HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Who pays?

Old
04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Hrad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
You ever seen Ovechkin's curve?...I've got a practice used Ovechkin stick and the curve is ugly as hell. Don't know how he uses it.
Because it's so crazy, that people want to try it. I can't imagine actually playing with it but I could probably have some fun for a couple of hours just trying to shoot with it.

The curve is like a Sakic, except like 300% more exaggerated in every way.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
Umm... seriously doubt that.

You're joking right?
Nope. Sorry for spoiling your day, Mr ccm fan boy

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Teams want players to perform the best they can and they make millions and millions of dollars because of them. The least they can do is foot the bill for the sticks and gear.

Ive heard that most teams have a budget of around $750,000 a year for equipment. That is but a drop in the bucket for what a team pulls in throughout the year.

You can figure a top player goes through about 200 sticks a season, about $40,000 worth of sticks at retail. Thats maybe half the budget, but again, a small price to pay to have your guys performing at the top.

I heard an interview with Eric Fehr of the Caps yesterday and he was asked about how sticks are breaking more and often at very poor times and why players werent going to more solid sticks. He said the shot benefits far out weigh the occasional snap at the wrong time. He said he goes through 2-3 sticks a game.

It all comes down to how much is presenting the best team you can put on the ice worth it to the owners.
The Bruins spend $400,000 per annum on sticks according to GM Peter Chiarelli .... this does not cover skates, helmets, gloves, trainer tape etc.

$750,000 may be a small estimate.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
750k probably isn't that bad. AHL guys can usually wear their gloves, and then there's the stock laying around. Two sticks is a pair of skates, I'd say the average is probably 3 or so pairs of skates a season. Most under the uniform equipment is kept from year to year. Most helmets are kept for a few seasons and just re-padded. Some guys keep the same pants for quite some time and just replace the shell. Goalies usually have two whole sets of equipment at a time.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
750k probably isn't that bad. AHL guys can usually wear their gloves, and then there's the stock laying around. Two sticks is a pair of skates, I'd say the average is probably 3 or so pairs of skates a season. Most under the uniform equipment is kept from year to year. Most helmets are kept for a few seasons and just re-padded. Some guys keep the same pants for quite some time and just replace the shell. Goalies usually have two whole sets of equipment at a time.
I can imagine that once you figure in everything from shower gel to plane travel and hotal accomodations the pricetag must be pretty big for everything.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Superstar Treatment

Well travel expenses, stipends, stuff like that comes from a different department. A lot of stuff, especially stock gloves, pants, helmets, sticks in stock curves, is kept from year to year. So a 750k budget can get you pretty far if you have 100k worth of stuff sitting at the practice rink from last year.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Superstar Treatment

Also, most teams have equipment sales now, those alone probably bring back another 50-75k. I was at the devils sale and there were about 300 sticks, priced between 75-100 dollars, 2/3rds of them sold.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Well travel expenses, stipends, stuff like that comes from a different department. A lot of stuff, especially stock gloves, pants, helmets, sticks in stock curves, is kept from year to year. So a 750k budget can get you pretty far if you have 100k worth of stuff sitting at the practice rink from last year.
yeah I know, the thread just got me thinking of what the overall budget for all hockey operations must be.

I doubt they would ever publish it but it explains why it costs over $100 to sit behind the goalie at a Bruins game.

Old
04-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
I'd say there's about 200 in R&D, 250 in materials and 150 in retail mark up.
Nothing close.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:37 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
... and composite sticks will be on the agenda in the off season for discussion by team owners. I doubt the players association will go along with having players pay for their own sticks but it will be discussed.
You'd be surprised what the owners discuss and budget. See those Nike/Bauer gloves this season with Nike sharpied over? It was because Bauer only paid the NHL fee for the Bauer logo not the Nike/Bauer logo and teams required players to use up the remaining stock in gloves. E. Staal is a good example of this.

Ovechkin's stick is NOT a Bauer painted as a CCM. Companies don't do that, if you want to look back and see an example of a player doing it go check out Hull's old blacked out "Mission" shafts. My guess is that Ovechkin's stick is actually a Reebok 10K as it's the same OEM that made the V10 and V130... It seems apparent that he didn't like the TT-made stuff but CCM would never paint over a Bauer stick.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
The Jamison

750k? I always though that number was higher. I remember being at a Wings game watching a few sticks (on both teams) get trashed before the start of the game. I would guess about $1000 worth of sticks got trashed just in warm up.

I do wonder what the cost of operations are for a team in a season. The Wings have their own plane so i wouldn't be shocked if the Ilitch's have saved some money over time because of it. I wonder what other teams pay.

The Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
jsykes

$750k is just an estimate. I've heard it can go a little lower than that for some teams to around a million for others.

But you can figure that the majority of the budget is for sure sticks, second, skates and then all the rest.

I've heard the average player goes through 6-8 pairs of skates a year, though some guys only go through 2 or 3 and others as many as 10 or 12, so a 6-8 is a good average. But that is less than $3000 a player in skates, so its a drop in the bucket compared to sticks.

But again, these equipment budgets are really minor in what an NHL team brings in a year. Equipment budgets are in the sub 1% of team income. Hardly a percentage I can see them fighting the NHLPA over if the guys like their composite sticks.

I bet in the long run, the difference in total price of sticks isnt really all that different from the time of wood sticks or aluminum ones. Figuring inflation into things, a top end wood stick might now cost $60+ a piece and players went through them MUCH faster than they do composite because they would get soggy and useless after barely any use. Guys might go through 6 a game or more if they were using wood. If a guy is going through two composites at $200 each compared to 6 woods at $60 each and you're talking a difference of 10% or so in cost. Not huge savings a the end of the year when you consider the total budget.

Another thing to remember when it comes to sticks is that not all players are using the top end sticks by a company. MANY of the S19s and SE sticks you see out there are repainted STs which is only a $150 stick compared to a $220 one. That is a significant savings in the long run as well.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

"Who pays"? .... I do believe the fans do.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:01 PM
jsykes

Actually, one other expense to think about that could be significant in the scheme of things is steel. I read something recently from an equipment manager for the Caps who said they change player steel every 2-3 weeks. At $70 a pop, that is a lot of steel to go through and with the new Fusion steel from Bauer that you know they will ALL be using since TUUKs are on like 95% of the skates out there, you can instantly double that cost for steel.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

On the topic of sticks, I'm almost positive that teams don't pay what we pay retail for the pro stock sticks. Pro stocks aren't warrantied. So when a guy breaks a stick, its not a 200-220 dollar stick its more like a 100-120 dollar stick for the pro package.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Actually, one other expense to think about that could be significant in the scheme of things is steel. I read something recently from an equipment manager for the Caps who said they change player steel every 2-3 weeks. At $70 a pop, that is a lot of steel to go through and with the new Fusion steel from Bauer that you know they will ALL be using since TUUKs are on like 95% of the skates out there, you can instantly double that cost for steel.
That is a good point .... I hadn't thought about that. That varies player to player I am sure as well. One team probably pays more than another if they have a fussy lot.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:25 PM
rinkrat22

One other point about costs. They are buying in bulk, and I am sure a significant discount on all equipment. Also I am sure the "costs" for equipment are a major tax deduction come april 15th.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
jsykes

Equipment cost is of course a tax deduction. However, I do not think they're getting as big a "deal" on pricing as some think here. Its not like they're a retailer buying at wholesale that gets deals the more they buy. They are a customer just like anyone else and are buying at retail pricing. While they may get a small discount for buying a lot of stuff, they arent getting it at wholesale or anything like that.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
ModSquad

Quote:
Equipment cost is of course a tax deduction. However, I do not think they're getting as big a "deal" on pricing as some think here. Its not like they're a retailer buying at wholesale that gets deals the more they buy. They are a customer just like anyone else and are buying at retail pricing. While they may get a small discount for buying a lot of stuff, they arent getting it at wholesale or anything like that.
They are more of a "retailer" than a "customer."

So, they are getting the same pricing as a retailer would, and in some cases, paying a bit more than a retailer. They just don't resell them to make their money back as the player is the end user.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
jsykes

Hmm, thats a little different than the article I read with an equipment manager. He seemed to make a point to say they were just a regular customer like anyone else and that they were basically paying normal pricing. Little deal due to volume, but not getting any kind of screaming deal or anything.

But I guess the bottom line is the team is paying for it, they arent getting it free or under any special arrangement, even for endorsed players.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:51 AM
ModSquad

What league?

It's not a screaming deal, they pay what a retailer would pay.

Not trying to bust your balls, but I work for a NHL franchise.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM
noobman

The team pays the bill, unless the player is being paid to wear a certain brand of gear.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
ModSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
The team pays the bill, unless the player is being paid to wear a certain brand of gear.
Wrong again - the team still pays for it. A player endorsement is an agreement between the player and the brand to wear the brand.

For example -

Player A endorses Brand A.
Brand A pays Player A to wear Brand A.
Brand A sends equipment to Team A for Player A along with an invoice.
Team A pays Brand A for Player A's equipment.