HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers had done deal for Stamkos

Old
04-04-2010, 05:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers had done deal for Stamkos

Glen Sather started talking to then part TB owner Len Barrie about Stamkos when the Rangers played TB in Prague.

Quote:
The Rangers' GM told Slap Shots on Thursday that he "shook hands" on a trade last year that would have brought Steven Stamkos from Tampa Bay to New York less than halfway through the brilliant 20-year-old center's rookie season.
Quote:
By the time the Blueshirts visited Tampa on Thanksgiving of 2008, the talks had become serious. Barrie was asking to choose two or three from a wish list that featured Michael Del Zotto, Evgeny Grachev, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Dan Girardi.
Quote:
"How close did we come?" Sather asked rhetorically, repeating the question we posed to him as the Rangers practiced in Tampa on Thursday. "We shook hands on it, that's how close.

"I'd been on it since Europe. I had an agreement with Len Barrie. I asked him if he had the authority to make the trade, and he assured me that he did, because he was an owner.

"But the next day, I found out that he didn't. He went to run the deal by [GM] Brian Lawton, who wanted no part of it. As I understood it, the way it was told to me, Barrie was still going to make the deal, but then he was told that he couldn't unless he got the approval of [co-owner] Oren Koules.

"Koules shot it down," said Sather. "That was the end of it."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Vq92kFkpEFVBMI

How did Brooks get Sather to discuss this on the record?Usually a GM discusses something like this years later in a book or an interview when he is no longer the GM. Who told Brooks the names of the players on the list?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

What a misleading headline. LOL @ the story.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Zil

Well that's depressing.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:43 AM
chosen

Sounds like Sather trying to convince us that he is smart, all evidence to the contrary.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Zil

On second thought, perhaps Brooks talked to Sather on April 1st?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:53 AM
beastly115

Oh, I guess Sather isn't so bad afterall.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:23 AM
UAGoalieGuy

That has to be an April Fools joke by Sather.

I would have moved any of those guys for Stamkos.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Levitate

That would be an awesome Aprils fools prank

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:29 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Honestly, if this is true, this makes me sad...

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Isn't this guy not the co-owner of the Lightning now? I can see why... lol

Any combo of two of those players listed would have been a huge steal for Stamkos. Imagine Stamkos playing with Gaborik this year....

Old
04-04-2010, 07:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Should have taken them to arbitration, like the Lindros case...Snider had a handshake deal with Aubut...just don't have Todd Bertuzzi's father as the arbiter.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
The Rangers' GM told Slap Shots on Thursday that he "shook hands" on a trade last year that would have brought Steven Stamkos from Tampa Bay to New York less than halfway through the brilliant 20-year-old center's rookie season.
Thursday was April 1st. Looks like Brooks is passing the joke on to his readers three days too late...

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Turambar

Printed papers are already having enough trouble printing anything with credibility (see: New York Times, The), I doubt the sports writers are going to just make things up for readers. If Brooks had imagined this, he wouldn't have directly quoted Slats, he'd just have given vague generalities.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
XO

Lundqvist, Gaborik & Stamkos would've been something to build a team around lol..

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:50 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Would have solved the Rangers #1 center problems for years to come...

Old
04-04-2010, 08:54 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Dosen't stamkos play wing with St.louis?

Also , people drool over this now but let's be reality () a year ago when stamkos was just coming into the league people would have second guessed themselves on dealing the youth for him.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
With the entry level contract for Stamkos and the cap space freed up from sending over some players to TB we could of conceivably had Gaborik - Stamkos - Zherdev(3mil wasnt THAT bad) this season. Oh what could have been.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why would Glen be revealing his discussions with TB regarding Stamkos to Brooks?Sather NEVER talks to the media. It's been that way since the lockout. When Sather did talk to the media,he was always never careful when discussing players on other teams. I read in Ken Campbell's THN column a few months ago about Bob Gainey having a deal nixed by TB ownership for Vinny involving Price. Brooks mentioned the Vinny for Price deal in his column also. A few weeks later,Gainey resigned.

Does Larry know something about Sather's future? He wrote this a few days ago

Quote:
This isn't the time for big-picture analysis. The summer is the time for that necessary examination of the season. This isn't the time for putting things in context, either, because the context is written solely in the standings.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0k8joWZdU

Larry is Mr.Big-Picture analysis. He wanted the Rangers to sell off Prospal and other assets for prospects/picks looking at the big picture of the present being bleak. Now Brooks is saying to wait until the summer for necessary examination. Larry is close to Messier. Larry had the exclusive when Messier joined the Rangers FO. When Messier left in 1997,Larry was essentially Messier's agent in tearing down the Garden. Does Larry know something about Messier taking over? Messier was on Rangers road trip to Florida.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:12 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Dosen't stamkos play wing with St.louis?

Also , people drool over this now but let's be reality () a year ago when stamkos was just coming into the league people would have second guessed themselves on dealing the youth for him.
Second guessing trading some youth for the #1 overall pick from that most recent draft? Who had 23 goals and 46 points in his rookie year on a terrible Tampa team? I sure as hell wouldn't be second guessing myself. I'd be happier then a pig in you know what if that happened.

If a deal like that is offered, and you don't have to give up Staal or Lundqvist for it (Not saying I would deal them for a player like Stamkos, but a GM on the other side of the table should at least be asking for Staal for a player like Stamkos), you have to take it.

At that point in time, MDZ was still in the OHL and we had no idea he'd be as good as he is playing this season with the Rangers. Grachev was playing well in his first season in the OHL. Dubi had put up 13 goals and 41 points. Girardi was regressing (IMO at least).

You make that deal everyday of the week and twice on Sundays, as the old and over-used saying goes. lol

Old
04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Second guessing trading some youth for the #1 overall pick from that most recent draft? Who had 23 goals and 46 points in his rookie year on a terrible Tampa team? I sure as hell wouldn't be second guessing myself. I'd be happier then a pig in you know what if that happened.

If a deal like that is offered, and you don't have to give up Staal or Lundqvist for it (Not saying I would deal them for a player like Stamkos, but a GM on the other side of the table should at least be asking for Staal for a player like Stamkos), you have to take it.

At that point in time, MDZ was still in the OHL and we had no idea he'd be as good as he is playing this season with the Rangers. Grachev was playing well in his first season in the OHL. Dubi had put up 13 goals and 41 points. Girardi was regressing (IMO at least).

You make that deal everyday of the week and twice on Sundays, as the old and over-used saying goes. lol
It says they had "shaken on it" by the time the rangers vistited in THANKSGIVING TIME.How many points did stamkos have at that point 15? 20?

Just saying people wouldn't be saying the same thing they are now.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why would Glen be revealing his discussions with TB regarding Stamkos to Brooks?Sather NEVER talks to the media. It's been that way since the lockout. When Sather did talk to the media,he was always never careful when discussing players on other teams. I read in Ken Campbell's THN column a few months ago about Bob Gainey having a deal nixed by TB ownership for Vinny involving Price. Brooks mentioned the Vinny for Price deal in his column also. A few weeks later,Gainey resigned.

Does Larry know something about Sather's future? He wrote this a few days ago

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0k8joWZdU

Larry is Mr.Big-Picture analysis. He wanted the Rangers to sell off Prospal and other assets for prospects/picks looking at the big picture of the present being bleak. Now Brooks is saying to wait until the summer for necessary examination. Larry is close to Messier. Larry had the exclusive when Messier joined the Rangers FO. When Messier left in 1997,Larry was essentially Messier's agent in tearing down the Garden. Does Larry know something about Messier taking over? Messier was on Rangers road trip to Florida.
May be this is the end of the road for Sather? Stepping out of the spotlight as Rangers GM and staying on a President (And possibly helping with trade negociations, because we have to admit it, he is very good a trading), and Messier taking over day-to-day operations as GM. Have Clark do the draft and Sather help out on the trade negociations until Messier gets his feet wet and learn the ropes a bit. I wouldn't be against it, as long as his first act of business is waiving Redden.

Old
04-04-2010, 09:21 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
It says they had "shaken on it" by the time the rangers vistited in THANKSGIVING TIME.How many points did stamkos have at that point 15? 20?

And how were MDZ and Grachev doing at that time in the season as well? I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Grachev get off to a slow start with Brampton last year?

Trading an early 20's 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for the first overall pick in the same draft (Who was playing in the NHL at that point in time while the other were still playing in the OHL), I think most fans would pretty happy. I mean I'd be streaking down the quad to the gymnasium (See if anyone gets that reference lol).

Old
04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:

2 goals, 5 assists in 20 games.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:21 AM
OverTheCap

This sounds like BS to me. I don't understand why Sather would choose to talk about that to the press.

And is it a common practice for a GM to approach another team's owner about a trade? Can anyone imagine a GM talking to Dolan about making a trade? It makes me laugh just to think about it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:25 AM
IG88

This makes me so sad.

Would have easily been worth it and as was mentioned, solved NYR problems down the middle for YEARS to come.

Bummer.

Happy *****ing Easter.

IG88 is offline   Reply With Quote