter and more comfortable than the heavy sweater socks.
i'd agree. i got some used pro stock. only downside is that they will wear out and tear easier, but i love the fact that they are lighter

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote